Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anymore updates on the Last Guardian? Or is that game pretty much canceled at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I doubt that Skyrim will ever be worth buying for the PS3.

The Last Guardian isn't canceled. There was a small bit of new info that comes with Ico/SotC.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

I would have played MGO a hell of a lot more if it didn't have Konami ID, god awful hit stun, and invincibility frames. Seriously, what the gently caress how could Konami make an online shooter with invincibility frames and hit stun?! It's like a worse version of Lost Planet.

Konami ID was scrapped for future games. The customization was really cool. Let's hope if MGO is renewed and not a co-op online single player that it's better. Such great potential!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I said come in! posted:

Has there been anymore updates on the Last Guardian? Or is that game pretty much canceled at this point?

Exclusive to the PS4!!!!!!

It's definitely not cancelled, but hardly any news drips out ever. I'm hoping we'll get a solid release date at E3, but I sorta doubt it.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Boy am I glad I only paid $8 for Bulletstorm.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Flying Milton posted:

Boy am I glad I only paid $8 for Bulletstorm.

You didn't like it? :( Bulletstorm is one of my favorite first person shooters. I liked how few scripted events and cutscenes there were. It just lets you play the game and flows from one level to the next really well. The level were long too, compared to way to many FPS titles over the last few years that now copy Call of Duty's formula of 5 minute at a time levels.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, Bulletstorm is easily the best FPS I've ever played. I even laughed out loud at some of the dialogue, which I don't think I've ever done with a game before.

The part where you control the robot T-Rex was so awesome.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I enjoyed my playthrough, and thought the dialogue was over the top hilarious. I mean, no one actually talks like that, and to hear the characters spout off such ridiculous nonsense was pretty funny. The weapons were a lot of fun as well, although I kept getting trapped in the "there's something I should be doing" mindset when going into combat. Like after I machine gunned down 20 or 30 dudes I would notice the giant thing I was supposed to shoot down to squish them all.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rakanakle posted:

Yeah, Bulletstorm is easily the best FPS I've ever played. I even laughed out loud at some of the dialogue, which I don't think I've ever done with a game before.
Likewise. I didn't beat it, but I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than any other non-Valve FPS of recent memory. That one big reveal where you first see the drat / waterfall / whatever it was region... and then 3 hours later, you're ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VALLEY AND CLIMBING ON IT was just... god drat. Beautiful game, hilariously fun, etc.

If it had had co-op / MP, I would have spent a lot of time pointing at it going "why are people STILL buying Gears when this is here?". As it is, it was simply a really freaking awesome FPS that deserves some play.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I was quite pleasantly surprised by Bulletstorm, though in no small part because the marketing for that game was abysmal. All of the 'dicktits' nonsense actually sold the game short: it's a bright colourful game with interesting weapons and rewards for using the combat creatively rather than just 'go here -- shoot dude in head -- move on'. Some of the characters were at least mildly interesting, even if the story really didn't seem to go anywhere.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Likewise. I didn't beat it, but I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than any other non-Valve FPS of recent memory. That one big reveal where you first see the drat / waterfall / whatever it was region... and then 3 hours later, you're ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VALLEY AND CLIMBING ON IT was just... god drat. Beautiful game, hilariously fun, etc.

If it had had co-op / MP, I would have spent a lot of time pointing at it going "why are people STILL buying Gears when this is here?". As it is, it was simply a really freaking awesome FPS that deserves some play.

Yeah, the scuttled co-op is really quite unfortunate.

Bulletstorm had some shortcomings but it was a drat fun game well worth the time and money. Plus the lease/kick mechanics are :krad:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ChetReckless posted:

I was quite pleasantly surprised by Bulletstorm, though in no small part because the marketing for that game was abysmal. All of the 'dicktits' nonsense actually sold the game short: it's a bright colourful game with interesting weapons and rewards for using the combat creatively rather than just 'go here -- shoot dude in head -- move on'. Some of the characters were at least mildly interesting, even if the story really didn't seem to go anywhere.

The only marketing I even remember from Bulletstorm is the fact that they set up a hamburger booth at the 2010 E3 called Burgerstorm. Free hamburgers, all day. With names like Gangbang burger (three patties and a squirt of cock sauce) and the Afterburner (chopped jalapeno topping). Always a massive lineup, but the burgers were serviceable, and of course, free.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The only marketing I even remember from Bulletstorm is the fact that they set up a hamburger booth at the 2010 E3 called Burgerstorm. Free hamburgers, all day. With names like Gangbang burger (three patties and a squirt of cock sauce) and the Afterburner (chopped jalapeno topping). Always a massive lineup, but the burgers were serviceable, and of course, free.

I think more games -- nay, all games -- should be marketed with free hamburgers, frankly. Bulletstorm was oddly meat-focused: they also sent raw meat to games journalists.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

I said come in! posted:

The Last Guardian is Sony's answer to Nintendo's Pikmin. They will keep insisting that it's in development throughout the PS3's lifespan and "will be at next year's E3" but will never deliver.

Until the Playstation U.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
They did a Halo 3 ad parody and a pretty funny spoof of Call of Duty (although half the criticisms they were making of CoD were present in Bulletstorm) called 'Duty Calls'.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Looking back at it, maybe 'abysmal' is a little harsh on Bulletstorm's marketing. They did do some cool stuff. I think what turned me off originally was lines like 'Bulletstorm will kick you in the face with awesome', 'Hey, Dicktits, this game ain't gonna pre-order itself' (from a Dev Trailer) or 'play with your enemies like a fat kid with cake' (Oh, Cliffy B.). In retrospect you get a bit of a ironic, satirical vibe from it, but I remember at the time thinking it was earnestly sincere like an XTREME SPORTS game or Duke Nukem or something. I got turned off by the seeming super bro-ishness of the whole thing, when the game is a little darker/weirder than that (though there still is some of that).

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

You didn't like it? :( Bulletstorm is one of my favorite first person shooters. I liked how few scripted events and cutscenes there were. It just lets you play the game and flows from one level to the next really well. The level were long too, compared to way to many FPS titles over the last few years that now copy Call of Duty's formula of 5 minute at a time levels.

It was a throwback and worth a run but enemy variation and actual combat areas weren't all too hot for me. I liked the scoring and stylized killing but it seemed like it could be fleshed out a bit more with some more satisfying guns and environmental hazards.

It was gorgeous though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Flying Milton posted:

It was a throwback and worth a run but enemy variation and actual combat areas weren't all too hot for me. I liked the scoring and stylized killing but it seemed like it could be fleshed out a bit more with some more satisfying guns and environmental hazards.

It was gorgeous though.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. A lot of fun while it lasted, but I'd classify it as a definite rental. It's a good afternoon or two of funny, well-scripted shootybangbang, but it doesn't go quite as far with its concepts as it could have.

That said, I'd say it's an essential rental at the very least.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It will either be one of the last hurrahs for the PS3, or Sony will think "gently caress this, it'd make one hell of a PS4 launch title" and we'll see it in a couple years.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Well it's just come out that Ueda's left Sony, so that's probably going to slow things down a fair bit :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-the-last-guardian-creator-fumito-ueda-leaves-sony-rumour

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Ein Bear posted:

Well it's just come out that Ueda's left Sony, so that's probably going to slow things down a fair bit :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-the-last-guardian-creator-fumito-ueda-leaves-sony-rumour

Oh god no :( Really, really hope it's an unfounded rumour... Ueda is Sony's greatest "prestige" developer, what could they have done to drive him away?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ein Bear posted:

I'll be really sad if this game is canceled, or doesn't turn out that good, but not surprised. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If all of the delays are any indication there's probably some tension between his team and Sony for taking so drat long.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I can see why Sony would be frustrated, Team Ico make amazing games, but they've not released anything for six years. Naughty Dog have managed to make all three Uncharted games in the gap between Shadow of the Colossus and Last Guardian.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ein Bear posted:

I can see why Sony would be frustrated, Team Ico make amazing games, but they've not released anything for six years. Naughty Dog have managed to make all three Uncharted games in the gap between Shadow of the Colossus and Last Guardian.

Ico isn't a good game, so they're only a 50% studio.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Oh, EA. You so crazy.

http://kotaku.com/5863657/ea-wants-to-make-a-dead-space-first+person+shooter-and-more?tag=rumor

Kotaku posted:

EA is looking at new ways to expand Dead Space, an insider told Kotaku. The Dead Space team was apparently told that it must look at ways it can make the series bigger and better. Thus, according to the source, EA is working on a Dead Space first-person-shooter. That's not all.

This would not be a first. Back in 2009, EA released an on-rails Dead Space shooter for the Wii called Dead Space: Extraction. The game, a prequel to the first Dead Space, was ported to the PS3 earlier this year.

EA's desire to expand Dead Space is also apparently why there are plans to make a Dead Space flight game—in short, it's Dead Space, but you're flying ships.

The insider added that after these titles are completed, the Dead Space team is moving forward on "an Uncharted-like game". Work on this game has not started yet, and the title is still supposedly in the early planning stages.

Obviously all way too early and way too sketchy to draw conclusions from. But part of me just wishes they could leave a good franchise well enough alone rather than trying to clone and shoe-horn it into a million different profit centers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's literally exactly what they did to the Medal of Honor franchise including planning an aerial combat based game but then half of those titles never got finished.

I have a feeling that most of that article is bullshit though but if EA wants to make a Colony Wars style game and slap the Dead Space name on it I'm fully okay with that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

quote:

The Dead Space team was apparently told that it must look at ways it can make the series bigger and better.

I really hate that they were "told" what games to make. That's the wrong way to do business. A game developer should be making games that they themselves would actually want to play, and then find out how to make money from it. Developers that do it like this, tend to put out the most creative games. EA's business model has really held back its developers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's the latest dirt about Ueda. He quit Sony and is now a freelancer that will still be involved in completing Last Guardian.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/30/rumor-the-last-guardian-lead-fumito-ueda-quits-sony-working-as/

EDIT: Well Sony considers all of this "rumor and speculation" and wont comment.

quote:

Apparently, The Last Guardian creative lead and Team Ico head Fumito Ueda has quit Sony and is working on Team Ico's latest project as a freelancer. Eurogamer is reporting as much, saying that Ueda's departure from the team has accentuated the ever-growing delay of the project's launch.

The Last Guardian was pushed out of a "holiday 2011" release window earlier this year, and the development team were said to be moving offices this past summer, getting up close and personal with SCE's main HQ. Requests to Sony for comment have gone unreturned as of publishing.

Update: A Sony rep told Joystiq, "Sony doesn't comment on rumors or speculation."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I said come in! posted:

I really hate that they were "told" what games to make. That's the wrong way to do business. A game developer should be making games that they themselves would actually want to play, and then find out how to make money from it. Developers that do it like this, tend to put out the most creative games. EA's business model has really held back its developers.

It's Kotaku, I'd take everything with a massive grain of salt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yodzilla posted:

I have a feeling that most of that article is bullshit though but if EA wants to make a Colony Wars style game and slap the Dead Space name on it I'm fully okay with that.
I'd be down with this. Space combat games are mostly dead.

Someone reverse time so the Lair people just keep making Star Wars flight games instead of dragon romps.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I don't doubt that EA tells their developers to make sequels and so forth but I think it's more likely that a developer says they want to make a sci-fi FPS, space sim, or third person action game and EA tells them to try and fit it into an existing IP because launching new IP is too risky.

Of course this is Kotaku and the games industry so none of these games will ever be made or ever even existed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ein Bear posted:

Insomniac have made three Resistance games and three Ratchet and Clank games before Team Ico have made one. As much as I'm looking forward to Last Guardian, I would understand why Sony is probably losing it's patience.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Well, yeah, but those guys never sleep! :downsrim:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I said come in! posted:

I'll be really sad if this game is canceled, or doesn't turn out that good, but not surprised. :(

Here, let me save you $60 bucks: the giant griffin thing dies saving your life/it turns evil by the end and you have to kill it yourself, the end.

Harlock posted:

I'd be down with this. Space combat games are mostly dead.

Someone reverse time so the Lair people just keep making Star Wars flight games instead of dragon romps.

Screw those girly Rogue Squadron games, I want a next-gen X-wing vs. Tie Fighter game. :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krad posted:

Screw those girly Rogue Squadron games, I want a next-gen X-wing vs. Tie Fighter game. :(

Here let me save you the cash: you win a shitload of missions and your side wins, the end.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.

Ein Bear posted:

I am sorry, but I don't know if I can blame Sony for this one. If the guy thinks he is going to get a better deal anywhere else he is CRAZY.

I am not being a corporate white knight, but I can't think of any other company that would put up with a developer taking this long to make a game. Sony has a history of letting developers do this, too.

Exhibit A: Gran Turismo 5--and they are still allowed to work for Sony after all that. They do great work, but I don't think it paid off for Sony.

Exhibit B: Heavy Rain--David Cage may be cheesed that they made him input Move support rather than do DLC, but after the amount of time and money that game took I am shocked that Sony didn't take his first born. Unlike what Rockstar did with LA Noire, they didn't fire him or shut down the studio. Good for them!

VG-Robot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 30, 2011

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Played 8 hours of Skyrim on PS3 last night, with patch in place. My save file is 10MB. Things were pretty smooth--but honestly, the real game-changer happened when I stopped auto-saving and stopped saving over previous saves. Every save is a new save and I delete old saves every few hours from the XMB.

Before I took any steps to remedy the problem, I was getting crippling stutter/framerate issues in weather and in towns. I don't know whether it's perfect now or not.. all I know it's a massive relief that it's completely playable and I didn't notice a game-breaking problem in 8 hours of play.

Also, if it hasn't been said enough in Skyrim threads, don't grind tradeskills. It made the game unfun for a friend of mine, and he wishes he could undo the grinding so gear would actually matter again and fights would actually be challenging again.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Krad posted:

Here, let me save you $60 bucks: the giant griffin thing dies saving your life/it turns evil by the end and you have to kill it yourself, the end.

I don't know about Ico since I've never played it, but I certainly didn't play Shadow of the Colossus for its barebones story.

I haven't been keeping tabs on The Last Guardian so I don't know what kind of gameplay they have planned for it, but the bigger draw for me would be an innovative set of gameplay mechanics, rather than an engaging story. Both would be nice of course, but I don't play videogames anymore expecting an engaging story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
What did Rockstar do to LA Noire?

• Locked thread