Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Now that I think about it, I forgot that the PS3 has Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, the best kart-racing game I've played in years that isn't a Mario Kart game, and that has four-player split screen (I have that on the Xbox 360). The only other kart racing game I ever enjoyed that wasn't Mario Kart was Wacky Races on the Dreamcast, which had the bonus of being both a good game and feature Wacky Races characters (I'm old).

My friends and I do most of our local multiplayer gaming on either the Wii or one of the many older consoles I still happen to have, mostly the N64 for stuff like Goldeneye and the many good wrestling games it has. It'd be great if the 360 and PS3 had some more variety in local multiplayer games like the Wii has, but what can ya do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mercury Crusader posted:

Now that I think about it, I forgot that the PS3 has Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, the best kart-racing game I've played in years that isn't a Mario Kart game, and that has four-player split screen (I have that on the Xbox 360).

And this jsut reminded me that ModNation Racers is a very well-built kart racer that still has a pretty big community, I think, and has a whole bunch of user-created tracks so you don't always have to race the same 10 tracks over and over. Pretty much everything in the game is customizable, and there are alot of pieces that aren't DLC exclusive. Also, tracks that use DLC pieces can be used by anyone, so you don't have to buy extra content just to play new tracks.

e: My friends don't like kart racers as much as I do, though, so I don't get to play it much.:(

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Well, I just got Skyrim for PS3 and then I read this discussion. Hopefully the patch fixes it before it becomes a problem for me.

Anyway, is there any place online with the Skyrim PS3(Or 360) manual scanned? Amazon sent me a copy with both manuals in french.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but you can look at a pdf manual for the PC version on Steam's website: http://store.steampowered.com/manual/72850/. I have to imagine that its pretty much the same. You can find PS3 specific controls on Gamefly's website. Weirdly enough, I could find nothing for the console versions except some terrible photos on imgur from before the game came out.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
My friend bought Skyrim on release and couldn't stop talking about it (he's a ridiculous Elder Scrolls fan), begging me to come over to see it. I wasn't terribly enthused, but I went anyway. He was entering an area that required load just as I walked in. During the loading screen I reminded him that it was a Bethesda game and asked him if it was buggy. As he replied that it was bug-free, we noticed that the loading screen had stopped animating and he actually had to unplug his PS3 to get anything to happen.

So, I watched him play for about an hour and a half and left really glad that I trusted my gut and didn't pick it up sight-unseen. It crashed three more times during that period. I also saw an instance where creatures were walking in the sky and bouncing up and down. The animations were only very slightly improved from Oblivion and while the textures were pretty, the snow and trees were ugly and everything just looked sterile and lifeless. I get that you can kind of do anything you want in the game, but it'd be nice if Bethesda had a clue as to how to create enough visual and audio feedback to make you FEEL like you were part of a world, doing actual things.

At one point he was walking up a mountain, endlessly trying to find invisible switchbacks, running left and right up very steep inclines. In third-person, it looked so loving ridiculous that I was rolling laughing. I asked why he was cheesing the game and he claimed that his character (some furry sort) was good at maneuvering and that's how he was supposed to do it. I mean, couldn't they create some sort of animation to imply that you were good at climbing? And NPCs just either march like they have bad diarrhea or just stand completely loving still.

My friend can't get broadband where he lives so he asked if he could bring his PS3 over this past Tuesday to download the "new patch that fixes crashing and stuff." So I said sure. Now, I'm not sure what the patch was actually supposed to do, but after he downloaded it, he insisted on showing me where he was in the game. Needless to say he got really upset on the second area loading screen when he had to unplug his PS3 over a hard crash again.

Anyway, I'm ranting, but I just can't believe people are proclaiming Skyrim as GOTY when it's clearly a buggy, unpolished, visually-uninspired skeleton of a game. It's especially baffling considering that number of extremely kickass games this season.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SpacePig posted:

ModNation Racers

I got that game for the PSP during the whole "free games because we screwed up our internet security" thing, and I found the controls difficult (that slide pad isn't very comfortable for a racing game to me). Is it a lot better on the PS3?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Modern Warfare 3 has split-screen online mode, though obviously that's not a cheap way to go.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

ColdCock posted:

My friend bought Skyrim on release and couldn't stop talking about it (he's a ridiculous Elder Scrolls fan), begging me to come over to see it. I wasn't terribly enthused, but I went anyway. He was entering an area that required load just as I walked in. During the loading screen I reminded him that it was a Bethesda game and asked him if it was buggy. As he replied that it was bug-free, we noticed that the loading screen had stopped animating and he actually had to unplug his PS3 to get anything to happen.

So, I watched him play for about an hour and a half and left really glad that I trusted my gut and didn't pick it up sight-unseen. It crashed three more times during that period. I also saw an instance where creatures were walking in the sky and bouncing up and down. The animations were only very slightly improved from Oblivion and while the textures were pretty, the snow and trees were ugly and everything just looked sterile and lifeless. I get that you can kind of do anything you want in the game, but it'd be nice if Bethesda had a clue as to how to create enough visual and audio feedback to make you FEEL like you were part of a world, doing actual things.

At one point he was walking up a mountain, endlessly trying to find invisible switchbacks, running left and right up very steep inclines. In third-person, it looked so loving ridiculous that I was rolling laughing. I asked why he was cheesing the game and he claimed that his character (some furry sort) was good at maneuvering and that's how he was supposed to do it. I mean, couldn't they create some sort of animation to imply that you were good at climbing? And NPCs just either march like they have bad diarrhea or just stand completely loving still.

My friend can't get broadband where he lives so he asked if he could bring his PS3 over this past Tuesday to download the "new patch that fixes crashing and stuff." So I said sure. Now, I'm not sure what the patch was actually supposed to do, but after he downloaded it, he insisted on showing me where he was in the game. Needless to say he got really upset on the second area loading screen when he had to unplug his PS3 over a hard crash again.

Anyway, I'm ranting, but I just can't believe people are proclaiming Skyrim as GOTY when it's clearly a buggy, unpolished, visually-uninspired skeleton of a game. It's especially baffling considering that number of extremely kickass games this season.

Thanks for this. You just made my decision to wait on this game if I decide to get it at all.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I thought the mountain rock textures in Skyrim were pretty crap looking, myself.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Whilst I am really enjoying Skyrim, I do find it annoying how it's getting all these 10/10 reviews and non-stop praise for every corner, when it really does have some terrible technical flaws. It was the exact same thing with Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, yet Bethesda never get called on it, so they never have any incentive to improve.

If anything it shouldn't even have passed certification, never mind get Game of the Year.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

a shameful boehner posted:

I thought the mountain rock textures in Skyrim were pretty crap looking, myself.

Well, yes they do, but I was referring more to the textures on architecture. I saw a village with little cabins/cottages and it looked sorta uncannily real. I say uncanny because it was kinda photorealistic in the most static sense. There were braziers or something but the light projected on the ground didn't flicker or move, none of the fabric hangings were moving in the breeze, no bugs or birds or dust. Even the NPCs were just standing upright with ridiculous postures, never moving. Like he was walking past a giant photograph.

Guh, just frustrating to me. Definitely not my cup of tea.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
That sounds a lot like every other Bethesda game I've played, frankly. ENDLESS UNLIMITED FREEDOM IN AN ENORMOUS WORLD WHERE YOU'LL NEVER RUN OUT OF THINGS TO DO OR EXPLOREwith lots of bugs and sub par graphics and the same gameplay from the last 3 game generations

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
My policy for all Bethesda games is wait until the game is both cheaper and as patched as it's going to get. With it, I've enjoyed all of their recent titles.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Oh man, vote_no, I wish you luck with the Chicago races. They're FILLED with bullshit. If you can stick it out until the end, though, the very last race into New York is pretty crazy. I wish they'd done more races like that. Overall, I think the game was decent, but there was a LOT of frustration in and around Chicago. Thankfully, it's the last of the QTEs if you're really hating that stuff, so overall, there's only three of 'em in the whole game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

quote:

Though this may not be a surprise worthy of even a single exclamation point, it's welcome news to fans of cardboard camouflage, fateful fistfights, and delicious, convenient Calorie Mates.

There's going to be a Metal Gear Solid 5. And, despite his constant efforts to extricate himself from the series, Hideo Kojima is going to be in charge of it -- though it's currently unclear whether that will be in a higher-level production capacity or as director.

Sigh.

I mean, it's my favorite series and all. Dunno what to think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the hell is there left to do with Metal Gear Solid? I mean seriously. MSG4 ended the series as pretty permanently as anything can be ended without flat-out killing everyone in the cast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would think it would be smart to get Metal Gear Solid Rising out first, before even thinking about a Metal Gear Solid 5. Rising has been pushed back so much now.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It's just going to be one long cutscene of Snake grunting into a walkie talkie.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is there left to do with Metal Gear Solid? I mean seriously. MSG4 ended the series as pretty permanently as anything can be ended without flat-out killing everyone in the cast.

To be fair, I thought that after I finished MGS4 too, but then they went on to do Peace Walker which turned out to be loving awesome.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Would Konami be ballsy enough to go far into the future and have a whole new cast of characters fighting a new war?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ein Bear posted:

To be fair, I thought that after I finished MGS4 too, but then they went on to do Peace Walker which turned out to be loving awesome.

Well, gameplay-wise I can see, but storywise it really really feels like everything has been covered. I guess they could do a prequel starring The Boss or something.

TaurusOxford posted:

Would Konami be ballsy enough to go far into the future and have a whole new cast of characters fighting a new war?

If by "new cast" you mean "A clone of Solid Snake" and by new cast you mean "Otacon's son who happens to look and sound exactly like him" then certainly.

(The big twist will be that he's actually Johnny's son and just thinks he's a clone of Solid Snake because nobody wanted to admit the truth to him about his dad. Be prepared for the most dramatic pants-making GBS threads scene of all time.)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ein Bear posted:

Peace Walker works as a prequel. They could just keep doing prequels forever until it matches up with the original Metal Gear story.

To go any further in the storyline is pretty stupid. If it even has Snake in it at all, he's going to be on crutches, or dead. Rising is an interquel, so that works. Maybe Kojima will shock the world and just have Snake be dead in the first minute of the game and you play as Not-Raiden.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TaurusOxford posted:

Obviously Metal Gear Solid 5 will be the continuing adventures of Metal Gear and Gillian Seed, as they finally go to the loving Kremlin and kill those Snatchers so I can get some goddamn closure.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crappy Jack posted:

Obviously Metal Gear Solid 5 will be the continuing adventures of Metal Gear and Gillian Seed, as they finally go to the loving Kremlin and kill those Snatchers so I can get some goddamn closure.

Please don't joke about this. Kojima even has a Snatcher 2 design plan :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Why make ZOE 3 when you can make the SAME game again, huh Kojima? Brilliant.

Really, at this point, I'd even take a Castlevania: LOS 2 from him instead of more MGS.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mercury Crusader posted:

I got that game for the PSP during the whole "free games because we screwed up our internet security" thing, and I found the controls difficult (that slide pad isn't very comfortable for a racing game to me). Is it a lot better on the PS3?

It is. I tried the demo for the PSP one, and found it to be absolutely broken. The only problem with the PS3 one is that load times can be long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Why make ZOE 3 when you can make the SAME game again, huh Kojima? Brilliant.

Really, at this point, I'd even take a Castlevania: LOS 2 from him instead of more MGS.

Kojima didn't make Castlevania:LoS. He had nothing to do with it beyond some advising.

(I want ZoE3 so bad but I'm worried they'll follow through on that ZoE3DS picture from a while back...)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

SamBishop posted:

Oh man, vote_no, I wish you luck with the Chicago races. They're FILLED with bullshit. If you can stick it out until the end, though, the very last race into New York is pretty crazy. I wish they'd done more races like that. Overall, I think the game was decent, but there was a LOT of frustration in and around Chicago. Thankfully, it's the last of the QTEs if you're really hating that stuff, so overall, there's only three of 'em in the whole game.

Hint: avoid being shot!

It wasn't that the QTEs were intolerable or anything, I just didn't think they should be there and it adds to the overall bad feeling I get from the game. The last New York race is hilarious because as long as you don't die, your rival will wait around until the last cutscene a mile from the finish. You can stop dead and he'll just hang out.

What really made me stop playing the game was trying to get Gold in one of the San Fransisco challenge series where you had to go 200 mph through dense traffic with the horrible controls. You're right, it's a decent game... it just isn't fun, and it definitely isn't worth $60.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

I'd bet on it being another Big Boss prequel game. Didn't Kojima show a screenshot from the Fox Engine of Big Boss in a jungle at some talk he did recently or something?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Kojima didn't make Castlevania:LoS. He had nothing to do with it beyond some advising.

I know, that's why I said I'd rather he worked on that instead.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

a shameful boehner posted:

It's just going to be one long cutscene of Snake grunting into a walkie talkie.

Walkie talkie?!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So I might have missed it amidst the talk about how Skyrim sucks and MGS5 doesn't need to be made, but it looks like THQ did something genuinely nice for the PS3 version of Saint's Row 3.

I guess that version was supposed to have exclusive content, but it never happened. So what they ended up doing is, when you redeem your online pass, you'll be able to download a full copy of Saint's Row 2.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

ElwoodCuse posted:

Walkie talkie?!

It involves Snake's struggle with dementia,wherein he continually interrogates that kid whose sole purpose in life is to make eggs about his next mission. The game will take place in his head :madmax:.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

vote_no posted:

Hint: avoid being shot!

It wasn't that the QTEs were intolerable or anything, I just didn't think they should be there and it adds to the overall bad feeling I get from the game. The last New York race is hilarious because as long as you don't die, your rival will wait around until the last cutscene a mile from the finish. You can stop dead and he'll just hang out.

What really made me stop playing the game was trying to get Gold in one of the San Fransisco challenge series where you had to go 200 mph through dense traffic with the horrible controls. You're right, it's a decent game... it just isn't fun, and it definitely isn't worth $60.

That helpful little "tip" was absolutely rage-inducing. "Just don't get shot, dummy!" As two vans and a helicopter are absolutely lighting you up while you try to swerve around traffic.

I managed to get ONE gold in SF, and promptly decided it wasn't worth trying to chase any of those challenges. They're even more frustrating than the normal races.

That said, I did have a decent time with the game (mostly the beginning and very end), but yeah, there's a lot of aggravating things that I can only assume they thought would be challenging. Nope, just controller-snapping, seeing-red, expletive-hurling frustration. We are in total agreement about it not being worth $60, that's for drat sure. I'll clear up some space on my friends list and add you when the PSN comes back online. Gotta play all that stuff before I can actually review it, but I'm not exactly looking forward to the experience.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Metal Gear Solid 5...hmm. I had 4, never played it all the way through. But that being said it'd be nice to have a completely different sort of theme along for it, separate from War. gently caress, I don't care if it's Solid Snake made young again because of Nanites. But let's go explore a new realm of Kojima's Whackiness.

Let's go with nature vs nurture or life. Yes. Metal Gear Solid 5 is a life simulator. You thought Raiden in MGS 2 was just annoying atmosphere/character/theme development? gently caress, no! It was the true hint of where things are going.

You start out as a baby Solid Snake, rebirthed thanks to...umm...someone who survived MGS4. As a baby you must sneak your way to the cookie jar, survive that loving cat, and endure cutscenes of lectures and baby talk from your "parents." In High School, you will simulate relationships! By sneaking around to get a peak at the girls showering and avoiding that loving lesbian feminist butch gym teacher. Cutscenes involve you at the principals office and a scared straight segment.

Eventually things go awry during college and your Truman Show-esque life is exposed. Now the real danger begins as you must escape your captors and you discover your genetic heritage. Live as a hobo lamenting you did not get a college degree! Avoid police as you go looking for hookers, crack, and more! Be a professional thief as you rob people!

In your old age you are a senile, ornery, schizophrenic billionaire. What will you do?!

Perhaps a decision making system to simulate choice or character track.

I'm going to stop because even though this is off the top of my head this is too much thinking for something like this.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Jamesman posted:

I guess that version was supposed to have exclusive content, but it never happened. So what they ended up doing is, when you redeem your online pass, you'll be able to download a full copy of Saint's Row 2.

Is this actually true? I would take a free game over content any day

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

VerySolidSnake posted:

Yes

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

I'd bet on it being another Big Boss prequel game. Didn't Kojima show a screenshot from the Fox Engine of Big Boss in a jungle at some talk he did recently or something?

I'd guess this too. There's a big gap in the series between 1974 (Peace walker) and 1995 (MG1) I don't think there is anything between these games? (I haven't played PW yet so I dunno how it leaves the story)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

VerySolidSnake posted:

It's a really good game, too. I am enjoying SR3, but frankly, it only seems like a minor improvement over SR2. Kind of like AC2 to Brotherhood. Not that SR3 is bad, at all, it's just that SR2 was really drat good.

Though the missions are definitely better in SR3. It's more the sandbox part that is basically the same.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

So I might have missed it amidst the talk about how Skyrim sucks and MGS5 doesn't need to be made, but it looks like THQ did something genuinely nice for the PS3 version of Saint's Row 3.

Ahem :colbert:

No one ever pays attention to me...

I like how this stroy kind of shows how poo poo game journalism is. Most sites are reporting this as if it was the planned extra content when it's clear that THQ just forgot and are throwing this in to make up for it. The difference between those two things isn't huge, but it just shows that most sites just parrot the press released they're handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

axleblaze posted:

Ahem :colbert:

No one ever pays attention to me...

I like how this stroy kind of shows how poo poo game journalism is. Most sites are reporting this as if it was the planned extra content when it's clear that THQ just forgot and are throwing this in to make up for it. The difference between those two things isn't huge, but it just shows that most sites just parrot the press released they're handed.

Well that's one step better then when they just make up obviously false poo poo out based on nothing just to get views. Honestly, would anyone care if all of gaming journalism just disappeared? I guess Rock, Paper, Shotgun can stay around. They're cool.

• Locked thread