Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Wookums posted:

I feel that I've wasted a ton of stats in dex and faith though, I'll never use miracles and only self buffs with int.

What's the CMW/DMB?
Crystal Magic Weapon/Darkmoon Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CodfishCartographer posted:

So uh, why was wrath of god not nerfed with the rest of the pvp-breaking spells? Someone can just run up and spam the poo poo out of it and there's not much you can do about it.
You can actually roll at a key time to avoid wrath of god's damage, no matter what range you're in. It's only slightly tricky and not really hard to do. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XahQ5rLoOtg#t=423s

chubby Chinese cutie
Apr 1, 2010
Newest "The Dark Soul" checking in. 131 hours total playtime. 2 and a half full playthroughs and I never was cursed. Not even close. Did anyone else experience this? Just seemed like, unless you were TRYING, it was really difficult to actually get cursed.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

CodfishCartographer posted:

So uh, why was wrath of god not nerfed with the rest of the pvp-breaking spells? Someone can just run up and spam the poo poo out of it and there's not much you can do about it.

It's only a 3 time use so you can easily bait someone into using it. It's probably the only good spell faith has. Are you trying to make it so faith is completely worthless? :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ReverendHorsePussy posted:

Newest "The Dark Soul" checking in. 131 hours total playtime. 2 and a half full playthroughs and I never was cursed. Not even close. Did anyone else experience this? Just seemed like, unless you were TRYING, it was really difficult to actually get cursed.
I think anyone on their first playthrough who fell through the floor at a certain area and into 3 frogs probably had a higher than usual chance of getting cursed. That's usually the one that catches people off guard.

I've seen plenty of people get cursed on Seath as well. I'll phantom for people who are fighting Seath for the first time and they'll try to tank the point blank AoE breath in their usual getup and welp.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I got cursed on my first playthrough because I didn't know to expect it. The only other time I got cursed was trying to get a level 1 through The Great Hollow, and I just deleted the character.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What's a good weapon for my 50~ish strength guy to use on my NG++? Thinking about starting again tonight, and using one of the silly, massive weapons, but I'd like one I can at least upgrade and apply resin on?

Edit: You need 58STR to one hand Smough's Hammer? loving hell, I forged one for the sake of it, but that just sounds silly.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 28, 2011

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
DKGA needs 50 strength and can be resined and the massive AoE attack is pretty cool.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

DKGA needs 50 strength and can be resined and the massive AoE attack is pretty cool.

I got summoned through the Red Soapstone as the guy was being invaded. As he was already fighting I slinked off and whipped out my binoculars. The invader had a Dragon King Greataxe in one hand and a Dragon Greatsword in the other. There were explosions and shockwaves everywhere, it was amazing. Dragon Dude won.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dark Souls is a hard game to play tired.

Most of my uninterrupted game time is after my wife goes to bed. She goes to sleep somewhat early (10-ish) and then I game for a couple hours. I tell you though, with Dark Souls, it's EXACTLY evident when it's time for me to stop, because I just get sloppy, and have bad ideas of making fleeing runs past things to speed something up, and/or end up losing my bloodstain of 10k+ souls, etc.

Made doubly worse last night while being tired and attempting Sen's Fortress. That's a no-mess-ups type of area.

Did kill 3 Titanite Demons, The Iron Golem, and rescue Big Hat. Also made it pretty far back to the boulder machine in one run. Will attempt more tonight.

Question: When I ascended my Halberd, I noticed there were a couple ways I could go with it. Raw, something else, Divine, and reverting it back.

I went with Raw because it had the damage I was looking for. The other one seemed lacking, and Divine also didn't really improve much (at least at that stage?).

What were the other options and their benefits?

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
Man, I'd forgotten how much the first half of NG+ makes you feel like a total badass. Between knowing the enemies and having some serious gear, you just roll through like you own the joint. One-shotting the Taurus Demon, ripping through the sporadic Black Knights, going toe-to-toe with the Undead Dragon. Fights that were infuriatingly stacked against you are just trivial. Oh hello, Capra Demon! I say good fellow, now that I've swatted aside your cheap-rear end mutts with a single swing, would you be interested in a game of punch-for-punch? <tink> ... <SMASH!!> Good game!

Though to be honest, the puppy shield is like carrying around a giant easy button anyway. Capra would have had to land his lunging double-attack into it about 6 or 7 times before it would even come close to breaking my guard.

Heh. Loser.

edit: Just to clarify, a good SL range for NG+ is 80-100, right? I'm SL82 and haven't really seen much going on. At all. This is why I've always kept restarting with new characters rather than bothering to finish NG+, I'm all about the Sunbro'ing. Best part of this game, honestly.

Anyway, almost to Gaping Dragon. Maybe my luck will change?

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 28, 2011

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Feenix posted:

Question: When I ascended my Halberd, I noticed there were a couple ways I could go with it. Raw, something else, Divine, and reverting it back.

I went with Raw because it had the damage I was looking for. The other one seemed lacking, and Divine also didn't really improve much (at least at that stage?).

What were the other options and their benefits?

Raw is actually the worst ascent. It trades scaling for not nearly enough of raw damage.
Divine reduce your weapon's scaling in Strength and Dex, but gives you magical damage, and scaling with faith.
Magic, which you should have as well, is the same, only it scales with intelligence.
Fire and Lightning weapons add a lot of damage both physical and elemental (either fire or electrical), at the cost of removing all scaing altoghether. it's however pretty worth it, given how powerful elemental weapons are, and how things in that game have little resistances to either.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

RabidWeasel posted:

Guess this is the one, unfortunately I don't think I have one, so a race to the Depths it is! :)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So part of my quest to get all the rare items I noticed the darkmoon bow has says it's most impressive with moonlight arrows. Has anyone used Moonlight with the bow? What makes it so spectacular?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zain posted:

So part of my quest to get all the rare items I noticed the darkmoon bow has says it's most impressive with moonlight arrows. Has anyone used Moonlight with the bow? What makes it so spectacular?
I assume it's approximately 50% lore, 50% Moonlight arrows are going to synergize by adding to the damage types. Fire arrows would be adding in another damage type to get reduced, for example. Adding 50 to a damage type you already have is preferable to adding 50 to a new damage type.

So I was heading into TotG to grab Sanctus for my paladin. I have the Lordvessel. Turns out I forgot to place it, and Leeroy only appears if you've placed it. I don't think I care about Darkwraiths, so I guess I can just go to Firelink, talk to Frampt, then Homeward back.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Zain posted:

I use Moonlight arrows with the darkmoon. I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes those arrows "optimal" for the darkmoon is that they stack magic damage on top of the bow's inherent magic damage.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Yep, that's exactly it.

Except if you have decent dex the physical damage from Pharis + heavy arrows, or the Dragonslayer Greatbow period will outdamage the Darkmoon Bow.

Magic damage. :psyduck:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Never been cursed, ever. I don't use the cursebite ring or anything, I just give those assholes plenty of space and patience.

Patience in this game is like a hidden stat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Iceclaw posted:

Raw is actually the worst ascent. It trades scaling for not nearly enough of raw damage.
Divine reduce your weapon's scaling in Strength and Dex, but gives you magical damage, and scaling with faith.
Magic, which you should have as well, is the same, only it scales with intelligence.
Fire and Lightning weapons add a lot of damage both physical and elemental (either fire or electrical), at the cost of removing all scaing altoghether. it's however pretty worth it, given how powerful elemental weapons are, and how things in that game have little resistances to either.

Thanks. I'd be bummed I chose Raw (poor option) if it wasn't serving me so well at this particular moment, and also I really want to find something new, so I'd love the motivation to ditch it soonish. :)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You descend a raw weapon to +5 normal without losing anything than whatever titanite you have invewsted in the ascencion, you know. It's not really a problem.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think the only things you can't revert are crystal weapons and boss soul weapons.

vv: Guess I never even considered doing that. +10 weapons are a lot easier to come by than boss souls.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 28, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Elysiume posted:

boss soul weapons.

Nope, those can be reversed as well.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

doomfunk posted:

Yep, that's exactly it.

Except if you have decent dex the physical damage from Pharis + heavy arrows, or the Dragonslayer Greatbow period will outdamage the Darkmoon Bow.

Magic damage. :psyduck:

I was just trying to figure this out, I have a Longbow +10 waiting to be ascended but I looked at the magic damage from darkmoon and compared it to say making it a lightning longbow +1 and it doesn't look like darkmoon is worth it. I kind of want it just for the awesome factor of having a boss bow but it seems like maybe that's a mistake? I suppose I can always get pharis' too but my dex is only like 24 at SL 65.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Iceclaw posted:

You descend a raw weapon to +5 normal without losing anything than whatever titanite you have invewsted in the ascencion, you know. It's not really a problem.

Also, you don't need a Titanite Slab or Titanite Chunks to ascend it to the +5 maximum level, just a bunch of Large Titanite Shards (9, to be exact). So it's probably the easiest and cheapest path to ascend upon.

So in the short run, it'll be great. However, it will always be outdone in the longrun, so keep an eye out for stronger weapons and consider alternate upgrade paths.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does dexterity affect cast speeds on Homing Soulmasses?

I tested out Velka's Rapier (on my highest level character, so I was just hitting air because 11 int is not enough) and it has a fantastic moveset. Standard weaks for a rapier, but the strongs are awesome.

It also has 20 stamina damage, which is 5 higher than the estoc, and 10 higher than the other rapiers. 93/156 damage at +5 with 5/53/97 scaling.

edit: Huh, that's interesting. Silver Knight Straight Sword has a great moveset but underwhelming damage. So does Astora's Straight Sword. They both also have 50 stamina damage, compared to the 20-25 for pretty much every sword in that class.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 28, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I love the Lightning Spear miracle.

2 questions about it:

1) Is there ever any way to get more casts? (or an expanded casts version?)

2) Can I do anything to speed up the cast?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just had some retarded combats.

1. I drop my red soapstone in the forest, and someone actually summons me. They bow, and gesture forwards. I waited until they were done, and they just stood there. I one-shotted them with a backstab. I don't think they knew red soapstone wasn't for co-op?

2. I got summoned to defend the forest. I forgot that my gear was hosed because I keep trying new things, so I was at 53% load or something. I backstab them, bringing them to about 5 HP, and I thought they were dead. Then I couldn't close the distance again because I was too slow. :(

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Feenix posted:

2 questions about it:

If you attune a miracle or spell several times their cast limits stack, so presumably that would work on Lightning Spear as well assuming you can get it again on NG+.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Leyburn posted:

Guess this is the one, unfortunately I don't think I have one, so a race to the Depths it is! :)

Hmmm, colour me unimpressed with the Dragon King's Great Axe. I just gave it a whirl and it's fairly underwhelming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought resins would add a significant amount of damage to a weapon, but this doesn't seen to be the case...

I've got a Demon's Great Machete + 15 that I made for the standard upgrade trophy which does a lot of damage, but it's a pain in the arse to use because it's animations are so long. I really don't wanna go through another playthrough with my same old Lightening Axe, but none of these weapons are really inspiring me. :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What kind of axe were you using? What are your weapon-relevant stats?

edit: I really think the Blue Eye Orb should ignore level like forest invasion does. I want to use it, but I also want to actually be able to level a character up. I want to use Velka's Rapier on a Blue Orb invader, but that's just not going to be worth it. :mad:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Leyburn posted:

Hmmm, colour me unimpressed with the Dragon King's Great Axe. I just gave it a whirl and it's fairly underwhelming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought resins would add a significant amount of damage to a weapon, but this doesn't seen to be the case...

I've got a Demon's Great Machete + 15 that I made for the standard upgrade trophy which does a lot of damage, but it's a pain in the arse to use because it's animations are so long. I really don't wanna go through another playthrough with my same old Lightening Axe, but none of these weapons are really inspiring me. :(

Honestly, most of the high strength weapons suck because they have extremely slow and/or linear attacks. It doesn't really matter how much damage you do if you can't actually hit anyone. One of the reasons that the claymore and zweihander are so popular is that they have really good movesets which compensate for the slowness by giving you a lot of reach and cover a wide area; the fact that they don't have particularly difficult stat requirements (which lets you dump all your levels into vit/end) is just icing on the cake.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
That stuff about Rhea and the presumed fate of the other maidens is really cool. I love how much awesome/horrifying stuff is in this game if you pay attention and take the time to look around.

New Londo, for example. When the Darkwraiths started emerging from The Abyss, the decision was made to seal off New Londo and flood the town. Right in front of the great double-doors that lead to the Valley of Drakes, the ground is covered in bodies - just a massive pile of drowned, saturated corpses. The people of New Londo must have swarmed the gates and tried to get out as the waters began to rise...

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't feel bad about siding with Kaathe.

Dark Souls: Where the "good" guys are terrible, and the "bad" guys aren't as bad as you think.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No kidding. Draining New Londo sinched my decision to go with Kaathe. Holy poo poo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
PvP is so consistently awful that I really don't know why I keep doing it. So many times I just go up against people who are really high levels. It's stupid and unfun. The rest of the time I'm up against people who are really low levels and/or have terrible gear, which is also stupid and unfun, but for different reasons.

Also, whoever chose the black phantom spawn in the forest is a dick. Right in front of the fog wall? You can't see poo poo, and you can't walk around. :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are you doing kiln pvp or just random invasions cause they are two different things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
i have mixed feelings about PVP. Whenever I reverse hollow I get invaded, and being that I'm on my first run through, and mostly focused on the story, it usually doesn't end well for me.

It can be a little frustrating sure. But at the same time, sometimes it adds a tenseness to the proceedings that really just amplifies the feel.

Case in point. I go Human, and start heading from DarkRoot Garden to Sif's fog door. Not 3 seconds after I start my run, I get Invaded. I BOOK it to the fog door, and there's like one White Phantom Summon. I activate it. I wait... I'm like "Come on... come onnnnn" "Summon failed." poo poo. I'm seriously like backed in a corner, shield up. No other White summons. Oh, one appears! I activate it, just as I see the black invader far off in the distance. "Come on... come onnnnn!" Success! I run through the gate. Then my assistant. I lost to SIF, but that's not the point. It was scary tense and pretty fun. :)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Elysiume posted:

edit: I really think the Blue Eye Orb should ignore level like forest invasion does. I want to use it, but I also want to actually be able to level a character up. I want to use Velka's Rapier on a Blue Orb invader, but that's just not going to be worth it. :mad:

It does.

Feenix posted:

2 questions about it:

If you give ten sunlight medals to the statue, you get Great Lightning Spear. It hits slightly harder than the basic one, and you can attune both of them for a total of 20 casts. If you're really desperate, you can equip the ring from the hydra in darkroot basin, which gives you 1.5x as many casts and halves your health.

If you have a lot of dexterity, you will cast it slightly faster. Slightly. Probably not worth it, though, unless you wanted a lot of dexterity anyways.

Shanty posted:

If you attune a miracle or spell several times their cast limits stack, so presumably that would work on Lightning Spear as well assuming you can get it again on NG+.

Covenants never give out the same goodies twice.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Eej posted:

Are you doing kiln pvp or just random invasions cause they are two different things.
I've basically done every kind of PvP and haven't really liked any of it. I guess I could try settling down in the Kiln for a while; I've barely done Kiln PvP because that place is boring as hell and none of my characters are ever at the Kiln for very long.

Gravelord: I've never had it work, and I've stood around for hours.
Darkwraith: I either tend to invade someone on NG who gets completely annihilated or someone on NG+ who I can't scratch because they're sixty levels higher than me.
Forest Hunter: Similar to Darkwraith, but I'm invading someone who's just passing through or someone just standing there, baiting invasions with phantoms.
Blades of the Darkmoon: I'd say these might have been the fairest fights, but I can rarely get it to work.
Red soapstone: I've had this work once and the person didn't know what was happening and I one-shotted them.
Dragon: Never had this work.

vv: I still get backstabbed from random directions and random places fairly frequently.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I've been PVPing recently and I have to say there's been little to no lag stuff. It does from time to time but out of 8 there's only been like 1 lag fight. The rest I knew why I died because I missed the timing or did something I shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Zain posted:

I've been PVPing recently and I have to say there's been little to no lag stuff. It does from time to time but out of 8 there's only been like 1 lag fight. The rest I knew why I died because I missed the timing or did something I shouldn't have.

:allears: This is wonderful. Just give it some time and you will soon be getting backstabbed while facing the invader.

• Locked thread