Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I never played it but wasn't 7th Saga pretty much a wRPG? At least that's the impression I got.

Not really, no. Other than the bleak atmosphere, it's a JRPG through and through. It's also exceptionally grindy if you don't use a fan-patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

iastudent posted:

I decided to give Neverwinter Nights 2 a spin, but when I go to create a character, no body loads to show what I look like. I already ran the updater to get it to the latest version. :confused:

Did you install it recently? Anything in your Overrides folder?

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.

Ogre Battle might be up your alley. You'll have to consult a guide to answer the beginning questions properly in order to make your hero the class you want though. And there are a lot of numbers, but you can't necessarily directly manipulate them. You have to kind of influence them with varying actions.

The heavy level of customization comes from squad composition and soldier class management and map tactics. You could make a squad of glass cannon wizards or swordsmen that are fairly defenseless but can slice through just about anything, or give your hero's squad a complement of knights and priests, making you just about undefeatable. Oh, and there's also the original SNES Tactics Ogre, if you can find a translation.

And regarding the Ultima games on SNES, I didn't think Ultima 6 was -that- bad. It could be considered an early victim of consolized ports, but it actually stood fairly well on its own if you're not an Ultima purist. Given that no new SNES games are ever coming out, you might as well give everything a try.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Ultima_VI:_The_False_Prophet/PC-SNES_differences

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
For those of you who have yet to pick 'em up, XSEED's Falcom RPGs (the Ys games and Trails in the Sky) are all massively discounted today:

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Heroes-Trails-Sky-Sony-PSP/dp/B004BV5O0U/ref=pd_cp_vg_1

http://www.amazon.com/YS-Oath-Felghana-Sony-PSP/dp/B003U3UXUQ/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

http://www.amazon.com/Ys-Seven-Sony-PSP/dp/B003O21OWY/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

There are some hardcore good deals in there and all those games own if you haven't played them already.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's days like this when I'm really reminded at how terrible the Canadian version of these retailers are. Just...just poo poo.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Were Trails in the Sky and Oath in Felghana made with the same engine? They look awfully similar.

Also, speaking of Oath in Felghana, are all the bosses as stupid as the first two? I quit playing after beating the 2nd one because I don't think I can take a whole game of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Also, speaking of Oath in Felghana, are all the bosses as stupid as the first two? I quit playing after beating the 2nd one because I don't think I can take a whole game of that.

Depends what you mean by 'stupid'? All the bosses are pretty difficult and require a lot of pattern recognition and good timing, though I don't remember any more like the second one where you're just avoiding obvious attacks and chucking magic down a hallway (basically).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah I just mean doing the same thing over and over again for 10 minutes like the 2nd boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I just mean doing the same thing over and over again for 10 minutes like the 2nd boss.

That's easily the worst boss in the game. (Apart from the last boss, personally, but only because I still can't beat him. Er, it. :( )

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is Tecmo still working on the Monster Rancher series or did they let that die a quiet death? I can't even remember the last game they came out with other than the the last PS2 one years ago.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Has anyone who hated Oblivion tried Skyrim? If so, how did you like it?

I hate Bethesda and everything they stand for, but I'm still thinking of renting Skyrim. This happens every time they release a game. I'm just too optimistic I guess; I don't want to hate any game.

I know there's the whole subforum devoted to Skyrim, but I don't think anyone there will be very receptive to my question.

Okay

so

they took the complaint that all the caves in Oblivion was the same and actually put 3 minutes of effort into making the dungeons in Skyrim more unique. While they pulled this off to some extent in that at least the environments are a little more varied and there is the occasional puzzle to distract you they didn't quite catch the spirit; every cave is a slog through trash mobs numbering maybe 3-4 enemies tops (I'm not sure whether because of console limitations or laziness) with a boss at the end that's a damage sponge and often preceded by waves of the same 3-4 enemies you've been fighting in the cave so far. Your reward for this? Maybe like 75 gold and some steel boots, an upgrade from the iron boots you're wearing. Along the way you'll find countless urns and boxes with 3 gold and a potion of minor healing and maybe the occasional chest with 100 gold and a potion of regular healing. Not that the trash loot matters because you can abuse the broken alchemy and enchanting system to make stuff a million times better (a good thing!) but it does magnify how lovely the loot is constantly and that you have to trudge through boring dungeons to get them is insult to injury

the plot and writing is like... i actually wish they just pawned that part off to bioware. It shames me to have to say that. Often you'll have dialogue options consisting of exactly one (1) option. That option is "feed me more exposition about this stupid fetch quest that's going to clutter up my misc quests category even more bored sounding voice actor." People complained about having lots of samey options in New Vegas (and many other rpgs) that just lead to the exact same response. Well it turns out that's there for a reason cause it helps define the character the way you want even if the choice aspect is completely illusory, being forced to be a one choice sock puppet is not fun or interesting. The same problem with Oblivion still exists, uninteresting writing read by the same bored sounding five (up from two and Patrick Stewart) voice actors. My favorite character in the game is the guard who sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger cause at least he sounds enthusiastic.

You have this whole world to explore, but nothing you do in it has any meaning outside of like the civil war quest line and the main one. I became head cool fighter guy of the fighters guild (after probably the most boring quest line since the brotherhood of steel in new vegas) but no one gave a poo poo except the occasional guard who would go "have you heard there's a new leader of the tuff guy fighters guild?" (yes actually.) I didn't get to direct my guild in any meaningful way; after completing all the companion quests my reward was unlimited radiant fetch quests that were something I should just be sending initiates on. In Baldur's Gate 2, a game that came out a million years ago, I could direct a whole keep or thieve's guild or train magic initiates of my own. But really what was worse was that it didn't mean anything. I continued on the main quest and was laughably made a thane, given the option to purchase a home, and given my own little companion. I'm boss of the fighters guild, I'm already more than a thane, have my own home for being such a badass, and have a little army (well like five guys but that's almost as much as the whole keep has) at my disposal. gently caress you, I'm taking over this whole lovely place. Except I can't. Then I went to the thieves guild and everyone treated me like a lowly initiate bitch and I turned off the game.

Those are my biggest complaints but I could really go on. The draw of the game is fighting dragons, but since they're level scaled to you they're rarely pose more of a challenge than the end bosses you run into at the end of dungeons giants end up being much scarier. Your character is the One Super Cool Guy Chosen One which was a tired rpg trope like twenty years ago. Insta kills are ripped out of Fallout 3's vats (they even make that bizarre metallic screeching sound sometimes even though you're slicing up a spider), look awkward, take you out of the game, and is emasculating when unavoidably done to you by some random guard not to mention frustrating. Level scaling isn't as stupid as Oblivion, but if you go hog wild with smithing and alchemy and enchanting and lock picking and all the other passive skills you're still going to run into suddenly tougher bandits and zombies and spiders (the game loves bandits and zombies and spiders) in the next area you run into. Apparently they heard the chosen one can now craft 24% better healing potions and raided an armory. Oh and finally there's the awful ui for the pc version which they very obviously put zero effort into except to the extent to make sure it's there.

So while I would say in some ways it was an improvement from Oblivion (a very low bench mark) in a lot of ways it's more of the same and adds some annoying new problems

Coolio fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 26, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

iastudent posted:

Is Tecmo still working on the Monster Rancher series or did they let that die a quiet death? I can't even remember the last game they came out with other than the the last PS2 one years ago.

The most recent Monster Rancher game was Monster Rancher DS. It was game developed in 2008, but only localized in 2010.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

I know exactly what your talking about, the first 2 bosses are bullshit. However, in my opinion, all of them are like that. But on the 3rd boss, the difficultly spikes incredibly and your in for alot of grinding.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

All the bosses in Oath in Felghana work on a pattern and you have to figure out what the pattern is and how to accurately counter it. The bosses shouldn't be taking 10 minutes to beat that early in the game though.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Coolio posted:

Your reward for this? Maybe like 75 gold and some steel boots, an upgrade from the iron boots you're wearing.

I don't really want to waste time with the rest of your critique but try playing the game for more than five hours before you say dumb things like this. The loot is balanced around your level and yes, at the beginning of the game you'll get a pittance of gold and some mediocre equipment at the end of a dungeon. This changes, as well as the length of the dungeons, later in the game.

Coolio posted:

Those are my biggest complaints but I could really go on. The draw of the game is fighting dragons, but since they're level scaled to you they're rarely pose more of a challenge than the end bosses you run into at the end of dungeons giants end up being much scarier.

Turn up the difficulty.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.

Shin Megami Tensei I-II are heavily inspired by Wizardry, and are most similar to Wizardry III in that you have a small cast of human characters supported by a huge variety of summoned demons you can manage and fuse. They are technically jrpgs as they come from Japan, but they're about as western as a jrpg gets.

No classes as such, though, so if that's a deal-breaker you may not enjoy them. The main character can't cast any spells so you're pretty much stuck with building him as a generic fighter or gunman.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

The most recent Monster Rancher game was Monster Rancher DS. It was game developed in 2008, but only localized in 2010.

How is that one? I'm already guessing like the other non-disc games that there's no way of getting monsters from reading DS carts.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

casual poster posted:

I know exactly what your talking about, the first 2 bosses are bullshit. However, in my opinion, all of them are like that. But on the 3rd boss, the difficultly spikes incredibly and your in for alot of grinding.

How are the first boss fights bullshit? The first one uses really blatant pattern recognition and makes you learn how to dodge poo poo by well-placed jumping, the second is basically the same way, and you don't need to grind for the third one at all unless you're trying to brute force it.

The game has some hard as poo poo bosses particularly if you play on later difficulties and don't grind for every boss (which you'll probably do on nightmare mode but isn't mandatory otherwise) but it's never unfair.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

a lovely poster posted:

I don't really want to waste time with the rest of your critique but try playing the game for more than five hours before you say dumb things like this. The loot is balanced around your level and yes, at the beginning of the game you'll get a pittance of gold and some mediocre equipment at the end of a dungeon. This changes, as well as the length of the dungeons, later in the game.

Yes it changes, you get a slightly less pittance of gold (to be spent on training skills and doll houses cause there isn't anything else spending gold on) and dwarven boots instead of steel boots. Exciting!

I was so happy when I finally did a dungeon that didn't just give me something from a scaled loot list that I didn't even care that the weapon that was supposed to be emblematic of a god was inferior to the common stuff I was already wearing just because it was unique.

a lovely poster posted:

Turn up the difficulty.

Now whatever happened to not "wasting time with the rest of your critique"

Coolio fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 26, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

iastudent posted:

How is that one? I'm already guessing like the other non-disc games that there's no way of getting monsters from reading DS carts.

You had to draw on a canvas to create your monsters. It was good enough for a Monster Rancher game despite feeling dated. There was a thread about it here, but I'm pretty sure it's archived now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does the FF13-2 Asian version come with both English subs and Japanese voice track? I know FF13 International; Asian version does.

[e]Er, I misread the press release. It definitely does - nevermind.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Ys 1 and 2 has a bigass tower you have to climb to face off the end boss. Does that count?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nene. posted:

Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

Baldur's Gate I with expansion has Durlag's Tower, easily the most epic romp I've ever seen in an RPG.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Persona 3 is pretty much all in a giant tower. Azure Dreams also was all in a tower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nene. posted:

There's the Fanatic's Tower in FF6, but it's a pretty small part of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Does the FF13-2 Asian version come with both English subs and Japanese voice track? I know FF13 International; Asian version does.

[e]Er, I misread the press release. It definitely does - nevermind.

I'd double check to be sure. They said something similar about FFXIII and it turned out to be false.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

nene. posted:

Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers?

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight has some very large pieces of architecture that you can get up on top of, and even hurl yourself off of without penalty.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I'd double check to be sure. They said something similar about FFXIII and it turned out to be false.
You mean the original? Yeah. The Asian International version definitely does. But it has to be the Asian version, not the Japanese version. It seems weird for sure. Thankfully Asian isn't much more expensive to import.

I'll probably wait for release to hear definitely, all I got is the press report from before and yeah.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

nene. posted:

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne has a couple really huge towers.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

nene. posted:

Every. Single. SMT game. Not even kidding.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

nene. posted:

Resonance of Fate takes place on a single tower-like building for the whole game. It's not really a traditionally styled tower, but it's close enough.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire takes place in a huge tower. It's old, and clunky, though.

Resonance of Fate also takes place on a big tower. It's kinda weird, but I enjoyed it.

Persona 3 is the best option here.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

nene. posted:

The Ar tonelico series takes place on various giant towers/tower-like structures in its world, though that in itself doesn't make them really worth playing.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Wow I'm on the 3rd character in Odin Sphere and it is probably the only jrpg with a plot that I've actually liked. I like the way you have to piece the story together and the first 3 characters so far haven't been super annoying (Gwendolyn got a little close, but it balanced out because her story made her out as a psychopath). It's kinda repetitive but I'm interested to see where the story goes. I'd say Muramasa is a better game but Odin Sphere definitely wins in the story department.

Also I've played about 20+ hours of skyrim and its flaws are really start to show and I've pretty much avoided random dungeon diving unless it's quest related.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
More on towers: BoF V, Dragon Quarter. Maybe that's cheating, but technically you ARE trying to reach the highest floor for the entire game. It should count plus it's a good game. :colbert:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

nene. posted:

Rouge Galaxy has two towers you have to climb, you need to use each tower to climb the other one, cause shortcuts in one tower lead to the other tower, its really a big clusterfuck that I sank 5 hours into before finding a map online. Oh and also each tower has a boss fight.

Jowy posted:

How are the first boss fights bullshit? The first one uses really blatant pattern recognition and makes you learn how to dodge poo poo by well-placed jumping, the second is basically the same way, and you don't need to grind for the third one at all unless you're trying to brute force it.

The game has some hard as poo poo bosses particularly if you play on later difficulties and don't grind for every boss (which you'll probably do on nightmare mode but isn't mandatory otherwise) but it's never unfair.

It might of been 7 and not Oath I had played, and I know I didn't really give it a fair shake. For some reason the gameplay didn't catch on for me, I just found it childish (press X than press a bumper button for some magic) which is ridiculous though because I loved the hell out of Star Ocean series. I think when it comes down to it I just didn't give the game a fair shake, so before talking poo poo on it I should try playing it again (I stopped after the 3rd boss).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Ys 1 and 2 has a bigass tower you have to climb to face off the end boss. Does that count?

In that vein, the entirety of Ys Origin is that same bigass tower, however many hundreds of years prior. It's also pretty good.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

casual poster posted:

It might of been 7 and not Oath I had played, and I know I didn't really give it a fair shake. For some reason the gameplay didn't catch on for me, I just found it childish (press X than press a bumper button for some magic) which is ridiculous though because I loved the hell out of Star Ocean series. I think when it comes down to it I just didn't give the game a fair shake, so before talking poo poo on it I should try playing it again (I stopped after the 3rd boss).

Well, 7's the one where you have an actual party with you if that helps you remember any easier but it didn't really have magic, it just had actual physical skills for the characters. Oath had just typical fire/wind/earth magic.

Yeah it just sounds kinda like you tried the game when you weren't in the mood for it, lord knows I do that all the time. Oath is super fun as far as action RPGs go and a lot of goons will verify that it owns and has some amazing music (7 is also really good too but I think the vast majority prefer Oath) so I would say maybe you should try giving it a second shot at some point.

Also I only played the PC version of Oath so I dunno if the PSP version is any different or worse in terms of how it handles etcetc, dunno if that matters!! That's what I'm guessing you played anyways since you mentioned shoulder buttons.

On a side note I will second Ys Origin for games with big epic towers, it is a cool and fun game that also has good music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Coolio posted:

So while I would say in some ways it was an improvement from Oblivion (a very low bench mark) in a lot of ways it's more of the same and adds some annoying new problems

Yeah everything in your post is basically what I was expecting/afraid of. I guess I'll have to exert some willpower and try not to rent it. I just bought New Vegas cuz it was $10 and it's pissing me off so much that I'm thinking of throwing it away/giving it away/declaring western RPGs dead and becoming an RPGCodex poster so I don't need another Bethesda game pissing me off (yes I know Obsidian made NV but the core game was made by Bethesda).