Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Morbid Florist posted:

It's nice to be able to fly a flag and maybe someone will recognize it, and at the same time be dismissed by people who frown on "that sort of thing", all without any effort. Saves time and aggravation.

Yes, this. It makes life so easy. People who would talk to you while wearing a shirt that says "gently caress YOUR GOD" will talk to you anywhile, and people who don't want to associate with "that kind of riff raff" are sorted out so easily!

On an MDF note, Desaster had to cancel, Absu added to the Thursday line up. Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

I wear a Toxic Holocaust shirt pretty frequently, it's not like anyone can read the font anyway. My issue is more with ugly design and slogans on the back like "KILL EVERYONE" or "DRINK BLOOD 666 DEVILFUCK" that just come off as something aimed at kids who desperately want to alienate their parents.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I wear a Toxic Holocaust shirt pretty frequently, it's not like anyone can read the font anyway. My issue is more with ugly design and slogans on the back like "KILL EVERYONE" or "DRINK BLOOD 666 DEVILFUCK" that just come off as something aimed at kids who desperately want to alienate their parents.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
nvm

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 21, 2011

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

The only fashion statement you're making is that you like wearing terrible shirts.

Sorry if I prefer my clothes to actually look nice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, there's people around the office here that wear Megadeth shirts and everything else. Even though I own a bunch of metal t-shirts, I think they're just plain tacky in a corporate environment, even if they aren't obscene. I usually just wear mine only at home or maybe to the gym. I'd rather not have people comment on my t-shirts anyway.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Can we all just agree that clothes are clothes and not turn this into some fashion debate that happened on GBS or something...

To contribute, I totally forgot how awesome Strapping Young Lad was and I am going to revisit their stuff.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What do you guys think about Fedoras?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

captainOrbital posted:

What do you guys think about Fedoras?

If they wore a fedora before Kennedy killed the American hat, it is acceptable. Otherwise, no.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Zodijackylite posted:

If they wore a fedora before Kennedy killed the American hat, it is acceptable. Otherwise, no.

Yes, but the question really is: what is the best band shirt to go with a fedora?

Personally, I prefer the ones by Rhapsody (of Fire). Maybe Hammerfall, if I'm feeling Scandinavian.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I have to wear metal t-shirts because otherwise when people see my denim jacket and mullet they just assume I'm Canadian.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

thepitgoddess posted:

Can we all just agree that clothes are clothes and not turn this into some fashion debate that happened on GBS or something...

To contribute, I totally forgot how awesome Strapping Young Lad was and I am going to revisit their stuff.

This talk about SYL and fashion is one of the greatest combinations of all time. Nothing says, "Nice to meet you" like a dead baby angel having a wing ripped off.

I wear this occasionally.. mostly just to metal shows.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Hahaha, yeah, I remember that shirt. Hilarious. I haven't had metal shirts in a long time and it kind of saddens me when I instinctively nod at someone who's wearing one and they don't know why I'm doing it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Cynic is awesome. Go see them and poo poo.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Yes, but the question really is: what is the best band shirt to go with a fedora?

Personally, I prefer the ones by Rhapsody (of Fire). Maybe Hammerfall, if I'm feeling Scandinavian.

Blackguard, Dragonforce, or Powerglove. Blind Guardian if you're at least civilized enough to take off the hat when you go indoors.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

Blackguard, Dragonforce, or Powerglove. Blind Guardian if you're at least civilized enough to take off the hat when you go indoors.

Powerglove if you've got a trench coat or duster to go with it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I know people that wear a fedora, duster and Blackguard/Powerglove shirt. It sure is something.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Zodijackylite posted:

That's the problem with Blind Guardian. I went to see them in Florida and I saw at least six people with their XXL Blind Guardian shirts tucked into their way too small jeans. I love the band, but that sure is a sight.

Only shirts I would not wear is from any NS bands. I have a bald head and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'll wear a (metal) shirt if it looks good. It is what it is.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I know people that wear a fedora, duster and Blackguard/Powerglove shirt. It sure is something.

The best part is that they don't know why I'm laughing at them.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Only shirts I would not wear is from any NS bands. I have a bald head and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

I have long hair and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just got into Death, and I'm pretty much loving every song so far. The trouble is when I try to listen to other newer death metal bands, the vocals are too growly and almost unintelligible, or the music is too slow and droning. Any recommendations on bands that sound like Death?

Side note: loving psyched to see Lamb of God in Jan in DC, anyone else going?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Atheist and Cynic. Cynic is fronted by Paul Masvidal, who did most of my favorite Death solos.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Try Atheist and Cynic. Cynic is fronted by Paul Masvidal, who did most of my favorite Death solos.

With Cynic only Focus is really anything at all like Death.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

rxcowboy posted:

So I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just got into Death, and I'm pretty much loving every song so far. The trouble is when I try to listen to other newer death metal bands, the vocals are too growly and almost unintelligible, or the music is too slow and droning. Any recommendations on bands that sound like Death?

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Because the chance of Vintersorg playing a tour in the USA is less than nil. He's very much a 'I will record a zillion albums with my best friend in a shack in Skellefteå, but I'd rather eat my right arm than play a live gig anywhere in the universe' kind of guy.

And because it's Vintersorg, he literally means the entire universe.

I was so happy to find them finally on sale that I bought two of them.

Speaking of shirt chat, my Vintersorg shirt is also the only band shirt I really feel comfortable wearing to work, because it doesn't look like a metal shirt at all. It's just his old elf logo, with the sun and the moon on it. I have a kick rear end job, but a business casual dress code. I'm lucky to be able to wear t-shirts at all, so I don't want to push it.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 20, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just got back from the Manowar show and I feel like I got run over by a truck made of sound. That is without exaggeration the loudest concert I have ever been to.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

when they're in town, speakers explode

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
They actually brought their own sound system for the show. The speakers looked like the monolith from 2001, they were like seven feet tall and four feet wide.

Things I never thought I would hear that I heard at this show -

The sound of a guitar string being ripped out of a guitar while it's still plugged into an amp

A man playing Flight of the Bumblebee on a bass guitar

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

With Cynic only Focus is really anything at all like Death.
But the other stuff is still good. It's just that instead of jazz-metal with an alien robot singing, it's new-agey jazz-rock with an alien robot singing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

I prefer the Leprosy/Spiritual era, got anything that sounds like that? I like the newer more mature sound too.

But nothing starts my day better than blasting Pull The Plug at full volume.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 20, 2011

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Manowar was incredible live, there's really nothing like it. I feel like my ears will still be ringing for the next couple days.. so worth it. I really wish they would come around every year.. I'm from New Jersey where the one US show was luckily at but I met people last night from all over the place.. someone drove like 14 hours from Canada to be there. The only other show I've been to that has the same sense of all true fans that know every word of every song was for Blind Guardian, and that wasn't nearly as fun as this show.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

Possessed has similar vocals is pretty loving awesome.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

I prefer the Leprosy/Spiritual era, got anything that sounds like that? I like the newer more mature sound too.

But nothing starts my day better than blasting Pull The Plug at full volume.

Maybe some similar era/place stuff? Early Obituary (you might not like the vocals here, it's half words, half puke sounds, but totally amazing), Monstrosity, early Morbid Angel, maybe lesser known stuff like Brutality (these guys have a sort of technical edge you might like), Diabolic, Massacre (which I am so NOT a fan, but maybe you will like it).

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

fatherdog posted:

They actually brought their own sound system for the show. The speakers looked like the monolith from 2001, they were like seven feet tall and four feet wide.

Things I never thought I would hear that I heard at this show -

The sound of a guitar string being ripped out of a guitar while it's still plugged into an amp

A man playing Flight of the Bumblebee on a bass guitar

Did the show also feature Joey DiMaio going the gently caress off on the promoter/false metal/true metal/his bass tech? I swear he ranted for the better part of 20 minutes when I saw them and that alone was worth the price of admission. It's a shame they don't tour more in the US, I don't get it.

Sadly, they no longer offer the 5-lb Manowar chocolate bar on their website. My all-time favorite piece of merch.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

thepitgoddess posted:

Maybe some similar era/place stuff? Early Obituary (you might not like the vocals here, it's half words, half puke sounds, but totally amazing), Monstrosity, early Morbid Angel, maybe lesser known stuff like Brutality (these guys have a sort of technical edge you might like), Diabolic, Massacre (which I am so NOT a fan, but maybe you will like it).

The vocals in any band are a sticking point for me. I checked out Obituary and loved the sound, hated the angry cookie monster vocals. Maybe it's an acquired taste since I'm still relatively "new" to metal, I'll check them out again.

What's a good starting song for Morbid Angel and Brutality?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

The vocals in any band are a sticking point for me. I checked out Obituary and loved the sound, hated the angry cookie monster vocals. Maybe it's an acquired taste since I'm still relatively "new" to metal, I'll check them out again.

Morbid Angel changed quite a bit over the years, being a lot thrashier earlier, having more groove-oriented riffing and a sludgy overall feel on Domination, and changing quite a bit and experimenting more after that, when frontman David Vincent left the band. I'd recommend listening to the Morbid Angel albums in order - they were released on alphabetical order, so far they've made an album for each letter A-I. Their first four are generally regarded as their classic era. Here's my favorite song from the debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WrsHk2pcik

You might also like Pestilence's first two, the first was thrashier while the second was more evolved into death metal. Martin van Drunen's vocals were somewhat similar to Chuck's vocals on early Death on the debut, within a few years becoming a tortured howl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0HGJ6DZAf8

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Someone answered MA for me ;) My starting point was Domination, which I loved. The vocals are heavy but totally understandable. Altars might be a little closer to the sound you already like.

Brutality only every put out two albums. I particularly liked When the Sky Turned Black. The whole thing, start to finish, is a masterpiece.

Seconding Pestilence. Adding Hail of Bullets and Asphyx (more Van Drunen) and Bolt Thrower (slow death metal)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

thepitgoddess posted:

Brutality only every put out two albums. I particularly liked When the Sky Turned Black. The whole thing, start to finish, is a masterpiece.

So which of their albums are you discounting? :v:

rxcowboy posted:

You might like the early 90s swedish death metal. The vocals are more shouty and less growly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BJsArQR0AY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_agMM4Czeo

MrBling fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Zodijackylite posted:

Morbid Angel changed quite a bit over the years, being a lot thrashier earlier, having more groove-oriented riffing and a sludgy overall feel on Domination, and changing quite a bit and experimenting more after that, when frontman David Vincent left the band. I'd recommend listening to the Morbid Angel albums in order - they were released on alphabetical order, so far they've made an album for each letter A-I. Their first four are generally regarded as their classic era. Here's my favorite song from the debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WrsHk2pcik

The toms on Domination are are probably the worst sounding I have ever heard, they're like garbage can lids. it kinda fits for the album though. That being said "Where the slime lives" is a sick groove filled song and after more than 10 years it is still one of my favorites.