Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
edit: Nevermind! The link I was shown turns out to have been half a year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

And the Fallout 3/New Vegas games have an eye patch so it is only a matter of time before Cohen is complete.

This pleases me greatly. I've only read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic so far, but Cohen is pretty much one of my favorites already.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snoop Rocket posted:

This pleases me greatly. I've only read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic so far, but Cohen is pretty much one of my favorites already.
Cohen also shows up in Interesting Times and The Last Hero. He definitely gets one of the best character arcs of any of Pratchett's recurring characters, so I would recommend reading those two next. Plus Last Hero has some absolutely beautiful Paul Kidby illustration.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cohen also shows up in Interesting Times and The Last Hero. He definitely gets one of the best character arcs of any of Pratchett's recurring characters, so I would recommend reading those two next. Plus Last Hero has some absolutely beautiful Paul Kidby illustration.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be picking them up tomorrow as I'm almost done with TLF.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not to mention Troll Bridge

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm not sure why people are confused about who/what Stinky is.

He's the Evil Goblin from the storybook. The one mentioned in I shall wear midnight and again in the latest book. Stinky pretty much tells Vimes this near the end. Something like "Naughty boy sees evil goblin, evil goblin sees naughty boy - just as well we both right". He's a minor supernatural being because of all the fear and belief from all those children across the disc.

Of course he might also be some sort of goblin mythical figure, but if he is, he's also the goblin from the book.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stinky knows about the whole Vimes + Summoning Dark thing - first time he's encountered, he paws at Vimes' tattooed wrist clamouring for "just ice", and I think the Dark mentions something about it not just being dwarves that have connections to that sort of entity.

Sure, he knows about the storybook thing, but that doesn't mean that he's just the dude from the book come to life, as why the hell would something conjured out of the minds of unimaginative scared kids have ties to stuff like the Dark? I reckon he's some sort of generic amalgamated supernatural "spirit of goblin" thing that's in the book so that gobbos don't just have unggue as their one characteristic.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Penguingo posted:

Stinky knows about the whole Vimes + Summoning Dark thing - first time he's encountered, he paws at Vimes' tattooed wrist clamouring for "just ice", and I think the Dark mentions something about it not just being dwarves that have connections to that sort of entity.

Sure, he knows about the storybook thing, but that doesn't mean that he's just the dude from the book come to life, as why the hell would something conjured out of the minds of unimaginative scared kids have ties to stuff like the Dark? I reckon he's some sort of generic amalgamated supernatural "spirit of goblin" thing that's in the book so that gobbos don't just have unggue as their one characteristic.

The Summoning Dark is pretty much the coalesced fears of the dwarves, isn't it? An ancient entity that to them represents the inevitable vengeance of the betrayed? If Stinky is an entity created by fear, why wouldn't he have links to the Summoning Dark?

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

AlphaDog posted:

The Summoning Dark is pretty much the coalesced fears of the dwarves, isn't it? An ancient entity that to them represents the inevitable vengeance of the betrayed? If Stinky is an entity created by fear, why wouldn't he have links to the Summoning Dark?

I'd see it more as The Summoning Dark being the anger of the dying dwarf who draws it's sign, so Stinky might represent the anger that even the most sniveling goblin feels deep inside.

to change the subject for a while, I know there's the sort-of plans for a watch tv-series and there's the movies, but is there any chance of a Witches movie? I mean Germaine Greer ain't getting any younger so the True Nanny Ogg might pass away before they film it and that would be a true tragedy!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Road Crew posted:

to change the subject for a while, I know there's the sort-of plans for a watch tv-series and there's the movies, but is there any chance of a Witches movie? I mean Germaine Greer ain't getting any younger so the True Nanny Ogg might pass away before they film it and that would be a true tragedy!

I bet some people have approached him and been like "We love Wyrd Sisters Terry, I can call you Terry can't I? We'd be interested in making a movie out of it, one small change though. Instead of being about two old women and one young woman can it be about a 20 something male, a comedy bumbling sidekick and 1 young attractive witch instead.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A Watch TV series? Like an AM police procedural? I would watch the hell out of that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was looking at the new board game on Amazon last night, looks like fun but I am poor and don't have enough nerdy friends for it :(.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Board game? Please tell me of Thud.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Board game? Please tell me of Thud.

Thud is already a boardgame; I have it in my closet, though I've never actually had a chance to play it. Unless I completely misunderstood your post.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Thud is already a boardgame; I have it in my closet, though I've never actually had a chance to play it. Unless I completely misunderstood your post.

Find a fellow goon with Thud, play through mail/e-mail old school style.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Find a fellow goon with Thud, play through mail/e-mail old school style.

Play through semaphore relay like Vetinari and Margolotta.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's also a new boardgame by Martin Wallace.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Thats the one, I need money and friends. And friends who like Discworld argh!

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Hello newest item on my Xmas list!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's also a Guards Guards based one, the Ankh Morpork one is supposed to be better though.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

There's also a Guards Guards based one, the Ankh Morpork one is supposed to be better though.

Guards! Guards!

I own it, but the long play-time and resemblance to Talisman have scared my group away from trying it out.

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, on the other hand, takes about an hour and is getting played at least once a week. I'm very happy with it; it rewards sneaky devious play and the occasional random events are strong without being overwhelming.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

My wife bought me this from the place where we play MTG (for Christmas) a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to try it.

Edit - Those sentences were terrible and I apologize.

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008

The Road Crew posted:

I mean Germaine Greer ain't getting any younger so the True Nanny Ogg might pass away before they film it and that would be a true tragedy!

Hah, look at you being completely wrong. They are clearly holding off on the witches until such time as this pair has aged sufficiently:

And it will be perfect.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Hogblob posted:

Hah, look at you being completely wrong. They are clearly holding off on the witches until such time as this pair has aged sufficiently:

And it will be perfect.

Holy gently caress would that ever own.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hogblob posted:

And it will be perfect.

Somebody overdid the photoshop on that picture, Jennifer Saunders looks like an Auton.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Question for anyone who's bought http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HlOEBm9hZF6qb0g

(The Discworld Mapp).

Is that a book, or is it an actual map you could frame and put on your wall? Same question for "The Streets of Ankh-Morpork."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Question for anyone who's bought http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HlOEBm9hZF6qb0g

(The Discworld Mapp).

Is that a book, or is it an actual map you could frame and put on your wall? Same question for "The Streets of Ankh-Morpork."

It's a fold-out leaflety thing. It was really easy to just take off the cardboard covers and paste it to the wall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AXE COP posted:

It's a fold-out leaflety thing. It was really easy to just take off the cardboard covers and paste it to the wall.

Awesome. Do you have to damage or tear it out of the book in any way to hang it up? I was thinking about trying to find a signed one.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 3, 2011

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I thought Pratchett was (in his one mind-boggling attitude) deadset against a discworld map? "You can't map an imagination" or some such. Wonder how much it cost to do just that.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Also, that map is the grooooviest thing while you're under the influence of certain absolutely legal prescription medications.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

420 look at cartography every day

Are Ephebe and Tsort on that map? I can't find them, or Djelibebi. I can see the Tsort River just south of the Circle Sea, but not the actual countries.

Also it's pretty cool that a map published in 1995 includes the paddleboats from Snuff. I thought they'd been introduced for that book, but they were obviously mentioned in a previous one.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Penguingo posted:

420 look at cartography every day

Are Ephebe and Tsort on that map? I can't find them, or Djelibebi. I can see the Tsort River just south of the Circle Sea, but not the actual countries.

Also it's pretty cool that a map published in 1995 includes the paddleboats from Snuff. I thought they'd been introduced for that book, but they were obviously mentioned in a previous one.

Yes they're all on there, Terry talks about how in the original drafts things like weather wouldn't have worked properly so it has 'some' proper cartography as well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The busiest areas of the map have locations numbered, so you need to look at the legend to figure out which is which.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

LooseChanj posted:

I thought Pratchett was (in his one mind-boggling attitude) deadset against a discworld map? "You can't map an imagination" or some such. Wonder how much it cost to do just that.

I read something he wrote (for something including a map of Ankh-Morpork) about how he used to be against mapping things, and then found that mapping Ankh-Morpork in particular helped him in his writing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I read something he wrote (for something including a map of Ankh-Morpork) about how he used to be against mapping things, and then found that mapping Ankh-Morpork in particular helped him in his writing.

It's just a matter "still a lot of white space to fill in, don't want to tie myself down to anything" versus "man, I came up with a lot of stuff, I am starting to get confused, need to draw a map or something!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's very much the case, and he's admitted as such more than once, that by a point he needed help to make sure Carrot could see the top of the Watch House and the Patrician's Palace in a perfect line if viewed from the roof of the Opera House. Complications like that just kept piling up and and up he said sod it, and so the Streets of Ankh-Morpork and Dicworld Mappe were intelligently designed.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
There's also a mappe of Death's Domain, though it's more of a picture.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
So i stumbled upon the first five discworld novels in a used book store and I said why not. I only heard good things about it and I was out of fantasy to read. Should I read them in a special order or stick to published date?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The first three books in the series are different in tone from the rest of them and, in opinion of a lot of people including me, aren't all that great. I'd suggest Going Postal, Small Gods or Guards, Guards as the first book to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If you've got Small Gods or access to it (library or something?), read that first, just because it's awesome. Otherwise, going in published order is a pretty good idea, but you might want to skip one or more of Equal Rites, Sourcery, and Eric. If you don't like the first two, definitely skip those three. Pyramids is also arguably skippable, but different in tone from those first few.

Now, look at the remaining two-dozen-odd books that I haven't called "skippable" - those are your reading material for the foreseeable future, and they are all incredibly good. You're in for a great ride.

edit: Also, there are "guides" for what books to read before other books, but published order takes care of that nicely (also puts them in more-or-less chronological order, story-wise, with a couple exceptions). And there are a lot of running gags and things that will build up steam best if you just read in published order.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 7, 2011