Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
What is the general PSP consensus about Bret Hart? is there an aknowledgement he is/was the best ever or are there non believers? Would one be ok to post a Bret megathread with links to best matches etc and to make a thread to discuss his career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Do it then I will tell you. :)

Don't be afraid to start threads.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rankine Over Gash posted:

What is the general PSP about Bret Hart? is there an aknowledgement he is/was the best ever or are there non believers? Would one be ok to post a Bret megathread with links to best matches etc and to make a thread to discuss his career?

Yes that would be awesome, just make it perfect

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

long ago i made a bret hart megathread. it sucked.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Which is a better name for the team of Zack Ryder and Shamus; Z-True Long Ireland Stories or Are You Serious, Brogue!?

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Is it cliche to say Bret got me into wrestling? I just went through loads of his mid 1990s WWF stuff on YouTube and he really was THE best. HBK wad great sure, but Bret was something else. Is that a sacred cow there? Sorry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like HBK more :colbert:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Is it cliche to say Bret got me into wrestling? I just went through loads of his mid 1990s WWF stuff on YouTube and he really was THE best. HBK wad great sure, but Bret was something else. Is that a sacred cow there? Sorry.

I think Bret, at his best, was as good as it gets in the ring. His promos weren't always the best but he was never a bad talker. The biggest knock against Bret is that, in some of the periods where he was booked in a less-than-stellar way, his ring work plummeted as a result. He was capable, when motivated, of elevating a lesser worker, but not to the degree a Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels was. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

What the dude above me said. At his absolute peak, Bret was the best wrestler in the world.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Shaman of Cum posted:

long ago i made a bret hart megathread. it sucked.

Just like Bret Hart!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Which is a better name for the team of Zack Ryder and Shamus; Z-True Long Ireland Stories or Are You Serious, Brogue!?

That is fantastic.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Spike Force.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Hair and Glare

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lone Rogue posted:

You're the development fed. That's part of your drat job. If this was hockey it would be a similar issue. NHL team sends down guy to AHL ready to be called up at any time. He could be a valuable part of your winning streak. He could be poo poo and hard to find a spot for in the lineup. You deal with it.

I understand it would be nicer if they didn't do it in a very, "gently caress you don't give a poo poo" manner but Jim needs a little thicker skin there. OVW is the development fed. If WWE tells you to develop a guy, you do it. Even if he sucks.

Also, the NHL team doesn't take the guy, call him up for a tryout, then send him back as a golfer because well just because.

Ugh this analogy sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkIuYQmVEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HljqU9qIAQY

Goddamn I could listen to Cornette rant for days. Has he done a shoot since leaving TNA? There have to be some stories there.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Pale Ryder

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

What is the general PSP consensus about Bret Hart? is there an aknowledgement he is/was the best ever or are there non believers?

Not even close to the best ever, probably not even the best WWF wrestler ever (I might put Austin and Eddie ahead of him, to name two), but yeah, he was pretty great.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Duck of Death posted:

Not even close to the best ever, probably not even the best WWF wrestler ever (I might put Austin and Eddie ahead of him, to name two), but yeah, he was pretty great.

Thing about Bret for me and probably Rankine is that Bret had a style in the ring that just felt a lot more legitimate than others. There's something about Shawn's pinball bumping that doesn't feel as real as Bret's selling. There's something about Austin's wild swinging that doesn't feel as polished as Bret's offence. Some guys go their entire career unable to do a side russian legsweep as clean as Bret's.

I'm sure someone could list snowflake matches or argue the importance of the matches Bret had but the fact is a lot of people watched Bret Hart and said to themselves, "That's what the best wrestler in the world should work like" and nobody has really come close to how crisp he works since. Eddie is probably the closest I've felt and even then there's just more snap to Bret. Some guys made it look more realistic and some guys got the audience into it more but watching Bret in '93 feels like watching Gretzky in '86. It feels a cut above the rest.

Again, it's all preference.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I probably shouldn't have said "not even close" as if there was no discussion to be had. For what it's worth, Bret vs. Owen at WMX was the first match to plant the idea in my head that pro wrestling could be something resembling an art form. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

You're the development fed. That's part of your drat job. If this was hockey it would be a similar issue. NHL team sends down guy to AHL ready to be called up at any time. He could be a valuable part of your winning streak. He could be poo poo and hard to find a spot for in the lineup. You deal with it.

I understand it would be nicer if they didn't do it in a very, "gently caress you don't give a poo poo" manner but Jim needs a little thicker skin there. OVW is the development fed. If WWE tells you to develop a guy, you do it. Even if he sucks.

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying. I wasn't really taking sides in that argument, just clarifying Cornette's position. Before defending Cornette's position, one needs to also remember that the WWE was paying OVW to be the development fed. They were in charge, so I don't know that he really has a lot of room to complain.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying. I wasn't really taking sides in that argument, just clarifying Cornette's position. Before defending Cornette's position, one needs to also remember that the WWE was paying OVW to be the development fed. They were in charge, so I don't know that he really has a lot of room to complain.

This has already been explained.

OVW was its own business that had to turn a profit on its own.
WWE wasn't paying OVW very much money.
WWE is not a competitive sport. Call ups can be planned out over time.
WWE routinely broke its word to OVW with regard to the usage of talent.

By haphazardly calling up wrestlers, changing their gimmicks and not sending in talent when promised, WWE hurt OVW's bottom line. As a part owner of OVW, Cornette had a reason to be pissed just about that because that is a lovely way to treat your business partner. Every once in awhile it is reasonable that WWE would need a talent right away and it would screw up OVW's plans. It happened far too often for a promotion with any degree of planning or regard for the health of the company that was creating its future stars.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Did the Post your Local Indy or whatever thread it was called slip into archives? Because I wanted to post this picture.

This is Raven at the local indy I do ringside security for. He stole the pink wig and sunglasses that the wrestler he was booked against wore to ringside and wore it all the way to the back. Basically Raven owns, is the point. Hoping to have some video from the show in the next couple, so if that indy thread isn't archived (I couldn't find it) if someone could post a link to it, that'd be super helpful.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

cucka posted:

Did the Post your Local Indy or whatever thread it was called slip into archives? Because I wanted to post this picture.

This is Raven at the local indy I do ringside security for. He stole the pink wig and sunglasses that the wrestler he was booked against wore to ringside and wore it all the way to the back. Basically Raven owns, is the point. Hoping to have some video from the show in the next couple, so if that indy thread isn't archived (I couldn't find it) if someone could post a link to it, that'd be super helpful.

Raven DOES own and I wish he'd had more of a shot with WWE, because he could have been so much more than he was while he was there.

AtomicDrop
Nov 7, 2011
A friend of a friend had a framed picture of Bret Hart in their garage, that's how I learned about pro wrestling.

However, Bret always seemed really bland to me and to this day I don't buy into him being as great as people make him out to be. Shawn was always much better in my opinion.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

AtomicDrop posted:

A friend of a friend had a framed picture of Bret Hart in their garage, that's how I learned about pro wrestling.

However, Bret always seemed really bland to me and to this day I don't buy into him being as great as people make him out to be. Shawn was always much better in my opinion.

Brett was sound, that's why he never left as great an impression. He was a guy who always worked solid, not flashy. Unless you are a serious fan of his style, it can come off as lacking, especially in retrospect. He was awesome, but in a very subdued and subtle way. I grew up with a big brother who was the hugest Hitman mark, so I learned a lot about him and watched a lot of his matches. always struck me as the type who could pull a good match out of anyone, but wasn't exactly doing moonsaults or anything flashy. Meat and potatoes technical wrestler. And drat good too

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

cucka posted:

This is fantastic. Who was he wrestling? And did they actually have a match, or was Raven his usual post-TNA lazy self?

Laziness aside, he does own.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

CombineThresher posted:

This is fantastic. Who was he wrestling? And did they actually have a match, or was Raven his usual post-TNA lazy self?

Laziness aside, he does own.

Here, as a starter, I made a thing.

http://upw.ytmnd.com/

I will post more as video and whatnot becomes available.

He was wrestling a local, who also happens to be #485 on the PWI 500 and brags about it. He is Peter B. Beautiful, and his gimmick is basically '97-'98 ECW Bubba Ray Dudley if he was openly gay and tried to make people uncomfortable.

Pete wrestled a Hardcore Gauntlet match where he potato'd 4 local jobbers with weapons. Then Raven came out via the promoter's request. Raven was dragging Pete around the place, letting random fans knife-edge chop him (a good buddy of mine was one of the ones to get a chop in.) Then basically Evenflow'd him and pinned him, then cut a promo about indies being the heart of the business. He was all class, and it was a pleasure to see him work that up close.

My brother actually knows Pete well, went to school with him. It was surreal to see him work with Raven, but it ruled. Will post more as I get more.

E: missed the lazy point. Didn't go out of his way to burn a ton of energy, but really was into it, really dug the fan interaction, because the fans were crazy hot. I was working security as I was taking pictures and I had to keep people off Peter on a regular basis because of the Bubba style crowd working. He works em hard. I hope I get video soon to show ya what I mean. It's a treat in the most base and crude sense.

E2: THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT.

cucka fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 27, 2011

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

cucka posted:

I saw Raven at an indy show last Friday and he was fabulous with the kids. He had Rory Mcalister (calling himself Guillotine Graham now) in a headlock and took him around ringside smacking his head off kid's boots and letting them have free punches. I know that move's been around indie wrestling for years, but it was still a great touch and Raven was awesome.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

DannoMack posted:

I saw Raven at an indy show last Friday and he was fabulous with the kids. He had Rory Mcalister (calling himself Guillotine Graham now) in a headlock and took him around ringside smacking his head off kid's boots and letting them have free punches. I know that move's been around indie wrestling for years, but it was still a great touch and Raven was awesome.

He totally owned it, and he was even really progressive about the guy rocking the ultra-offensive gay gimmick. It was refreshing to see an angle like that dealt with without homophobia.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Nope. I enjoyed wrestling as a toddler, but I was drawn back to it in the early/mid-90s when I was playing WWF Royal Rumble and noticed Hart was from Canada...just like me! He became my favourite wrestler because of that. It wasn't until I watched his match with Austin at WM 13 that I started to follow it intensely though. By the time I saw the match, a few months after it happened, the Canada vs. USA feud had started. I hated Michaels because of this. I am going to assume this was the same for a lot of young Canadian wrestling fans watching at this time.

Also, Royal Rumble was a terrible game, but I remember playing a countless amount of hours playing it. Ah, to be a kid again.

AtomicDrop
Nov 7, 2011

cucka posted:

He was wrestling a local, who also happens to be #485 on the PWI 500 and brags about it. He is Peter B. Beautiful, and his gimmick is basically '97-'98 ECW Bubba Ray Dudley if he was openly gay and tried to make people uncomfortable.

The same Peter B. Beautiful that got shat on by Ian Rotten in...2001 I believe? If so, how the hell did he make it onto the PWI 500?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

cucka posted:

He totally owned it, and he was even really progressive about the guy rocking the ultra-offensive gay gimmick. It was refreshing to see an angle like that dealt with without homophobia.

Is is the same Peter B. Beautiful that Ian Rotten stiffed really badly?

E: beaten

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

AtomicDrop posted:

The same Peter B. Beautiful that got shat on by Ian Rotten in...2001 I believe? If so, how the hell did he make it onto the PWI 500?

One and the same. I want to talk to him about it at some point. Hoping to build towards that. i think vid of it is on wrestlinggonewrong.com or whatever it is. Pete is a local legend to me. He literally is a classmate of my older brother. It's weird to see a guy like that get into the pwi 500. It's really weird.

E: and Peter got on the list by... causing near riots? I know at the shot I was at, he said some heinous poo poo, so he's rocking the bubba gimmick hard.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just like Bret Hart!

God drat Shawn is an ugly mtherfucker

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
All of the WCW World champions have appeared on WWE TV except for Sting and Russo (maybe). Has Vince Russo ever appeared on WWE TV?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Rusty Shackelford posted:

All of the WCW World champions have appeared on WWE TV except for Sting and Russo (maybe). Has Vince Russo ever appeared on WWE TV?

Yeah, he was on uhhh...I forget the name of the mid 90s Saturday Morning show, as Vic Venom. Can't remember if he was a host or just a guest at times, but he was on TV

edit - LiveWire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEaJUBvSpU

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 28, 2011

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLhazdEcV8w

"You want dirt? Guess who's got the shovel!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLhazdEcV8w

"You want dirt? Guess who's got the shovel!"

This is loving gold, Gonzo.

It takes him five seconds to say the word "shoot".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It is so perfectly awful.

Black and white to look edgy, set in 90's grunge locations with a pasty, specky goof trying to act hard and talk tough in his leather jacket and sitting on someone else's motorbike.

Perfect, concentrated 90's crap.

Edit: also searching Vic Venom brings up a lot of yard tard videos. Makes a lot of sense, really.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 28, 2011

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

I remember in the mid 90s, must have been 94, there was a piece about Bob Backlund in the WWF Magazine with a shot of Vic Venom with his arm in a sling. Does anyone recall Backlund/Russo having an in-ring altercation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I know he got WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo with the chicken wing on RAW, but I think Russo & Gianfriddo are different people.