Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'll use the forwarder for now, it should be compatible with any version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

whiskas posted:

I'll use the forwarder for now, it should be compatible with any version?
AFAIK, the forwarder just looks for a specific dol-file in a specific folder. As long as the new version uses the same path for the dol-file, it should just work.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I lent my Wii to my sister, who wants to borrow it for Skyward Sword. Except I forgot to tell her not to update it, so I assume that she's going to update it to 4.3 erasing my homebrew stuff. How will I get the Homebrew channel and stuff back? Just use the new Letterbomb exploit and get it back installed and I'll be able to do everything normally as before?

CraigK fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If you can get the Wii back, install Priiloader and set it to not allow disc or online updates.

e: if you can't, ModMii works with 4.3 now using Letterbomb, or you can just use Letterbomb on your own

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 15, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Has it been confirmed that Skyward Sword has a newer update than 4.3?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think so, but the System Menu version doesn't really matter so long as you have Priiloader installed and you keep your CIOS up to date. My Wii has been on 3.2 since forever.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

Has it been confirmed that Skyward Sword has a newer update than 4.3?

I think it's confirmed that there's no update with Skyward Sword. Nintendo have thrown in the towel on that fight.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Oh. Well, moot point, then.

When was the last update that did anything whatsoever besides trying to eliminate homebrew?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

4.0 I think? Whichever one added HD SD card support.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The most recent update (4.31) didn't even make a token effort at removing Homebrew.

There was an estimate that 1% of the Wii userbase has actually modified their consoles and some say that's a vastly inflated estimate, so it really isn't worth Nintendo's time and money.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I have a softmodded 4.2U Wii with Bootmii installed in Boot2 and no Priiloader. Does the Priiloader installer overwrite Boot2, or does it put Priiloader somewhere else? Also, in the unlikely event something goes wrong when installing Priiloader, will that screw up something that can't be fixed by restoring from a NAND backup through Bootmii? These are probably stupid paranoid questions, but I don't think they can be answered with "just use Modmii."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It can actually, ModMii installs both BootMii in boot2 and Priiloader (which leads me to believe that no, Priiloader doesn't overwrite BootMii).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

A good poster posted:

I have a softmodded 4.2U Wii with Bootmii installed in Boot2 and no Priiloader. Does the Priiloader installer overwrite Boot2, or does it put Priiloader somewhere else? Also, in the unlikely event something goes wrong when installing Priiloader, will that screw up something that can't be fixed by restoring from a NAND backup through Bootmii? These are probably stupid paranoid questions, but I don't think they can be answered with "just use Modmii."

Priiloader won't overwrite anything except maybe StartPatch, which does the exact same thing. It's safe to use with Bootmii.

Also, a NAND restore will fix anything software-wise. Unless of course the problem is in the backup made.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

pokecapn posted:

Unless you bought your Wii before mid-2009, it's not going to happen because newer disc drives can't read burned DVDs. Luckily, USB loading is both way more convenient and keeps your drive unused so you know it'll work when you're ripping the game, playing GameCube games, or need to play the oddball game that doesn't work right with USB loaders (I think Metroid Prime Trilogy still has this issue).

The Wii drive, even in Wiis that can read burned DVDs, is also finnicky as hell, so I hope you like trying to start the game 5 times before it goes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

The Wii drive, even in Wiis that can read burned DVDs, is also finnicky as hell, so I hope you like trying to start the game 5 times before it goes.

What? No. Disc read errors are caused by bad burns due to the burning drive, blank media, or burn speed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So after owning a Wii for almost 5 years to the day, I'm finally softmodding it, because the noise that the disc drive makes when it's running is drat near unbearable, and I'd prefer to not have to buy another Wii. I'm on a Mac, so ModMii is not an option, but I used that FAQ from GAF that someone posted, and everything seems to be running smoothly. I got BootMii installed, the HBC, and a bunch of those cIOSes that the FAQ told me to get installed as well. I do have a question about the USB loaders, though. Can you just use any old USB hard drive? Black Friday is just around the corner, and I think there are a few fairly nice portable HDs at Best Buy that would fit what I need just right (I've amassed a nice collection over the years). And can I install the loader before I purchase the HD, or should I just wait?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

So after owning a Wii for almost 5 years to the day, I'm finally softmodding it, because the noise that the disc drive makes when it's running is drat near unbearable, and I'd prefer to not have to buy another Wii. I'm on a Mac, so ModMii is not an option, but I used that FAQ from GAF that someone posted, and everything seems to be running smoothly. I got BootMii installed, the HBC, and a bunch of those cIOSes that the FAQ told me to get installed as well. I do have a question about the USB loaders, though. Can you just use any old USB hard drive? Black Friday is just around the corner, and I think there are a few fairly nice portable HDs at Best Buy that would fit what I need just right (I've amassed a nice collection over the years). And can I install the loader before I purchase the HD, or should I just wait?

I've been using an old, gigantic, broken Seagate hard drive that I cracked open and put in an even older 120GB hard drive I stripped out from my mother's old system. The hard drive doesn't even fit properly in the enclosure, I had to cut some of the casing to make sure it closes properly. It worked perfectly fine, but the absolutely latest versions of USB Loader GX and other loaders absolutely refuse to recognize it. These new versions will read my dinky 8GB flash drive perfectly fine, though.

No idea what changed in these versions, haven't bothered to investigate it more, but you really should be safe with using just about any hard drive if that hacked together solution worked. Flash drives work perfectly fine as well if nothing else.

As a side note: if anyone else runs into this issue, install the older, working version of your USB Loader as a full channel install, then put a the newer install on your SD card with just a forwarder channel to use with a flash drive if certain games refuse to work in the old version (Return to Dreamland, I'm looking at you...).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So something like this Seagate portable HD would work fine? Because it's gonna be $60 come next week, and that sounds totally worth it to me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

So something like this Seagate portable HD would work fine? Because it's gonna be $60 come next week, and that sounds totally worth it to me.

I am on my phone right now, but do a google search for usb wii compatibility, there is a whole chart on some gameboy forum, I'm pretty sure the link is in this post somewhere

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Goddammit, every time I softmod a Wii I forget all the basic poo poo. Two questions:

1: -2011, that's a trucha bug thing, right? How do I fix that again (running 4.1, plus whatever junk ModMii gave me that would install without spitting that error at me)

2: when I ran the HackMii thing via Smash Stack it says "the installed boot1 prevents a boot2 install (-2)", which I've never seen before. MMM says this Wii is running boot2rev4 - isn't that some new thing that wouldn't be present with 4.1? What's the deal there?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's been a while, but I know Seagate drive typically aren't compatible with USB loading, so you should definitely do some googling beforehand. That might not be the case anymore though, it's been a while.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Are there any homebrew apps to fine-tune the settings of the Motion+?

I'm finding the aiming not quite fast enough in SS, and there aren't any options anywhere...

knox
Oct 28, 2004

So I got the homebrew channel on, and I have two NTFS hdd that I guess I'm gonna use to play the games off of. Trying to get this Waninkoko iOS249 thing going. When I load it through homebrew channel, brings me to Press A to continue Press B to restart, won't let me press A or anything.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

knox posted:

So I got the homebrew channel on, and I have two NTFS hdd that I guess I'm gonna use to play the games off of. Trying to get this Waninkoko iOS249 thing going. When I load it through homebrew channel, brings me to Press A to continue Press B to restart, won't let me press A or anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the Waninkoko stuff is really outdated. I've been using DX2 with configurable USB loader and I can play all my games off it, including Metroid Prime Trilogy (I can finally take it out of the disk drive!).

I followed this guide and it worked perfectly: http://gwht.wikidot.com/d2x.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Seagates have been very reliable, I have the previous model and it runs fine. GBATemp's list has the 500 gig goflex as compatible, I think you should be fine. There is seagate software you can use to turn off the automatic spindown - I dont know if you need to use that on the goflex

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

knox posted:

Try ModMii, it pretty much does everything for you.

Also I just checked and I was wrong, ModMii does install d2x. So yeah, use d2x.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to use the usb loader/get emulators to recognize my hard drive as NTFS. Is this not possible? I've had MiiPlayer recognize stuff just fine, but not the loader.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Eonwe posted:

I'm trying to use the usb loader/get emulators to recognize my hard drive as NTFS. Is this not possible? I've had MiiPlayer recognize stuff just fine, but not the loader.

It depends on the loader. The latest release of ConfigurableUSB Loader supports NTFS, but I know a lot of the emulators will only support FAT32/FAT. Your best bet would be to partition the HDD as FAT32 for the emulators and NTFS for your loader.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Rukus posted:

It depends on the loader. The latest release of ConfigurableUSB Loader supports NTFS, but I know a lot of the emulators will only support FAT32/FAT. Your best bet would be to partition the HDD as FAT32 for the emulators and NTFS for your loader.
I think you mean FAT for the loader and NTFS for the emulators.

However, if you're making a separate partition for the loader anyway, why not just use wbfs instead?

v⁻⁻ Oh, I see.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 21, 2011

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Zom Aur posted:

I think you mean FAT for the loader and NTFS for the emulators.

However, if you're making a separate partition for the loader anyway, why not just use wbfs instead?

No, the emulators I use (Snes9x GX, FCE Ultra GX, and Visual Boy Advance GX) didn't support an NTFS partition when I tried, only FAT32. WBFS is also a good option, but I know some may not want to have to use WBFS Manager.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Goddammit, every time I softmod a Wii I forget all the basic poo poo. Two questions:

1: -2011, that's a trucha bug thing, right? How do I fix that again (running 4.1, plus whatever junk ModMii gave me that would install without spitting that error at me)

2: when I ran the HackMii thing via Smash Stack it says "the installed boot1 prevents a boot2 install (-2)", which I've never seen before. MMM says this Wii is running boot2rev4 - isn't that some new thing that wouldn't be present with 4.1? What's the deal there?

Okay, so as far as I know the -2011 error has something to do with IOS36, right? I tried to use the default "patch IOS36" thing from the MMM menu but it won't let me due to error -2011. What gives?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You could try installing / using ios 236 instead

http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236

for the second part, they fixed the boot2 installation option on later wiis - those will only be able to install bootmii as an ios.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 21, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Alright, I tried that, the IOS236 installer is telling me that patches aren't properly applied or something. The link you gave me suggested making sure the HBC was up to date, I did that, no dice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The trucha bug restorer thing is now giving me error -1035 and some message about needing another firmware downgrader (this was while I was attempting to downgrade IOS15, mind you). What should I be using here?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Having kind of a weird issue. Whenever I go to SD instead of the main wii menu it will begin to load channels and then freeze. If I select what game or program I want to run before it freezes it will work just fine but if I let it sit for any amount of time it will hard lock my wii needing a power plug pull reset. Any ideas?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The trucha bug restorer thing is now giving me error -1035 and some message about needing another firmware downgrader (this was while I was attempting to downgrade IOS15, mind you). What should I be using here?

Why are you downgrading stuff.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 21, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The IOS236 installer didn't work because some IOS isn't patched, it didn't tell me which so I assumed it was talking about IOS36 as that's the one giving me all the other errors. I can't patch IOS36 without downgrading and then reupgrading IOS15, but the program that's supposed to do that for me is giving me that -1035 error and telling me I need a different/better downgrader.

I've modded a ton of Wiis before, I don't know what the hell is going on this time, it's not like I did anything differently.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You shouldn't need to downgrade anything to install ios 236. Have you tried to use the offline method? If you're not on 4.3, do you have the relevant IOS installed for the homebrew channel to use ahbprot and whatnot (I don't know if that matters but I'm doublechecking).

Maybe you should just start from the beginning, make sure everything gets copied over correctly (did the meta.xml get copied for the ios 236 installer).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've been using the offline method the entire time, that's how I do everything. I'm running 4.1E plus whatever WADs ModMii gave me (minus the ones that wouldn't install due to the -2011 error). Definitely copied the XML file, everything's where it should be.

How do I check whether AHBPROT is working properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The homebrew channel options page should tell you what ios it is running on. If its not ios 58, download the ios 58 wad or use the ios 58 installer on the homebrew browser (a side note: I've done all my installs of ios or cios etc etc online, with no problems; maybe try that with the ios 236 installer after you're done with this?), then reinstall the homebrew channel, and it should be using ios 58

• Locked thread