Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

NihilCredo posted:

Pale Moon is also available in x64.
The x64 version is rather slow though, as it's built without even the optimizations Mozilla uses (because his workstation is the only x64 machine he has and build times are too long...). If you want a faster Firefox experience, you might check out Aurora. I haven't had any problems with things breaking (aside from add-ons on release day, and that should be fixed before the next release), and new features like Type Inference and the results of the Memshrink project make a difference.

Bonus Edit: There's a post from Mark Finkle up on Planet Mozilla about the new native UI for Firefox Mobile for Android, which should be appearing starting with nightly builds on Wednesday the 23rd. They've re-written the XUL-based UI with native Android widgets, in order to improve performance and memory use on mobile platforms. This also adds support for Adobe Flash. Since startup time, memory usage, and Flash support are the top 3 complaints about Firefox Mobile on Android, this should really make a difference once it reaches users.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I was here earlier in the thread about weird distortions on videos I watch on blip.tv or whatever other videos, and I was told to try to update my drivers on my computer, well I tried and it said that the best drivers were already installed. I tried updating my plugins and disabling others, and yet the problem persists. I really don't know where else to ask, but is there anything I can do?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I was here earlier in the thread about weird distortions on videos I watch on blip.tv or whatever other videos, and I was told to try to update my drivers on my computer, well I tried and it said that the best drivers were already installed. I tried updating my plugins and disabling others, and yet the problem persists. I really don't know where else to ask, but is there anything I can do?
I'd recommend posting a thread in the Haus of Tech Support, make sure you use the template in the sticky Rules thread and include your system specs. It sounds like your video drivers need to be updated and you'll just need help figuring out what drivers you need.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is v8 the one that has an x64 version or what?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

jeeves posted:

Is v8 the one that has an x64 version or what?
Mozilla hasn't released official x64 builds yet. You can download x64 nightly builds here, I think the general consensus right now is that the loss of compatibility for binary add-ons isn't worth it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Wat addons are you missing?

There are official release 64 bit Java.and flash builds and a 64 bit silverlight release.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Wat addons are you missing?

There are official release 64 bit Java.and flash builds and a 64 bit silverlight release.
I think this would break games, add-ons from antivirus programs, Adobe Reader, and various other add-ons with binary components. Granted many people can get along without these add-ons, but I think they want to avoid a whole bunch of people who don't know any better wondering why all their stuff stopped working, as well as bitching from vendors. They get enough heat whenever they block a Skype/McAfee version for being a crashy piece of poo poo.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
Thought you all would be interested in this:
Make Firefox Add-ons default to compatible
http://theunfocused.net/2011/11/19/solving-firefoxs-add-on-compatibility-problem/

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Nice. Didn't know there is some level of support in Aurora. I figured that I would have to wait until 10 filtered down, Triggered it and so far it's all good.

To point out something that's in the comments that people who are running Add-on Compatibility Reporter should see.

quote:

Folks running the Add-on Compatibility Reporter need to do this to test:
1. In Add-ons manager – extensions, click the “Enable” compatibility checking link at the top,
2. Disable the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to prevent it from disabling compatibility checking at the next startup.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any reason why teevox.com doesn't work for me on modern browsers like Firefox 7+? Is there any way that I can make it work short of keeping multiple browsers installed?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Lowclock posted:

Is there any reason why teevox.com doesn't work for me on modern browsers like Firefox 7+? Is there any way that I can make it work short of keeping multiple browsers installed?

I have no idea what it is I'm looking at, but it works for me in Firefox 8.whatever. Maybe uninstall Flash and delete all remnants and reinstall?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sorry if this has been covered, but I downloaded 8.01 yesterday and now I have no back buttons:

Is there a fix for this? I found some info online saying Adblock and Firebug can interfere with navigation, but I disabled them with no success.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

me your dad posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but I downloaded 8.01 yesterday and now I have no back buttons:

Is there a fix for this? I found some info online saying Adblock and Firebug can interfere with navigation, but I disabled them with no success.
Go to View, Toolbars, Customize. You should see all of the various buttons and UI elements available and be able to drag them around to place them.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Alereon posted:

Go to View, Toolbars, Customize. You should see all of the various buttons and UI elements available and be able to drag them around to place them.

Thanks. I am apparently blind. I opened that control panel several times, looking for that exact thing. It was at the bottom of the panel and I had somehow overlooked them.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I am apparently blind. I opened that control panel several times, looking for that exact thing. It was at the bottom of the panel and I had somehow overlooked them.

If it gets real wonky (and it might get really strange) you can have it restore defaults

Worst case scenario you're looking at backing up your bookmarks, places.sqlite, password files and starting a profile from scratch

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Use the PasswordExporter extension to backup (and later import) your saved passwords to a separate document, just like you can backup your bookmarks to an .html file, then just rebuild your profile from scratch.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Does anyone know of an extention or greasemonkey script that bypasses that tracking stuff for news articles on Facebook (such as the Guardian or Independant ones) and just takes me straight to the webpage with the article without being tracked?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anyone know why twitch.tv/justin.tv are broken in firefox? None of the embeds are there. I tried removing all addons, reinstalling firefox and it's up to date.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Kild posted:

Anyone know why twitch.tv/justin.tv are broken in firefox? None of the embeds are there. I tried removing all addons, reinstalling firefox and it's up to date.

Looks fine here. Try a new Firefox profile, uninstalling/reinstalling really doesn't change anything so never makes a difference.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Alereon posted:

Looks fine here. Try a new Firefox profile, uninstalling/reinstalling really doesn't change anything so never makes a difference.

Thanks, but is there a way to import my addons, browsing history, saved passwords and stuff to my new profile?

e: Nm I didn't see it at the bottom of what you linked me.

e2: Also is there a way to make text bigger without breaking tables?

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 25, 2011

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone know of an extention or greasemonkey script that bypasses that tracking stuff for news articles on Facebook (such as the Guardian or Independant ones) and just takes me straight to the webpage with the article without being tracked?
Ghostery and NoScript will help with tracking, and you can (unintuitively) just say no to installing the app and FB will pass the link through to the destination page, like normal.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kild posted:

Thanks, but is there a way to import my addons, browsing history, saved passwords and stuff to my new profile?

e: Nm I didn't see it at the bottom of what you linked me.

e2: Also is there a way to make text bigger without breaking tables?

View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Have you looked at ghostery? I would also recommend Priv3

Microsoft Spy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 26, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Anybody else have this issue with Firefox and SA?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449369

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are there any known issues with Firefox and AMD drivers? I updated mine and now the text in the address bar and tab titles is all weird and unpleasant.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

The Dark One posted:

Are there any known issues with Firefox and AMD drivers? I updated mine and now the text in the address bar and tab titles is all weird and unpleasant.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. It's so that you know what domain you're on, as an antiphishing feature. If you don't like it, go to about :config and toggle browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled to false.

Edit: Dammit, that's what I get for being blind. VVV

Prize Loser fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 28, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Prize Loser posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature. It's so that you know what domain you're on, as an antiphishing feature. If you don't like it, go to about :config and toggle browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled to false.

He's referring to the wonky antialiasing.

Dark One, check out the "Text looks goofy!" section of the OP.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

Restarting Firefox should fix that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I don't know if this has been asked a billion times in this thread (so I apologize if this question has been answered a billion times), but if I close a tab in one tab group where the next newest tab is in a different group Firefox switches groups. How do I change it so that it will switch to the next tab in the currently selected group? This is extremely annoying and :google: isn't helping.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Is it normal that Firefox's flash plugin is consuming CPU resources even when the video is paused? This is what I get when I pause a youtube video:

http://i.imgur.com/rr0DF.png

Comparatively IE uses zero CPU when paused. The entire video has already been downloaded at this point. The funny thing is that it doesn't seem to be doing anything. According to Process Explorer plugin-container.exe is reading 1KB and writing 2KB every second. When I tried to use Process Monitor to find out which file(s) it was accessing, it turned up nothing (which mystified me).

It's more of a big deal than it sounds. I'm using an older laptop and FF is dropping frames on 720p videos due to hitting 100% CPU. IE plays them fine but requires 85% CPU. I'm thinking that if FF's Flash plugin is wasting 36% CPU on something else than video rendering, and I find out what it is an fix it, those CPU savings would allow me to watch 720p videos without dropping frames.

It's FF 9.0 on Windows 7 32-bit, Flash is 11.0.1.152.

E: Linked the image instead to avoid breaking tables

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 5, 2011

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

MachinTrucChose posted:

It's FF 9.0 on Windows 7 32-bit, Flash is 11.0.1.152.

I don't know if it will help but there is a newer Flash version 11.1.102.55 available.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

MutantBlue posted:

I don't know if it will help but there is a newer Flash version 11.1.102.55 available.

Actually, it did! Same video now using zero CPU when paused, and it plays fine. Thanks.

Weird that I didn't already have it, Flash is configured to check for updates automatically, but I had to get it manually from Adobe's site.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The flash updater is a bit poo poo and not always reliable.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

I'd use something like Secunia PSI to tell me when flash and other poo poo is out of date, rather than relying on the built in updaters.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

MachinTrucChose posted:

Actually, it did! Same video now using zero CPU when paused, and it plays fine. Thanks.

Weird that I didn't already have it, Flash is configured to check for updates automatically, but I had to get it manually from Adobe's site.

It checks for updates automatically, but only lets you know if they're available right after you log in after rebooting.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

The flash updater is a bit poo poo and not always reliable.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

I'd use something like Secunia PSI to tell me when flash and other poo poo is out of date, rather than relying on the built in updaters.

I have been using filehippo's update checker, got it to automagically scan my system's once a fortnight, it then direct's my browser to there website with a page listing a direct download to all the new update's.

very useful & light weight app. http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
For something that can automatically install some of the major software apps out there, check out Secunia PSI

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The FileHippo one is good, but it's aimed more at the "must have the latest version" crowd. It also only covers apps that are available for download on FileHippe, which is admittedly quite a lot of apps.

Secunia is just about security and covers more/different apps. It's also a lot quicker to let you know and as Ryanbruce says, can be configured to auto install the important ones to save you having to click through the Java installer 3 times a week (and inadvertently end up with the Ask Jeeves Toolbar when you're not paying attention)

I actually use both, but only bother to fire up the FileHippo one when I have a few spare hours to go and update everything on my system.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I just go to ninite and create a exe with the top plugins like foxit, flash, java, etc and save it somewhere and make a scheduled task that runs it every week.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is anyone having trouble getting embedded Youtube videos to play? Videos embedded here with the video tag work fine, so the problem seems to be videos embedded with the iframe code. For example:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9092422

I see the title, and a play button in the center, but no preview image and I can't get the video to play. I'm having this problem on both my desktop and laptop using Firefox 8.0. I tried disabling Adblock and even tried safe mode and still can't get it to play. And it works fine in IE9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Works for me using Pale Moon 8.0 64bit