Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Also, here is why you should persist with the main quest in Skyrim, at least for a few hours: You get this ability quite early on. And it's as amazing as it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Someone gifted me Skyrim over Steam a few hours ago, but I'm not sure if I want to play it. Do the animations and graphics still resemble something made in the early 2000's? Are all dungeons canned environments again?
Is the writing still a terrible pile of poo poo? I don't recall anything from Fallout 3 or Oblivion other than every NPC existing to give you a quest, sell items or say a random fact about the game world. They were all devoid of personality, unlike Nier and The Witcher 2 which put some effort into making most NPCs feel like human beings as opposed to lifeless robots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GUI posted:

Someone gifted me Skyrim over Steam a few hours ago, but I'm not sure if I want to play it.

My thoughts on the Elder Scrolls series:

Arena - Couldn't stand it.
Daggerfall - Loved the concepts, but it was so broken I loathed it.
Morrowind - Interesting setting. Painfully brown. Combat put me off it forever.
Oblivion - After an expansion and some key mods, quite a lot of fun. Nice.
Skyrim - I'm not even thinking about mods. Loving this from the start. First game in the series I can say I've loved, even.

Great setting (basically mythological viking-land, half conquered by the fantasy roman empire), much improved writing/voicework (not great, but best in the series so far), great graphics (character animation is vastly improved), fewer stats and less min-maxing, more adventuring. Each dungeon seems pretty distinct and well designed, most ending in a unique setpiece boss fight, like a teleporting archer-warlord who reappears along with two decoy clones each time he moves.

It's not as tight or refined as, say, Demon's Souls or The Witcher, but that's fine. It's an enormous bloody sandbox game that lets me literally gently caress off, ignore the plot and climb a mountain for an hour. Lots of stuff to see and find, and it's a world that I'm enjoying getting lost in, because I know I'll find something cool every 10 minutes or so.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 13, 2011

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Now that I and most players in Resistance 3 are high level and have unlocked the majority of weapons and abilities, I've gotta say that the multiplayer really is hilariously chaotic fun. The gunfights are absolutely batshit insane and it's awesome arcadey fun.

If anybody here bought the game for the singleplayer and has the game just sitting on their shelf collecting dust, do yourself a favour and boot up the multiplayer right now. They have 5x XP this weekend, and the most recent patch added two new maps for free (as well as making the framerate smooth as silk).

I think that this game and SOCOM 4 are my surprise hits of the year personally, both are two vastly underappreciated games that I just cannot get enough of online :3:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure there's a really good game in Skyrim. I think my biggest issue is that it FEELS like it hasn't matured, technically. It's a Bethesda game so I'm willing to accept some bank. But the movement, framerate, and general stutteriness, that seems to pervade EVERYTHING just makes it feel like someone put a fresh coat of paint on the Oblivion Engine, and not much more. INDIVIDUAL things are impressive, but overall, it's bad. Like a bear not moving its legs, but ROTATING to face me, THEN starting to walk. 2011 people. TWENTY-ELEVEN!
:)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dominic White posted:

Also, here is why you should persist with the main quest in Skyrim, at least for a few hours: You get this ability quite early on. And it's as amazing as it looks.

I just finished downloading Skyrim and I can't wait to start playing. This is even better than taking a paralysis wand to people in Oblivion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dominic White posted:

There's also another shout you get that makes killing dragons trivial, and it's a god send once you get it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also, just while I'm kinda bitching.... the first mage dude you see in Whitehall sounds like he's reading off a teleprompter... badly. :)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Awww yeah, platinum #2: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. :cool:

I was terrified the entire time I had accidentally killed someone or set of an alarm early on or whatever, but nope, got to the end, and got my Pacifist + Legend + Foxiest trophies which left only one:

The hardest one, to me, the one where you save Faridah. Holy gently caress I tried that a dozen times during my hard run, had to eventually reload a save right before then and crank the difficulty down and also I ended up killing a bunch of dudes because I eventually just said gently caress it and started throwing conc mines and hitting the typhoon button - I'm just glad I didn't blow up Faridah's chopper myself, if that's possible.

This was an absolutely amazing game, drat. Going to have to buy the DLC here soon.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Dominic White posted:

My thoughts on the Elder Scrolls series:

Arena - Couldn't stand it.
Daggerfall - Loved the concepts, but it was so broken I loathed it.
Morrowind - Interesting setting. Painfully brown. Combat put me off it forever.
Oblivion - After an expansion and some key mods, quite a lot of fun. Nice.
Skyrim - I'm not even thinking about mods. Loving this from the start. First game in the series I can say I've loved, even.

This is basically EXACTLY how I feel about the series, save the fact that I still hated Oblivion. (mostly due to the setting being really boring, hated the gates)

I'm playing Skyrim on PC though, so I'm not sure how it is on PS3. But I am having a BLAST with it, everything feels so much more refined and smoother than the previous games. I'd suggest everyone try being a mage and dual casting spells!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There's also another shout you get that makes killing dragons trivial, and it's a god send once you get it.

Well I'm definitely not taking that because killing dragons is awesome and hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't figured out yet if dragons scale in stats, or if they are all the same. It sure seems like they are getting easier and easier to kill, but maybe I'm just getting better at it.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I have a Resonance of Fate save sitting in chapter 14 that I've left for a long time. I want to finish the game, but at this point I just want to be able to steamroll everything and watch cutscenes. Is there something I can do to make this game nice and easy for the final stretch? Right now I've got my characters at level 63 (29/23/11), 53 (17/27/9), and 55 (17/25/13).

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Mod your guns to have eight barrels and five scopes.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

As far as I know, RoF is one of those games where you can't really steamroll stuff short of grinding levels and honestly the game gets a little sloggy towards the end. You can give characters weapon types they're low levels in to gain levels faster, but that's about it. You've only got 2 chapters to go though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone know what happened to the Journey? Did that game ever come out? The beta test over the summer was really promising and i've been waiting forever for that game to release, but ThatGameCompany has been pretty silent about it since the beta.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the Journey? Did that game ever come out? The beta test over the summer was really promising and i've been waiting forever for that game to release, but ThatGameCompany has been pretty silent about it since the beta.

It got delayed until next year. Probably for the best given how busy this season has been and it'd just get lost otherwise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axleblaze posted:

It got delayed until next year. Probably for the best given how busy this season has been and it'd just get lost otherwise.

Bummer, i'm really looking forward to that game. But as you say, probably for the best.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. Modern Warfare 3 - 56 countries
2. Battlefield 3 - 54 countries
3. FIFA 12 - 50 countries
4. Uncharted 3 - 48 countries
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops - 23 countries

6. Skyrim - 16 countries
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 11 countries
8. Gran Turismo 5 - 10 countries

Other games showing up in under 10 countries each in no order:
Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 2, Dark Souls, FIFA 11, GTA IV, Pro Evolution Soccer 11, NHL 12, Driver San Francisco, Sengoku Basara 3 Utage, Winning Eleven 2012

Modern Warfare 3 easily took the top spot, while Skyrim showed up in some places.

Batman Arkham City almost disappeared everywhere. Only 5 countries still have it in their top 5, way down from 22 last week.

Number of countries with Black Ops in their top 5 dropped to almost half from last week.

As of this posting, the only countries that don't have Modern Warfare 3 in their top 5 are Argentina and Japan. The only countries without Battlefield 3 are Mexico, Peru, Colombia, and Bulgaria.

Average rank of Modern Warfare 3 in the places that have it : between 1st and 2nd
Average rank of Battlefield 3 in the places that have it : around 3rd

Top 5 in the places talked about here:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Goddamn does Skyrim own. I'm barely two hours into it and I'm already running around like some sort of insane Sith Lord dual-wielding spectral swords, shocking wolves to death, and reanimating the corpses of my foes to fight alongside me. I'm hooked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

drat was Rage a dissapointment. I was expecting a game similiar to Fallout, but every quest is like an MMO quest. The whole game was just really boring. I gave up after 6 hours.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So yeah, since Skyrim turned out to be such a fantastic game, i'm really looking forward to the DLC that Bethesda has in the works. Fallout 3 got some real good DLC.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It also got bad DLC, hopefully they know where they were weak.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Yodzilla posted:

Goddamn does Skyrim own. I'm barely two hours into it and I'm already running around like some sort of insane Sith Lord dual-wielding spectral swords, shocking wolves to death, and reanimating the corpses of my foes to fight alongside me. I'm hooked.

I know right. I went with the guy that has some magic and some weapon skills, but with how cool the magic is, I'm seriously considering restarting and using pure magic.

That first time you get out of the cave and to the waterfall is pretty epic.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 14, 2011

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

So yeah, since Skyrim turned out to be such a fantastic game, i'm really looking forward to the DLC that Bethesda has in the works. Fallout 3 got some real good DLC.
I have such blind enthusiasm for the game I don't even care what the DLC is, I just want more content to consume when I'm not even near finished what's already contained in the core game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

How suitable is Skyrim for consoles over PC? Everyone's saying it owns so I really am incredibly tempted to pick it up, but then I won't be able to follow my Elder Scrolls tradition of modding it to death later on. My poor PC badly needs an upgrade, or I'd go straight to the PC version.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Stelas posted:

How suitable is Skyrim for consoles over PC? Everyone's saying it owns so I really am incredibly tempted to pick it up, but then I won't be able to follow my Elder Scrolls tradition of modding it to death later on. My poor PC badly needs an upgrade, or I'd go straight to the PC version.

You could buy it for pc later probably really cheap.

Is the console version nice? I'm gonna wait a while, Since i'm in no hurry getting a singleplayer game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stelas posted:

I would kind of hope that people coming into this thread saying its good would be talking about the PS3 version since this isn't a PC thread.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Stelas posted:

Skyrim's awesome. Runs just fine on the PS3. If you need absolutely need it now, you will e fine with the console version.

Like Sistergodiva said, you will probably be able to buy it on Steam for like $20 a year from now anyways.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Skyrim plays really good with a controller. Frankly I think its a little janky with mouse and keyboard on the PC, but not horrible.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches
Random aside:

Kotaku always sucked but I can't believe how hard they are stroking Call of Duty's dick right now. They're working the shaft nice and hard and sucking eagerly. I'm actually impressed with their level of performance.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Stelas posted:

For what it's worth I have been playing it on the PC completely unmodded (aside from a few ini tweaks) and I think the gameplay is borderline perfect out of the box. I don't see how you wouldn't get the same experience I'm having by playing it on a PS3. I haven't had the opportunity, but I also understand it is a joy to play with a controller.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
Unlike past Bethesda games, Skyrim is perfectly fine on consoles. If mods interest you then get it on PC.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks all. I know it was kind of a dumb question to ask in a PS3 specific thread, but enough RPGs have jumped the fence entirely - I can't imagine playing Dungeon Siege 3 or Dragon Age 2 with a mouse - that I figured I'd check if anyone had experience with both.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Like all of the elder scrolls games it's more of an action experience with RPG elements than a traditional RPG game. You're running around doing things in the first-person so it's not like you're commanding other units from some tactical perspective.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

I said come in! posted:

How well did the DLC run if you downloaded it? They were all the single most terrible pieces of software I've ever experienced when I played them, but I had the GOTY disc so I dunno if the downloadable versions ran better. I love Skyrim, but the fact that Bethesda actually released Fallout 3 GOTY in that state has made me wary of trusting them with DLC stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The problem with the PS3 version of Fallout was that after you played for so long, your save file got relatively huge and the more and more my game started freezing. It didn't really happen until I had pretty much fully explored the wasteland but it happened.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

blackguy32 posted:

The problem with the PS3 version of Fallout was that after you played for so long, your save file got relatively huge and the more and more my game started freezing. It didn't really happen until I had pretty much fully explored the wasteland but it happened.

In Fallout 3 and New Vegas both I found that I could get my save file as big as about 10 mb before the world basically just fell apart. Frame rate would drop to about 5 before it would freeze for about 5 minutes.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Fallout games on the PS3. I always spend a ton of time in the worlds -- usually more than I spend in any other game -- but by the time I finish everything off I'm often frustrated and just rushing to end it.

I will be very interested to hear if Skyrim fixes this: does anyone have a gigantic save file yet?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

In Fallout 3 and New Vegas both I found that I could get my save file as big as about 10 mb before the world basically just fell apart. Frame rate would drop to about 5 before it would freeze for about 5 minutes.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Fallout games on the PS3. I always spend a ton of time in the worlds -- usually more than I spend in any other game -- but by the time I finish everything off I'm often frustrated and just rushing to end it.

I will be very interested to hear if Skyrim fixes this: does anyone have a gigantic save file yet?

No, but it's slowly getting bigger and I am starting to encounter some momentary pauses and very temporary frame rate issues. Not a single freeze or crash yet though. I am quite happy with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those who signed up for that free $5.99 credit, how long did it take for you to get your code? It's been over 3 days now and I haven't gotten it yet in my e-mail.

• Locked thread