Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

super fart shooter posted:

Also remove all christian denominations, put them in one big "christian" religion, and then turn the papacy into some kind of horribly designed game-breaking system that makes europe unplayable.

The Pope is able to tell Christian nations what they can and can't do, like declaring 'God hates all violence' which forbids Christian nations from declaring war, even nations that should be Orthodox.

If Rome is captured by a nation other than the papal states, nothing happens to the Christian nations.

The Triggered Modifiers that benefit Christian nations (like the one for taking over Judea, or Mecca) are removed, and replaced with dozens of modifiers for other religions.

Judaism is added to the game, as a religion that you can convert to.

The Holy Roman Empire simply starts out as one giant nation, minus Austria, Bohemia, Burgundy, and some of the other larger members of the HRE.

Protestants are added as a papal faction in 1600 that favours policies that grant more freedoms to the nations. The Papal States can forced to convert like any other nation.

Best mod ever.

(Edited for format)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Who needs religious variation anyway? Paganism for everyone! :catholic:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Who needs religious variation anyway? Papalism for everyone! :catholic:

Fixed.

I still like my factions for the papacy idea best.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gorgo Primus posted:

Fixed.

I still like my factions for the papacy idea best.

The crusader faction is especially interested in persecuting Mulsims.

To really capitalize on the offensiveness, call the crusader faction the Dominicans. Or Franciscans.:dawkins101:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

DrProsek posted:

The crusader faction is especially interested in persecuting Mulsims.

To really capitalize on the offensiveness, call the crusader faction the Dominicans. Or Franciscans.:dawkins101:

Jesuits!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Saw 50 replies, expected an update. Instead, I got one of the most entertaining derails of the thread so far.

Thanks Wiz for showing me how far I've got to go with Crusader Kings :( you manage to make it look so easy. Makes me appreciate narrative LPs so much more knowing just how easy it would be to "win" the game.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Holy Roman Empire = Shogunate based around Frankfurt. You know you want to.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Freudian posted:

Holy Roman Empire = Shogunate based around Frankfurt. You know you want to.

To add insult to injury, replace the Shogun system in Japan with one that's actually fun and give the old boring one to the HRE.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is the Civilised culture group, duh.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Obviously, Greece, Italy, Southern France, Portugal and Spain should be of the Mediterranean primary culture. Should also get events about their innate laziness and tax evasion.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Finland should get events relating to knives and vodka.
Sweden should get one regarding Dalahästar.

edit: And surströmming, how the gently caress could I forget surströmming?

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 16, 2011

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Norway should start out with some kinda super-pagan religion with a shitload of bonuses and they should get the decisions to invent black metal (+10 cultural tradition, +10 prestige, +10 military tradition) and a provincial decision to burn down the churches in any christian province they conquer, thus instantly converting said province.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Christ these are good ideas and all but someone needs to make a thread before Wiz has to lock again. :psyduck:

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Patter Song posted:

I thought everyone realized that a lot of the things you do in EU3 were pretty objectively terrible for your subjects. Any player of HTTT and prior that just merrily clicks the "Enforce Land Enclosure" provincial decision 50 times or so is objectively starving peasants and driving them off their ancestral lands to make way for nobles and their sheep. Any player absentmindedly clicking "Attack Natives" over and over again is quite literally committing genocide. EU3 is not a game that rewards "moral" play, and frankly it shouldn't.

I do think an interesting EU3 playthrough would be a complete "good guy" playthrough. Only take lands on reconquest CB (lands rightfully yours), maximum tolerance, only defensive war, no claiming thrones, no "Attack Natives" in colonization...it'd be hard as hell.

I have a quid pro-quo policy with the natives, I'm as nice to them as possible until they attack my people or I fail my colonization like three-four times over so that I'm fairly sure its their fault, then I wipe them out unless I'm feeling lazy. However, after I discovered it was other bitching nations inciting them to do so I tend to give them an extra chance or two. Anyway I'm usually too lazy to commit genocide once I decide they're hostile to my people... also I want them to be my people.

As for those other things I usually handwave them as necessary for advancement. I do have a thing for 'enact settlement policy' if I feel inferior to the leading culture group though... playing as Naples I once assimilated the Umbrians and left only 8-9 Lombardian provinces among others.
I think of 'enact settlement policy' as eminent domain of their best land and putting one's culture group in their best jobs and positions. It would make me feel guilty as hell if it wasn't such a darn awesome roleplaying tool for civilizations with an inferiority/superiority complex (and useful).
Recently I played as Hansa and took over Thrace, keeping the rest of Byzantium as a vassal. In order to get more money, prevent revolts and out of sheer pride and the desire to defend Thrace from a Turkish flip in case the Ottomans took it from me, I immediately enacted settlement policy and managed to flip it within a short while.
I think I tried to do the same thing with Rome once with some other nation, that should probably piss of a whole variety of nations. :D

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 16, 2011

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cwDeici posted:

I have a quid pro-quo policy with the natives, I'm as nice to them as possible :words:

Awww, that's so nice of you. You don't commit a genocide, you just steal their land and kill any natives who complain. You truly are a model modern liberal.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

steinrokkan posted:

Awww, that's so nice of you. You don't commit a genocide, you just steal their land and kill any natives who complain. You truly are a model modern liberal.

Technically I kill any natives who are paid to complain or complain, but thank you. : )
Sometimes I even keep them as slaves vassals!

The latter part is really the only realistic way of helping out protecting the natives. You need perfect wars during alliances to protect them or sell them back stolen provinces, and even that and force release doesn't do it if they manage to convert some of them first, I suppose one could also convert to their culture if that is possible, or actively conquer the colonizers before they get to it. Hmmm... maybe Britain with some sort of insane navy that never stops patrolling the coasts of the whole world.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 16, 2011

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

cwDeici posted:

Technically I kill any natives who are paid to complain or complain, but thank you. : )
Sometimes I even keep them as slaves vassals!

The latter part is really the only realistic way of helping out the natives. You need perfect wars during alliances to protect them or sell them back stolen provinces, and even that and force release doesn't do it if they manage to convert some of them first, I suppose one could also convert to their culture if that is possible, or actively conquer the colonizers before they get to it. Hmmm... maybe Britain with some sort of insane navy that never stops patrolling the coasts of the whole world.

Congratulations, you just came up with real life.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Norway should start out with some kinda super-pagan religion with a shitload of bonuses and they should get the decisions to invent black metal (+10 cultural tradition, +10 prestige, +10 military tradition) and a provincial decision to burn down the churches in any christian province they conquer, thus instantly converting said province.

Yes! But make Black Metal a faction of Christianity and allow a Black Metal papacy!

i got killed
Dec 7, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bet this mod would get banned for 'racism'.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think all of Europe should just be 'Christian' with no smaller denominations and the Papacy should be a faction system between Catholics and Orthodox, with Protestant and Anglican (because why not?) added around 1500 or so. Because it makes absolutely no sense and will induce a ton of rage.

Also could we just switch the Shogunate and HRE mechanics? So the HRE would be a crippled broken mess and Japan would work where there's a bunch of basically-independent shoguns with one of them periodically getting elected emperor who protects them from outside forces while letting them fight amongst themselves? That seems like it would both be less of a pain and would make playing in Japan actually kind of interesting, while making everyone in Europe bang their heads against walls.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I think Wiz should close the thread after every update. That was blissful. This is torture.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is an amusing derail, so I don't mind.

If you absolutely don't want to read anything except the updates, why don't you just check the OP now and then for new chapters?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

vyelkin posted:

I think all of Europe should just be 'Christian' with no smaller denominations and the Papacy should be a faction system between Catholics and Orthodox, with Protestant and Anglican (because why not?) added around 1500 or so. Because it makes absolutely no sense and will induce a ton of rage.

Have all of Europe as "Christian," but make the Papal factions Rome, Avignon, and Constantinople.

Also, take the Byzantine modifiers from Death & Taxes and give them to the Ottomans instead. Start the HRE as one country with cores for the individual states, but subject them to tribal succession crises. England and France start as one country (because the English king was the rightful King of France, duh) with France covered in rebels. And make all the Scandinavian countries hordes because they're really just roaming Viking raiders.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zedar posted:

All of Charlemagne's former empire should just have Frankish culture, Spain should be Arabic and England French.

This is good, except for the Frankish bit. France needs French culture to encourage England to attack it! :downs:

Also, add the EU as a European culture union.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
All dutch states(including the wallonian ones) get the following decisions:
-Legalize drugs. Increased tax income, reduced prestige.
-Make wooden shoes. Culture tradition.
-Invent fries. Culture tradition and prestige.
As a downside to this, they get "flooded" events that kill off population. These extend as far east and south as Luxembourg(which, as a bishopric is part of the Papal States because a bishop is to the pope what a duke is to a king, right?)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

FadingChord posted:

Start the HRE as one country with cores for the individual states, but subject them to tribal succession crises.
My god, it's brilliant. I mean feudalism is basically just tribal right? And the HRE never had enough cohesion historically to simply avoid having dozens of pretender stacks every time an Emperor died. It makes perfect sense!

Also much of Russia should be uncolonized. Hey, barely any people actually lived there, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

As a downside to this, they get "flooded" events that kill off population. These extend as far east and south as Luxembourg

No no, we have to make it even dumber. The flooding event happens to a random province that is in the Dutch countries. So if you form the Netherlands and have a globe-spanning empire, you will get random flooding events in, oh say, Milan.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FadingChord posted:

And make all the Scandinavian countries hordes because they're really just roaming Viking raiders.
Nonono, Vikings weren't hordes, make it all into the Kingdom of Denmark because they ruled Norway and then Sweden right? I read that somewhere, I'm sure that was a long period that defined them greatly.

And dammit, we all know too much about European history to really gently caress this up. We need more dumbness, drat it. We need to have Iceland have events where Santa Claus has to go that give minus productivity and the Capital of "Europe" is France.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

I think Wiz should close the thread after every update. That was blissful. This is torture.

Is there anything you don't complain about?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And dammit, we all know too much about European history to really gently caress this up.

What if you called the HRE of Germany?

Oh, wait.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Croatia is Hungarian culture, Greek extends all the way up to Bosnia.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Croatia is Hungarian culture, Greek extends all the way up to Bosnia.

I think the only way to achieve maximum nationalist-fueled indignance is to have Hungary and everything south of it just be Balkan culture, all the way to Constantinople and Greece.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Just go ahead and label all of the culture types in Italy "Italian", same with "Germany", "Spain" and the "United Kingdom".

This sounds sooooo great.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

vyelkin posted:

I think the only way to achieve maximum nationalist-fueled indignance is to have Hungary and everything south of it just be Balkan culture, all the way to Constantinople and Greece.

I think you mean Turkish.

Not that there's really any point including "states" that were just conquered by a small company of Ottomans with cannons anyway.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

For all of this the political map has to look utterly normal. It should only be when you scratch the surface that the entire mess becomes apparent.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think you mean Turkish.

Not that there's really any point including "states" that were just conquered by a small company of Ottomans with cannons anyway.

YEEEEESS. Make them all Turkish. Until you hit European. And just make alot of event that randomly raise rebels there and unrest for no drat reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Sub-cultures could include: Post-Roman, Scandinavian, Balkan, Germanic? Trying to be as offensively generic as possible.

These are actually already the European subcultures in EUIII. If Brabant gains a core on Danzig, it's permanent.

DrProsek posted:

Cultures could be; Spanish (every nation on the Iberian peninsula is Spanish), Gaul(France, Burgundy, Brittany, etc), British (Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, etc. would all use this), German (every HRE nation, including Austria and Bohemia, and the Teutonic Order), Post-Roman (all of Italy), Russian (everything from Poland to Novgorod, minus the T.O.), and Balkan (Hungary and everything south of it).

Again, this...is pretty much how it works in EUIII already. It's slightly more specific, but not by much.

Edit: oh, you're talking about specific cultures, not culture groups. Disregard this post. I thought you were just really bad at this.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 16, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Obviously, Greece, Italy, Southern France, Portugal and Spain should be of the Mediterranean primary culture. Should also get events about their innate laziness and tax evasion.

This raises an interesting point. I would say that Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries are more Nordic- than Eurocentric. As far as I can tell, they don't really identify with Europe, let alone Southern Europe.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

YEEEEESS. Make them all Turkish. Until you hit European. And just make alot of event that randomly raise rebels there and unrest for no drat reason.

No reason is a bad reason. A good reason would be "Balkanization".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

No reason is a bad reason. A good reason would be "Balkanization".
And you'd constantly be gaining and losing reconquest casus belli called "The Balkans Win again" with no cost and no prestige.

• Locked thread