Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

Just so everyone knows, Code Jockey owes me $5 for losing our bet. I bet him $5 that he couldn't plat Valkyria Chronicles and he accepted.

He is now trying to pay me in BitCoins. :(

Hey maybe you should shut up jerk :arghfist::(

God I'm dumb.

Via PSN: "I'll bet you $5 you will never plat VC!"

I'm all HELL YEAH I LOVE THIS GAME I WANT TO PLAT IT ITS ON

Oh wait, I keep D-ranking missions because I'm a giant sissy who organizes big careful movements and takes hours to beat missions, I'm gonna have a tough time!

Hmmm, you know I don't recall the last time I heard that little *ding*, I should go check what trophies I've already earned and what I need, I'm curi-

:argh:

e. and for the record I offered both bit- and cosby-coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You do know that in Valkyria Chronicles your rank is based mostly on how fast you complete missions? Just get Alicia to like Level Max then slap a shitload of Orders on her and run her to the main enemy camp. There are some that you can win in like 1 turn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

You do know that in Valkyria Chronicles your rank is based mostly on how fast you complete missions? Just get Alicia to like Level Max then slap a shitload of Orders on her and run her to the main enemy camp. There are some that you can win in like 1 turn.
Not mostly, only. Only.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SpacePig posted:

It is. I tried the demo for the PSP one, and found it to be absolutely broken. The only problem with the PS3 one is that load times can be long.

That sounds good, I don't mind long load times. I liked the concept of the game, but the PSP version is really hard to play. I only just got the PS3 a little over a year ago, so I'm still looking for various games to get for it. Already grabbed stuff like the Uncharted games, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, various fighting games, etc. I have this thing about stockpiling first-party games is all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

It's also the least fun way to play the game. Wiping out every enemy in your path gets you about the same point reward as a fast completion, anyway, and is so much more enjoyable.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Haven't been here before - I wanted to know, is this the place for PS4 speculation, or does that have its own thread?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Haven't been here before - I wanted to know, is this the place for PS4 speculation, or does that have its own thread?

There's nothing to talk about right now on that front. All you're going to see is people throwing out a wishlist of features.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There's nothing to talk about right now on that front. All you're going to see is people throwing out a wishlist of features.

That's pretty much what I was referring to. I had an idea regarding the chances of the PS4 having HD-Collection next-gen equivalents, and wanted to hear the thought of others. But if everyone wants to keep the thread on just hard PS3 discussion, then that's ok.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want more useful XMB features and for the XMB to be faster. Party voice chat like Xbox Live would be really nice. I hope the PS4 has PS2 backwards compatibility, and it goes without saying, PS3 compatibility would be nice too.

Otherwise I can't think of much else. I hope every game can be in 1080p this time, but I think that'll be a given. I can see the PS4 having at least 2gb of ram for everything and that should be more than enough.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I just want more useful XMB features and for the XMB to be faster. Party voice chat like Xbox Live would be really nice. I hope the PS4 has PS2 backwards compatibility, and it goes without saying, PS3 compatibility would be nice too.

Otherwise I can't think of much else. I hope every game can be in 1080p this time, but I think that'll be a given. I can see the PS4 having at least 2gb of ram for everything and that should be more than enough.

Yeah, I think all this is pretty much guaranteed, except MAYBE the BC given past action on that front. I'm sure 1080p will be the minimum - hell, we'll probably see games running in 1440p/2160p more often than not. And I hope Sony gives the thing a BDXL drive.

My theory was that we might see the PS4's version of HD Collections applied to PS3 classics - like an Uncharted Collection with all 3 games on a 128GB BDXL disc, running in native 1080p/1440p at 60fps. I wonder what the chances are of that, given the succes of stuff like the God of War/Metal Gear Solid Collections?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I think all this is pretty much guaranteed, except MAYBE the BC given past action on that front. I'm sure 1080p will be the minimum - hell, we'll probably see games running in 1440p/2160p more often than not.

Even if that were possible, what would be the point when TV's aren't at those resolutions? 720p isn't even the minimum for some of the biggest games in this gen, so don't get your hopes up. I'd be happy with smooth 60 fps, no screen tearing, great AA, motion blur when it's appropriate, and consistent 720-1080p.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want whatever game I am playing characters and setting to be in my living room and I verbally tell them what to do. You think the PS4 will handle this even though most people's living rooms won't be big enough?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

the truth posted:

Even if that were possible, what would be the point when TV's aren't at those resolutions? 720p isn't even the minimum for some of the biggest games in this gen, so don't get your hopes up. I'd be happy with smooth 60 fps, no screen tearing, great AA, motion blur when it's appropriate, and consistent 720-1080p.

Well, 2160p TVs might start coming out in a couple of years, and I think Sony would want to jump on that ASAP, like they did with 1080p for the PS3 (of course, since most PS3 games run at 720p, that situation would likely result in PS3 games doing 'only' 1440p.

Of course, maybe the minimum resolution will be kept at 1080p to avoid making people buy 2160p TVs, and the spare horsepower will be used by making native-1080p 3D mandatory for every title? I do agree though - 1080p is a perfectly fine resolution, and I'd rather see the PS4's graphical power go towards better models/textures/draw-distance than bigger resolutions.

edit: Oh, and I want them to release the PS Eye's sucessor, which will trump the Kinect, as well as make the Move even more accurate.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 18, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There's a PS3 General Chat probably more appropriate (if any) for PS4 chat.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

There's a PS3 General Chat probably more appropriate (if any) for PS4 chat.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Back in 2009 I let Demon's Souls beat me. I was stuck on Maneater for weeks and after getting past them I got stuck on 5-2 and ended up selling the game while it was still worth what I bought it for. I'm happy to announce that in 2011 I have repurchased and completed Demon's Souls. The whole process was much much easier this go around. What I'm getting at is: It's time for motherfuckin Dark Souls. :black101:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BreakAtmo posted:

Of course, maybe the minimum resolution will be kept at 1080p to avoid making people buy 2160p TVs, and the spare horsepower will be used by making native-1080p 3D mandatory for every title?

I think most TV's can only do 720p 3D for gaming because the 3D only goes to 24HZ in 1080p mode and that looks like poo poo for games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Jolo posted:

Back in 2009 I let Demon's Souls beat me. I was stuck on Maneater for weeks and after getting past them I got stuck on 5-2 and ended up selling the game while it was still worth what I bought it for. I'm happy to announce that in 2011 I have repurchased and completed Demon's Souls. The whole process was much much easier this go around. What I'm getting at is: It's time for motherfuckin Dark Souls. :black101:

5-2 made me quit the game for a few months.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Biodome posted:

I think most TV's can only do 720p 3D for gaming because the 3D only goes to 24HZ in 1080p mode and that looks like poo poo for games.

Are you sure? Hm. Maybe that will be improved in future 3DTVs - I know computer monitors have to be about to able to go with the 1080p/60fps 3D that high-end rigs can pull off.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BreakAtmo posted:

Are you sure? Hm. Maybe that will be improved in future 3DTVs - I know computer monitors have to be about to able to go with the 1080p/60fps 3D that high-end rigs can pull off.

Well, that's how mine is and I have one of the better ones. Something to do with the hdmi spec or some poo poo. By the time the PS4 is out they will probably be capable of 1080p/60 for games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Party voice chat like Xbox Live would be really nice.

Well, you're guaranteed to get this. It's part of PlayStation Vita's "PSN 2.0" thing so it'll probably be in whatever PS4 has.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
Anyone here play the Tomb Raider games? I love 1 and 2 when I was younger and I just saw the trailer for the new one where you pretty much just have to survive.

Think it looks good, but not if the games have gone downhill since 1 and 2.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PS3 account deactivation online is now possible! Here are the instructions on how to do it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Oh sure. But like Dominic said, it's far more fun to lay waste to all who oppose the Gallian Militia :black101:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

PS3 account deactivation online is now possible! Here are the instructions on how to do it.

Thank you so much for this. I was sitting on 8 activations somehow (probably PS3/PSP combined) and it was such a huge load off my chest to get them all cleared.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Assassins creed R turkish armor add-on; LTB8-GDN9-FT4M

I got it for free from gamespot and their ace combat "patriot" f-16c dlc giveaway. I clearly got the wrong code as I cannot stay fly an Enzio.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A game I would recommend to anyone who likes third person action is Dead Space 2. After DS1, I literally played DS2 from beginning to end in one sitting - found it so intenseley engaging, and such a vast improvement over the first. It handles very well and has alot of nice improvements (more vividly colouful, the main character is fully voiced, increased weapon variety).

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Anyone here play the Tomb Raider games? I love 1 and 2 when I was younger and I just saw the trailer for the new one where you pretty much just have to survive.

Think it looks good, but not if the games have gone downhill since 1 and 2.

Since Crystal Dynamics took over the games have all been good. Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld are all well worth playing, the gameplay and controls are obviously well improved since the earlier games. Guardian of light is also a fun take on the series with great puzzles and fun co-op play. I think the new one looks like it could be really good also, I like the idea of having a whole island to explore.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Renegade Ops would almost be a fun game if it wasn't so drat infuriating. Hour-long levels, arbitrary strict time limits, and no checkpointing whatsoever add up to a bunch of bullshit.

Thanks for making me waste an hour by deciding that I didn't blow up some stupid building fast enough, game! Guess what? I am never playing you again! Go to hell!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

...! posted:

Renegade Ops would almost be a fun game if it wasn't so drat infuriating. Hour-long levels, arbitrary strict time limits, and no checkpointing whatsoever add up to a bunch of bullshit.

Thanks for making me waste an hour by deciding that I didn't blow up some stupid building fast enough, game! Guess what? I am never playing you again! Go to hell!

Does this mean you won't co-op it with me?

(Sorry I haven't been around for Portal 2, I have been away from home for a week)

Also we should get the old Buzz crew back together at least one more time!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Scyron posted:

Assassins creed R turkish armor add-on; LTB8-GDN9-FT4M

I got it for free from gamespot and their ace combat "patriot" f-16c dlc giveaway. I clearly got the wrong code as I cannot stay fly an Enzio.

Someone got it already.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheMostFrench posted:

A game I would recommend to anyone who likes third person action is Dead Space 2. After DS1, I literally played DS2 from beginning to end in one sitting - found it so intenseley engaging, and such a vast improvement over the first. It handles very well and has alot of nice improvements (more vividly colouful, the main character is fully voiced, increased weapon variety).

I put down DS2 for months after getting stuck on a section with the Stalkers (or whatever you call those things that scream loudly and charge at you full speed), then finally picked it back up to finish it a few months ago. When I beat it, I immediately started it back up on NG+ again. It's a crazy fun experience! I know some people weren't happy with Isaac talking, but I thought it made me connect more with the character, not less.

NG+ is also great because you have a lot more freedom to mix and match weapons. I never knew the force gun was so loving great because I was saving all my upgrades for other weapons.

Very much looking forward to 3, I just hope they make the environments even more varied. I liked the urban areas, but clearing bugs out of mines and caves is pretty boring.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Someone got it already.

Whoops, sorry. I think I got it, but it didn't download anything so I didn't post.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Well that's one step better then when they just make up obviously false poo poo out based on nothing just to get views. Honestly, would anyone care if all of gaming journalism just disappeared? I guess Rock, Paper, Shotgun can stay around. They're cool.

Well, I would as it's my job and I'd be utterly penniless. I really wish people would stop it with the "hurr, games journalism :smug:" thing. Blogs are not journalism -- hell, most of what's out there isn't journalism. The closest you'll get to "traditional" journalism comes from places like Gamasutra, which would be a huge loss to the industry if it disappeared.

Stop equating something Kotaku pulls out of their rear end with anything even close to journalism. It's not. It's hit mongering and re-posting of other people's stuff. Same with all the other blogs out there.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
By the way, a counterpoint to the Skyrim haters: I'm 40 hours in and only one freeze so far. I've seen a few small physics bugs like the spellbook that kept hopping an inch off the table and slamming down.

My PS3 froze 20 times in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and actually died permanently while playing New Vegas (I looked into the laser-from-the-sky and the game hung and stopped reading forever.)

So maybe I've just been lucky with Skyrim on PS3, but it seems better. And it's definitely loads of fun. The menu systems and combat could use SOME improvement, but the world is huge and I'd rather have less detailed textures and more content in this game than vice-versa.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

MrBuddyLee posted:

By the way, a counterpoint to the Skyrim haters: I'm 40 hours in and only one freeze so far. I've seen a few small physics bugs like the spellbook that kept hopping an inch off the table and slamming down.

My PS3 froze 20 times in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and actually died permanently while playing New Vegas (I looked into the laser-from-the-sky and the game hung and stopped reading forever.)

So maybe I've just been lucky with Skyrim on PS3, but it seems better. And it's definitely loads of fun. The menu systems and combat could use SOME improvement, but the world is huge and I'd rather have less detailed textures and more content in this game than vice-versa.

That's not a counterpoint to the main problem I've heard, which is that the game is nice-looking hiking simulator (plus some combat thrown in as an afterthought).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cobalt60 posted:

That's not a counterpoint to the main problem I've heard, which is that the game is nice-looking hiking simulator (plus some combat thrown in as an afterthought).

Skyrim is pretty much similar to all the other games in the Elder Scrolls series. Its not a combat focused game rather its an exploration focused game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One of these days when Skyrim is really cheap and I have a lot of free time, I'll be checking it out, but I don't see myself playing it before that.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
So which goon worked on the Phineas and Ferb game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

SamBishop posted:

Well, I would as it's my job and I'd be utterly penniless. I really wish people would stop it with the "hurr, games journalism :smug:" thing. Blogs are not journalism -- hell, most of what's out there isn't journalism. The closest you'll get to "traditional" journalism comes from places like Gamasutra, which would be a huge loss to the industry if it disappeared.

Stop equating something Kotaku pulls out of their rear end with anything even close to journalism. It's not. It's hit mongering and re-posting of other people's stuff. Same with all the other blogs out there.

Sorry Sam, but you can't just brush the problem off by claiming all bad journalism suddenly doesn't count as journalism anymore. That attitude is just as :smug:, and also demonstrates you are having some serious denial about the state of your field in this industry. Every professional field has low quality practitioners, but those members are still part of the profession (much to the dismay of their colleagues). Kotaku has it's own writers/reporters that investigate, report on events in the gaming industry, and would definitely consider their website gaming "journalism", no matter how bad a name they are giving the profession.

I do want to apologize for my statement, because I didn't mean to offend you. Unfortunately gaming journalism is such a small field, and the majority of it is flooded with poor quality stuff, that it becomes easy to make sweeping statements about the field in general. I was exaggerating with my statement and I don't actually wish all of gaming journalism disappears, since there is some great stuff out there if you look for it, but I won't lie when I say I wish 80% of it did.

• Locked thread