Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IT Guy posted:

loving Canada, is all I have to say about the Amazon apps.

loving everywhere in the world that's not the US is what I have to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I moved my PC into the living room and so I've been watching movies on my computer from the couch. I was thinking of buying some sort of wireless keyboard or HTPC remote control or something when I got the bright idea of checking for an android app!
Mobile Mouse Pro is pretty sweet. You can use it as a wireless mouse and keyboard, but there are a bunch of different control schemes you can use, including a HTPC remote control. There's also a free version that does mouse and keyboard but not the other control schemes, but I thought $3 was a small price to pay, particularly since it saved me at least $30.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I deleted files using my brothers mac in the file browser, however despite the files being gone in the system--the device still shows the space being allocated.

Galaxy S2 Skyrocket running gingerbread.

Any ideas?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

I deleted files using my brothers mac in the file browser, however despite the files being gone in the system--the device still shows the space being allocated.

Any ideas?

Did you dismount/remount the SD card, rescan it, or reboot the phone? If not, Android may not have noticed that the files have been deleted.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Splizwarf posted:

How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway? My wife just got a Nook and she's going to want today's app down the road but she's not rooted yet so no Amazon Market. Can I sign into the Amazon Market App with multiple profiles and get multiple keys that way?

I wish we could just log in through our existing Amazon.com accounts and click a checkbox each day there's a cool app and say "add this license to my Amazon account please".

I don't think there's a limit. I've got the following auth'd on my account right now.

motorola DROID X2 5/25/2011
motorola MB855 7/20/2011
HTC Evo 3/22/2011
motorola DROID RAZR 11/17/2011
Motorola Droid 2 8/26/2011
motorola DROID BIONIC 9/11/2011
Motorola Xoom 2 8/21/2011
Motorola Xoom 1 6/21/2011
motorola DROID X2 1 8/3/2011
Motorola Xoom 5/24/2011
Motorola Xoom 3 10/2/2011
motorola DROID3 7/14/2011
Motorola Droid 2 1 9/3/2011

And I add more every month or so. No issues so far.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Widgetlocker: the home key always bypasses the lockscreen, even though that option is unchecked, anyone else get that?

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

c0ldfuse posted:

Any ideas?

While the phone is mounted, did you empty the Trash? OS X usually moves files to a hidden .Trash directory (on the device) instead of deleting them, until you empty the trash in Finder.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Whats a good app that lets me bind the vol up/down and power keys to media playback buttons? I want to be able to double click the vol up/down to do next/previous and double click the power button to play/pause. I hear it's built into CM7 but I like Sense on my Evo3D.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Whats a good app that lets me bind the vol up/down and power keys to media playback buttons? I want to be able to double click the vol up/down to do next/previous and double click the power button to play/pause. I hear it's built into CM7 but I like Sense on my Evo3D.
I wouldn't think apps would be allowed to hijack hardware keys like that but I could be wrong.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Makers of the blustacks app player just announced it works on xp now, woo.

They included the emails of everyone who registered for that notification in the to: field, meaning they shared a couple hundred peoples email addresses without permission.

Sometimes I suspect android is the moron-version of the midas touch...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I moved my PC into the living room and so I've been watching movies on my computer from the couch. I was thinking of buying some sort of wireless keyboard or HTPC remote control or something when I got the bright idea of checking for an android app!
Mobile Mouse Pro is pretty sweet. You can use it as a wireless mouse and keyboard, but there are a bunch of different control schemes you can use, including a HTPC remote control. There's also a free version that does mouse and keyboard but not the other control schemes, but I thought $3 was a small price to pay, particularly since it saved me at least $30.
How does this work? Do you need an IR sensor, or do you run a concurrent app on the PC as well?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

pbpancho posted:

I don't think there's a limit. I've got the following auth'd on my account right now.

motorola DROID X2 5/25/2011
motorola MB855 7/20/2011
HTC Evo 3/22/2011
motorola DROID RAZR 11/17/2011
Motorola Droid 2 8/26/2011
motorola DROID BIONIC 9/11/2011
Motorola Xoom 2 8/21/2011
Motorola Xoom 1 6/21/2011
motorola DROID X2 1 8/3/2011
Motorola Xoom 5/24/2011
Motorola Xoom 3 10/2/2011
motorola DROID3 7/14/2011
Motorola Droid 2 1 9/3/2011

And I add more every month or so. No issues so far.
I've had easily three times that many devices when I was flashing a new rom once every week or so (every rom shows up as a new device). It's also pretty easy to clear devices.

berzerkmonkey posted:

How does this work? Do you need an IR sensor, or do you run a concurrent app on the PC as well?
Concurrent app on the pc.

edit: It's worth noting they have mac and linux server apps as well.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Any consensus on what's the best media player for the CM7 touchpad? Subtitles and mkv support is a must.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

nukethewhales posted:

While the phone is mounted, did you empty the Trash? OS X usually moves files to a hidden .Trash directory (on the device) instead of deleting them, until you empty the trash in Finder.

We have a winner.

Thank you x1000. It was driving me loving insane.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I was thinking about trying out one of these HDR camera apps. Which one is considered the best?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well I've given up on launcher pro ever being updated and have tried go launcher again, it's changed a massive amount since the last time I used it and it is such an improvement.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

How does the cache in Google Music work? Does it just keep filling up the sd card, or is there a size-limit, or what?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

Well I've given up on launcher pro ever being updated and have tried go launcher again, it's changed a massive amount since the last time I used it and it is such an improvement.

Yeah, Go Launcher if fantastic. I really like the widgets they provide as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is there anything else like LauncherPro?

I also tried Go Launcher again last night and I don't like a lot of the little bits, like how there's no setting to make the screen not move when I have a single homescreen and accidentally swipe on it.

Another example, 5x5 is a pretty gappy app drawer even on a SGSII, much less on a Streak, and it's weird that they added the option to make the homescreen any amount of rows and columns up to 10x10 but didn't also include the same sliders for the app drawer. In LP, my app drawer all fits on one screen with no scrolling; the tightest Go Launcher can do is 4 screens of apps, and why are all the app names cut off? It's also a lot slower in general than LP. I really liked that LP let me turn off all animations ever so my phone wasn't bouncy. When I want to open something I want it open, not showing me how cute it can be on the way there.

I dunno, maybe there was stuff I didn't like about LP originally, but I used it for a year and got pretty comfortable with it. The only reason I'm looking to switch is I've started getting The Bug With No Cure, where the LP process (com.fede.launcher) shows up twice as a task and both tasks are pegging the CPU at 100% until the battery dies. According to everything I could find on the internet, this is a bug that has no discernible cause and isn't fixed by a complete uninstall/reinstall, cache clear, factory reset, etc. And since Federico gives no gently caress, v:shobon:v

Goddamn do I ever hope he comes back and makes LP awesome again.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Splizwarf posted:

Seriously. There's so much about LP that makes it great that I was putting up with the constant bugs until just recently.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Is there anything else like LauncherPro?

I also tried Go Launcher again last night and I don't like a lot of the little bits, like how there's no setting to make the screen not move when I have a single homescreen and accidentally swipe on it.

Another example, 5x5 is a pretty gappy app drawer even on a SGSII, much less on a Streak, and it's weird that they added the option to make the homescreen any amount of rows and columns up to 10x10 but didn't also include the same sliders for the app drawer. In LP, my app drawer all fits on one screen with no scrolling; the tightest Go Launcher can do is 4 screens of apps, and why are all the app names cut off? It's also a lot slower in general than LP. I really liked that LP let me turn off all animations ever so my phone wasn't bouncy. When I want to open something I want it open, not showing me how cute it can be on the way there.

This.

I just tried out GO Launcher since there's so many people sucking its dick in here and I find it ugly, much less smooth than LPP, and I couldn't find a decent transparent theme for the widgets (which I found not as good as LPP's by a country mile). Worst of all, no loving popups!

I will say though I've never had performance issues at all with LPP and if I did maybe I'd sing a different tune.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

LastInLine posted:

This.

I just tried out GO Launcher since there's so many people sucking its dick in here and I find it ugly, much less smooth than LPP, and I couldn't find a decent transparent theme for the widgets (which I found not as good as LPP's by a country mile). Worst of all, no loving popups!

I will say though I've never had performance issues at all with LPP and if I did maybe I'd sing a different tune.

If the widgets you're looking for are Twitter, Facebook and the like, Android Pro Widgets pretty accurately duplicates that Launcher Pro widgets.

I don't mind GO Launcher so much, but I really do wish I could go back to Launcher Pro. I don't really know what I miss, exactly, but I miss it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sometimes I feel like the only goon that uses ADW Launcher, haha.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I use it on my Nook Color, on my phone it causes awful redraw.

I know what I miss most about LPP, it being good.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

No I'm with you. To everyone having performance issues with go try ADW, it is smooth as gently caress.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This.

I think the thing driving me most nuts (and I realize this is probably rare because I'm on a Streak and landscape is my default all the time) is that I'm used to having the dock up the right side and a 1x5 Elixir widget (a rack of 9 buttons) up the left side, stretched to be the height of the screen. Because of where Go Launcher puts the trash can (on the opposite side from the dock instead of under it like LP), I can't get the Elixir widget close enough to the side. I'm used to basically a big empty area with controls on the sides and I can't figure out what the hell to do with all my buttons now, they look retarded up next to a 5-button dock, but more retarded stranded a full button's-length from the side.

Also, Go Launcher doesn't have swipe shortcuts, which turned my 15 dock buttons into 30.

What's the deal with ADW? Guess I should try it again. Hated it for some reason a year ago.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 23, 2011

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

No I'm with you. To everyone having performance issues with go try ADW, it is smooth as gently caress.

Why should I switch from Go Launcher (and formerly Launcher Pro) to ADW? Go Launcher seems pretty fast on my Evo 4G.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Also, Go Launcher doesn't have swipe shortcuts, which turned my 15 dock buttons into 30.

There was a time that it didn't, but they've since been added. There's literally nothing LP can do that Go can't anymore.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kyrosiris posted:

ADW on my phone and Touchpad! But I don't see it mentioned much, so I figured I might just be uncultured in the ways of launchers. I don't care about widgets or themes too much, not sure how ADW stacks up against Go or LPP.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

There was a time that it didn't, but they've since been added. There's literally nothing LP can do that Go can't anymore.

Please see my earlier posts and tell me how to relocate the trash can to under the dock so I can use all the sides of my screen, make my app drawer a higher-density grid than 5x5 and restore full names to the apps in it, add swipe shortcuts, and make my single homescreen not draggable. Also, explain why all the menus and long-press popups take so drat long to load every time.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Please see my earlier posts and tell me how to relocate the trash can to under the dock so I can use all the sides of my screen, make my app drawer a higher-density grid than 5x5 and restore full names to the apps in it, add swipe shortcuts, and make my single homescreen not draggable. Also, explain why all the menus and long-press popups take so drat long to load every time.

You learn how to code and develop your own launcher. I know your post is sarcastic but drat you've got some very picky and specific gripes. GO has been pretty responsive to their users, especially for having mostly free apps. I would try to carefully formulate your requests and send it to them via the "contact the developer" link in the market. They push out updates about once a week, mostly adding new features, so I wouldn't be surprised to see your requests heard.

And to for the record, to add dock swipe up gesture shortcuts you just long press a dock item and select gesture.

fudsak fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 23, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

gariig posted:

Why should I switch from Go Launcher (and formerly Launcher Pro) to ADW? Go Launcher seems pretty fast on my Evo 4G.

On my SGSII screen transitions/flicking through app drawer is just not as smooth with Go launcher. If you're happy with it then by all means stick with it. I was just offering it up as a suggestion to those who liked LPP but don't like the performance of Go.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

fudsak posted:

You learn how to code and develop your own launcher. I know your post is sarcastic but drat you've got some very picky and specific gripes. GO has been pretty responsive to their users, especially for having mostly free apps. I would try to carefully formulate your requests and send it to them via the "contact the developer" link in the market. They push out updates about once a week, mostly adding new features, so I wouldn't be surprised to see your requests heard.

And to for the record, to add dock swipe up gesture shortcuts you just long press a dock item and select gesture.

Thanks for the heads-up on swipe gestures.

Yeah, I meant that post more as a "hey dude, Go Launcher doesn't appear to include everything I liked about LP, thanks for making GBS threads on me about it". Not trying to start a fight about it, I think Penguissimo's a cool guy and good poster; just frustrated because all I want is the app I already bought to just loving work the way it has been. It met all my needs perfectly right up til it got cancer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to tell what's been changed in updated apps in the Amazon App Store? I'm kind of weird in that I always check what a new update changes or adds, but I can't do that for my Amazon stuff.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Speaking of the amazon store. I'm really tired of getting notifications that I have new things to install. Anyone know of a way to disable that?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

rotaryfun posted:

Speaking of the amazon store. I'm really tired of getting notifications that I have new things to install. Anyone know of a way to disable that?

I've started to get this about updates within the past week or so.

I'm about to uninstall the loving thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, backup and uninstall the Amazon App Market app, re-install when needed. Freeze it if you have a paid version of Titanium Backup. :v:

The only time I think you ever need it is when you actually want to download something from Amazon, the rest of the time the website will meet my needs better even on a phone browser.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't feel a need at all to move on from Launcher Pro Plus.

I liked having updates, but it has done everything I need it to do for...a very long time. I can't point to any functionality that I must have that LPP is missing. Best $3 I ever spent on my phone.

I have no regrets.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, backup and uninstall the Amazon App Market app, re-install when needed. Freeze it if you have a paid version of Titanium Backup. :v:

The only time I think you ever need it is when you actually want to download something from Amazon, the rest of the time the website will meet my needs better even on a phone browser.

Some applications use DRM that requires you to have amazon app market installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Holy poo poo, really? gently caress that. :(

• Locked thread