Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Philosophrates posted:

I know someone asked this a few pages back, but can actually get a Large Club without farming those giant poison jerks in Blighttown, you can even get it at level 1 if you have the master key. If you run straight ahead from the bonfire and follow that wall to the right you should eventually reach a little cove with two of those big guys holding rocks guarding an item. Just dodge their first rock attack and sprint by to pick up a large club. Have fun smashing skulls.
That is a 'great club' not a 'large club'. They have different movesets, damage, and scaling. The great club has slightly higher base damage, worse scaling, and the 1H R2 isn't as useful. Plus it isn't poisonous, not that it matters much. In general, the large club from the poison dudes is better.

casual poster posted:

Is it normal to upgrade your armor? It's something I haven't touched on yet.
It is certainly something you can put off for a while while you use the souls for other things. Upgrading your weapon and shield is a higher priority. poo poo, on my last two characters, I just used whatever I had until I finished Anor Londo, then rocked out with buying Ornstein or Smough's armor.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Zain posted:

I donno if I can get 10 in 10 minutes instead of 10 in an hour I'd rather go for the harpies.

Well, you have to remember that before the patch, the souvenirs were probably the rarest covenant item that you could get from an enemy. I think the wiki listed it as somewhere at around 1 out of 25 harpies. When I was getting them for my platinum trophy, getting all ten took me around three hours. Now, I'm pretty certain that the rates have improved, but you should definitely leave invasions open as an option.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Filthy Monkey posted:

That is a 'great club' not a 'large club'. They have different movesets, damage, and scaling. The great club has slightly higher base damage, worse scaling, and the 1H R2 isn't as useful. Plus it isn't poisonous, not that it matters much. In general, the large club from the poison dudes is better.

This whole time I thought I was using the same awesome club everyone was talking about. Time to go farm a large club of my own! Can you still put resins on the large club? If not I might stick with the great, nothing like Sunbroing with a flaming tree.

Edit - Got one from the first club guy I killed. Resins can be used.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 29, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So almost 1000 posts later, was the 1.05 patch released for the Xbox?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Monolith. posted:

So almost 1000 posts later, was the 1.05 patch released for the Xbox?
Yeah, last Monday (Tuesday?) night.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

"Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210"

Does this mean that humanity drops more now or does it mean that I have a 1/210 chance of it dropping for me?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It means it drops much more frequently.

And of course, the day I was going to set aside for forest hunter farming is completely hampered by my connection crapping out every two hours. Gorgeous.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Vince Videogames posted:

Does this mean that humanity drops more now or does it mean that I have a 1/210 chance of it dropping for me?

That's a really good question. First I thought that the numbers were promille drop probabilities, but that would mean 1 in 5 kills would now drop humanity. The latter is obviously not the case. Drop rate increase from 10 to 20 promille seems reasonable, as that would mean 1 drop in every 50 kills.

Anyone know what these numbers mean?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vince Videogames posted:

Beaten hard, but I think that humanity now drops 21 times as often. It certainly drops a lot more often anyway. By the time I left Burg I had ten liquid, whereas before that would be one, maybe 2.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sumadartson posted:

That's a really good question. First I thought that the numbers were promille drop probabilities, but that would mean 1 in 5 kills would now drop humanity. The latter is obviously not the case. Drop rate increase from 10 to 20 promille seems reasonable, as that would mean 1 drop in every 50 kills.

Actually the latter sounds a lot more reasonable based on my very limited experience. Last night I was dying to the Taurus Demon, and just from running back to him I collected 6 humanity from enemies in 5 or 6 trips (each trip has 15 enemies).

edit: I should say that I kill pretty much every enemy with the jumping attack, I'm not sure if that affects drop rates.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sumadartson posted:

I don't know for sure what basically ANY of the numbers mean in Dark Souls. Its like playing Final Fantasy Tactics except that people have had 15 years to figure out what the actual mechanics of FFT are.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Papercut posted:

Actually the latter sounds a lot more reasonable based on my very limited experience. Last night I was dying to the Taurus Demon, and just from running back to him I collected 6 humanity from enemies in 5 or 6 trips (each trip has 15 enemies).

edit: I should say that I kill pretty much every enemy with the jumping attack, I'm not sure if that affects drop rates.

Or does it differ per enemy type?

Based on your data, taking a binomial distribution with a 0.2 success probability, the expectation would be that you'd get 15 humanity from the 5 trips. Scoring 6 or less humanity in 75 kills has a probability of 0.004. Hypothesis rejected (unless my math is off, it's been a while).

The data suggest a significantly lower drop rate than 0.2, more in the neighborhood of 1 in 15. Complicating factor : does humanity influence your humanity drop rate? I need more data!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sumadartson posted:

I spent about forty minutes killing guys in the burg yesterday, and got maybe 2 liquid humanity, which doesn't seem like much more than I received before the patch. The liquid humanity drop rate in other areas seemed even lower (as in, I could go through areas multiple times before killing the boss and not get a single liquid humanity drop). On the other hand, the drop rate of SOLID humanity from rats seems to have gone way up. I'd say a 20% drop rate for the rats seems pretty accurate.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I've had the opposite experience. Since the patch I've gotten much more liquid humanity than I had previously in pretty much every area. Considering before I pretty much never got liquid humanity no matter how many enemies I've killed, now I'll get 1-2 a run.

Farming solid humanity from rats seems to be loving with me, though. I'll have five runs with no humanity and then suddenly four in one go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know, in general, Humanity drop rates have increased, but is there a best place to get hard humanity drops?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Feenix posted:

I know, in general, Humanity drop rates have increased, but is there a best place to get hard humanity drops?

The best place is still probably farming the infinitely-respawning skeleton babies in the water just before Nito. I haven't tried it since the patch, though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
So I decided to make a new dude for 1.05 and holy poo poo has the game progress changed, I ended up with so many more souls despite my not dying anywhere near as much meaning I didn't get an opportunity to amass souls while re-running areas, the increase in boss souls is loving immense.

Also I went down to Vamos to get my Uchigatana fired up and then murdered him for his hammer after realising it would be ages before I'd get to +10fire/+5chaos it, and later on when I got the washing pole I wanted fire or something else that just wasn't lightning.

Had to settle for lightning because I murdered vamos...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know for sure what basically ANY of the numbers mean in Dark Souls. Its like playing Final Fantasy Tactics except that people have had 15 years to figure out what the actual mechanics of FFT are.
What numbers are you confused about?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The best place to farm ANYTHING is Seath's chamber and the clams, because the bonfire is so drat close to enemies with an absurdly high drop rate of one of the most valuable items in the game. Even the kiln can't compete with that in efficiency.

lohli posted:

What numbers are you confused about?
How exactly damage is calculated. All I ever hear is "well, this weapon does more damage than this one most of the time".

edit: including how your base stats contribute to weapon attack power, since those A/B/C rankings are just obfuscations.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 29, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Schwartzcough posted:

The best place is still probably farming the infinitely-respawning skeleton babies in the water just before Nito. I haven't tried it since the patch, though.

I'm not that far yet. Would that mean Rats in the Depths is my best option?

[edit] And to be clear, I'm not looking to like rape-farm the game of Humanity. I just need to score some Hard Humanity so I can summon when I feel like it. I'm fresh out, and I seem to be in a totally playable, but often dangerous area of the world where I lose my liquid a lot.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Feenix posted:

I'm not that far yet. Would that mean Rats in the Depths is my best option?

For early game rats are your best bet, yeah. It doesn't take long to do a single run and with one humanity + gold serpent ring you'll have them drop pretty often.

e: Or you could just kill some valueless NPCs.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
I just noticed, you don't get invaded by Forest Covenant people in the forest in human form anymore if you beat Sif. That's a bummer.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Haha. I figured I may as well try and get the all weapons trophy on my main guy. I'm on my NG++ that I started yesterday and at Anor Londo. I figure I'd need Ornstein's soul, since I've only ever killed big fatty before. So I bring in two phantoms and tell them and we have an absolutely epic battle. It turns out Big O is not that bad, but you do so little damage to him on NG++ that it would take forever without some buddys.

When I de-hollowed myself to summon my buddies I immediately got kicked from the bonfire and invaded by some guy dressed in Smough's armour with a bleed weapon that was hopelessly ineffectual against me. He kept trying to bait me into the room with the two black knights and the drakes' heads on the wall, but I wasn't playing. I eventually hid behind the column outside that room and jumped him when he came out.

Serves him right for his cowardly tactics!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Surely the depths is the best, given the rats that are fairly close to a bonfire and that the area itself is far more convenient to get in and out of.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How exactly damage is calculated. All I ever hear is "well, this weapon does more damage than this one most of the time".

iirc damage is pretty much a matter of subtracting the armour and relevant resistance values from the weapon's relevant stats, with strong attacks and two handed having multipliers that are applied at the factorial stage rather than as the final part of damage calculation.

I can do some experimenting later on, and even start trying to put together lists of enemy resistances and armour values.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cyberdud posted:

I just noticed, you don't get invaded by Forest Covenant people in the forest in human form anymore if you beat Sif. That's a bummer.
They should have tied it to the Hydra, a completely optional boss.

Anyone want to assist me on O&S at level 1? I can't see this going very well.
edit: Why was beating O&S at level 1 one of the easiest fights against O&S I've ever had :psyduck:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 29, 2011

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Well I decided to go with the Demons Greataxe because I think with time and hard work(lol) it will prove really formidable in PVP. Reading about how targeting works, I think I will rarely use it with this weapon so I can do the quick adjustments to the location like Havel does. Hitting for 1.2k on 2h R2 is pretty cool, not to mention the regular hits.

Does anyone know if a greataxe can ever "combo"? If not, does it ever stunlock? I have no idea what those terms mean in this game or how they work

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The greataxes don't combo but they will stun in one hit if they are under 76 poise which is essentially a free stunlock. The R2 is garbage but the roll attack is pretty good.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Only died once to the Anor Londo snipers :) Got my Uchi to Lighting +4, it's so good now. That Crystal Halberd you can pick up was really nice and did quick work of those stupid lightning dudes.

So if I want to be summoned I'm guessing I put my sign down around the outside staircase? Or is there a spot inside people summon from too?

Considering breaking my RoFaP. I would much rather wear Havel's and Dark Wood Grain so I can run around in Black Iron or Havel sets doing backflips.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Eej posted:

The greataxes don't combo but they will stun in one hit if they are under 76 poise which is essentially a free stunlock. The R2 is garbage but the roll attack is pretty good.

Ahh thanks.

What is the difference between stun and stagger? The same? And what mitigates combos if anything when they connect?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I can't get over how useless the Boss Soul Weapons are. The Great Lord Greatsword is some kind of bad joke. And the Horn of the Moonlight Butterfly... lol

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I have a couple of questions for you Dark Souls masters, I'm just not sure about a few of these things.

First, I thought you wouldn't get invaded if you weren't in human form. Is this not true in the forest? I beat the hydra and went up the waterfall to the forest and I'm constantly being attacked by 1-3 shadowy guys which I can only assumer are invaders. I've never been in human form though. Am I just supposed to try and run through the forest? I have no idea what is through there(you don't have to tell me), or if I should have accessed it previously through some other area. All I know is I will kill a couple shadowy dudes, then more will come and I'll eventually die :(. It did result in some funny situations though, I came up the little ramp and was getting pegged with arrows from the right. So I ran over there and some girl is just firing off arrows at me, but standing pretty close to the edge of the cliff. I just sprinted up and kicked her off. As I was laughing I heard someone else coming and turned around in time for a guy to take a jumping attack at me. I saw it early enough to just lock on and strafe around him and then kicked him off as well. Then I got invaded by two more guys who killed me. If it was just one guy I think I'd be okay, but there always seems to be a melee guy that I am dueling with and some dude just casting soul arrows or something at me constantly that I can't avoid enough.

Okay, second question. I had a busy day and beat the gargoyles, hydra and Capra yesterday but now I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. I can get to blighttown through the valley of drakes entrance underneath firelink, or I can go to the catacombs through the graveyard, or I can go through the forest and get ganked constantly, or I can fight the big cat things across from where I'm getting ganked in the forest. Is there somewhere past Capra that I am missing? He dropped a key and I didn't think I saw anywhere to go down there but I could have missed it. I'm kind of at a loss as to what's happening in this game, I just go around and kill stuff and then get killed a lot. Am I just not far enough to really be into the story yet? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. Don't get me wrong though, I can't stop playing it, it's the most interesting game I've played in a long time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

I can't get over how useless the Boss Soul Weapons are. The Great Lord Greatsword is some kind of bad joke. And the Horn of the Moonlight Butterfly... lol
I underestimated the horn until I started using it with my int character, it is good against a few otherwise very tough, mostly shield carrying enemies. It's a good complement to magic I think.

edit: I have the moonlight sword too, but my character just isn't built to be exposed to the kind of damage you take while swinging a sword like that. Its running 360 degree slash is glorious though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 29, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If I kill Petrus after rescuing Reah from ToG will she stay in the Parish forever?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I underestimated the horn until I started using it with my int character, it is good against a few otherwise very tough, mostly shield carrying enemies. It's a good complement to magic I think.

The Dragon Bone Fist is actually alright against the first enemies you run into at the Firelink Shrine. My guy has 50 STR, so that might be why. But you can upgrade it to +5 and buff/enhance it I guess.

It might not be useful anywhere after the Undead Burg right enough.

Gwyn's Sword should be better though you would think? It should at least be on fire!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

DoctaFun posted:

Forest dudes

Those aren't players, they're part of the Forest Covenant.

DoctaFun posted:

Where to now?

You can go down to the Depths (Use the key from Capra Demon on a door downstairs from him) or Blighttown (recommend the VoD entrance since it cuts out most of the BS. You can go back and get the loot from the first half later if you want)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Volitaire posted:

If I kill Petrus after rescuing Reah from ToG will she stay in the Parish forever?
She'll stay until you buy all of her miracles.

DoctaFun posted:

I have a couple of questions for you Dark Souls masters, I'm just not sure about a few of these things.

First, I thought you wouldn't get invaded if you weren't in human form. Is this not true in the forest? I beat the hydra and went up the waterfall to the forest and I'm constantly being attacked by 1-3 shadowy guys which I can only assumer are invaders. I've never been in human form though. Am I just supposed to try and run through the forest? I have no idea what is through there(you don't have to tell me), or if I should have accessed it previously through some other area. All I know is I will kill a couple shadowy dudes, then more will come and I'll eventually die :(. It did result in some funny situations though, I came up the little ramp and was getting pegged with arrows from the right. So I ran over there and some girl is just firing off arrows at me, but standing pretty close to the edge of the cliff. I just sprinted up and kicked her off. As I was laughing I heard someone else coming and turned around in time for a guy to take a jumping attack at me. I saw it early enough to just lock on and strafe around him and then kicked him off as well. Then I got invaded by two more guys who killed me. If it was just one guy I think I'd be okay, but there always seems to be a melee guy that I am dueling with and some dude just casting soul arrows or something at me constantly that I can't avoid enough.

Okay, second question. I had a busy day and beat the gargoyles, hydra and Capra yesterday but now I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. I can get to blighttown through the valley of drakes entrance underneath firelink, or I can go to the catacombs through the graveyard, or I can go through the forest and get ganked constantly, or I can fight the big cat things across from where I'm getting ganked in the forest. Is there somewhere past Capra that I am missing? He dropped a key and I didn't think I saw anywhere to go down there but I could have missed it. I'm kind of at a loss as to what's happening in this game, I just go around and kill stuff and then get killed a lot. Am I just not far enough to really be into the story yet? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. Don't get me wrong though, I can't stop playing it, it's the most interesting game I've played in a long time.
1. No, those are just NPCs in the forest.

2. The standard path is Depths -> Blighttown, then Sen's -> Anor Londo. You can skip to Blighttown, like you've noticed. Down in the Depths there is the Gaping Dragon and the standard entrance to Blighttown.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 29, 2011

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I have the moonlight sword too, but my character just isn't built to be exposed to the kind of damage you take while swinging a sword like that. Its running 360 degree slash is glorious though.

Doesn't the moonlight greatsword have the same attack pattern as the Claymore? If so, it should swing fast enough that most enemies can't hit you before your attack hits.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I've been rocking a +4 black iron set for a little while now but just got the dark wood ring and can't ninja-flip with black iron unfortunately, I think my max equip weight is like 82 without Havel's and the black iron puts me at just about 50% of that without even equipping a weapon.

I'm looking into upgrading either brass or silver knight as a medium weight armor but was hoping someone could recommend which would be a better set to dump a ton of twinkling titanite into.

also wondering what I should be wearing for the four kings fight which I'm going to be doing pretty quickly.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Thanks guys! That clears everthing up. I think I'll try going to the depths, although I might go kill a few of the forest covenant guys because they were dropping 3-5K souls. I'll leave blighttown for later as I just get toxified or fall to my death there a lot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Despite having 220 hours played I have yet to get through Anor Londo (yea yea I take things slow) and I just got to the dragon trophy room. Pretty cool room. It would have been cooler as a great hall though. Got Symbol of Avarice from one of the many mimics so that was great, but why would I ever wear it? It drains my health so invading with it seems like it'd be a dumb move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Scoobi posted:

Despite having 220 hours played I have yet to get through Anor Londo (yea yea I take things slow) and I just got to the dragon trophy room. Pretty cool room. It would have been cooler as a great hall though. Got Symbol of Avarice from one of the many mimics so that was great, but why would I ever wear it? It drains my health so invading with it seems like it'd be a dumb move.
Pros:
1. It gives significant bonuses to both item find (200) and souls acquired (20%).
2. You head turns into a Mimic.

Cons:
1. It weighs 10 pounds.
2. Doesn't stack with the Serpent rings the Gold Serpent Ring, but it does stack with the Silver one.
3. It drains health.
4. You head turns into a Mimic.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 30, 2011

• Locked thread