Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VC3 is never getting an English release though, so don't get too attached to the series even if you have a PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's always fan translations. I'm sure eventually someone will get around to it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aardark posted:

Please everyone stop using "anime" as an adjective, because it sounds really loving dumb.

Seconding this, but just be glad that goons seem to have gotten over using 'animu'. That was even dumber.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I have a wrapped copy of FF13 sitting under my TV and Arkham City arrives today (probably in another 12 hours). I'm off. Should I just hold out a little longer?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Code Jockey posted:

I really think so.

Hah, nicely done, I got it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After playing and beating VC, the game's story is just goofy as gently caress. Im playing through it a second time and I am mostly skipping the cutscenes. In any case, its kind of fun because of how easy it is to break the game, and in many cases, its required to get a good rank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the PSP sequel would come out for the PS3, because that made a lot of balance changes and improvements that once you see what they are, kinda make VC not worth playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

I have a wrapped copy of FF13 sitting under my TV and Arkham City arrives today (probably in another 12 hours). I'm off. Should I just hold out a little longer?

Jesus Christ, yes. I actually was less negative about FF13 then a lot of people but AC is in an entirely different zone of quality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I said come in! posted:

I wish the PSP sequel would come out for the PS3, because that made a lot of balance changes and improvements that once you see what they are, kinda make VC not worth playing.

PSP Remasters gotta be worth more than God of War and Monster Hunter, come on Sega!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I actually like being able to break the game, because it really only helps on certain missions. Plus you can always choose just not to do it.

Although some of the optional missions in VC were absolutely infuriating.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

blackguy32 posted:

Although some of the optional missions in VC were absolutely infuriating.

Are you referring to that one where you have to defend a town and not a single unit can enter? Because that mission was maddening, it took me countless saving and reloading to screw with the RNG and figure out enemy positions to win it.

Still, fantastic game, and everyone who hasn't should try it at least.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Flying Milton posted:

The best thing you could probably do is sleep so that you can play AC more when it arrives.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you referring to that one where you have to defend a town and not a single unit can enter? Because that mission was maddening, it took me countless saving and reloading to screw with the RNG and figure out enemy positions to win it.

Still, fantastic game, and everyone who hasn't should try it at least.

That was the main one I was remembering. I had to reload that mission at least 8 or 9 times.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does VC play anything like X-Com because if so then that's an instant buy for me.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does VC play anything like X-Com because if so then that's an instant buy for me.

In that you control people on a map, yeah.

It does have the reaction shots so you can set up ambushes and such so that's similar too.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Yes and Yes. You can probably get it on the cheap now so it's worth gambling on.

As has been stated a lot, the style will turn a lot of people off at the front door, but the turn-based strategy is great fun - especially if you're an old X-Com vet like me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's a demo on PSN too by the way.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Urban Achiever posted:

Yes and Yes. You can probably get it on the cheap now so it's worth gambling on.

As has been stated a lot, the style will turn a lot of people off at the front door, but the turn-based strategy is great fun - especially if you're an old X-Com vet like me.
Try to stick through to at least the... call it third, combat. The game is very front-loaded with anime blah blah story, and between certain combats you'll also hit a glut of story.

So long as you can get through that, and... a particular and very obnoxious character later... you'll be fine.

I still dig the cowardly hippy. "Oohohooo... graaasss is niiiice :3:"

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Aw poo poo. I think I got bit and I'm gonna have to replay VC. Too much talk about this game.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I'm starting to feel that itch as well. Almost makes me want to borrow a PSP and give VC2 a shot while I'm in Brazil next week.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm actually fairly new to the PS3, having gotten a second-hand one a couple of weeks ago. Currently I have:

- Skyrim (because I love Elder Scrolls, although the patching and performance bullshit is putting me off playing it just now)

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (because I love Deus Ex)

- Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (because I LOVE Ratchet and Clank)

- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (I never actually played any and I got this one cos it was cheap and I heard it's the best one, but I seem to be really bad at it so far)

I also borrowed MGS4 off of a friend, which is turning out to be kind of tedious overall and not nearly as fun as Snake Eater.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm open to suggestions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Shalinor posted:

I still dig the cowardly hippy. "Oohohooo... graaasss is niiiice :3:"

Gay John DiMaggio is still the best character, I don't care what anyone else says. "I could get looosst in the mussssscles~!"

e:
Uncharted 1+2 are always a good palce to start, and they've made it even easier to do ti with a "Greatest Hits" pack with both in it.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 1, 2011

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

You should really have played AssCreed 2 before Brotherhood. It seems to have the most story, so Brotherhood probably won't make much sense. And I personally would say 2 is the most impressive of all of the AssCreed games.

I will always recommend you play the Uncharted series. Please, please, please play Uncharted 1 first, then 2, then 3. Don't skip the first one. :(

There's also God of War Collection and God of War 3, if you like that sort of thing.

Did you have an Xbox360, or is this your first HD console? That will expand your library quite a bit. I would also recommend the amazing Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, if you haven't yet.

What types of games do you like?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'll start odd with the normal Dark Souls/Demon's Souls recommendations. They're hard as hell and they might not be for you but if it clicks with you no game will be more satisfying.

I noticed Uncharted isn't on that list, so if you haven't played them, do that.

Also A Crack in Time is even better than Tools of Destruction as far as Ratchet and Clank games go.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

quote:

I guess what I'm saying is I'm open to suggestions

If you're enjoying Tools of Destruction and are a R&C fan, I recommend you pick up A Crack in Time also. I actually had more fun with it than Tools of Destruction. Stay far away from All 4 One.

Saints Row 2 and 3 are enjoyable romps, assuming you haven't played either of them on another console/PC before. If open world/sandbox games are your bag, absolutely positively play Just Cause 2. Everyone should play that game.

PSN is your friend with all of the demos that currently exist. I'd say give the Yakuza demos a whirl and see if they're the type of game for you. I wasn't so hot on Yakuza 3, but I liked Yakuza 4 a lot more.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I don't have a 360 but my PC is decent enough. Haven't played either Batman yet.

I fully intend to pick up A Crack In Time once I finish Tools of Destruction. What about Quest for Booty, is that worth playing or is it too short to be satisfying.

Uncharted is on my hypothetical list, along with the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection, and the Metal Gear HD Collection when that comes out here.

Does the PS3 have anything in the way of good RPGs or are they all underwhelming like FF13?

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does the PS3 have anything in the way of good RPGs or are they all underwhelming like FF13?

I thought NIER was great and pretty refreshing, but the gameplay isn't thrilling. Well, it is compared to FFXIII I suppose.

Resonance of Fate has neat combat but the story and setting is completely dull.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Nier has already been recommended, but I also liked Resonance of Fate a lot, but (also like Nier) it's not a PS3 exclusive.

Edit: Resonance of Fate? Dull setting? Does not compute. That clockwork arcology is one of the cooler settings I've seen in a game. The story deliberately takes a back-burner, though. For about 3/4 of the game, the characters are deliberately avoiding getting caught up in anything that might look like a dramatic save-the-world plot. They just want to live their lives.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't know what you're looking for in an RPG, but Ressonance of Fate is alot of fun, if a bit hard to learn.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You also get to play dress up and mod guns to have 8 barrels and 5 scopes. I loving loved that game even if the story sucked balls when it went for drama instead of the daily life of Vashyron.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr Snofeld posted:

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (because I love Deus Ex)

Play this on hard difficulty, kill nothing, trip no alarms, and enjoy the best thing ever [especially being a Deus Ex fan already]

Also really pretty much what Harlock said about Yakuza 3 and 4, but I had a slightly different experience - 3 was great, 4 was mindblowing. And if you like SRPGs, pick up the currently discussed Valkyria Chronicles, it's the bee's knees. Aside from that RPG wise I'd recommend The Saboteur, in which you play the role of a foulmouthed irish guy who trolls Nazis with explosives and fast cars. :v:

My copy of Nier still sits sealed on my shelf. I need to play that already, drat it. Probably when I finish FF8.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Resonance of Fate? Dull setting? Does not compute. That clockwork arcology is one of the cooler settings I've seen in a game. The story deliberately takes a back-burner, though. For about 3/4 of the game, the characters are deliberately avoiding getting caught up in anything that might look like a dramatic save-the-world plot. They just want to live their lives.

I'm just not really interested in the whole steampunk/clockwork aesthetic. Plus all the crazy gun modding I heard about doesn't actually change the model so when people say you get to stick a hundred scopes and barrels on something it's just a graphic in a menu.

I admit I spent a lot of time playing dress up though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Rakanakle posted:

I admit I spent a lot of time playing dress up though.

I'm glad this wasn't just me. For me, every mission ended up being just about unlocking new outfits for Leanne, and earning enough money to buy them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Vanquish is a pretty fun run and gun game too. Gets hectic as gently caress at times, and looks gooooooooooooooood.

... I still need to beat it, jesus I've been playing it on and off for months!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

I fully intend to pick up A Crack In Time once I finish Tools of Destruction. What about Quest for Booty, is that worth playing or is it too short to be satisfying.

QFB is only 3-4 hours long and there's no real reason to play again (no challenge mode or anything). Storywise there's nothing too essential, and the intro to ACiT sums it up pretty well. It's still pretty fun, and lots of the Pirates which is always a plus.:yarr:

The uncharted trilogy is also a must.

If you don't have an Xbox 360, Red dead redemption is a fantastic game if you like GTA, as is LA Noire if you like older adventure-style games mixed with GTA mechanics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aardark posted:

Please everyone stop using "anime" as an adjective, because it sounds really loving dumb.
They do that on Japanese messageboards too, I think it is perfectly reasonable and very descriptive.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Spalec posted:

If you don't have an Xbox 360, Red dead redemption is a fantastic game if you like GTA, as is LA Noire if you like older adventure-style games mixed with GTA mechanics.

Oh yeah, if you don't have it, Red Dead Redemption is awesome as hell. It and Saboteur are basically GTA Done Better Than GTA (c)

e. Come to think of it, I want John Marston and Sean Devlin in our PS3 Smash Bros game!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 1, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

Oh yeah, if you don't have it, Red Dead Redemption is awesome as hell. It and Saboteur are basically GTA Done Better Than GTA (c)

The Saboteur is nowhere near as polished as GTA or RDR, and that put alot of eople off of it. However, it is still a whole lot of fun, and worth checking out.

If you're looking for a true GTA Done Better than GTA©™ game, look to Saints Row 2 and 3. They are so much fun.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpacePig posted:

The Saboteur is nowhere near as polished as GTA

Really? How so? Not meaning to jump on you but I'm curious.

I guess the driving aspects are certainly weaker, but I think overall I had more "fun" than with the GTA games [bear in mind I haven't played 4 yet]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Code Jockey posted:

Vanquish is a pretty fun run and gun game too. Gets hectic as gently caress at times, and looks gooooooooooooooood.

... I still need to beat it, jesus I've been playing it on and off for months!

gently caress that lovely game.

• Locked thread