Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

VanSandman posted:

Tom you seem to have trouble with the idea that people want to hurl money at you.

There's humble and then there's humble and then there's Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dodgeball posted:

There's humble and then there's humble and then there's Tom.

He's too humble to be in a category by himself, don't make trouble.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
A 'krigga hate on he own self, a shameful 'krigga.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 18, 2011

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Jeeze, Parley, between you and ms. Steelface there just ain't no respect for swordfighting tradition.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
We all knew this day would come...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And here comes bipfighting.

Shadow-2 looks impressed.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
We knew it was coming, but it was well done. And yeah, Shadow 2 looks surprised in that last panel. It's impressive that Tom can make a black shadow with empty white circles for eyes emote so well.

Tom if you do have any canvases left after the show, please do put them up on ebay or something. Please make sure to post on your site/twitter to let everyone know if you do. If there are any of the Coyote ones available at that point, I will bid so hard.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww yeah, teleport fencing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wow, that Zimmy and Gamma canvas is awesome. Makes me glad I'm being forced to turn up to TB UNGODLY early (we're giving lifts to another exhibitor so they have to arrive well before opening).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tea-san posted:

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished, so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

If I could ever get the time I'd love to offer ink wash and watercolour commissions along with the old $20 custom drawing also.

Yes please. Take my money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no, time for a visit to robot hospital. :ohdear:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Good call on the teleport swordfighting!

(Don't want to nitpick but Tom should really have made it clearer whether Parley's just telefragged Robot or not.)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fangz posted:

(Don't want to nitpick but Tom should really have made it clearer whether Parley's just telefragged Robot or not.)

The sudden reversal of their positions and the "Bip" weren't enough?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

The sudden reversal of their positions and the "Bip" weren't enough?

Telefragging is when someone teleports inside someone, killing them instantly. He's wondering if she materialized with the sword inside robot (I sure hope not).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why are you all expecting someone to die here

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
I have been looking forward to this panel for some time now and it's wonderfully executed.

Fangz posted:

Do you also need us to tell you who is Eglamore?

Also I would have figured that if she'd teleported her sword inside Robot, we would've seen a pain pose from him or something to indicate that something really bad had just happened.

spooky attic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 18, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

There is no reason to think that something bad will happen here. I mean this is Gunnerkrigg Court, not some horribly depressing dark comedy or whatever.

The sword is behind him. It might be pressed against his metal frame, which could almost be dangerous! But probably isn't because he's a robot and has already survived one body being completely destroyed and rendered into paperclips.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
She is tapping him in the side to score a point. They are sparring. You don't usually try and kill your opponent in sparring matches.

It is frowned upon.

:mad:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, we know Parley doesn't have good control over her power, it's not impossible.

Just saying that the final panel would work better from a different angle or with, say, a clang sound effect to indicate the sword hitting the side of robot. We shouldn't have to guess at the artist's intention.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Yes please. Take my money.

Yes, agreed. That City Face one especially is brilliant. I love City Face! All pigeons are City Face to me now.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fangz posted:

Well, we know Parley doesn't have good control over her power, it's not impossible.

Just saying that the final panel would work better from a different angle or with, say, a clang sound effect to indicate the sword hitting the side of robot. We shouldn't have to guess at the artist's intention.

At the same time, the artist shouldn't have to hand-deliver every single detail. You know Parley teleported to the other side of Robot and hit him with the sword, what else do you need?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fangz posted:

Just saying that the final panel would work better from a different angle or with, say, a clang sound effect to indicate the sword hitting the side of robot.

The clang is drowned out by the BIP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

At the same time, the artist shouldn't have to hand-deliver every single detail. You know Parley teleported to the other side of Robot and hit him with the sword, what else do you need?

I don't want to make a big deal of something that is a nitpick. But...

Look at the position of Parley's feet. These put her in front of Robot relative to us. Meanwhile, the point of the sword is behind Robot. She's holding the sword straight, and there's no indication that the blade is tilted in any way sufficient to get at Robot without going through him. The most obvious reading of the scene is that Parley's just impaled Robot with her sword. Now that I look at it, Tom's made some effort to foreshorten the sword a bit, but if so then it'd be too long. It's the final panel of the page, Robot's foot is still off the ground, so there's no time for him to give a pain pose, so there isn't a strong reason to infer anything from the absence of one.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 18, 2011

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Fangz posted:

I don't want to make a big deal of something that is a nitpick. But...

Look at the position of Parley's feet. These put her in front of Robot relative to us. Meanwhile, the point of the sword is behind Robot. She's holding the sword straight, and there's no indication that the blade is tilted in any way sufficient to get at Robot without going through him. The most obvious reading of the scene is that Parley's just impaled Robot with her sword. Now that I look at it, Tom's made some effort to foreshorten the sword a bit, but if so then it'd be too long. It's the final panel of the page, Robot's foot is still off the ground, so there's no time for him to give a pain pose, so there isn't a strong reason to infer anything from the absence of one.

Unless she bip'd the sword inside Robot, that looks like a pretty awkward post-stabbing pose. The sword's long enough that she'd have to start pretty far away form anything to impale it, but Robot hasn't really moved. I'm finding it much easier to read as a swing than a stab.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 18, 2011

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The sword is angled away from the camera. That man is Eglamore. Jones is not a robot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JackGeneric posted:

Unless she bip'd the sword inside Robot, that looks like a pretty awkward post-stabbing pose. The sword's long enough that she'd have to start pretty far away form anything to impale it, but Robot hasn't really moved. I'm finding it much easier to read as a swing than a stab.

Bipping the sword inside Robot is exactly what I meant by the 'telefrag' comment.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In the panel preceding the last one, she is holding her sword upright, in the last panel she has swept it down and to her left. Down and to the left.

The second bip came from the grassy knoll.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
This discussion is starting to sound like an episode of Match Game.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
She bipped to robot's side and is smacking his back with the flat of the blade as he lunges. This will shove him off balance. Her upper body is twisting as she smacks him.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This discussion is starting to sound like an episode of Match Game.

I fear that only you and I will get this joke, Fronzel, which is a drat shame because it's brilliant.

Anyway, if there was telefragging going on, I think it would be a lot more explicit with burst lines and cogs flying and probably a different camera angle and Kat holding her face and saying "Oh! She telefragged my robot chassis, which I made to copy Jones but for some reason everyone thinks it looks like Eglamore" while Annie plays a sad trombone (which is really Mort).

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Goddamn people, look at Parley's pose in the last two panels. Her legs haven't changed position at all, except to rotate into her swing a bit. She's cutting from her top right down to her mid left. She just happens to teleport midway, making the cut end in the small of Robot's unprotected back. Besides, for all we know, she can't teleport inside things, and there's no good reason to stick that much of your sword inside someone where it can/will get stuck.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
Okay, let's watch the replay. Smitty is turning here now, panel 238, the fourth bip. It misses Robot and takes Smitty in the back. This is the shot that proves there were two teleporters. Smitty yells out "My God! They are going to kill us all." Somewhere around this time another bip that misses the hall completely, strikes James Eglamore down by the underpass. The robot brakes. The sixth and fatal bip, panel 313 takes Robot in the head from the front. This is the key bip. The robot going back and to his left. Bipped from the front and right. Totally inconstant with the bip from the Friday comic. So what happens then? Pandemonium.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nipponophile posted:

The clang is drowned out by the BIP.

The clang is drowned out by Smitface going "BAM."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mirage posted:

I fear that only you and I will get this joke, Fronzel, which is a drat shame because it's brilliant.

Oldschool forums sig digression in progress (March is Games Month), please stay calm:

Ok, back to the keen and scientific analysis of telefragging. Robot clearly has a lower ping than Smitly and the only reason why he's still around is because Jones is emotionally unable to rage-ban.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Tom sold all of his paintings save one in a matter of hours, surprising absolutely nobody.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Tom sold all of his paintings save one in a matter of hours, surprising absolutely nobody*.

*Except Tom.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nobody bought the Zimmy one? How surprising :v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Nobody bought the Zimmy one? How surprising :v:
His tumblr said it was a tall Coyote one.

https://twitter.com/#!/gunnerkrigg/status/137897510403444737

For reference, he posted that this was what the table looked like when he started. I especially like the City Face price signs. :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wait, is the one that didn't sell that one on the left edge under Annie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I especially like the City Face price signs.

Heh, nice detail. Man, wish I could have been there.