Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Is 'taunting' a newish rule that came along with the 'excessive celebration' stuff? They're showing the Eagles-Giants game here (Aus) and some guy just got a huge penalty for taunting the opposition bench. Seemed pretty... soft. Im assuming these calls dont get made often?

e: Another question... how long has video technology been such a big part of the game? Was there ever big arguments against its use? There are a lot of calls that get changed/made based on video evidence - seems like the game would be a lot different now compared to when calls were just made by the refs.

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Windmill Hut posted:

Is 'taunting' a newish rule that came along with the 'excessive celebration' stuff? They're showing the Eagles-Giants game here (Aus) and some guy just got a huge penalty for taunting the opposition bench. Seemed pretty... soft. Im assuming these calls dont get made often?
They've been able to call it as "unsportsmanlike conduct" for awhile now, as far as I know. It's just a matter of where they put the threshold for throwing a flag.

quote:

e: Another question... how long has video technology been such a big part of the game? Was there ever big arguments against its use? There are a lot of calls that get changed/made based on video evidence - seems like the game would be a lot different now compared to when calls were just made by the refs.
According to Wikipedia, the current system dates to 1999, with occasional modifications in following years. In general, it's considered a positive change, since inevitably your team will get screwed at some point by a bad call, and instant replay allows officials to reverse some of the more egregious ones. They haven't really changed the other rules to account for instant replay, so it's not like the game is substantially different, although the officials do behave somewhat differently if they know they can reverse a call in certain ways and not others.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Incoherence posted:

They've been able to call it as "unsportsmanlike conduct" for awhile now, as far as I know. It's just a matter of where they put the threshold for throwing a flag.

According to Wikipedia, the current system dates to 1999, with occasional modifications in following years. In general, it's considered a positive change, since inevitably your team will get screwed at some point by a bad call, and instant replay allows officials to reverse some of the more egregious ones. They haven't really changed the other rules to account for instant replay, so it's not like the game is substantially different, although the officials do behave somewhat differently if they know they can reverse a call in certain ways and not others.
Also, there was video review before which was at the discretion of the ref in the booth (much like during the last 2 minutes of the half) but it ended after a controversial call.

Oh thank you Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscrMo8Tk6Y
The sound is really weak, so you may have to crank it, but this is straight from the CBS feed.

The challenge system and now HD technology have made replay much better. Now if these stadiums would just loving set up a camera directly on the goal line we'd be set.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

Also, there was video review before which was at the discretion of the ref in the booth (much like during the last 2 minutes of the half) but it ended after a controversial call.

Oh thank you Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscrMo8Tk6Y
The sound is really weak, so you may have to crank it, but this is straight from the CBS feed.

The challenge system and now HD technology have made replay much better. Now if these stadiums would just loving set up a camera directly on the goal line we'd be set.

If this is the call what was controversial about it? That seems a pretty obvious overturn even without maximizing the window.

Also I appreciated the Tony Mandarich sighting after the extra point, that's a name worth looking up for newbies when all of us TFF guys say draft offensive line no matter what.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The rule at the time was that if any part of the passer's anatomy had gone across the neutral zone, it was a foul (it's now changed to require him to completely cross it). Take another look at about 1:02, and tell me if you can still be sure that his left arm didn't go past the down box before he released the ball.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What makes an official decide to keep the clock running sometimes when a ball carrier goes or is pushed out of bounds?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Detective Thompson posted:

What makes an official decide to keep the clock running sometimes when a ball carrier goes or is pushed out of bounds?

I believe if it's not under two minutes, it always starts running again.

Or if forward progress was stopped before the ball carrier goes out of bounds, the clock keeps running.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Depends whether you're playing on Saturday or Sunday. In both cases, going out of bounds stops the clock; prior to the end of the half, it restarts when the ball is spotted inbounds for the next down (NCAA, last two minutes of both halves; NFL, last two minutes of the first half, last five minutes of the second half, and all of overtime), and then near the end of the half it doesn't start until the next snap.

As SA2K says, if a ballcarrier is forced out of bounds by a defender behind where the defender makes contact with him, the ruling is usually to say forward progress, give the runner all his yardage, and keep the clock running.

edit for just noticed: the thing about "taunting" in particular sticks out a lot because in most other sports you have to try a lot harder than you do in football to get penalised for being a dick to the other guy; this for me ties in with the whole hyper-celebratory attitude of football players, who probably do a dance every time they make a sandwich. Because everyone's biased towards being Big and Loud about everything, you rarely get people who just settle for calling each other loving cunts quietly in each other's ears to pass the downtime; they're gonna do it while hopping up and down like Zebedee and hooting it out to the world, and that gets people properly angry a lot quicker, and that makes it a lot easier for it to turn into a fight, and if you've never seen a bench-clearing brawl with between 80 and 150 people involved, then you need to do that.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 27, 2011

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Its Miller Time posted:

You're being massively presumptuous. Someone in a newbie/rookie thread asks you to not use acronyms, especially confusing ones like LT which stand for multiple things, and you just arrogantly insist everyone who posts in here should know what you're talking about? They don't. I've followed football pretty actively for 5 years and had never heard of Joe Gibbs. The majority of posters on here are under 30 and don't even have memories of when he was coaching, and likewise with Lawrence Taylor. He is a legend, but not nearly close to a household name like Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan. I wouldn't expect the casual football fan to know who Lawrence Taylor is.

Really? The initials vs full name complaint is totally valid, but five years ago Gibbs was coaching again, and I'd think if you were even following the sport peripherally, let alone pretty actively, you would have seen his name frequently. Particularly around the time of Sean Taylor's death in 2007.

I believe you, it just surprises me.

Happy Seafood Guy
Oct 8, 2008
I've always wondered what advantages teams gained by taking timeouts, beyond just stopping the clock. This morning, I was reading a recap of the Boise-Wyoming game, and I came across "Instead, [Coach] Petersen used his two remaining timeouts to force a punt." I wasn't able to watch the game, and so I really don't have much context to try to figure this out on my own, but how does this work, and are there more ways of using timeouts for trickery?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Happy Seafood Guy posted:

I've always wondered what advantages teams gained by taking timeouts, beyond just stopping the clock. This morning, I was reading a recap of the Boise-Wyoming game, and I came across "Instead, [Coach] Petersen used his two remaining timeouts to force a punt." I wasn't able to watch the game, and so I really don't have much context to try to figure this out on my own, but how does this work, and are there more ways of using timeouts for trickery?

By calling timeouts, he forced Wyoming to run plays rather than just letting the clock expire. When they couldn't get a first down, they were forced to punt.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Why is Tim Tebow mentioned in like every thread in this forum? Is he hated, is he loved? I don't understand the storyline.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sc0tty posted:

Why is Tim Tebow mentioned in like every thread in this forum? Is he hated, is he loved? I don't understand the storyline.

I can't believe I'm going to write this many words about Tebow. The short answer is he's hated by some, ironically loved by others, and for real loved by yet others.

He's a polarizing figure. He has a very legitimate case as the best college football player ever. Also by all accounts he is a ridiculously nice guy. He is also highly religious. Being religious isn't abnormal for players, but Tebow is also very evangelical.

So you have this great football player who's the perfect kid who makes very sure to give all glory to Jesus publicly at every opportunity. There's a media frenzy around the guy that would be annoying no matter what, but in addition to that you have to constantly hear what a great guy he is any why abortion is wrong and why God is great. There was quite a bit of argument about whether he could succeed in the NFL, ultimately he was drafted in the first round.

The unfortunate part of this for Tebow is he is a very flawed passer. It was pretty easy to hide this for several reasons in college but in the NFL it's been exposed badly. His throwing motion is horrible, his accuracy is comically bad at times. He played a couple of games last season and wasn't really all that terrible but wasn't particularly amazing either.

Fast forward to this season. The Broncos are bad, Kyle Orton (the old QB) wasn't very successful. The fan base is in love with Tebow for all the normal backup QB reasons as well as because he was so amazing in college and because he's such a nice Christian kid. Denver finally names him the starter.

He plays against Miami and is...flat out horrible. Not good at all. Missing very easy throws so badly that every guy sitting on his couch thinks he could do better. Then with 5 minutes left in the game and Denver down 15-0 Tebow starts looking half ok and leads two TD drives and ties the game, Denver wins in overtime. Next week is Detroit and Detroit beats the hell out of Denver all day. No comeback, Detroit won 45-10. Tebow is back to hilariously terrible.

Then Denver figures out the regular offense isn't working well, so they mix in some aspects of things that worked well for Tebow in college. The read option and spreading the field in order to open up the run mainly. They do this against Oakland and Oakland seems to be pretty unprepared. Their running back runs for 163 yards and Tebow himself goes for over 100, Denver wins. Next week is Kansas City and Denver has another week to work more wrinkles into the offense. KC gets run over and dominated all day, Denver's defense plays very well. Tebow only completes two passes but I watched that game and it's not like they really needed to throw, the running game was all that they needed. Another Denver win.

Next comes the Jets. After a first quarter drive where things worked well for the Broncos New York figures everything out and the option is toast. It doesn't work again all night. Unfortunately for the Jets Denver has discovered they can really play some D, they're giving the Jets fits all night on offense. It goes back and forth (through punts), just a completely defensive game. After a couple of field goals New York scores a TD and then Denver gets a pick 6. New York manages to get a field goal in the fourth quarter and it looks like the game will probably end 13-10. Then after about 3 full quarters of being completely useless the Denver offense comes to life. Tebow leads a 95 yard drive capped off by a rather dramatic 20 yard Tim Tebow run. Denver wins again. This is about where people really started taking him as anything other than a complete joke around here I'd guess.

Ok this is way too much to be writing, short version for San Diego is Denver's D is awesome, Tebow's mediocre most of the game, Denver's running game is pretty good. San Diego's up in the fourth quarter, Tebow pulls another drive out of his rear end after looking pretty terrible all day to tie the game. In overtime San Diego gets close to field goal range and goes conservative (three straight runs up the middle) and ends up missing a long field goal. Then the Broncos march down the field and get a great run by McGahee to set up their own short field goal, they win again.

So...in the end you have this quarterback who looks pretty bad both by the eye test and by most normal quarterback stats. Most people who follow football already have an opinion about him because he was so good in college and you couldn't help but hear about him if you followed the game. It turns out he has a knack for whatever reason for suddenly looking somewhat competent at the end of games. Playcalling? Looser Defenses? The Grace of God? For whatever reason from what I can tell he really does start playing better. At the same time this is happening Denver is figuring out they can really jam the ball down some people's throats in the running game and their defense starts playing lights out (against admittedly offensively challenged teams).

So is Tebow good? Is he being bailed out by the rest of his team suddenly being really good themselves after being terrible the first part of the year? Are the college type offensive changes something that everyone will figure out in a week or two (this seems to have already happened sort of, but we'll see)? We don't really know, all we know at the moment is that for whatever reason Denver has been winning games and looking like a pretty good team since Tebow became the starter.

My personal take is I hate him since he's a Bronco (Kansas City fan), that's all I really need to hope he and they are terrible forever.

e: I need a better hobby don't I?

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Perfect, makes sense. Thanks for that.

Now could you do the same for Brett Favre, thanks. :)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, I'll let one of the Green Bay guys write an essay on that one. The short version is he was really good for a really long time, rewriting all of the NFL passing records. Then every year since about 2007 (?--maybe earlier) became a "well he might retire" thing that ended with him coming back after a long drawn out media storm. We think he's finally actually retired now but with all the quarterbacks being hurt his name still gets brought up.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Not to further this thread into Tebowville as all the other ones are: But as an impartial observer to the AFC West otherwise, and to the Broncos especially, Tim Tebow rules because he helped open a hospital in the Philippines and talked about doing so after a TNF game where everyone was praising him. I don't really care that he did it after he talked about how sexy he thinks christ is for 5 minutes, I just care that he seems to be a genuinely good person who actually lives by the tenants of the faith he preaches so earnestly. Plus it's hilarious.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, I'll let one of the Green Bay guys write an essay on that one. The short version is he was really good for a really long time, rewriting all of the NFL passing records. Then every year since about 2007 (?--maybe earlier) became a "well he might retire" thing that ended with him coming back after a long drawn out media storm. We think he's finally actually retired now but with all the quarterbacks being hurt his name still gets brought up.

This is basically it. He was drafted into a bad situation in Atlanta with Jerry Glanville torpedoing him from the get-go. The Packers traded for him and then unsurprisingly Don Majikowski was benched for him and he has done really well since.

He's known for playing somewhat recklessly (throws a lot of interceptions as well as TDs) but generally with a lot of success, and he pretty much always showed genuine love for the game ("he's like a kid out there"). The Packers had generally been mediocre-to-bad since the heydays of the late 60s under Lombardi, but since Favre took the helm, they've had even more success than that (okay they only won 1 Super Bowl under him and not two, but they had a lot of good/great seasons and lots of playoff appearances in a much larger league).

Then he got all weird and did this retire/not retire thing and Aaron Rodgers was ready to go, so they shipped him to New York to play for the Jets. Then he did it again there and eventually went to play for the Packers' division rivals the Vikings. Add in pain killer addiction drama and dick pics and he kind of went nuclear on his own image in a lot of ways.

Basically, a decade-plus of "amazing player on a dynasty" ruined by "three or four years of literal and figurative dick-waving and stringing teams along".

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I don't really care about Tebow's being religious; everyone in the NFL is. I care about the whole "Doctors tried to abort me but God saved me and all I got was a hosed up throwing motion."

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
Who is Pickles?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zorkon posted:

Who is Pickles?

Jimmy Claussen, as in Claussen pickles.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Note that his last name is Clausen, not Claussen.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Note that his last name is Clausen, not Claussen.

Hmm, I never noticed they were different, because, pickles.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
We spent almost a decade at UT quarterbacked by various Clausens.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

KettleWL posted:

Not to further this thread into Tebowville as all the other ones are: But as an impartial observer to the AFC West otherwise, and to the Broncos especially, Tim Tebow rules because he helped open a hospital in the Philippines and talked about doing so after a TNF game where everyone was praising him. I don't really care that he did it after he talked about how sexy he thinks christ is for 5 minutes, I just care that he seems to be a genuinely good person who actually lives by the tenants of the faith he preaches so earnestly. Plus it's hilarious.

What amazed me is that Tebow had tons of scorching hot Florida women who were after him, and not only has nothing ever came out sexually about him, he actually openly admits he's a virgin and is saving himself for marriage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ya I hated tebow for awhile but he is apparently the last actual Christian with more than five dollars in his pocket, so now I unironically cheer for his success.

It's also pretty hilarious to watch the broncos play throwback ball. They should keep tbow and spend the next five years only drafting run blocking linemen, rbs, and defense.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Was looking at the standings on the NFL site, and one of the stats is Net Points. Does this mean points a team has won or lost by? Meaning, for example, if the first game of the season goes 21-14, the winning team has net 7 points, and the losing team has net -7 points? Or is it something else?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Alright, that's what I thought. It's cute to see Indianapolis' -177.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Alright, that's what I thought. It's cute to see Indianapolis' -177.

And with quick math that means they've been losing by an average of 16 points per game.

Which puts their -20 point spread this week into perspective.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Four of them were one score losses, so really it just tells us how hilariously the Saints sodomized them.

Five teams have managed worse then a -250 point differential for a season by the way, with the '76 Buccaneers being the heavyweight champions, managing -280 in 14 games.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

KettleWL posted:

lives by the tenants of the faith he preaches

So when you have land or an apartment to rent, you have tenants. Tenants are the people who are renting from you.

When you have faith in a creed of some kind, there are principles that are generally held to be true by those adhering to that creed. These principles are called tenets. He lives by the tenets of the faith he preaches.

I don't think he's renting out his mind to his creed.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Larch posted:

So when you have land or an apartment to rent, you have tenants. Tenants are the people who are renting from you.

When you have faith in a creed of some kind, there are principles that are generally held to be true by those adhering to that creed. These principles are called tenets. He lives by the tenets of the faith he preaches.

Larch I want you to picture a big black bird

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Larch posted:

Really? A 4-day-old post with a simple misnomer. You suck so much.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

This is basically it. He was drafted into a bad situation in Atlanta with Jerry Glanville torpedoing him from the get-go. The Packers traded for him and then unsurprisingly Don Majikowski was benched for him and he has done really well since.

Wasn't Majikowski really good and injury the only reason Favre got a start?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Speewah posted:

Wasn't Majikowski really good and injury the only reason Favre got a start?

He wasn't really that amazing, but I'm pretty sure the only reason favre started was the injury. The QB coach did not think Favre was ready to play yet when he had to go in.

http://www.nfl.com/player/donmajkowski/2501847/profile

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Jerome Agricola posted:

You suck so much.
Beg ya pardon.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

So how come Gronk wasn't credited with three touchdowns? I understand how it wasn't a pass, and therefore Brady didn't get a TD credit on that one, but Gronkowski still ran it in. So why is he only getting 2 TDs on the game? And how is that TD attributed then?

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
What was with the Falcons and Matt Ryan stopping and starting yesterday?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

So how come Gronk wasn't credited with three touchdowns? I understand how it wasn't a pass, and therefore Brady didn't get a TD credit on that one, but Gronkowski still ran it in. So why is he only getting 2 TDs on the game? And how is that TD attributed then?

The third one counted as run, Gronk got credit for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

Grittybeard posted:

My personal take is I hate him since he's a Bronco (Kansas City fan), that's all I really need to hope he and they are terrible forever.

e: I need a better hobby don't I?

Honestly the playcalling and Tebow factor is giving defenses enough problems that it's giving McGahee a tremendous boost, and with a good defense that's honestly enough it seems. Sort of like how you run to set up play action, instead it's Tebow pirouetting about like a loving ballerina to set up the run. I've never really seen that before in the NFL and it's really fun to watch defensive linemen hesitate play after play.

Anyway my question is- Aaron Rodgers had a less than ideal (although not nearly as atrocious as Tebow's) throwing motion and spent an offseason working to fix it and bingo now it's perfect. I don't understand why everyone is claiming Tebow's awful motion can't be improved at all- is it really that hard to retrain? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to break down and rebuild, but I've never coached anyone.

• Locked thread