Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

sebzilla posted:

The first couple of series were sort of alright. Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeyKojNj19c&feature=related#t=10m55s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

James Blunt is pretty great on buzzcocks tonight.

One of the better hosts this series. For all the crap he gets, Blunt always seems genuinely funny and a really good sport when I see him on TV.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

incredible bear posted:

If for some reason you're a failure of a human being and haven't seen it before, The Incredibles is on iPlayer.

Otherwise, it's interesting that a "Disney" film is viewable online for free, surely a first?

Man, it feels the The Incredibles is on iPlayer every 10 months.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Szmitten posted:

Man, it feels the The Incredibles is on iPlayer every 10 months.

I have actually watched it on iPlayer before so yeah

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

One of the better hosts this series. For all the crap he gets, Blunt always seems genuinely funny and a really good sport when I see him on TV.

Adam Buxton was the best by miles.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The thing about Blunt is that he never disputes any of the frequent knocks against him (he's a toff, he's set out with at least half an eye on Having A Career rather than just making music, he was way overpromoted with You're Beautiful, he uses songwriters and session players rather than mates "because I didn't have any mates in bands, I was a toff!", sometimes he doesn't write his songs himself, he has a very high voice), he refuses to buy into Being A Celebrity any more than is necessary to sell records, and he absolutely doesn't take himself seriously.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sebzilla posted:

Adam Buxton was the best by miles.

He an alien or sutin!

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
It was never the same when Mark Lamarr left :(

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

BizarroAzrael posted:

He an alien or sutin!

You are just jealous because he is the only peopl on planet made from gods sperm whereas you are made from poo poo sperm

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
James Blunt is definitely up there with Buckulese, though it felt like half of the time the camera was on Millican, they were just getting her to say things, like some kind of accent zoo.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

OrthoTrot posted:

I'll keep watching it though, I just think that song was really, really, disappointing.

I have to agree, though I have to think it was just piss-poor execution, since the rest of the immigrant sub-plot didn't really match the tone of the song at all.

This week's song was one of the highlights of the episode for me. Weird.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can someone name me a worse British sitcom than All About Me? I'm curious to see if such a thing exists

Captain Butler. Anyone remember that peice of poo poo? I watched a bit of the first episode on 4oD just to reassure myself that it wasn't just some bad dream I had as a child.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
"He's ruined the birthday of a human being."

Him & Her is amazing tonight.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Dan is the best character. 'He's visiting a horse...'

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Phoneshop is quite funny this series some quality lines

'she's got 3 kids bruv...I ain't being no spunkle to them"

"what you saying? You want to take a trip to glitter town?"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Leyburn posted:

Captain Butler. Anyone remember that peice of poo poo? I watched a bit of the first episode on 4oD just to reassure myself that it wasn't just some bad dream I had as a child.

Yeah, Captain Butler is depressingly unfunny.

I've really got to stop eating when watching Him And Her. Ick.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 23, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it me, or is the Benedict Cumberbacht HIGNFY repeated disproportionatly often? Not complaining, it's probably one of the best episodes of recent years, but I think I'm seeing it for the fifth time or so.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
This Ian hislop bankers doc is great, id recommend it. It'll be on iplayer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Makes you wonder where all the rich people who were good with money and had the will to do good and charity for the country went :(

Instead of the heartless smug tossers now. Not that they are anything new though, they sadly now seem to be the majority.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Makes you wonder where all the rich people who were good with money and had the will to do good and charity for the country went :(

It makes me wonder where all the unicorns went

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

They only ever existed in the imagination of Julian Fellowes.

(I remain convinced that Downton Abbey is the Tory party's greatest PR tool since Nick Clegg)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Down here in Cornwall, quite a lot of our town and village facilities were funded and open by a handful of rich philanthropists during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

They seemed to be the only people really who cared. Everyone else seems to picture Cornwall as the Shire and doesn't want anything down to ruin the magical trees and Hobbit people to this day. I'm just bitter lately as the council binned any hope of work ever for the current future of my town and it looks like London for my future then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shut up and get back down the tin mines.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
No Eastenders thread? Shame. Tonight was a cracking episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

Shut up and get back down the tin mines.

Tories closed them in the eighties. Thats just cruel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm just bitter lately as the council binned any hope of work ever for the current future of my town and it looks like London for my future then.

Don't do it, unless you like living in a shoebox which you have to share with a bunch of cunts.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ShortLeroy posted:

No Eastenders thread? Shame. Tonight was a cracking episode.

You're right, it WAS a cracking episode

I'd probably post in a thread if there was one (it'd most likely just be you and me but oh well)

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I'd probably post in a thread if there was one (it'd most likely just be you and me but oh well)

Is this is a pun, is Phil Mitchell back on crack?

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I thought tonight's Life's Too Short was absolutely brilliant. Best thing Ricky Gervais has ever done imo. Warwick Davis owns, the results of the youtube comments and the extras bit were awful (in a good way). I like how this show is just Extras but centred around the complete humiliation of the Warwick Davis character. It's nasty as hell but I like it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Daius posted:

Is this is a pun, is Phil Mitchell back on crack?

Unfortunately not. There is a new character called Derek who is way too cartoonishly menacing not to stick around. Also lots of cancer angst.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wafflecop posted:

I thought tonight's Life's Too Short was absolutely brilliant. Best thing Ricky Gervais has ever done imo. Warwick Davis owns, the results of the youtube comments and the extras bit were awful (in a good way). I like how this show is just Extras but centred around the complete humiliation of the Warwick Davis character. It's nasty as hell but I like it.

I think it's pretty bad to be honest. I've got the same problem with it that I've got with the US version of The Office - it's supposed to be a fake/parody documentary style, but all pretence is lost straight away because the scenarios are so outrageous. It's like they've thrown together The Office and Extras (with Davis straight up playing David Brent), and watched a lot of Curb Your Enthusiasm at the same time, and disregarded that they're different types of comedy, and what made The Office work is different to what makes something like Curb Your Enthusiasm work. Also, let's be honest, it seems like a lot of it is lifted straight out of Extras and The Office.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Davis isn't even a remotely sympathetic or interesting character. I get the central joke; hes a small man with a gigantic ego, but beyond that theres no complexity to him. And apparently either everyone in the world hates him or doesn't have a clue who he is, so you wonder where on earth he gets his self-importance from, because theres nothing in his every day life that appears to be fueling it.

What I'm trying to say is that at the moment, "Life's Too Short" isn't working and I think the biggest reason why is how they've utterly dropped the ball on the central character.

That said, the guest stars have been fantastic. But its not enough when everything else on the show is just poo poo.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

And me. I love Eastenders. I have to get my parents and brother watching again late November so they know what's going on when we watch all the Christmassy episodes. Otherwise I'm stuck explaining, "No no no, that's his granddaughter and she slept with that boy to see if he was gay but he's totally gay because he implied that that guy touched him but she's not going to school anymore and oh his partner left him and y'know."

Tonight was great though. The actress playing Tanya is totally going to the awards this year.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Gorn Myson posted:

Davis isn't even a remotely sympathetic or interesting character. I get the central joke; hes a small man with a gigantic ego, but beyond that theres no complexity to him. And apparently either everyone in the world hates him or doesn't have a clue who he is, so you wonder where on earth he gets his self-importance from, because theres nothing in his every day life that appears to be fueling it.

What I'm trying to say is that at the moment, "Life's Too Short" isn't working and I think the biggest reason why is how they've utterly dropped the ball on the central character.

That said, the guest stars have been fantastic. But its not enough when everything else on the show is just poo poo.
I'm just watching the second episode now, and it's so tired. The awkward wedding speech, crowd in silence, Warwick digging himself deeper. Seen it all before a million times. The Office mastered that stuff, but that was ten years ago and it's like they haven't noticed that everyone else in British comedy has been expanding on it and moving past it since then. Johnny Depp was pretty good, got into the spirit, but the whole thing falls so flat when the novelty of Ricky Gervais' Hollywood mates aren't there.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 25, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Y'all just racist against mythical creatures.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That was a really great episode of Eastenders, it had a pregnancy scare, euthanasia, cancer, shoplifting, and alcohol abuse all in one family. Derek could be a great character, although he was a bit cartoonishly meanacing with Pat.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just chiming in to say I thought the latest episode of Frozen Planet was one of the most incredible documentaries I've ever seen. It amazes me how their teams seem to find the most amazing scenes, like the Bison being hunted by the wolves, and that ice which freezes the sea floor from the surface and decimates those echinoderms. I was just in awe at all of it. Every David Attenborough documentary I see solidifies my decision to be an Ecologist.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Frozen Planet was really good. I don't have a HD tv as my eyesight is poo poo, but I couldn't really imagine how much clearer the penguins jumping out of the water could really be.

There's a series on bbc4 at the moment called Old Jews Telling Jokes, which is just old jews telling jokes for half an hour. It's good.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Hoops posted:

I'm just watching the second episode now, and it's so tired. The awkward wedding speech, crowd in silence, Warwick digging himself deeper. Seen it all before a million times. The Office mastered that stuff, but that was ten years ago and it's like they haven't noticed that everyone else in British comedy has been expanding on it and moving past it since then. Johnny Depp was pretty good, got into the spirit, but the whole thing falls so flat when the novelty of Ricky Gervais' Hollywood mates aren't there.

I think tired is the best word for it yeah. It just gets boring real quick when the punchline of a scene is inevitably gonna be "hurr hurr he's disabled, geddit? ooooh isn't that awkward?"

Even the cameos get tired really quick, when all the guest starts essentially play the same character of "Fame's gone to my head. I have no self awareness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

justcola posted:

There's a series on bbc4 at the moment called Old Jews Telling Jokes, which is just old jews telling jokes for half an hour. It's good.

At first I was unconvinced, but then somebody laughed for five straight minutes at her own joke. Give this show a BAFTA.