Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Games in the same area aren't bad at all for me. Much better than before, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Amazon haven't even shipped my copy yet. :(

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Got mandated for a late shift tonight. Wont be able to make the tournament. :(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Gatts posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/11/13/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-dlc-costume-complete-gallery

Holy poo poo. They went ahead and really fanserviced the hell out of those costumes.

loving Planet Hulk alt?! Day one purchase.

(Oh, yeah. And Scarlet Spider, though I believe I'm the only person on the planet that likes Ben.)

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I thought Deadpool could cancel Quick Work into Chimichangas now? I haven't got it to work at all

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Cuchulain posted:

Got mandated for a late shift tonight. Wont be able to make the tournament. :(

It's cool, thanks for the notice. I took you off the sign up list.

To anyone missing out on this launch day tourney, don't worry, we will run lots more! I'd do one next week if it wasn't Thanksgiving, but I will set one up for the week after and we'll try to run them regular every week while the hype keeps up!

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Trykt posted:

It's cool, thanks for the notice. I took you off the sign up list.

To anyone missing out on this launch day tourney, don't worry, we will run lots more! I'd do one next week if it wasn't Thanksgiving, but I will set one up for the week after and we'll try to run them regular every week while the hype keeps up!

UPS truck just pulled up to the house. Installing now. Have never used IRC before :( how do I join the server/channel?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm a fighting newbie, and I picked up UMvC3 because it looked fun and Capcom had the balls to put Phoenix Wright and Frank West in there.

I'm getting stomped. By the computer. On Easy. I know that there's no conceivable way I'll get better for a long, long time, but what's the best way to go about learning the game's full mechanics and fundamentals? I've spent just as much time in Practice as Arcade, but what else can/should I focus on?

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

CRINDY posted:

I'm a fighting newbie, and I picked up UMvC3 because it looked fun and Capcom had the balls to put Phoenix Wright and Frank West in there.

I'm getting stomped. By the computer. On Easy. I know that there's no conceivable way I'll get better for a long, long time, but what's the best way to go about learning the game's full mechanics and fundamentals? I've spent just as much time in Practice as Arcade, but what else can/should I focus on?
Find someone to play against and then repeat over and over again. That's pretty much all you can do besides arcade (which won't really prepare you for real people anyways). Find someone in here.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

CRINDY posted:

Watch Maximillian's "Assist Me" series. Not only is it a good point for how to use the new characters, he shows some pretty good fundamentals as well.

Strider/Hawkeye episode for a good sample of what to expect - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFq62jijQm8

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

CRINDY posted:

Don't try to ingest every bit of the game's mechanics by reading websites or anything over and over. Just take one or two 'insights' like a game mechanic or a combo and then go practice, and try to apply what you read or see if it worked.

You should buy the strategy guide. The book is huge and you won't be able to pick up everything at once.

Also, in fighting games there is an element of muscle memory. That is, even after you know how to do something, you have to practice it over and over until your hands understand what your brain wants to do. This is very important, and you gotta remind yourself that you can't just immediately run off and apply a new strategy or combo that you found out about.

edit- And the best thing you can do, is find a friend who wants to get good too. Play them alot, and talk about what works and doesn't.

My game arrived at my door at 9:09pm too late for goonament :(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

seriously how the gently caress are people online so good with all of these new characters it's blowing my mind.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Monaghan posted:

seriously how the gently caress are people online so good with all of these new characters it's blowing my mind.

They've been training with StarCraft. 200 clicks a second, man!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

Ultimate MvC3 tournament going on right now. ChrisG has some sick Firebrand stuff.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Well the tournament has been fun so far, won my first game and actually got streamed on Goonsgarden for my Round 2 match.

My zoning game is fraudulent, haven't played mvc3 in 3 months, but goddamn is Rocket Raccoon's log assist a day 1 allstar assist.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 16, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
That was fun. I lost both my matches in winners and losers but I came a lot closer the second time. Gotta get use to these new characters! Also as interesting as hawkeye is he might not be for me :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Stupid question, but are all the characters available right away? Any unlocking needed?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Medullah posted:

Stupid question, but are all the characters available right away? Any unlocking needed?

Yeah, they're all available from the get-go (aside from Shuma-Gorath and Jill anyway, which are DLC).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not gonna lie, seeing Spidey outduel a Vergil player onstream a few times made me fuzzy inside. Holy poo poo he's so much faster and might actually be viable with how viable he is with the webswings.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So whoever was talking about nova earlier and wondering what you can do after fly canceling his slide -- If you press an attack button fast enough your d db b will still be in the input buffer and you'll cancel to a nova strike.

Also, if you are having trouble connecting the Nova slam after the air series, delay your super jump after the launcher like you would for a sentinel combo.

Dren fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 16, 2011

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bouncyman posted:

UPS truck just pulled up to the house. Installing now. Have never used IRC before :( how do I join the server/channel?

Easiest thing is just go to mibbit.com and type in the server/channel info from the sign-up page. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Live brackets for those interested:

PS3: http://goons.challonge.com/ggumvc3ps3_1

XBL: http://goons.challonge.com/ggumvc3xbl_1

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, they're all available from the get-go (aside from Shuma-Gorath and Jill anyway, which are DLC).

And I assume those who had them before get them again?

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
drat, game came too late to win the tourny. Next time.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
When I got the game today, I was pretty impressed to find a reverse cover featuring all the characters. Then I actually looked at it for more than two seconds.

:stare: What did this artist do to everyone's face?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Finally home. Sad I missed the tournament. Good news is I almost have this Rocky infinite down. Needs two bars and a corner to start up, but it's coming along nicely.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Sorry to the 3 goons I played who had to deal with this. I should have dropped out before it started :smith:

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Jetfire posted:

It's gotten harder to get the third hit of Shulk's Emerald Cannon now depending on where you are on the screen when it starts. When I get it going near the corner I don't think I've yet to hit the third hit. Not sure if it's outright impossible or I need to figure out/change my directional inputs now.
I think that "buff" she got where she leaps forward a bit makes you cross up your opponent in the corner and miss the third hit. It really sucks!

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

The_Cack posted:

I think that "buff" she got where she leaps forward a bit makes you cross up your opponent in the corner and miss the third hit. It really sucks!

Speaking of buffs, C. Viper seems like she was buffed-the-gently caress out.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Yipes and Clockwork are apparently at UC Irvine, and the matches are being streamed:
http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Does anyone know which of Nemesis's assist have super armor on them?

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Launcher slam (the ground bounce one) does but there's a little bit before the armor is activated.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
Any Viper players around?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Speaking of buffs, C. Viper seems like she was buffed-the-gently caress out.
Laser seems nice but she could already do seismos for zoning so time will tell how useful that move will be. More time to input feint doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bob Shabazz posted:

I thought Deadpool could cancel Quick Work into Chimichangas now? I haven't got it to work at all

I've done it a few times when I mashed the gently caress out of H but I can't figure out the timing either.

edit: holy poo poo sentinel's bnb off a frying pan does 937k with mashing now. relaunch off a frying pan does just over a mil with mashing

Dren fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

InnercityGriot posted:

Yipes and Clockwork are apparently at UC Irvine, and the matches are being streamed:
http://www.twitch.tv/offcast

So, did Yipes move to California?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

The_Cack posted:

Laser seems nice but she could already do seismos for zoning so time will tell how useful that move will be. More time to input feint doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It seems like her combo potential is better.

In vanilla my bnb combo was air dash down forward c, cr, a, st. a, cr, b, cr.c, s xx l. seismo, air dash b, air s, st. b, s, air c, double jump, air c, air s, land l. seismo xx super. If you tried to do a second seismo and then continue the combo, your opponent would reset after the first hit after the second seismo. (I admit that I may be misremembering this.)

Anyway, now not only can I add on another seismo, but I can add in an ex burning kick and actually get a relaunch without resetting. So the combo looks like this: air dash down forward c, cr, a, st. a, cr, b, cr.c, s xx l. seismo, air dash b, air s, st. b, s, l. seismo, air dash b, air s, air ex burning kick, st. c, s, air c, double jump, air c, air s, l. seismo xx qcb super.

Not only that, but in vanilla you couldn't combo st.c, h. thunder knuckle xx super even after most, if not all extended combos. For example, I could only get that to work after cr. a, st. a, cr. b, cr. c, s xx h. thunder knuckle, qcb super. Now, I can get it to work as part of most extended combos.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

So, did Yipes move to California?

Yipes is here for SCR, at least that's what the commentator said. Clockwork playing Doom/Ammy/Strider on stream right now, BTW.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Phoenix Wright is hard to gameplan with. Been messing around with Nick/Haggar/Doom at the moment--Doom for hidden missiles to control airspace, Haggar to gently caress up teleport spammers.

The best way to play PW is to runaway and harass until you get your evidence, then spam the gently caress out of his beams (they come out awesomely fast) until they stumble blindly into a Lariat assist, combo into an objection, kill, then tag out and abuse those godlike assists. You can also just throw out random objections to try and catch an assist, since that triggers Turnabout as well.

Whoever said the Maya Shield wasn't good was totally wrong, it eats absolutely anything on the ground. You can tri-dash over it, but Nick's standing L is Magneto-level anti-air, and anyway if you have Haggar assist you eat tri-dashers for breakfast.

Haggar doesn't really benefit from Nick's turnabout assists, though--particularly Break The Witness, which is godly as gently caress and should be abused at all times. Easily the best assist in the game, but Haggar can't wavedash up to take advantage of the wallbounce if it hits.

Might test Iron Man with Repulsar Blast tomorrow...Maya Shield eats 250k worth of damage, so you don't need to worry about getting punished for the most part. She makes a lot of unsafe moves safe.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
One of the coolest changes about this game is a small thing, but I love it. When one of your partners are KOed, both partner buttons will work with him! I hated in Vanilla getting P2 killed, but forgetting that it throws the order of characters out of whack, then trying to use P2 button only to get nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
That's pretty great. I had forgotten about that, and there was no reason why it shouldn't have worked in Vanilla, and I remember getting pretty mad about it when playing the first time.

• Locked thread