Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Part 5 of my boss guide is now available - the target this time is the Gaping Dragon.

It can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cnE4GxSHw

Like the previous videos, this boss guide focuses on analyzing the boss' moves, how to avoid them, suggested items from the nearby stage and contingencies for common oversights/mistakes (like the Channeler, in this case). Hopefully, this guide can entertain or help someone fight alone against this monstrosity!

Also, I'm still eagerly awaiting whatever news comes from Namco and my SL1 invader continues to spread presents and murder to all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So is there any reason I can't backup my Dark Souls savegame? It says 'can't be transferred between devices'... (I'm on xbox 360 by the way)

I had a bad bad hard drive crash recently so backup like a madman now, but I can't save this one :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MZ posted:

So is there any reason I can't backup my Dark Souls savegame? It says 'can't be transferred between devices'... (I'm on xbox 360 by the way)

I had a bad bad hard drive crash recently so backup like a madman now, but I can't save this one :(
It's a feature because it would make it too easy to abuse various things. It unfortunately means you can't transfer even if you have no bad intentions.

edit: Pyromancy is so hilarious to use when assisting. It two-shots Capra Demon with a +2 tier 2 hand and the ring.

edit 2: If I kill Capra after the host dies, is that bad? It's happened twice so far. :ohdear:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 16, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

MZ posted:

I would not worry about potentially losing your save game anyway, unless you are aiming for achievements there is nothing you can lose that can't replace almost instantly.

This game is oldschool in the way that your first playthrough you will die constantly and blow hours and hours of time, but after that, you blaze through everything like a pro. Even at your weakest in terms of level or gear, like if you intentionally gimp yourself as a naked level 1 player, you will still be drastically better at the game simply by knowing and understanding the game better then a new player with the best weapons and armor.

On average a first time player will rack up anywhere between 70-100 hours before finishing the game, the speed run record is like 90 minutes.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Elysiume posted:

edit 2: If I kill Capra after the host dies, is that bad? It's happened twice so far. :ohdear:

If this happens the Capra Demon then invades the host player randomly throughout the rest of the game as a gravelord 3x difficulty Dark Wraith. (Without warning them)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Penny_Dreadful posted:

On average a first time player will rack up anywhere between 70-100 hours before finishing the game, the speed run record is like 90 minutes.

Speedrunners are not human, they are a different type of being altogether.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chard posted:

Speedrunners are not human, they are a different type of being altogether.
What is funny is that they hoard humanity in order to get through the chaos tunnel, so you have to ask yourself, what IS humanity?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Jesus Christ... Gwyn.
First boss since O&S to make me quit in frustration. He's impossible.

The parrying tactic is a joke since, while it does do a lot of damage, one missed parry will leave you open to his punishing horizontal swipe combo, which will tear through any parrying shield. You'd have to be a parrying god to land it every time.

I've been using the goddamn Greatshield of Artorias and I can barely stay on my feet. His grab move is just as cheap as False King Allant's, way too hard to roll away in time.

At level 71, I thought I'd be over-leveled for the final boss, but... apparently not.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Count Bleck posted:

Izalith is pretty much the only area I'll never visit again. Tomb of the Giants was fine, really, you just brought the Sunlight Maggot

You mean that thing from Lost Izalith?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

O&S and Gwyn and very susceptible to fire via weapon enchant or pyromancy.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Megalixir posted:

You mean that thing from Lost Izalith?
Yup, Sunlight Maggot from the shortcut. It makes TotG so much more bearable.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is funny is that they hoard humanity in order to get through the chaos tunnel, so you have to ask yourself, what IS humanity?

I beat the game, and I don't really know what the chaos tunnel is. Google didn't really help either. Explanation?

Also, I want to start a twitter account for '@thingsmygftextsmewhileplayingdarksouls.' She is not an angry person in any capacity, but this game makes her rage harder than anything I've ever seen.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nope, the initial run to the lantern is integral to the TOTG experience. I suggest that everybody goes in blind so that they truly understand what that place is all about. I can't believe the patch is robbing people of such a lovely experience.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I beat the game, and I don't really know what the chaos tunnel is. Google didn't really help either. Explanation?

Also, I want to start a twitter account for '@thingsmygftextsmewhileplayingdarksouls.' She is not an angry person in any capacity, but this game makes her rage harder than anything I've ever seen.
The chaos tunnel is made available by reaching +2 in the Daughters of Chaos. In the Demon Ruins, after the first fire, there's some stairs down with some fire statues and a taurus demon ahead. Past the demon, take a right. Walk down the branch and forward. There's a giant weird door that you can open if you're +2 in the DoC. It allows you to skip Lost Izalith, which is awesome. It's also the only way to save Solaire and it gets you the Sunlight Maggot.

Fonzarelli posted:

Nope, the initial run to the lantern is integral to the TOTG experience. I suggest that everybody goes in blind so that they truly understand what that place is all about. I can't believe the patch is robbing people of such a lovely experience.
Wait, it is? How so?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
It's very tense. I'm with the Fonz, it's a great and well-crafted experience. You have to exercise even more caution than you do elsewhere due to the uncertain footing, and you become somewhat paranoid about elements of distant light - is that two distant lootables, or a skeleton's eyes? Plus, skeletons aggro right about when you can see them when you don't have a light source, heightening that sense of tension.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Fonzarelli posted:

Slipping off edges and having a giant skeleton murder you with a jump scare? I'd be fine with the one jump scare and maybe two or three falls off the side tops if there was a bonfire where Pinwheel dies. As it is I won't touch the place until I at least have something to light the way to the lantern.

Hopefully making your way around occasionally difficult to determine invisible pathways isn't "integral" to the Crystal Caverns because gently caress that place, I'm not doing it until the patch hits and I can hopefully play online without freezing on the start menu. Covering that loving walkway with every message I can.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Wait, it is? How so?

The necromancers in the catacombs may drop lanterns in the patch.

sentrygun posted:

Slipping off edges and having a giant skeleton murder you with a jump scare? I'd be fine with the one jump scare and maybe two or three falls off the side tops if there was a bonfire where Pinwheel dies. As it is I won't touch the place until I at least have something to light the way to the lantern.

Hopefully making your way around occasionally difficult to determine invisible pathways isn't "integral" to the Crystal Caverns because gently caress that place, I'm not doing it until the patch hits and I can hopefully play online without freezing on the start menu. Covering that loving walkway with every message I can.

I got through TotG my first time with Prism Stones, pretty similarly to how you might cross the invisible platforms in Crystal Caverns. Since I couldn't see 2 steps in front of me to avoid falling off cliffs, I threw tons of the things out just to be sure.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

It's very tense. I'm with the Fonz, it's a great and well-crafted experience. You have to exercise even more caution than you do elsewhere due to the uncertain footing, and you become somewhat paranoid about elements of distant light - is that two distant lootables, or a skeleton's eyes? Plus, skeletons aggro right about when you can see them when you don't have a light source, heightening that sense of tension.
It's interesting at first, but it got old for me really, really quickly. I hated having no good way to position, even after I got the lantern. I could see or block. I'd have been fine with a tiny light radius, but not even being able to see where the edge of a cliff is was awful.

Going back with the Sunlight Maggot makes it a trivial and kind of boring area, though. I think it would have been way better to just give a 2.5' light radius or something. Let you see your feet, and that's about it.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The necromancers in the catacombs may drop lanterns in the patch.
That makes sense but I don't really like it. I hated the dark, but...I don't know, it added something to the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Elysiume posted:

It's interesting at first, but it got old for me really, really quickly. I hated having no good way to position, even after I got the lantern. I could see or block. I'd have been fine with a tiny light radius, but not even being able to see where the edge of a cliff is was awful.

Going back with the Sunlight Maggot makes it a trivial and kind of boring area, though. I think it would have been way better to just give a 2.5' light radius or something. Let you see your feet, and that's about it.
That makes sense but I don't really like it. I hated the dark, but...I don't know, it added something to the game.

And soon the dark did fade..... and only Fire remained.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sentrygun posted:

Well you can still see the skeletons in the dark via their eyes (which is quite unnerving the first time) and you can still see a bit so if you just take it slow you shouldn't fall off that much if at all. The pathways in the Crystal Caves are all straight paths, with the exception of one optional route, and you can tell where they are by the falling crystal shard so its really not too bad.

Honestly, I like these areas a lot and think they are well designed and not overly hard. The second half of the game gets a lot of flak around here but I don't see the problem. I even kind of liked Lost Izalith although I usually take the shortcut these days.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Unless the giant pathway across a large chasm that seems to be the only way to go (near a moonlight butterfly) is optional, I found that I ran into a turn that I couldn't read despite spending a LONG time staring at the droplets.

At first I thought "man, this area looks neat as gently caress this is gonna be fun". Then I fell on a path that I had almost entirely sworn had droplets on it twice and lost 100K souls.

Then I died another six times.

I haven't played Dark Souls since. :v:

It doesn't help that 99/100 times I can't get online, so I can't enjoy one of the cooler aspect of the game. Until they release the patch that hopefully fixes the freeze on startup when connected to PSN issue, I don't even really want to play.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Every required pathway in the Crystal Caves is completely straight. I don't even do anything on them now, I just get my bearings and run across them. There's an optional path that's zigzaggy and stuff, but all that's past it is a blue slab so you don't need to bother unless you really want it.

And did you consider using prism stones? Or even arrows?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Jesus Christ... Gwyn.
First boss since O&S to make me quit in frustration. He's impossible.

The parrying tactic is a joke since, while it does do a lot of damage, one missed parry will leave you open to his punishing horizontal swipe combo, which will tear through any parrying shield. You'd have to be a parrying god to land it every time.

I've been using the goddamn Greatshield of Artorias and I can barely stay on my feet. His grab move is just as cheap as False King Allant's, way too hard to roll away in time.

At level 71, I thought I'd be over-leveled for the final boss, but... apparently not.

Yea, I had the most trouble with Gwyn, Sif, and O & S.

For Gwyn, I did the same thing I did with O & S. I just kept back-pedaling with my shield up, which would block his first attack, and then I'd be out of reach of his remaining swings. When he'd attempt to grab, I'd get in a hit while he recovered. Took a while, but he dropped eventually. I think on my last attempt, I didn't take any damage from him at all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's crazy how much summoning changes. I had a few hours of summons every 10-20 minutes, then an hour or two of zero summons at all. Then I had three summons back to back. Up to 30 sunlight medals. Too bad I can't use anything I get from this covenant at all!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Elysiume posted:

Every required pathway in the Crystal Caves is completely straight. I don't even do anything on them now, I just get my bearings and run across them. There's an optional path that's zigzaggy and stuff, but all that's past it is a blue slab so you don't need to bother unless you really want it.

And did you consider using prism stones? Or even arrows?

I considered using Prism stones once I dragged my 100K souls back. After I lost that I was in a bad enough mood that I didn't really want to keep playing anyways, plus I kind of want to start a new character. As disgustingly powerful as a Lightning Zweihander is, I really don't like using it and I feel like I'm forcing myself to use it for its damage output.

Didn't realize arrows stuck in the ground though.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Elysiume posted:

The chaos tunnel is made available by reaching +2 in the Daughters of Chaos. In the Demon Ruins, after the first fire, there's some stairs down with some fire statues and a taurus demon ahead. Past the demon, take a right. Walk down the branch and forward. There's a giant weird door that you can open if you're +2 in the DoC. It allows you to skip Lost Izalith, which is awesome. It's also the only way to save Solaire and it gets you the Sunlight Maggot.

Huh, interesting. I finished the entire game at like slvl 80, but I think I missed a decent amount of content. I also never played online, beating every boss alone. It's a shame I don't have more time to explore it further. The game is really something remarkable.

I'm glad to see other people were frustrated by the 2nd half of the game too. I remember saying explicitly to my friends that it was amazing to start, but once you hit the gauntlet of bosses at the end it was much less amusing. I'm also glad to know that everyone hates Lost Izalith as much as I did.

I think the one thing that's kind of a bummer is that your equipment doesn't change much after the first play through. There isn't really any new equipment to find after that. You can upgrade it, sure, but you can do a good deal of that before you finish. I have the gold-hemmed black robes, and I can't imagine changing from those until an absurd slvl where I can wear heavier armor and still remain nimble.

Also, homing crystal soulmass feels like a mistake. I killed Gwyn in 4 or 5 shots.

das four
Aug 2, 2011

allah ackbar little brother
Hah. For anyone left wondering after the Iron Golem fight, it's completely possible to knock him off the roof if you can stagger him in the correct spot.

"Easiest boss fight in the game", indeed

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

das four posted:

Hah. For anyone left wondering after the Iron Golem fight, it's completely possible to knock him off the roof if you can stagger him in the correct spot.

If you smack him around enough to trigger his defensive leap. He can miss the platform and fling himself off, too. :v:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

das four posted:

I can hardly remember what he did. I think he tossed a few swings at me that I blocked while I got in solid hits during his giant gaps, and somewhere around half health he just kneeled down and let me kill him. For a bit I was expecting some crazy charge up attack, but he just sat there for the rest of the fight until I pounded him into the ground hard enough.

It was kind of sad, like he just gave up. :smith:

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
So, you can jump off of the entrance platform to Sen's Fortress onto the ground below and not die. I ran around for a while until I started to fall indefinitely in a gray background.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sentrygun posted:

It doesn't help that 99/100 times I can't get online, so I can't enjoy one of the cooler aspect of the game. Until they release the patch that hopefully fixes the freeze on startup when connected to PSN issue, I don't even really want to play.

Is there any info about what causes the freeze? My PS3 has never frozen playing the game (or doing anything, actually).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

a foolish pianist posted:

Is there any info about what causes the freeze? My PS3 has never frozen playing the game (or doing anything, actually).

Only happens on start up. You can't 'press start'. Even more annoying because you can't tell the game froze due to how static that screen is normally, and sometimes it happens on the bonfire loading screen before the start screen. Game works perfectly fine if not connected to PSN.

FROM's aware of it and it's probably fixed in the new patches, but Bandai is taking their sweet rear end time in bringing them over here.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Elysiume posted:

It's crazy how much summoning changes. I had a few hours of summons every 10-20 minutes, then an hour or two of zero summons at all. Then I had three summons back to back. Up to 30 sunlight medals. Too bad I can't use anything I get from this covenant at all!

Yeah, thats how my day has gone as well. Yesterday was almost non-stop low level summoning, today has been pretty barren so far. I honestly think I was getting summoned more often when I wasn't a sunbro.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dear Watson posted:

Yeah, thats how my day has gone as well. Yesterday was almost non-stop low level summoning, today has been pretty barren so far. I honestly think I was getting summoned more often when I wasn't a sunbro.
I'm back to never getting summoned.

Does anyone know how the Blue Eye Stone works? I don't get anything from being a Sunbro, and while I enjoy being golden, it'd also be nice to mete out punishment. It only invades the area you're in, right? Is there a level restriction, and if so, how large?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I'm not sure what restrictions are on the blue eye orb.

Funny enough, I'm trying to assist on the gargoyles and since I'm so close I went and rejoined the way of the white and ran back up to the parish and was able to be summoned within a few minutes. It was most likely a coincidence, and maybe he would have summoned me with my gold sign too. Who knows, all I know is that my summons always feel like they slow down after I join the sunbros.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

So I rolled a new char and decided to summon a dude for bell gargoyles at sl8 or so. Doors go grey for about a minute then I get a bunch of summoning failed messages. Then I hear someone knocking mobs around upstairs so I go to find a guy in full havels armor that proceeds to 1 or 2 shot the boss. Dude sends me a message asking what happened, turns out he's sl204 and was trying to invade. Got pulled to me as white instead

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Acelerion posted:

So I rolled a new char and decided to summon a dude for bell gargoyles at sl8 or so. Doors go grey for about a minute then I get a bunch of summoning failed messages. Then I hear someone knocking mobs around upstairs so I go to find a guy in full havels armor that proceeds to 1 or 2 shot the boss. Dude sends me a message asking what happened, turns out he's sl204 and was trying to invade. Got pulled to me as white instead
How would someone SL204 even get started in the invade process for a SL8? :psyduck:

I've invade-assisted someone before, and it was awesome (and confusing). I'd actually previously invaded and killed the guy, which made it funnier.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know how the Blue Eye Stone works? I don't get anything from being a Sunbro, and while I enjoy being golden, it'd also be nice to mete out punishment. It only invades the area you're in, right? Is there a level restriction, and if so, how large?

It seems to let you invade the world of a guilty player. Unlike the covenant ring, it warns the invading player that you're coming. I just used it a bunch in Ariamis and I fought people in both Ariamis and Dark Anor Londo.

The ring seems to drop you into Anor Londo, supposedly without warning the incoming player. Problem is, it drops you in the same place and there's inevitably a guy and his two phantom buddies waiting to kill you while you spawn.

Tonight I managed to do a little Darkmoon Retribution thanks to a really simple item: Lloyd's Talisman. I suppose that due to the fact that people don't use it that much in game, they aren't expecting it. But it always hits, and covers the guy in a little cloud and shuts down their ability to use Estus.

Hit them a couple times, they back up and try to use their Estus. Failing locks their character into a fun little "Durr, where Estus?" animation. That's your cue to make with the stabbing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, the Blue Eye stone seems to act like a limited Red Eye Stone- it attempts to invade a guilty in the area you are currently in- they need to be in human form and not have defeated the boss. Far as I can tell there's no upper level restriction, but there does seem to be a lower level restriction, but I don't know if your level is the base, or if it's within 10 levels of your level.

There is certainly no upper level restriction using the ring to get summoned to dark Anor Londo- I was fighting people with very high levels when I was level 30.

Edit:

Elysiume posted:

How would someone SL204 even get started in the invade process for a SL8? :psyduck:

I've invade-assisted someone before, and it was awesome (and confusing). I'd actually previously invaded and killed the guy, which made it funnier.

My guess is, if a host tries to summon a phantom at the same time someone is trying to invade, wires get switched and the would-be red phantom "invades" as a white phantom (and the regular summoning fails). My guess is that it only checks the would-be white phantom's level, and the screwup somehow bypasses the level check for the red-phantom.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, the Blue Eye stone seems to act like a limited Red Eye Stone- it attempts to invade a guilty in the area you are currently in- they need to be in human form and not have defeated the boss. Far as I can tell there's no upper level restriction, but there does seem to be a lower level restriction, but I don't know if your level is the base, or if it's within 10 levels of your level.

There is certainly no upper level restriction using the ring to get summoned to dark Anor Londo- I was fighting people with very high levels when I was level 30.
That's pretty lame, honestly.

I wish the Jagged Ghost Blade didn't count as unique. It has some insanely fun attacks, namely the R2s. I can only take it to +5, which has 210 physical and an E scaling with strength. There's a 300 bleed effect, but that just brings it from awful to still pretty awful. :(

• Locked thread