Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Holy crap. 2 and a half hours later and it's over.

What we have learnt:
1. Don't do sim damage, having your top speed nerfed by wrecked aero sucks. Also if you roll then you can't roll back over without help.
2. Shorter tracks, LeMans can get a bit lonely if you're away from the pack.
3. Shorter races, 1 hour would have been enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Jarf posted:

Especially for the credits you earn. I got 50,000 for 4th place which is pretty poo poo for 2.5 hours of racing. Luckily the exp points for both driver and manufacturer let me level up.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
We have collectively learned these lessons before... and forgotten them. I mean, it always seems like a good idea, but yeah.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Jarf posted:

What we have learnt:
1. Don't do sim damage, having your top speed nerfed by wrecked aero sucks. Also if you roll then you can't roll back over without help.

Agree on all accounts.

Though if we are using smaller tracks, aero shouldn't come into to too much.

I was fine on the corners even having 100% damage to front left and right sides, but on the main straight I just got killed.

I think I was even making up time in the corners, but with that crazy long straight I had no hope.

Gt 40 would get up to 250kmh, but even then it took half the straight to get there.

Lower class cars would be awesome as well. Much more predictable handling and should make for some tight racing.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Good times - almost won that race solely on the fact that I was the only one that didn't roll.

I was thinking we could do a Spec E30 race some time. I made one out of an E30 M3 but gave it spec-based spring rates/sway bars & 325i gear ratios and it's pretty much spot on. I ran some laps around Road Atlanta & Infineon and they were comparable to actual SE30 cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with A and S class racing. Sure the cars are fast, but a lot of people can't drive cars at that level (even if they think they can). The lower classes may be slower, but they are a lot of fun. The handling is a lot more forgiving which means you can actually take some risks and still stay in the race.

Not to mention that a lot of the people I've met that enjoy the upper class racing are people who need to be in a higher racing group because their porsche can take every corner flat out.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

So what were the final results? Sorry I couldn't make it but I forgot that it had been moved to Saturday and alcohol took precedence

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
So I check forza today on my first day off in a while, guess people can recommend kicking dudes.

Which I did.

If you got kicked and you're active in lljk, sorry. Blame AdamH1mself, then blame me for being an rear end or something.
I checked most of these dudes and they seem to be like, level 20 and below so they're either not racing or just got the game.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with A and S class racing. Sure the cars are fast, but a lot of people can't drive cars at that level (even if they think they can). The lower classes may be slower, but they are a lot of fun. The handling is a lot more forgiving which means you can actually take some risks and still stay in the race.

Not to mention that a lot of the people I've met that enjoy the upper class racing are people who need to be in a higher racing group because their porsche can take every corner flat out.

Yeah, not having a ton of practice with the game yet I kind of prefer the lower class racing, and there's still a lot of strategy with the low powered cars. With S class racing, braking a second too early or too late means I either cause a pile-up or shoot off the track in a straight line. Where with the slower cars you still lose tons of momentum from either bleeding off too much speed or having to trail brake through the turn, but that's way less frustrating than wrecking.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Jarf posted:

What we have learnt:
Yes we nyan got horribly screwed over after leading the race twice in a row before the 3rd restart and then getting shunted off.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

MaNiAk posted:

So I check forza today on my first day off in a while, guess people can recommend kicking dudes.

Which I did.

If you got kicked and you're active in lljk, sorry. Blame AdamH1mself, then blame me for being an rear end or something.
I checked most of these dudes and they seem to be like, level 20 and below so they're either not racing or just got the game.

They were almost all in LLJK in the initial sign up wave. I recommended them to be kicked since it was pretty obvious they weren't playing and I thought it would be nice for people who intend to play but couldn't pick the game up until later to still be able to join the club. If they decide to come back the game they can always just ask for a reup.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE

Cojawfee posted:

Faster is funner? I generally hover around A and S class because I get bored racing more than one race in anything slower. Sorry my fun is incompatible with yours.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sorry about that, some jerkass decided it would be funny to PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT MY FIBER CONNECTION where it comes into my apartment building, not only did I lose internet but TV and phone as well. Verizon Tech just left from fixing it.

It was a lovely 48 hours.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Shitbox racing is the best racing.

I totally missed le goonmans, on account of work bullshit. I'm gonna go delete my cell number from the escalation procedures.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Falken posted:

Yes we nyan got horribly screwed over after leading the race twice in a row before the 3rd restart and then getting shunted off.

What are you his manager or something?

He should have stuck around anyway, we were all hosed after 10-15 laps. Only 1 of us managed to complete the race without rolling at least once.

By the end those of us with cars in good condition were helping the damaged cars get back on their wheels and then pushing them round the track so they could get to the pits in a reasonable amount of time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is where my bad driving would have come in handy; i'm always in the back and would have easily won it seems.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Pictures from the first lap of the race

(click for biggie)

yes we nyan
Aug 17, 2007

ha, ha, haaa~

Jarf posted:

He should have stuck around anyway, we were all hosed after 10-15 laps. Only 1 of us managed to complete the race without rolling at least once.

I was planning to, since I could still salvage about 6th - had it in my sights, until my xbox decided to disconnect from live for some reason. Had to restart it and do network test before it would connect again. Rejoined the room afterwards to see if it was still going on. Oh well, next time.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Jarf posted:

I was #15 here, I had an amazing start, flew right through that gap. Lasted until the straight then everyone with a higher top speed than me (aka everyone) blasted by

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

The race was fun for about 7 laps then i decided to practice my 200mph drifting on the back straight.

(#2 GTO)

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Yeah my little Dino at the back there was a pretty good all rounder, most people were faster on the straight, but it caught up in the corners. Crashing it into the pink Corvette to flip it over didn't do work out well for the top speed! (I should have done the right thing and drive past the Corvette into second place).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So any ideas for the next race, I'd be up for one this weekend if anyone else is.

The same time on Friday or Saturday nights are perfect for me.

What about an hour long Laguna Seca with a top limit rwd C class car? (Any car upgraded to the limit or should we set a more limiting factor for cars?)

Logue
Nov 16, 2005

Puddin posted:

So any ideas for the next race, I'd be up for one this weekend if anyone else is.

The same time on Friday or Saturday nights are perfect for me.

What about an hour long Laguna Seca with a top limit rwd C class car? (Any car upgraded to the limit or should we set a more limiting factor for cars?)

I think limiting factors are a good thing when doing long races like these. At the very least, we should put limits on tire compound, tire width, power, a required minimum weight, and whether drivetrain swaps are allowed. In addition, we may want to exclude certain cars (*cough* miata *cough*) to encourage people to choose more diverse/interesting options. Otherwise, its easy just to choose a leaderboard car.

Logue fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 21, 2011

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Logue posted:

I think limiting factors are a good thing when doing long races like these. At the very least, we should put limits on tire compound, tire width, power, a required minimum weight, and whether drivetrain swaps are allowed. In addition, we may want to exclude certain cars (*cough* miata *cough*) to encourage people to choose more diverse/interesting options. Otherwise, its easy just to choose a leaderboard car.

Do you maybe just want to enforce which garage car people are going to use? Them's a lot of requirements.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Logue posted:

I think sports tires is a gimme so that all the cars aren't stuck to the road.

We should definitely do a certain year bracket again, makes things a little more competitive.

Maybe we could agree on 10 cars and players pick from that.

Also maybe if its not frowned upon, we should sort out an endurance organisation thread so we don't poo poo.up this one.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just tried one of the hybrid races on that little rally track using my beige Prius. It's the weirdest event I've seen so far in the game. Occasionally I would manage to break 60 mph on the downhill sections and the car still had trouble handling some of the turns. I wish there was a series for the Leaf...

pilot error
Apr 10, 2008
Can I get an invite to SAEG? GT is Wellgofficinnit

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I finally got a couple shots of my e36 from last Wednesday's race. It's probably too late to earn anything, but it still gives me a chance to post them. Also, please note that this thing was bought, tuned, and painted in the 90 minutes prior to the race.

I was going to make a BMW CCA vinyl this weekend, but Skyrim made me its bitch yet again.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm still butthurt we don't get white rims, but the other colors do look rad as gently caress compared to 3.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm still butthurt we don't get white rims, but the other colors do look rad as gently caress compared to 3.

Ditto. Also, would it kill Turn10 to model some Kosei K-1s? They've got 2 or 3 other Kosei wheels, so why not these?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Heh, the amount of butt hurt guys in the turn 10 chat is pretty funny.

Also, does anyone have any tips on getting photos uploaded to facebook? Mine came out with pretty terrible artifacts.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ditto. Also, would it kill Turn10 to model some Kosei K-1s? They've got 2 or 3 other Kosei wheels, so why not these?

I feel the same way. I love these wheels and own multiple sets.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

j3rkstore posted:

I feel the same way. I love these wheels and own multiple sets.

The closest youll get are the buddyclubs in fm3, the k-1 is pretty much an old buddyclub design anyway. Which might be why they arent included, also this might be why there are no watanabe 8-spokes idk.

Also i bent one of my k-1's :stonk: so now I have a set of indistructable advans and some ssrs that the barrels seem to be made out of tinfoil.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Idiot race posted:

The closest youll get are the buddyclubs in fm3, the k-1 is pretty much an old buddyclub design anyway. Which might be why they arent included, also this might be why there are no watanabe 8-spokes idk.

Also i bent one of my k-1's :stonk: so now I have a set of indistructable advans and some ssrs that the barrels seem to be made out of tinfoil.

I feel like if they were worried about overlap/copies of other wheel designs they would have left Rota's out completely since every one of their wheels seems to be a cheaper copy of someone else's design.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Idiot race posted:

No Watanabe 8-spokes, but Compomotive has a similar Minilite knock-off that I like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't suppose we'll start hearing about the December DLC Pack next week? I'm getting excited at what might be in it. :O The only thing i've heard so far is the rumor of a new Hyundai, that a lot of people seem convinced will be in.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's going to be the 150 Italia, the Ariel Atom and the Yellowbird, and each will cost 1600 points.

The "gently caress You" pack. Also: Spa and Bathurst for 2800 points apiece.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

captainOrbital posted:

It's going to be the 150 Italia, the Ariel Atom and the Yellowbird, and each will cost 1600 points.

The "gently caress You" pack. Also: Spa and Bathurst for 2800 points apiece.

Been waiting for you to post so that it's easy to quote your name.
How is your Ottoracepit going? Any updates to it?

Mine is almost done. Well, a working prototype of it. After using it for a few weeks I'll go have it upholstered and stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still have fingers crossed for a race track DLC pack after the 6 planned car packs come out. I've read rumors that Turn-10 was scanning tracks still, just before Forza 4 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Hello Spaceman posted:

Been waiting for you to post so that it's easy to quote your name.
How is your Ottoracepit going? Any updates to it?

Mine is almost done. Well, a working prototype of it. After using it for a few weeks I'll go have it upholstered and stuff.

I haven't made changes to it in a little while, but what it really needs is a dead pedal to the left of the clutch so I have somewhere to put my foot. Also the fabric stretches over time so I have to restaple it, and the seat that I made from scratch is not so great. I need to source a real car seat from somewhere.

Also the "ottoman top" is too hard to sit on, and too pillowy to put drinks on reliably, so I may just get rid of the padding on the top and restaple the pleather so at least you can put stuff on it.

~~DESIGN REVIIIIISIONS~~

• Locked thread