Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

zalmoxes posted:

Does anyone know if there's a version of MusicBrainz Picard that works with Lion? My app crashes at launch all the time.

Works fine for me on Lion. I just retagged my entire library (~80 Gb), over a network share no less. Picard, to its credit, did not crash once in the couple of days it was chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might not be the right thread, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I use a password-protected, file-based wiki as a sort of personal journal. Lately, I realized there is quite a bit of material there that I wouldn't want people to see, and the best way to keep it safe is to not put it on the Internet at all. Especially not a shared Dreamhost server.

A few weeks ago, I set up Apache locally and cloned my wiki configuration on my Mac. I moved all my sensitive information off of Dreamhost and onto my local machine. I think I configured Apache to only listen on port 443, and I only opened port 443 on my router. I also set up .htaccess to disallow bots and require a simple password. Finally, I bought a real certificate for my Mac so I get that shiny little lock icon in my browser whenever I try to connect externally.

So now, I no longer have sensitive information out there on a shared server. What is sensitive, is on my local machine. It is (only?) accessible over SSL, after basic Apache authentication and then the wiki authentication. I think that's a an improvement, but if I'm wrong and I missed something, then I potentially made the problem worse by exposing my whole Mac to the Internet.

Given that explanation, does this sound reasonably secure? Am I missing anything?

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
If you're still using a file-based wiki, you'll need to set up Apache to disallow direct access to anything but the front-end PHP (or whatever) files.

Also, there's no reason to buy an SSL certificate rather than use a self-signed one if you're literally the only one who will be connecting to it :v:

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I'm looking for good OS X Server reference material. I know Mac OS X very well, worked as a genius for a while, but I don't have any experience with the server OS. I've got a Mac Mini colo'd that I'd like to use for/I'm primarily interested in web hosting and email hosting, but I'd also love a good book or website that discusses security and the VPN implementation.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

anagramarye posted:

If you're still using a file-based wiki, you'll need to set up Apache to disallow direct access to anything but the front-end PHP (or whatever) files.

Also, there's no reason to buy an SSL certificate rather than use a self-signed one if you're literally the only one who will be connecting to it :v:

What can I say, I like seeing that green HTTPS in Chrome, heh.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

I don't know what you people are going on about with these screensavers. After Dark's Flying Toasters is the only one there is.

I can't believe I remembered that name. I never even owned a Mac before my Air!
I think there were Windows versions, and otherwise knockoffs cause them toasters were big it seemed.

And Lunatic Fringe was the best one :colbert:

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

zalmoxes posted:

Does anyone know if there's a version of MusicBrainz Picard that works with Lion? My app crashes at launch all the time.

Do you have Java installed? Open terminal and type java, let the popup install java, then try again. Some apps don't work well with the on-demand Java installer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Two questions:

1) Any recommendations for free software to bulk convert Ogg Vorbis to MP3? Since iTunes match won't scan my .ogg files and the iTunes plugin I've been using to play them no longer works, I think it's time to throw in the towel and accept that MP3 has won. So I'd like to transcode (ew) all my music to MP3 so I can get it matched.

2) Any way to get iTunes Match to replace my ID3 tags with the master versions Apple presumably has? One of the things I was actually looking forward to with Match was not having to trawl through all my music updating and correcting tags I haven't yet cleaned up.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

TACD posted:

1) Any recommendations for free software to bulk convert Ogg Vorbis to MP3? Since iTunes match won't scan my .ogg files and the iTunes plugin I've been using to play them no longer works, I think it's time to throw in the towel and accept that MP3 has won. So I'd like to transcode (ew) all my music to MP3 so I can get it matched.
If you know your command line, you could probably download the Ogg decoder binary and LAME encoder binary, then use recursive and wildcard arguments to easily do this. If not, Automator may or may not be able to help. And if not, I'm not aware of a free program to do this.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The best screensaver is the Presstube screensaver. I even made a gif to help show it off:

The second best is The Colour Clock which 'represents time as a hexadecimal colour value'.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

TACD posted:

Two questions:

Try XLD along with this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=81239

They also mention something called "max" in the thread I haven't heard of, you could check out.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cockwhore posted:

Try XLD along with this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=81239

They also mention something called "max" in the thread I haven't heard of, you could check out.

Max is great. Get it here:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tenterhooks posted:

The best screensaver is the Presstube screensaver. I even made a gif to help show it off:

The second best is The Colour Clock which 'represents time as a hexadecimal colour value'.
I've always liked the XScreensaver collection, mainly due to the huge variety it has. Also the creater/complier of the collection is a bit of a sperg (read the Windows instructions)

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/download.html

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Every time I get the urge to go through with my Lion upgrade I read this thread until it passes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What's scaring you about Lion?

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

Two questions:

Evom will do this, either select the option to automatically add it to iTunes, or convert all of them to a folder and do whatever else you want before importing them.

And yes, it's free.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there a non pain in the rear end way to play Planescape: Torment under Lion?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For various levels of PITA, Crossover Games ought to work and has a free trial.
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2492;forum=1;msg=90595

Apart from that you'd need a VM running a period OS.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

The problem with Presstube is it makes you never want to wake your computer up.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm trying to watch a WMV on Snow Leopard. I've tried both VLC and Flip4Mac to no avail. VLC played the audio but couldn't render the video. Specifically it stated, "VLC does not support the video format G2M3. Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this." I found a video that converts it but that's only within Windows.

Anyone know how I can watch this video?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Flip4Mac.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's very strange that VLC didn't work, but MPlayerX might.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

format G2M3.

It's a proprietary codec not supported by Flip4Mac. I suspect you will not be able to watch this video on your mac.

MPlayerX MIGHT actually be able to, but you will have to fiddle with windows DLLs or something -- I remember when I tried to do this with a similarly unsupported codec. I never managed to get it working and sadly the easiest solution was just to watch it in WinXP under VMWare.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try Movist as well, I've not run into many things it won't play..

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This absolutely drives me nuts, any advice?

I am on Snow Leopard with a Mighty Mouse, but this also has happened to me on Lion with a Magic Mouse. I'll be in Safari and right click on something, and it will make my window full screen. Not full screen mode, but expanded to take up the entire screen. This is also in programs like Pages. I can consistently right click on a hyperlink, and it expands the app full screen. What gives?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 17, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Try Movist as well, I've not run into many things it won't play..
There's a new version on the App Store for $5 btw.

Astro7x posted:

This absolutely drives me nuts, any advice?

I am on Snow Leopard with a Mighty Mouse, but this also has happened to me on Lion with a Magic Mouse. I'll be in Safari and right click on something, and it will make my window full screen. Not full screen mode, but expanded to take up the entire screen. This is also in programs like Pages. I can consistently right click on a hyperlink, and it expands the app full screen. What gives?
Is it any time you right click or just on links? All I can think of is that you have some sort of window resizer thing and a setting going wild for whatever reason. I guess clear out whatever resizers if you have any, or other mouse stuff like BetterTouchTool that can also mess with windows.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I just bought a season of a TV series on iTunes in HD. It started the download, but it also added the same season as SD (or non-HD) videos to my download queue. Is this normal or is it a glitch? I hope I won't get billed twice, but so far there is only the HD purchase listed on my iTunes account page.

EDIT: VVV Awesome :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 18, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's normal. The SD stuff is meant to watch on your iPhone/iPad etc. I'm also not aware of a way to cancel those downloads. It just forces you to download the SD ones even if you don't need them.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's normal. When you buy the HD show you also get the SD version for your iPhone and such. You weren't double-billed for it.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
oops thought this was the itunes thread

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Byword, WriteRoom, or iA Writer?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Pages? With only word processing app names, I have no idea what you're specifically looking for.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
:downs:

"Which minimalistic writing software do you like best", I should have put in there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
TextEdit :v:

Actually I usually use TextMate or Notational Velocity but hell if I know if those would fit your use beyond being simple.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Do you mean minimalistic as in "very few features" or as in has a full screen writing mode that hides everything else? Pages in full screen mode has a very minimalistic interface without a bunch of toolbars or anything showing.

Edit: Like this:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

anagramarye posted:

:downs:

"Which minimalistic writing software do you like best", I should have put in there.

This is such a subjective question; you're going to get a ton of different answers. Personally, Pages for larger, work-related poo poo and Notational Velocity for notes, memos, and personal poo poo.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'm having an odd issue. I set Safari to open safe files after downloading. I info'd a PDF and made sure that all PDFs open with preview. But when I download a PDF in Safari 5.1 on Lion, it doesn't automatically open in Preview. This used to happen. But now it doesn't.

In fact, Preview sometimes doesn't even open a file when i click the "open in preview" button while viewing a PDF within a Safari window.

Anyone else having these issues or know of a solution?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Do you mean minimalistic as in "very few features" or as in has a full screen writing mode that hides everything else? Pages in full screen mode has a very minimalistic interface without a bunch of toolbars or anything showing.

Edit: Like this:

For minimalistic as in 'no distractions, fullscreen', I like OmmWriter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
VMware updated with the usual stuff (performance, fixes, etc), but also this:
http://www.macworld.com/article/163755/2011/11/vmware_fusion_update_lets_users_virtualize_leopard_snow_leopard.html

quote:

But one big change with this update isn’t documented anywhere: The software has been modified so that it will run the non-server versions of Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) and Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5). Previously, VMware Fusion supported virtual Macs running Lion, Lion Server, Snow Leopard Server, and Leopard Server.

Apple’s operating-system license policy during the Leopard and Snow Leopard eras specified that only the server version of Mac OS X could be run in a virtual machine, and then only on Apple hardware. When Lion was released, that policy changed to allow both Lion Server and the non-server version of Lion to be virtualized.

VMware Fusion asks if you're licensed.When a user tries to install Leopard or Snow Leopard in Fusion 4.1, a dialog box appears that says, “Verify that the operating system is licensed to run in a virtual machine.” In essence, this removes VMware from the position of having to evaluate and enforce Apple’s operating-system license, and instead leaves the decision in the hands of users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have a Logitech MX900 and I want the mouse to behave a little more Windows like. I downloaded the Logitech Control Center V. 3.5.1-23, but it doesn't recognize my ancient mouse so I can't apply the Logitech driver magic.

What's the best way to get the mouse acceleration to feel like Windows?

edit: Could we possibly put the answer to this question in the OP?

edit2: I don't know if it's placebo effect or not but just having that Logitech Control Center installed appears to have changed the feel of the mouse acceleration.

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 19, 2011