Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The junk collector posted:

Hell a Decanter of Endless water + a bag of holding = a portable ocean.

If players ever got away with this it's just lazy DM'ing. Bags aren't infinite in scope, I think the largest is like 18 or 24 square feet. Big, but water-wise that might be enough for a swimming hole. Not to mention the day or two spent holding the flask above the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TampaTango posted:

Easily replaced by a level 1 wand, Summon Natures Ally I or Summon Monster I.

If you want an animal that lasts six seconds, go for it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mystic Mongol posted:

If you want an animal that lasts six seconds, go for it.

Six seconds is enough to trigger a trap, or fall over 150 feet. At 15gp per charge, it's fairly economical - a high level party could carry dozens of them and just spam the whole place with badgers or whatever.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DontMockMySmock posted:

Six seconds is enough to trigger a trap, or fall over 150 feet. At 15gp per charge, it's fairly economical - a high level party could carry dozens of them and just spam the whole place with badgers or whatever.

But for the cost of 60 charges -- just six minutes of wand badgers, you can roll up with one hundred minutes of trick animals per week! Order now, and we'll throw in a free Quall's feather token of an anchor, and this elegant cinching cord.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I suppose they could be great decoys for anything.
I had a player who used them as his signature item, and (since he was playing a gnome) pulled a monkey out of one, got the ranger to help him dress it in a spare set of his clothing, and then sent it scampering across a field so they could try and figure out where exactly some archers were shooting from.

His plan succeed, but with the caveat that they had started to like the monkey but immediately had it killed, causing them to feel a fair amount of regret.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I just alignment shift people when they start doing that. Most people don't mind.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
So, that Erfworld guy has resorted to basically writing erotic fanfiction of his own story. Yeah.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't think that's fair.

A) It's not erotic in the least. It's a creepy story about a creepy character.
B) He's doing text updates because the guy who does the art is taking some time off to deal with his mother dying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:siren:New Comic:siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html

I totally saw the dinosaur gag coming the moment I read which one it was.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
"Everyone needs my kind of stability" is the best line to describe Lawful Evil.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BrainWeasel posted:

"Everyone needs my kind of stability" is the best line to describe Lawful Evil.

Tarqin is the best villain in a strip filled with great villains. All of the others are fun, but only Redcloak comes anywhere near to competent.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It's been a loooong time since I've seen a quality argument between a Lawful Evil character and a Chaotic Good character.

And by loooong I mean "never." Props, Rich.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrakePegasus posted:

It's been a loooong time since I've seen a quality argument between a Lawful Evil character and a Chaotic Good character.

And by loooong I mean "never." Props, Rich.
Hailey's dad is Chaotic Stupid.

All he needs to do is keep it cool for an hour or so and he gets away clean. So, of course, he spends the rest of the comic ranting angrily and fucks everything up. What an idiot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

CapnAndy posted:

Hailey's dad is Chaotic Stupid.

All he needs to do is keep it cool for an hour or so and he gets away clean. So, of course, he spends the rest of the comic ranting angrily and fucks everything up. What an idiot.

He's essentially a hippy who steals poo poo and fights in arenas. So better than a hippy, but still with annoying hippy views and just pretend he says man at the end of every sentence.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We're talking about a guy who howled at his own daughter for divulging that her mommy was dead, because he's that paranoid. The guy ain't right in the head.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nilbop posted:

He's essentially a hippy who steals poo poo and fights in arenas. So better than a hippy, but still with annoying hippy views and just pretend he says man at the end of every sentence.

He's a hippy dual-wielding daggers.

Good Striker. Best Hippy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know when we started scoffing at men who had the courage of their beliefs even after years of grueling torture and imprisonment, but yeah, while it'd be more effective to stay quiet and he's clearly got some issues, give some props to the rebel who gets let out of jail and immediately, fearlessly thumbs his nose at the rear end in a top hat who had him imprisoned.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dolash posted:

I don't know when we started scoffing at men who had the courage of their beliefs even after years of grueling torture and imprisonment, but yeah, while it'd be more effective to stay quiet and he's clearly got some issues, give some props to the rebel who gets let out of jail and immediately, fearlessly thumbs his nose at the rear end in a top hat who had him imprisoned.
No. Absolutely no props to the dude who took one look at Elan and went off screaming "EVIL!", to the guy who got told things point-blank and disregarded them because they clashed with his pre-arrived at notions, and to the moron who sabotaged his own cause nearly fatally for absolutely no gain.

He is dumb. Chaotic Good doesn't mean you can't smile in the face of a tyrant, especially if that means he'll turn his back on you (where you can put a dagger), or let you into the cogs of his machine (where wrenches go).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dolash posted:

No, the dude is pretty clearly dumb. He's pursuing three seconds of spitting in the face of a tyrant in favor of smiling, walking away, and using the remaining years of his life and his considerable skills to act as a saboteur or insurrectionist. Given a choice between immediate, easy but ultimately shallow gratification or a long hard road of ultimately more satisfying rebellion, he took the route that required the least amount of thought.

Dude's a moron.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Dudes also been sunbaked and rotted away in a prison for quite sometime, too.

I imagine that does some damage to your mental cognitive processes.

Still dumb, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The greatest irony is that the one guy he does trust, that guy that's imprisoned with him, was making all kinds of shady comments.

I wouldn't be surprised if that trusted ally is actually in charge of making sure he stays locked up, and out of the hair of the new leader of the Thieves' Guild.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Haley's dad is being stupid and makes me want to punch him, but that may be because reminds me way too much of someone in my gaming group who will absolutely gently caress over everything - plot, relationships, his and our chances of survival - in exchange for a chance to make a snide defiant comment to the Big Bad.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 14, 2011

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Eschers Basement posted:

Haley's dad is being stupid and makes me want to punch him, but that may be because reminds me way too much of someone in my gaming group who will absolutely gently caress over everything - plot, relationships, his and our chances of survival - in exchange for a chance to make a snide defiant comment to the Big Bad.

This is so apt, I can't think of Rich doing anything else.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

:siren: New Comic :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0815.html

Will that gag ever get old? No. No, it will not.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roy's facepalm just makes it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love the extent to which Elan and Nale are very much their father's sons.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really liked the clever tag-team by Roy and Haley to suggest to Tarquin that Nale is looking for Draketooth - which is quite likely, in fact.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I guess I don't understand/remember why they're even bothering to hide the fact that Roy is part of the Order.

Honestly, Tarquin may be Lawful Evil, but we've already seen he's willing to bend the rules when they benefit him. Like when the bounty hunter who messed with him got his documentation 'lost'.

If Elan had mentioned from the beginning that Roy was part of his team, Tarquin would probably have found some loophole to get him out of the pit fights, if only so that Elan would have the strongest team possible to go out and fight other evils with.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Bobulus posted:

I guess I don't understand/remember why they're even bothering to hide the fact that Roy is part of the Order.

Honestly, Tarquin may be Lawful Evil, but we've already seen he's willing to bend the rules when they benefit him. Like when the bounty hunter who messed with him got his documentation 'lost'.

If Elan had mentioned from the beginning that Roy was part of his team, Tarquin would probably have found some loophole to get him out of the pit fights, if only so that Elan would have the strongest team possible to go out and fight other evils with.

There is no difference between Lawful and Neutral Evil in D&D.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Bobulus posted:

We still don't truly know if Tarquin is helping Elan or not. He's already expressly stated that he knows Elan needs to be the one to kill him because it's just such a good story. Haley and Roy are just playing their cards close to the chest until they really know what Tarquin's true intentions are. Maybe they'll reveal the information after they find out where Girard is, but I think they'll keep the charade up as long as they possibly can.

Also, there's the distinct possibility that Tarquin knows they're all part of the same party and is just playing along to let them think they have an advantage on him, when they really don't.

Anywho, glad to see Haley's back to her fleshy self. :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Because Haley is her father's daughter and unilaterally forbade Elan to tell Tarquin anything, on the grounds that she didn't trust him.

On the one hand, it's a bit silly because Tarquin was willing to throw all his resources behind Elan under the "hey, that villain is trying to destroy my planet!" villain-team-up-with-hero clause, but on the other, you probably don't want to give Tarquin any knowledge you don't have to because he'll find some way to use it, so... yeah.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Because Haley is her father's daughter and unilaterally forbade Elan to tell Tarquin anything, on the grounds that she didn't trust him.

On the one hand, it's a bit silly because Tarquin was willing to throw all his resources behind Elan under the "hey, that villain is trying to destroy my planet!" villain-team-up-with-hero clause, but on the other, you probably don't want to give Tarquin any knowledge you don't have to because he'll find some way to use it, so... yeah.

That doesn't fit Tarquin's modus operandi though; he's already been willing to give up the appearance of power for actual power in order to stay alive, and willing to share power in order to maximise the stability of his position.

He isn't the Xyklon 'worth the risk also I'm sure it'll be fine because I'm awesome' type and he isn't the 'even if we destroy existence it works out better for greenskins next time' Redcloak type. Tarquin would leave the people protecting the Think That Can Unmake Reality well alone.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Tarquin would leave the people protecting the Think That Can Unmake Reality well alone.

Well, unless he thought he could do a better job guarding it. The current guards haven't proven very effective...

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

There is no difference between Lawful and Neutral Evil in D&D.

It strikes me that someone who is lawful evil is somebody who would happily abuse the law for their own gain. In fact I'd say it's part of what makes them lawful evil. Someone who is chaotic evil would ignore the law, while someone who is lawful evil would use the law to gently caress someone over while maintaining a veneer of innocence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Slime posted:

It strikes me that someone who is lawful evil is somebody who would happily abuse the law for their own gain. In fact I'd say it's part of what makes them lawful evil. Someone who is chaotic evil would ignore the law, while someone who is lawful evil would use the law to gently caress someone over while maintaining a veneer of innocence.

A Neutral Evil Tarquin would (as Haley's dad says) happily create an illusion of using (and abusing) the law, when the reality is that the law is Whatever He Says It Is (which is not the same thing as being Lawful).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If you're the ultimate authority in the land then Lawful Evil gives you a lot of wiggle room.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Alchenar posted:

That doesn't fit Tarquin's modus operandi though; he's already been willing to give up the appearance of power for actual power in order to stay alive, and willing to share power in order to maximise the stability of his position.

He isn't the Xyklon 'worth the risk also I'm sure it'll be fine because I'm awesome' type and he isn't the 'even if we destroy existence it works out better for greenskins next time' Redcloak type. Tarquin would leave the people protecting the Think That Can Unmake Reality well alone.
I'm thinking more along the lines of that if Tarquin knows that Roy and Belkar matter to Elan, he'll find some way to use that knowledge. Not sure what more it could hurt considering he already knows about Haley, but it's Tarquin. Do you wanna take the risk?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CapnAndy posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of that if Tarquin knows that Roy and Belkar matter to Elan, he'll find some way to use that knowledge. Not sure what more it could hurt considering he already knows about Haley, but it's Tarquin. Do you wanna take the risk?

I don't think Tarquin would mind finding out later, either. "Oh, well, you know how it is. Always good to have a back up ally/ We thought it would make for a dramatic reveal down the line." He'd probably just shrug it off as good tactics and continue doing whatever he was doing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One way this plotline could easily resolve:

Tarquin's "offer" to Roy is to hire him to be a bodyguard for his son, which Elan happily accepts. They get the info they want and leave.

After they leave, Tarquin reveals that he knew Roy was part of the crew all along, and went along with the whole charade so that it would be more dramatically-interesting. All he's done is help fund a group that will keep his world existing, and put Elan on the path to eventually fight him. Plus any money paid to his new "hireling" will probably come at the cost of information, which is always useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
^^^^

A hero in ones pocket is worth ten in the woods trying to kill you.