Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really frustrating to see a bunch of rear end in a top hat pricks like Kotaku come along and become so popular. While people like SamBishop have been doing this writing about gaming thing for longer then every single staff member at Kotaku has, combined, and only has a tiny, unknown website to show for it. It really shows the issues with gaming journalism; if you're not writing about Halo being better than Call of Duty, or boobies, then your site won't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The problem with games journalism is that it soley covers a particular commercial field, and as such games journalists are particularly vulnerable to the commercial interest they are covering. If a certain games site says things about a game that a distributor doesn't like that distributor can withold review copies and so forth of games to that game site and directly impact their business.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kotaku's "journalists" probably didn't go to school for it, so we can still write them off.

And if they did, what a waste of schooling.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 18, 2011

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

MrBuddyLee posted:

By the way, a counterpoint to the Skyrim haters: I'm 40 hours in and only one freeze so far. I've seen a few small physics bugs like the spellbook that kept hopping an inch off the table and slamming down.

My PS3 froze 20 times in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and actually died permanently while playing New Vegas (I looked into the laser-from-the-sky and the game hung and stopped reading forever.)

So maybe I've just been lucky with Skyrim on PS3, but it seems better. And it's definitely loads of fun. The menu systems and combat could use SOME improvement, but the world is huge and I'd rather have less detailed textures and more content in this game than vice-versa.

How big is your save file? Have you been getting lag spikes?

This is important to me, as both Fallout games on the PS3 have been... problematic for me, but my computer will barely run Skyrim and I'd really like to play it on my comfy couch with my HDTV. :ohdear:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Kotaku:

Wait, what?

:what:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm never really sure what Kotaku is trying to be. Are they a blog that reprints Japanese game news articles, or an all purpose game website, or what?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Millions posted:

:what:

This is how Bethesda gets away with constantly releasing buggy games that become literally unplayable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm never really sure what Kotaku is trying to be. Are they a blog that reprints Japanese game news articles, or an all purpose game website, or what?

They're a pile of poo poo trying to get free games.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

MUFFlNS posted:

This is how Bethesda gets away with constantly releasing buggy games that become literally unplayable.

Oh come on.

I hated Oblivion more than anyone alive but you just cannot make games this big and open that don't have a billion bugs and glitches.

There will never be huge open ended games that don't have LOTS OF BUGS. I feel really sorry you for if you buy these games and are just shocked every time you run into a glitch or a bug.

Think for 2 minutes of all the poo poo you could do in the game that they have to program around.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

40 OZ posted:

There will never be huge open ended games that don't have LOTS OF BUGS.

All the more reason why said games getting perfect rating scores from sites despite all the bugs is even more retarded, and Bethesda is never even going to bother to try to get rid of bugs pre-release if half of their fanbase is sucking the game's dick before the game even comes out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's Brian Ashcraft's blog about how much he loves to check out Japanese high school girls, Japanese idols, Japanese cosplayers, and anime figurines. Everything else just happens to maybe be about games sometimes maybe.

And sometimes it's Tim Roger's blog where he writes 5,000,000-word essays about bullshit, possibly relating to Japan.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 18, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morpheus posted:

They're a pile of poo poo trying to get free games.

Isn't that literally why Destructoid was created? Or was that for free E3 passes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Isn't that literally why Destructoid was created? Or was that for free E3 passes?

The latter is what I have heard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'll gladly drive to Maryland and start gobbling all the knobs in sight if it gets me more games like Skyrim.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

40 OZ posted:

There will never be huge open ended games that don't have LOTS OF BUGS. I feel really sorry you for if you buy these games and are just shocked every time you run into a glitch or a bug.

I hear this quite a lot and I've never really understood it. The stuff you do in Bethesda games all takes place in a big world, yeah, but what you're actually doing never seems all that complicated in a technical sense. You talk to a person, they give you a quest, then you go hit stuff with swords/magic. I don't understand why Bethesda get a free pass when they release a glitchy product just because the world's pretty big, when there are loads of games doing much more complicated stuff bug-free.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Red Dead Redemption is a great example of that: it's huge, and I've never had it lock up my console or even seen the bugs everyone talks about for it. It's always been flawless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ein Bear posted:

I hear this quite a lot and I've never really understood it. The stuff you do in Bethesda games all takes place in a big world, yeah, but what you're actually doing never seems all that complicated in a technical sense. You talk to a person, they give you a quest, then you go hit stuff with swords/magic. I don't understand why Bethesda get a free pass when they release a glitchy product just because the world's pretty big, when there are loads of games doing much more complicated stuff bug-free.
They tried to make a world where all the NPCs know what the current status of the world is and react accordingly. It obviously is full of flaws (often hilarious flaws which I think are part of its charm) but its better than not trying anything at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Why does that excuse random game crashes or randomly falling through geometry?

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

They tried to make a world where all the NPCs know what the current status of the world is and react accordingly. It obviously is full of flaws (often hilarious flaws which I think are part of its charm) but its better than not trying anything at all.

I'm not really sure what that means? I've seen an NPC can switch from 'friendly' to 'hostile' if I've done something to piss them off, or say a piece of dialog related to a quest I've done recently, but I'm not really seeing what's so difficult about that, technically?

Besides, I really don't think Bethesda deserve 10/10 and GOTY for trying. There's a strange attitude in general in gaming, where if a developer does something that's perceive as being 'hard', then they get a pass if they fail at it. I was playing locked 60fps games with no crashes last generation, and yet you can release something on today's hardware which stutters all the time and is riddled with crashes and get a pass if you've got an impressive fire effect in there or something. Developers are professionals, asking for your money for their product. They should stand back and look at what they are capable of achieving, not have a bash at something they can't do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why does that excuse random game crashes or randomly falling through geometry?
No no, I meant just NPC bugs, not all bugs. Getting stuck in terrain and stuff definitely isn't part of the game's charm.

Really the reason I am okay with Bethesda's bugs is because there are so few open world RPGs like this to choose from. Because making them is really hard.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Ein Bear posted:

You truly dont understand how much work it takes to make something like this do you? The sheer manhours it takes to design an open world game's environment alone is staggering, not to mention build a game into that environment and vice versa.

It takes thousands of man hours by hundreds of people, and millions of dollars, and a huge risk taken on the part of the developers and publishers. The more manpower you put behind a game, means the more money you put behind it. The more money put behind it the bigger the risk. Games like this dont have an unlimited amount of money or man power, and for something on the scale of skyrim there just isnt enough of either to go around to perfect it. There isnt enough money to pay enough testers, to have enough programmers and designers on staff with enough hours to address the myriad thousands of issues that pop up in a game like this.

Id also like to see which games are more complex than this. I can think of a scant few. Like Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV. You have everything from animation, to collision, to enviroment detail, to weather simulation, to physics, to object and npc location indexes, to game balancing, to i cant think of all the loving things that go into a game like this.

Why do people forgive its bugs and poo poo? Because there is so much sheer content and so much variety in what you can do and how you can approach things that there really is nothing like it. There are very few games that compare to it in scale, graphical fidelity ( on such a scale ), and the sheer amount of content.

Thats why people forgive its bugs.

I dont get how that equals sucking Bethesda's cock, when games like Modern Warfare 3 ( Which recieves the kind of blind "cock sucking" praise for what is essentially a MUCH MUCH simpler game ) are pumped out year by year with far fewer improvements or differences in how the game works.

TL:DR

Apparently to some people liking Skyrim despite its bugs = Sucking Bethesda's Cock. Yet Modern Warfare continues to get rave reviews and millions and millions of sales.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

vote_no posted:

Red Dead Redemption is a great example of that: it's huge, and I've never had it lock up my console or even seen the bugs everyone talks about for it. It's always been flawless.
RDR actually has HILARIOUS bugs. One of my favorites is when an animal behavior (pig, bird, etc) is given the wrong model (most often a human model), and it looks something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkJKsLDS58 (human pig)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY (bird people)

All games have bugs - the most common one is probably clipping, from mild (weapons in walls) to severe (falling through the floor into the infinite void of nothing). I would say that open-world games have a lot more going on within the game world, and there are a lot of scripting paths that need to happen depending on what you choose to do. And creating such a huge environment, it's very easy to miss holes in the game world and to not account for certain events occurring.

It does NOT excuse serious bugs, but I do understand why open world games have more of them. Something like the save file getting so big it freezes and crashes your game, though, that's just inexcusable and shoddy.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Talkc posted:

You truly dont understand how much work it takes to make something like this do you? The sheer manhours it takes to design an open world game's environment alone is staggering, not to mention build a game into that environment and vice versa.

It takes thousands of man hours by hundreds of people, and millions of dollars, and a huge risk taken on the part of the developers and publishers. The more manpower you put behind a game, means the more money you put behind it. The more money put behind it the bigger the risk. Games like this dont have an unlimited amount of money or man power, and for something on the scale of skyrim there just isnt enough of either to go around to perfect it. There isnt enough money to pay enough testers, to have enough programmers and designers on staff with enough hours to address the myriad thousands of issues that pop up in a game like this.

Id also like to see which games are more complex than this. I can think of a scant few. Like Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV. You have everything from animation, to collision, to enviroment detail, to weather simulation, to physics, to object and npc location indexes, to game balancing, to i cant think of all the loving things that go into a game like this.

Why do people forgive its bugs and poo poo? Because there is so much sheer content and so much variety in what you can do and how you can approach things that there really is nothing like it. There are very few games that compare to it in scale, graphical fidelity ( on such a scale ), and the sheer amount of content.

Thats why people forgive its bugs.

I dont get how that equals sucking Bethesda's cock, when games like Modern Warfare 3 ( Which recieves the kind of blind "cock sucking" praise for what is essentially a MUCH MUCH simpler game ) are pumped out year by year with far fewer improvements or differences in how the game works.

TL:DR

Apparently to some people liking Skyrim despite its bugs = Sucking Bethesda's Cock. Yet Modern Warfare continues to get rave reviews and millions and millions of sales.

Eh, I never said that liking Skyrim despite it's bugs was sucking Bethesda's cock. I've been plaing the game, and am enjoying it, but I don't think they should be getting all this massive critical praise and never getting called on the faults. Oblivion had similar problems, but got 10/10 reviews, won GOTY, and people were saying stuff like "Well it's a really big game so I guess it's bound to have bugs". Then the same thing happened with Fallout 3. And then again with New Vegas. Now with Skyrim coming out, it reaches the point where you start to wonder if it's a case of Bethesda being unable to release these things without so many technical flaws, or if they simply know they can get away with it since they'll be excused anyway. The actual engine running Skyrim is clearly based on similar code to that of Fallout and Oblivion, and the game itself isn't vastly different to those two either. By now you'd think they'd have a pretty good grasp on how to make these things, not releasing something which still has the exact same problems. The big save file = stutter thing is a great example, it was a recorded problem in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, and yet here it is again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Yodzilla posted:

I'll gladly drive to Maryland and start gobbling all the knobs in sight if it gets me more games like Skyrim.

TMI, dude.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

It does NOT excuse serious bugs, but I do understand why open world games have more of them. Something like the save file getting so big it freezes and crashes your game, though, that's just inexcusable and shoddy.

And that's why I'm waiting on buying Skyrim till that's confirmed fixed. I have no intention of playing a game that will eventually just start crashing and stuttering on me simply because of the size of the save file.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ein Bear posted:

Eh, I never said that liking Skyrim despite it's bugs was sucking Bethesda's cock. I've been plaing the game, and am enjoying it, but I don't think they should be getting all this massive critical praise and never getting called on the faults. Oblivion had similar problems, but got 10/10 reviews, won GOTY, and people were saying stuff like "Well it's a really big game so I guess it's bound to have bugs". Then the same thing happened with Fallout 3. And then again with New Vegas. Now with Skyrim coming out, it reaches the point where you start to wonder if it's a case of Bethesda being unable to release these things without so many technical flaws, or if they simply know they can get away with it since they'll be excused anyway. The actual engine running Skyrim is clearly based on similar code to that of Fallout and Oblivion, and the game itself isn't vastly different to those two either. By now you'd think they'd have a pretty good grasp on how to make these things, not releasing something which still has the exact same problems. The big save file = stutter thing is a great example, it was a recorded problem in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, and yet here it is again.
Yeah, I agree with you mostly, but you just picked up the argument of someone who literally did say we were sucking Bethesda's cock. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are still the best fantasy RPGs on the PS3 anyway.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I would say the perfect game would be mixing in Skyrim's environment with Armed Assaults gameplay. However mixing those two studios together would require a machine from 20 years in the future and years of patching.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Oh come on.

I hated Oblivion more than anyone alive but you just cannot make games this big and open that don't have a billion bugs and glitches.

Think for 2 minutes of all the poo poo you could do in the game that they have to program around.

Actually I can think of a few open world games that didn't have any major bugs at all. Infamous, Just Cause 2, GTA4, Red Dead Redemption etc, these games all played fine without any hitches. You might have a slight glitch in there somewhere but nothing that prohibits gameplay.

Skyrim though? I mean, did they even playtest it? The game locks up once the save file gets too big. That is inexcuseable and downright pathetic, especially when you take into account the fact that their previous games had the exact same problem. This isn't something you excuse with "Oh it's because it's a big game" at all, Bethesda are just incompetant and lazy.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

I said come in! posted:

It's really frustrating to see a bunch of rear end in a top hat pricks like Kotaku come along and become so popular. While people like SamBishop have been doing this writing about gaming thing for longer then every single staff member at Kotaku has, combined, and only has a tiny, unknown website to show for it. It really shows the issues with gaming journalism; if you're not writing about Halo being better than Call of Duty, or boobies, then your site won't go anywhere.

This isn't necessarily true. See Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They pretty much write about tons of obscure stuff. I'm not saying they are as well known as Kotaku, because they aren't, but they have a pretty decent fanbase; enough to at least maintain their website and write constantly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flayer posted:

The problem with games journalism is that it soley covers a particular commercial field, and as such games journalists are particularly vulnerable to the commercial interest they are covering. If a certain games site says things about a game that a distributor doesn't like that distributor can withold review copies and so forth of games to that game site and directly impact their business.

Jeff Gerstmann from Giantbomb recently stated that he'd be perfectly fine if developers cut them off from review copies. They'd be a little slower in their coverage but he thinks that being able to say that they have no contact with developers/publishers would be a good angle to have.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MUFFlNS posted:

Skyrim though? I mean, did they even playtest it? The game locks up once the save file gets too big. That is inexcuseable and downright pathetic, especially when you take into account the fact that their previous games had the exact same problem. This isn't something you excuse with "Oh it's because it's a big game" at all, Bethesda are just incompetant and lazy.

Yeah, this. You don't make a game, see a crippling bug, and say "Oh that's okay because it's a big game." You fix the loving bug. I work as a programmer, and my workplace has run into some big loving bugs before. And you know what we do? We fix them. We don't just shrug and say "Well it's okay because the system is really big so that's to be expected." That is retarded in every other industry except for the gaming industry because gamers, as a whole, are a bunch of blind idiots who would buy poo poo in a box if it had their favourite developer's name on it.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Sorry Sam, but you can't just brush the problem off by claiming all bad journalism suddenly doesn't count as journalism anymore. That attitude is just as :smug:, and also demonstrates you are having some serious denial about the state of your field in this industry. Every professional field has low quality practitioners, but those members are still part of the profession (much to the dismay of their colleagues). Kotaku has it's own writers/reporters that investigate, report on events in the gaming industry, and would definitely consider their website gaming "journalism", no matter how bad a name they are giving the profession.

I do want to apologize for my statement, because I didn't mean to offend you. Unfortunately gaming journalism is such a small field, and the majority of it is flooded with poor quality stuff, that it becomes easy to make sweeping statements about the field in general. I was exaggerating with my statement and I don't actually wish all of gaming journalism disappears, since there is some great stuff out there if you look for it, but I won't lie when I say I wish 80% of it did.

It's really not a smug thing to say that absolutely nothing on Kotaku should be taken as any form of journalism based on their output. They literally became popular by taking other people's stories and writing a few words about them, usually in such a way that they'd get hits. Their controversial bullshit may get them games, but it doesn't legitimize what they do.

I guess if you consider stuff in The National Enquirer or Star or something journalism, then I can understand seeing most of the stuff in the games industry as journalism, but I most definitely don't. Maybe that's where the differences in how we classify the stuff lies, but I would point, again, to Gamasutra as an example of how games coverage can fit with something like a Time or Newsweek or some other "proper" journalism publication (and they cover games too, though obviously only on the odd occasion).

In any event, I didn't take any offense or anything, I was just saying I wouldn't like to be without a job; I definitely get to do what I love for a living -- whatever we end up calling that. I just hate hearing people lumping the really bad examples of hit mongering as anything investigative or even resembling impartial reporting, and most would just rather roll their eyes and berate it rather than trying to get in and do it themselves. The games industry is probably one of the easiest to break into, and because there's such a dearth of what I'd call proper journalism, it would be possible to really stand out as having quality coverage.

It just wouldn't get any traffic.

In any event, I didn't mean to derail the thread. How about all them games, eh? Sure was nice of the whole industry to just go ahead and release all their big stuff in the span of a couple weeks! :smithicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

The games industry is probably one of the easiest to break into, and because there's such a dearth of what I'd call proper journalism, it would be possible to really stand out as having quality coverage.

You're the only one i've heard of to say this. What do you mean, exactly? If anything, it seems like it's one of the hardest. You got so many people wanting to get into anything video game related as a career and attempt to make a living off of it. I know websites like IGN.com, whenever they have openings for writing positions, they get over 25,000 applications.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

You're the only one i've heard of to say this. What do you mean, exactly? If anything, it seems like it's one of the hardest. You got so many people wanting to get into anything video game related as a career and attempt to make a living off of it. I know websites like IGN.com, whenever they have openings for writing positions, they get over 25,000 applications.

I mean anyone can whip up a web site, start contacting the PR departments of companies to get press releases, cover news there for a bit to build up contacts, then start actually doing investigative work if that's the gripe with the coverage. I'm not saying it's easy to get hired at one of the big places, but you can absolutely cover the industry, go to events and, yes, eventually get product from publishers by simply starting a site/business (not a blog; covering other people's news isn't really addressing the issue many have with the way the press covers the industry). It'll take time, won't make you bupkis and may not be seen by many, but if you're looking for fame and fortune from writing about video games, you're probably not in it for the quality of your coverage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

I mean anyone can whip up a web site, start contacting the PR departments of companies to get press releases, cover news there for a bit to build up contacts, then start actually doing investigative work if that's the gripe with the coverage. I'm not saying it's easy to get hired at one of the big places, but you can absolutely cover the industry, go to events and, yes, eventually get product from publishers by simply starting a site/business (not a blog; covering other people's news isn't really addressing the issue many have with the way the press covers the industry). It'll take time, won't make you bupkis and may not be seen by many, but if you're looking for fame and fortune from writing about video games, you're probably not in it for the quality of your coverage.

Ahh okay, that's what you meant. In which case I completely agree with you. That is actually a viable strategy and does work.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

SamBishop posted:

It's really not a smug thing to say that absolutely nothing on Kotaku should be taken as any form of journalism based on their output. They literally became popular by taking other people's stories and writing a few words about them, usually in such a way that they'd get hits. Their controversial bullshit may get them games, but it doesn't legitimize what they do.

I guess if you consider stuff in The National Enquirer or Star or something journalism, then I can understand seeing most of the stuff in the games industry as journalism, but I most definitely don't. Maybe that's where the differences in how we classify the stuff lies, but I would point, again, to Gamasutra as an example of how games coverage can fit with something like a Time or Newsweek or some other "proper" journalism publication (and they cover games too, though obviously only on the odd occasion).

In any event, I didn't take any offense or anything, I was just saying I wouldn't like to be without a job; I definitely get to do what I love for a living -- whatever we end up calling that. I just hate hearing people lumping the really bad examples of hit mongering as anything investigative or even resembling impartial reporting, and most would just rather roll their eyes and berate it rather than trying to get in and do it themselves. The games industry is probably one of the easiest to break into, and because there's such a dearth of what I'd call proper journalism, it would be possible to really stand out as having quality coverage.

It just wouldn't get any traffic.

In any event, I didn't mean to derail the thread. How about all them games, eh? Sure was nice of the whole industry to just go ahead and release all their big stuff in the span of a couple weeks! :smithicide:

I don't really read Kotaku much, but I was under the impression they also wrote some of their own stuff? If they truly only comment on what other people write, then yes, I'm inclined to agree with you that they are in fact not journalists at all. Perhaps I should not have used the world journalism then, and just said "writing about games". I also wouldn't want you out of a job, since judging by your posts here you seem like a reasonable person who is capable of writing well. I do however still wish there was a large purge of people who write about games, since it's so hard to find the few good sources in the sea of garbage.

I don't really think we're that off topic, unless there is a separate games journalism thread, which would probably just devolve into people posting screenshots of horrible kotaku articles like the one above.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Megasabin posted:

I don't really read Kotaku much, but I was under the impression they also wrote some of their own stuff? If they truly only comment on what other people write, then yes, I'm inclined to agree with you that they are in fact not journalists at all. Perhaps I should not have used the world journalism then, and just said "writing about games". I also wouldn't want you out of a job, since judging by your posts here you seem like a reasonable person who is capable of writing well. I do however still wish there was a large purge of people who write about games, since it's so hard to find the few good sources in the sea of garbage.

I don't really think we're that off topic, unless there is a separate games journalism thread, which would probably just devolve into people posting screenshots of horrible kotaku articles like the one above.

Oh no, they definitely do write their own stuff. When they started, though, it was like most blogs; take other people's stuff, whip up a quick blurb (usually with a lot of unneeded snark or injections of personal thoughts) and then collect all the traffic from it. That got them big enough that they had the raw traffic numbers for publishers to take them seriously and send them product.

I'm not really sure why Stephen Totilo went there, but he did some really good stuff -- stuff I'd definitely would call journalism -- at MTV, but I guess that was imploding, so he went to... Kotaku? I don't even know, and I feel bad ripping on just one site, so I'll shaddap.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SamBishop posted:

... Kotaku? I don't even know, and I feel bad ripping on just one site, so I'll shaddap.

No, please, don't stop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For what it's worth SamBishop, I think most goons are in agreement that Kotaku is a terrible website. SA forums are the only place I really need for gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

I said come in! posted:

For what it's worth SamBishop, I think most goons are in agreement that Kotaku is a terrible website. SA forums are the only place I really need for gaming.

And me. You need my opinions because they are important. :colbert:

E: Unless you want to lump me in as another great feature of the SA forums.

• Locked thread