Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fire In The Disco posted:

Should be getting my birthday present, which is a Kindle Touch, actually on my birthday this week. I'm pretty stoked, as the 5 way button on my DX broke recently, and so I can read the same book that I am on but not scroll on the home screen to pick a new book. :rolleyes: One annoyance, though, is that they didn't get the Touch's lighted case done in time for the release of the device. That seems really ridiculous.

In case this happens to anybody else, Amazon has a program where you can mail back your broken kindle and get a new one at a reduced price. When my second gen one broke this fall (5-way went crazy), I mailed it in and paid sixty bucks for a then-current one with 3G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I am finally going to buy an e-reader and I have a few questions.

1. If money is not a limitation, is there a single best e-reader out there?

2. I see some people in this thread buying the kindle fire and talking about it here. Does it have any of the properties of an E-reader? I didn't think it did. I spent a long time trying to decide between a tablet or an e-reader, and in the end I realized my primary desire is to get the product that let's me read as comfortably as possible, and I don't enjoy reading off of my LCD monitors at home.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
1. All ereaders are in approximately the same price range ($100-200 new), so there's no uber-reader that everyone would buy if they were rich (except maybe this). The key players are the brands in the thread title, with Sony probably having the most expensive options. You'll get different answers from everyone about the objective best reader - I can't imagine how anyone could use a reader without a touchscreen like my Sony PRS-350 :)

2. It's an LCD screen, so I'd probably still go with an e-ink screen for intensive reading if you're uncomfortable reading on your monitor.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Hey could anyone with a kobo touch tell me if they updated the firmware to allow you to view books and images in landscape mode like pdfs.

If not how smooth is moving through pdfs. Some videos it appears fairly smooth but has anyone had experience with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anecdotally, I don't like reading from a monitor for a long time either, but I don't mind reading from my Kindle Fire for a long time. I figured it'd be fine since I don't mind reading on my phone. When I root my Fire, I am going to find different brightness controls (right now the lowest setting is a little too high for me -- I got spoiled by Stanza on my iPhone), but it's not a big deal. I absolutely couldn't handle reading from an e-ink device for long before I threw it through the wall.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MasterBuilder posted:

Hey could anyone with a kobo touch tell me if they updated the firmware to allow you to view books and images in landscape mode like pdfs.

No.

quote:

If not how smooth is moving through pdfs. Some videos it appears fairly smooth but has anyone had experience with it.

It's no better than before.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Megasabin posted:

So I am finally going to buy an e-reader and I have a few questions.

1. If money is not a limitation, is there a single best e-reader out there?

Maybe the absolutely best one might be the Kindle DX. Only because of the size, so if you're reading a lot of PDFs, it's nice. Otherwise, the size might not be a great advantage for general reading.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I absolutely couldn't handle reading from an e-ink device for long before I threw it through the wall.

Out of curiosity, what is it about e-ink that bothers you? I've heard a lot of people (myself included) say that reading a backlit screen gives them eyestrain, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they outright hated e-ink.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Dickeye posted:

In case this happens to anybody else, Amazon has a program where you can mail back your broken kindle and get a new one at a reduced price. When my second gen one broke this fall (5-way went crazy), I mailed it in and paid sixty bucks for a then-current one with 3G.

Huh. I wonder if it would do anything for me to contact customer service now and explain that I got the new touch because of the broken button on the DX...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

spixxor posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it about e-ink that bothers you? I've heard a lot of people (myself included) say that reading a backlit screen gives them eyestrain, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they outright hated e-ink.
The flashing. It drives me absolutely up the wall. I read quickly, so even if it doesn't flash at every page turn, it still happens so often that I feel like I'm reading under a strobe light.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Thats such a non-issue I hardly notice it now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

teraflame posted:

Thats such a non-issue I hardly notice it now.

Ditto, and it wasn't particularly bright or obnoxious to begin with.

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
Afternoon Chaps,

I'm new to this Kindle malarky and I used to read books using Ereader on a very small laptop.

I have plenty of books in Ereader format and PDF format, can you get these "imported" into the readers?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Siggers posted:

Afternoon Chaps,

I'm new to this Kindle malarky and I used to read books using Ereader on a very small laptop.

I have plenty of books in Ereader format and PDF format, can you get these "imported" into the readers?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Convert to .mobi, copy to the documents folder of your kindle, done.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I don't really notice the screen flash, since my eyes are moving back to the top of the page when it happens anyways.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Maybe you could solve the problem by blinking at the same time as pressing the page turn button.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I guess I can believe some people find the page refreshing annoying but yeah, by the time my eyes have gone from the bottom of the page up to the top of the new one, it's already refreshed. It's certainly a hell of a lot quicker than physically turning the page of a book.

Remember those those things? How the hell did I cope with those archaic monstrosities?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Junkenstein posted:

I guess I can believe some people find the page refreshing annoying but yeah, by the time my eyes have gone from the bottom of the page up to the top of the new one, it's already refreshed. It's certainly a hell of a lot quicker than physically turning the page of a book.

Remember those those things? How the hell did I cope with those archaic monstrosities?
I have the hardback edition of 11/22/63. My wrists are already shot from playing Skyward Sword and trying to pull 50k words for NaNoWriMo. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this book.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Maybe if you're having to jack the font size up to the point that there are only 40 words or less on the screen at a time, the flash could get annoying if you read fast.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, the flash hasn't ever bothered me either. I think the first time I saw it I thought "Huh, weird" because I didn't know that was how e-ink worked. Can't say I've thought about it since. Plus I tend to get immersed in whatever I'm reading to the point that I actually won't hear people trying to talk to me, so maybe that helps.

Different strokes I guess, I can't fathom how anyone could read on an backlit screen for any amount of time without feeling like their eyes are going to fall out of their skull but eh.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sperg Victorious posted:

Maybe if you're having to jack the font size up to the point that there are only 40 words or less on the screen at a time, the flash could get annoying if you read fast.

Yeah, I have the font on the lowest or second lowest size. I read quickly, but you get a good number of words per screen flash, honestly.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wrong thread !

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
My regular Kindle is great, but it sucks for things like pdfs of textbooks or stuff with lots of important photo content. How is the Fire as a textbook pdf reader?

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"

Arnold of Soissons posted:

My regular Kindle is great, but it sucks for things like pdfs of textbooks or stuff with lots of important photo content. How is the Fire as a textbook pdf reader?

I actually played with a Fire yesterday for that purpose. Got some textbook pdfs that are just horrible with Kindles especially because of the tables and charts. I'd say it does a pretty good job since I don't have to automatically zoom to 150% on half of one page and read one half of a sentence before flipping to the next page like on a regular kindle.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Planning on jumping into this whole e-reader malarky with a Kindle Touch. Seems reasonable at $99, the battery life seems pretty good, and I like the size of Amazon's library. The supported file types are nice as well, particularly the PDF support.

In addition to the normal reading I'll be doing with the thing, I've got a number of RPG PDF's that I'd like to throw on it for reference purposes while playing. Anyone have any experience trying that, or just any info on the PDF performance at all?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

PDFs are a common question. There is also an ereader thread in IYG, read the OP and skim through that thread and this one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RickVoid posted:

Planning on jumping into this whole e-reader malarky with a Kindle Touch. Seems reasonable at $99, the battery life seems pretty good, and I like the size of Amazon's library. The supported file types are nice as well, particularly the PDF support.

In addition to the normal reading I'll be doing with the thing, I've got a number of RPG PDF's that I'd like to throw on it for reference purposes while playing. Anyone have any experience trying that, or just any info on the PDF performance at all?

I can't speak to the new kindles (fire/touch), but on the old standard kindles, pdf support was like cellphone internet -- technically there but the implementation is wonky and klunky and annoying. You can read a PDF on it, but ultimately small screen size is small screen size.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Anybody who says they're ok with reading complicated PDFs (like you'd see in an RPG manual) on an eInk device is either crazy or has the patience of a saint. Get a tablet device with an LCD screen if you're going to spend lots of time with PDFs.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
I wish the title of this thread was Nook/Kindle/Kobo/Sony - No, Kindles suck at PDFs, get a tablet

I read one of my textbooks on the Kindle sometimes, because it has narrow columns, but I still use the physical book when I'm doing anything more complicated than reading. I would quickly go insane if I was trying to use a non-linear, reference book on it like that.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any e-ink screen that does PDFs well? It's not a limitation of the reader - PDFs are designed to be easily printable and transferable, and to do that they entirely sacrifice reflowability. E-ink is no more suited to PDF than it is to a family photo album. PDF also requires way more processing power than the equivalent text.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
I think one of the biggest hurtles is that most PDFs are letter sized, and most E-ink devices have a small screen (excluding the DX.) The text will look tiny and it's hard zoom in without having to scroll over every line. That's why I mentioned columned PDFs are sometimes not bad.

Another limitation I can think of is the lack of color. Not always a big deal, but looking at maps and charts is terrible.

E-ink will probably never be that amazing with them given these two present qualities.

I do wonder how that Nook with an LCD display does with PDFs, thoughts anyone?

Diseased Dick Guy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2011

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Like DDG said, the typical PDF is designed to be printed on A4 paper. So when you're looking at it on an ereader the screen isn't nearly as big as an A4 paper (excluding the Kindle DX). The nook is a little better with PDFs that can be reflowed, but it's hit and miss from what people have said.

To give you a good idea about the paper size thing:

You're having to view a page that size on a screen that small with PDFs.

Some examples of actual content:

Fit to screen

Selecting what to zoom in on

Displaying in actual size. You'll have to pan and scroll.

Changing orientation at fit to screen.

Actual size with different orientation.
There are different levels of zoom, but you'll still have to pan and scroll.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 29, 2011

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My Kindle seems to be broken. Whenever I try to turn it on, only an odd 1"x2" patch in the lower left of the screen actually does anything. The rest is stuck on screensaver.

That's not the worst part though. The screensaver it's stuck on is Emily Dickinson.

OH GOD THE EYES :gonk:

Hopefully Amazon CS can do something about it when I get home in a week or so.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I sat on mine and the exact same thing happened. I broke the screen and amazon gave me a big discount to buy the same model kindle. I bought the new kindle (no keyboard) instead.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I was wondering what's the largest number of times anyone has had Amazon replace their Kindle - i'm considering calling them today for my third replacement since I got one for Christmas last year. I feel like i'm doing something horribly wrong - mine seem to break for no reason I can fathom, while my wife got a Kindle a month after me, shoves it around in her purse and pays no special attention to it and has never had a problem. I'm wondering if they'll even replace it - if not, maybe i'll pick up the Touch since it seems pretty cool.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fahrenheit 451 finally in e-book format. Despite Bradbury's raging hatred of the format (and internet in general):

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ed-ebooks.shtml

I think a science fiction writer like Ray Bradbury is a sobering example that all of us are capable of becoming chronic Luddites in our old age.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

SlightButSteady posted:

Fahrenheit 451 finally in e-book format. Despite Bradbury's raging hatred of the format (and internet in general):

I think a science fiction writer like Ray Bradbury is a sobering example that all of us are capable of becoming chronic Luddites in our old age.

My... my childhood ... ruined by my hero being a cranky old idiot. sigh.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SlightButSteady posted:

The article is completely right. Pricing the e-book at $9.99 makes it really hard to justify buying it. I love this book personally as it is my favorite book. I was really looking forward to getting it for my Kindle but that price is going to keep me from getting it.

Maybe it will be a daily deal some time in the future and I can get it for cheap.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Drunk Tomato posted:

My... my childhood ... ruined by my hero being a cranky old idiot. sigh.

As we push deeper into the digital age, you're going to find a lot of seniors who don't trust the permanence of anything you can't hold in your hand or anchor to the ground. Unfortunately, they seem to be running a lot of the major publishing houses at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ray Bradbury always been that way? He doesn't even drive. I think it's pretty predictable that he would be a technophobe, his stories don't usually favor technology. "There Will Come Soft Rains," "The Veldt," etc. Even "The Fog Horn" seems to demonize lighthouses.

Crotchety old man.

• Locked thread