Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
I have a thing where I hate to mess with the 12x8 ratio. Even if I have a mic that can easily be cropped out by using unorthodox dimensions, I absolutely refuse to mess with the dimensions because, to me, it feels kind of like cheating.

Is this unreasonable or unwise? I like the composition that Abnegatus got, and it probably wouldn't have been as effective if he kept it to 12x8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It's a matter of personal taste. I try to keep things at a printable ratio, but 1:1.5 isn't something I consider holy. Also I am definitely a sucker for a square crop now and then.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The venue for the show was a legit black box theater. No white anywhere to bounce my flash off

Handguns Preview 2 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I wanted to start getting into concert photography but im pretty sure iv been ignored a few times for not being connected to any publications or websites. Is that just how it goes? What should I say if they ask what publication im with?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Shot the Bayside/Saves The Day/Transit/I Am The Avalanche show last night. Great time

Transit at the Recher Theater by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TouchToneDialing posted:

I wanted to start getting into concert photography but im pretty sure iv been ignored a few times for not being connected to any publications or websites. Is that just how it goes? What should I say if they ask what publication im with?

Do you have an existing body of work? Have you done work for smaller independent publications? If you have nothing, get out there and shoot some small club or bar shows for experience. Eventually you can get on board with something small like those free local papers or magazines and that'll be your foot in the door.

If you have the time and energy, you can start your own web site for show reviews, interviews and photos and what not. Lots of people do that and get access to all sorts of shows.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Do you have an existing body of work? Have you done work for smaller independent publications? If you have nothing, get out there and shoot some small club or bar shows for experience. Eventually you can get on board with something small like those free local papers or magazines and that'll be your foot in the door.

If you have the time and energy, you can start your own web site for show reviews, interviews and photos and what not. Lots of people do that and get access to all sorts of shows.

That's what I did (the second thing). It's wicked time consuming sometimes though

And with work and my budding social life it's burning me the gently caress out. I need to take a break from live stuff

That being said: more live stuff!

Transit-54 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 15, 2011

shykid10
May 4, 2009
From a few shows around Portland, OR.

Figley and Colin McArthur of Animal Eyes by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Daniel Balk of The Postelles by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Evan Hailstone of Fanno Creek by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Impromptu shot:

Mathien by Myotomy, on Flickr

Shot while they were recording a video:

Mathien by Myotomy, on Flickr

gently caress drummers... haha

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Like everyone else I'm sure, I love nothing more than smoke machines in poorly lit venues when flash is not allowed! All at ISO1600, through smoke.

Incipit by falamhachd, on Flickr

Krig by falamhachd, on Flickr

The rite of Infernal Invocation by falamhachd, on Flickr

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Gr31lly posted:

I love nothing more than smoke machines in poorly lit venues when flash is not allowed!

You understand flash would make it look horrible in smoke right?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Evilkiksass posted:

You understand flash would make it look horrible in smoke right?

Well, smoke machines don't usually run continuously, from personal experience you usually have a 10 second or so window during cycles in which you can get some shots with flash and of course, off-camera lighting/flash would've been fine for sure. It wasn't extremely heavy, just strong enough to make getting focus an issue.

As it is, the lack of adequate backlighting was a bigger gripe.

At least the vocalist was moving through and around the smoke - the guitarist (as I expected, based on past experience) was more than happy to just stand in the midst of it, near the back of the stage, hair over his face and concentrate purely on his guitar.

Blood stains the circle by falamhachd, on Flickr

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Gr31lly posted:

Like everyone else I'm sure, I love nothing more than smoke machines in poorly lit venues when flash is not allowed! All at ISO1600, through smoke.

Incipit by falamhachd, on Flickr

Krig by falamhachd, on Flickr

The rite of Infernal Invocation by falamhachd, on Flickr

These look kickass, dude. I think they would be less interesting without the smoke.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

A local music blog has asked me to photograph for them. What should I ask for, or expect as far as usage and exclusivity and related business stuff? They've offered me gas, parking and press passes in exchange for photos, which seems like a good deal for an otherwise unemployed upstart.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Press Passes are a pre-requisite of taking on the job. In my books, they're not payment. In terms of usage, I would say that unless money has been exchanged for taking the photos ONLY, (which, and I don't know about other places but here that means the copyright is given to the payer) then you should be able to reproduce them on your blog/website/portfolio/whatever at will, but just check with them first to see what they say.

But sometimes you got to start out working for free to get a good terms with people. And to build up a good folio of images to show around. Just get out there and shoot, regardless of what you financially get out of it at the start.

CONTENT:
Shot a tribute to Nick Cave last night here in Sydney. 3 songs at the front and then all from the sound desk. :bang:.

Straight To You - a Tribute to Nick Cave by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Straight To You - a Tribute to Nick Cave by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Nilson posted:

Press Passes are a pre-requisite of taking on the job. In my books, they're not payment. In terms of usage, I would say that unless money has been exchanged for taking the photos ONLY, (which, and I don't know about other places but here that means the copyright is given to the payer) then you should be able to reproduce them on your blog/website/portfolio/whatever at will, but just check with them first to see what they say.

But sometimes you got to start out working for free to get a good terms with people. And to build up a good folio of images to show around. Just get out there and shoot, regardless of what you financially get out of it at the start.

What I have found to work well for me is the offer to shoot 1 event for free. I retain copyright, but grant them permission to use credited images for promotional purposes only. I also make it clear up front that in the future I will charge for work, and that this is basically a "risk free" way for them to be sure I am worth their money. Also, I only deal with people for whom the event is their livelihood. If this is something a person does for a living, they take it seriously. If it is something they do on the side 1 weekend a month they tend to not care.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
In this day and age, gas and parking are probably worth more than what you would have been paid anyway.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The iPhone 4S camera is insane

Nilson - finally! Another Sydney music photographer here. Who do you shoot for?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's a weird effect how the area around the musicians is all aliased because of the screen behind them.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

psylent posted:

Nilson - finally! Another Sydney music photographer here. Who do you shoot for?

Various places but recently been working for The Vine a lot. How about yourself? Were you shooting at Harvest too? How good were the Lips!? I'd never seen them up close until then.

My POV:

Harvest Festival - Sydney - The Flaming Lips by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Harvest Festival - Sydney - The Flaming Lips by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Harvest Festival - Sydney - The National by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Harvest Festival - Sydney - Portishead by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I hate venues with all black walls and red lighting. Flipside: I love when bands play on the floor.

Part of me really wants to get my hands on the Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, part of me hates fisheye band shots

Tigerscout by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Shot Tigerscout again tonight, except in a basement. Much better venue

Tigerscout Preview 2 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 20, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

That's a weird effect how the area around the musicians is all aliased because of the screen behind them.

It's in most of my shots like that with the Flaming Lips as well. Such a pain, not sure why it happens.

If we're doing the Flaming Lips, I got my chance at Harvest last night. Then I went to our local community station to have Wayne Coyne conduct an iPhone orchestra playing Zaireeka in full, which led to an all night party with the site I work for whose Sydney based editor-in-chief flew up to Brisbane for Harvest took over the airways with the John Steel Singers and DZ Deathrays. And then one of the JSS passed out on air. Fantastic night, got home at 630 and started editing photos.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Nilson posted:

Various places but recently been working for The Vine a lot. How about yourself? Were you shooting at Harvest too? How good were the Lips!? I'd never seen them up close until then.
I've shot for the usual blogs, but haven't really put much effort into self-promotion. I'm past that age where I want to be out 5-6 nights a week shooting bands and doing social shots (ugh). So it's really just a hobby for me now :)

I wasn't shooting at Harvest with anything aside from my iPhone, it would have been awesome festival to shoot though.

Katarena
Nov 13, 2011
I'm a hermit that very rarely gets out of my house, however the album release of Alpine Fault's "Iraena's Ashes" was a whole other story. They are amazing and you should check them out

Please be gentle with me, I've only owned a DSLR for two months, and this is the first time I've gone to a gig. I just turned up with camera. This is what I walked away with. I fiddled around in lightroom, Akvir noisebuster and gimp for resizing, because I have NFI what I'm doing.

This is my favourite image from the night. It's the first picture I've taken that I'm proud enough of to want to make a print of. I'm thinking I'll have him sign it and then hang it up in my apartment or something.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Then I went to our local community station to have Wayne Coyne conduct an iPhone orchestra playing Zaireeka in full, which led to an all night party with the site I work for whose Sydney based editor-in-chief flew up to Brisbane for Harvest took over the airways with the John Steel Singers and DZ Deathrays. And then one of the JSS passed out on air. Fantastic night, got home at 630 and started editing photos.

Oh hey I read about that just the other day. Well done with Zaireeka! :golfclap:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

Oh hey I read about that just the other day. Well done with Zaireeka! :golfclap:

Haha it bombed out pretty quickly due to organization and I'm assuming Wayne Coyne being super tired. Still a fantastic night however.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just found out Iron & Wine is playing on the 3rd in L.A.! I'm super excited, despite not at all being able to afford a ticket. I am however hoping to get a ticket/photopass combo in exchange for some free non-monetary promotional work. I'm still worried about being able to pay for gas and parking though.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Abnegatus posted:

Just found out Iron & Wine is playing on the 3rd in L.A.! I'm super excited, despite not at all being able to afford a ticket. I am however hoping to get a ticket/photopass combo in exchange for some free non-monetary promotional work. I'm still worried about being able to pay for gas and parking though.

If there's one thing I learned while in LA it was gently caress driving anywhere. I was there for a stop between home and SXSW, and had to travel from Anaheim to downtown for a Lykke Li concert. Ended up with a $120 cab ride there and a $6 metro ride back.

That said, I've just bumped all my plans forward about 5 days for SXSW2012. Radiohead are playing in Austin on the 7th, and I was due to arrive on the 11th. Chances are they'll play somewhere at SXSW but I'm not going to give up that chance...fingers crossed for a photo pass.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The girl in the striped top was not happy to see another photographer. gently caress it was dark.

Dappled Cities, one of the best bands Sydney has produced in the last few years. It's really a shame they haven't made it big yet.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 2, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I saw Austra last night, didn't bother trying to get a press pass. There was a little dorky guy running around with this on a large expensive body.

Envious? Yes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

The girl in the striped top was not happy to see another photographer. gently caress it was dark.

The only photographers that aren't happy to see other photographers are the crappy ones because they know they'll be outshot.

Also, you need to adjust your metering methods because the subjects are way underexposed what with the highlights in the background. Either that or bump it up in post.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Weird, I was spot metering for the faces, but mostly shooting manual. I did a rush job on the post to be honest, had to get to bed :)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

teethgrinder posted:

I saw Austra last night, didn't bother trying to get a press pass. There was a little dorky guy running around with this on a large expensive body.

Envious? Yes.

Holy gently caress.

I want either the 35L or the 24L

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
Awesome shots, Butthole.

I got the chance to shoot Jay-Z and Kanye West down here in New Orleans. Has anyone else shot these two together on this tour? They stuck us back by the soundboard at the Arena, which ended up being a blessing in disguise. They had two stages, the main stage and a soundboard stage. Jay-Z started on the soundboard stage a good 20-30 feet away -- perfect situation, really -- and Kanye was on the main stage up way high, a good 100-200 feet off the ground. Had to crop to get useable full shots of him.

Anyway, it was a fun, challenging set because the crowd was everywhere while we were very limited in where we could go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48111742@N05/6450861921/in/set-72157628269571409/lightbox/

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Just had a big music festival here in Sydney - Homebake. All Australian (and a little bit of NZ) music! Very long, hot day.

Homebake 2011 - Grinderman by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Nick Cave! :woop:

Homebake 2011 - PNAU by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Homebake 2011 - Architecture in Helsinki by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Grind shows in small little venues are the most fun to shoot

Priapus by iantuten, on Flickr

shykid10
May 4, 2009
Shot of few amazing Portland bands in a tiny horribly lit bar in Downtown Portland.

Elec Morin of Youth by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Berg Radin of And And And by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Sam Tenhoff of Animal Eyes by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Been doing so many model shoots lately that I've missed doing gig stuff.

The Misfits in Melbourne

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^^^I really like that second image. How does the band sound live?
----

I was going over a bunch of folders from previous shots and decided to retool a few images here and there, these are the last two I did:

YOB 1205 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Dark Castle 476 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Abnegatus posted:

Dark Castle 476 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

What's up Stevie Floyd picture buddy :hfive: