Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Ninpo posted:

UEFA will. Or are you expecting UEFA to back pedal on the whole FFP thing?

It'd be funny to see the big clubs with their star players say gently caress it and disregard FFP. Who'd watch Champions League without Ronaldo, Messi, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
UEFA aren't going to do poo poo to both Manchester clubs or Barca/Madrid

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

UEFA aren't going to do poo poo to both Manchester clubs or Barca/Madrid

barca, madrid, and man u will be fine- a lot of the "losses" they've reported in the past have been the product of fishy accounting and/or politicking.

man city, yeah, they'll have to get quite a bit of help.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil
But if we do meet all their requirements what are UEFA going to do then? Large parts have been pretty much a transparent attack on City and our owners from the very start so if we stick it to them and conform by their rules and still win it will hurt them that much more. Everyone should want this.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

UEFA will do absolutely gently caress all. FFP is a joke and there will always be a way around it for those who need to. Such a waste of time to try and implement it.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jollzwhin posted:

Large parts have been pretty much a transparent attack on City and our owners from the very start

Yeah, why would rules designed to stop massive unsustainable spending focus on a club based on fossil fuels? UEFA just hates Mancs.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

euroboy posted:

UEFA will do absolutely gently caress all. FFP is a joke and there will always be a way around it for those who need to. Such a waste of time to try and implement it.

This. And it's been obvious for years. Literally from the first time I heard someone explain what it was I said that sugar daddies would just inject cash to artificially boost the clubs income and that's exactly what will happen. City will just sign more insane "sponsorship" deals with middle eastern companies, Madrid will carry on selling plots of lands valued in the tens of thousands to the local government for twenty million. There's no way to stop it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

I don't expect any major football club to face sanctions as a result of FFP.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think you'll find we were talking about Manchester City.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
This article (Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail, sorry) sums up my feelings on FFP nicely

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's a whole lot of :qq: for a bunch of regulations that supposedly do nothing at all.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jollzwhin posted:

But if we do meet all their requirements what are UEFA going to do then? Large parts have been pretty much a transparent attack on City and our owners from the very start so if we stick it to them and conform by their rules and still win it will hurt them that much more. Everyone should want this.

If City winning meant that Sepp Blatter got skewered with a red hot poker then maybe I would consider it for a couple of seconds but I still wouldn't want City to win it, ever.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

This article (Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail, sorry) sums up my feelings on FFP nicely

Sports Journalist of the year? Really?

FFP looks nice enough on paper, I guess it's primary design is to make sure football clubs are run healty financially so idiot owners won't bankrupt them and Pull A Leeds and that's a good thing. That should really be the primary focus and not the Chelseas, Citys, Malagas or PSGs of the world.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

euroboy posted:

Sports Journalist of the year? Really?

FFP looks nice enough on paper, I guess it's primary design is to make sure football clubs are run healty financially so idiot owners won't bankrupt them and Pull A Leeds and that's a good thing. That should really be the primary focus and not the Chelseas, Citys, Malagas or PSGs of the world.

apart from the fact that the Chelseas and Citys are the primary driver for wages and transfer fees going through the stratosphere which causes everyone else to have to spend more money they don't have to try and keep up. Or they don't bother, live within their means like good boys and girls, and never compete for anything ever again.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Grez posted:

apart from the fact that the Chelseas and Citys are the primary driver for wages and transfer fees going through the stratosphere which causes everyone else to have to spend more money they don't have to try and keep up. Or they don't bother, live within their means like good boys and girls, and never compete for anything ever again.

These are all valid points, it's just that I can't see FFP changing it. There will always be way around it for billionaire owners who want to throw their money on a football club. It's the clubs that ruins themselves trying to keep up that should be protected from themselves.

In order to "stop" the Chelsea and Citys in england the Premier League/FA has to clamp down on it and do it and implement the same rules as the germans have. If City starts dominating english football and gets billions of fans worldwide in the process I can't see UEFA wanting to shut them out of european competitions.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

Grez posted:

Isn't that exactly the position that all the rest of the clubs outside of the mega-income stream few are/were in already though?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Basically the only chance smaller clubs have of getting into Europe is to sign foreign players on the cheap, like Tiote, and then sell them after a couple of seasons for significantly more. Then hope you can do this with a number of players every year until the finances are so good you can slowly move into the spending needed to compete in the Champion's league. The problem with this is it'll take 10+ years and requires you finding players for a few million who you'll then be able to sell for a massive profit every year.

And this is never going to happen to anyone, even assuming they were lucky enough to find 2 players a season (as an example) who they can sell for 300-500% profit after getting a couple of good seasons out of them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Basically gently caress the Champions League

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

Isn't that exactly the position that all the rest of the clubs outside of the mega-income stream few are/were in already though?

Yeah, the trouble is FFP as stated, even if it worked, would basically lock in the top few clubs forever.

To a degree it's actually responsible for the current spending because if you can get yourself there now, you'll stay there for a lot longer than that investment would normally mean.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jollzwhin posted:

You say this as if the Manchester City :airquote:project:airquote: was a breath of fresh air for world football, and not instead a crass and insulting edifice of profligacy that forms simply one in an ever-increasing list of monuments to hubris and nepotism created by a antiquated cabal of petty mustachioed Marie Antoinettes, all in their never-ending quest to piss away the last of the planet's wealth and resources in order to find more things to name after themselves.

But other than that, you had a fair point.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

You say this as if the Manchester City :airquote:project:airquote: was a breath of fresh air for world football, and not instead a crass and insulting edifice of profligacy that forms simply one in an ever-increasing list of monuments to hubris and nepotism created by a antiquated cabal of petty mustachioed Marie Antoinettes, all in their never-ending quest to piss away the last of the planet's wealth and resources in order to find more things to name after themselves.

Not so much a breath of fresh air as right at home in world football then?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Reminder that FLJ is a Manchester United fan. The same Manchester United that enjoyed several years of unopposed financial dominance as a result of a league structure heavily weighed in their favour, who is now complaining because Manchester City are spending at a level that his heavily indebted club cannot hope to match.

Irony, delicious etc.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Reminder that FLJ is a Manchester United fan. The same Manchester United that enjoyed several years of unopposed financial dominance as a result of a league structure heavily weighed in their favour, who is now complaining because Manchester City are spending at a level that his heavily indebted club cannot hope to match.

Irony, delicious etc.

I know you think it's evil that United became a PLC but how was the league structure in our favour?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ninpo posted:

I know you think it's evil that United became a PLC but how was the league structure in our favour?

The massive influx of Sky money that ensured that the top stayed there until a Russian gangster, a chicken farmer or an oil sheikh buys their place from them?

Also I don't think that's evil tbh.

I don't see any difference between prize and tv money, and money invested by a new owner.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The massive influx of Sky money that ensured that the top stayed there until a Russian gangster, a chicken farmer or an oil sheikh buys their place from them?

Also I don't think that's evil tbh.

I don't see any difference between prize and tv money, and money invested by a new owner.

The Sky money was evenly distributed though?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ninpo posted:

The Sky money was evenly distributed though?

Prove it.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Prove it.

:laugh:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ninpo posted:

:laugh:

Thought not.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Thought not.

It's general knowledge the TV rights are evenly distributed, if you claim otherwise the burden is on you to prove otherwise.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ninpo posted:

It's general knowledge the TV rights are evenly distributed, if you claim otherwise the burden is on you to prove otherwise.

2009/10:

The differences were even more marked in the early days.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So what are "Facility Fees" and "Merit Payments"? Genuine question because some of those gaps are pushing £20m you'd expect clubs on the thin end of the wedge to complain more, considering the TV agreement is supposed to be equal.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ninpo posted:

So what are "Facility Fees" and "Merit Payments"? Genuine question because some of those gaps are pushing £20m you'd expect clubs on the thin end of the wedge to complain more, considering the TV agreement is supposed to be equal.

It's money paid to football clubs for showing their matches on TV. You'll note that some clubs get many more live matches than others. Merit payments are prize money for final finishing place in the league.

The TV agreement has never been equal, and it's never been 'general knowledge' that it is.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I hope man united go out of business and never return

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pissflaps posted:

It's money paid to football clubs for showing their matches on TV. You'll note that some clubs get many more live matches than others. Merit payments are prize money for final finishing place in the league.

The TV agreement has never been equal, and it's never been 'general knowledge' that it is.

22 million between first and last isn't too bad. I am sure some of the bottom tier Spanish and Italian sides would kill for 30m a year.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

22 million between first and last isn't too bad. I am sure some of the bottom tier Spanish and Italian sides would kill for 30m a year.

That's their problem.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Besides, my point isn't about the unfairness of Sky money distribution, it's about the irony of a Manchester United fan - a club that has broken the British transfer record four times since the Premier league era began - getting upset because the club next door has deeper pockets and they don't want to (or, more accurately, can't) play 'spend all the money' anymore. Because they don't have all the money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pissflaps posted:

Besides, my point isn't about the unfairness of Sky money distribution, it's about the irony of a Manchester United fan - a club that has broken the British transfer record four times since the Premier league era began - getting upset because the club next door has deeper pockets and they don't want to (or, more accurately, can't) play 'spend all the money' anymore. Because they don't have all the money.

The issue I think ninpo has is that United, while they did splooge around cash like a drunken sailor in a 2 for 1 dockyard whorehouse, it at least came from footballing revenue. Have they had somebody like Jack Walker come in and say 'Here is all the money, splooge it and win my child'?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

The issue I think ninpo has is that United, while they did splooge around cash like a drunken sailor in a 2 for 1 dockyard whorehouse, it at least came from footballing revenue. Have they had somebody like Jack Walker come in and say 'Here is all the money, splooge it and win my child'?

What's the difference?

Why is Manchester United being able to sell a million more shirts to Malaysians more creditable than an Arabian giving his spare change to a club?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pissflaps posted:

What's the difference?

Why is Manchester United being able to sell a million more shirts to Malaysians more creditable than an Arabian giving his spare change to a club?

I don't think there really is one, I was just trying to get across ninpo's ideas as I understand them. I do think if there were less jack walkers and roman abramovichs then football wages and transfer fees probably wouldn't have ballooned as far as they had.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Imo every club sells football shirts but not every club gets given half a billion pounds to spend on players by an oil cartel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Pissflaps is once again The Wise Man. I support 'flaps.

• Locked thread