Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Jimbot posted:

The PS3's interface has been called many things but this is the first time I've ever seen it be called "poo poo" and "obtuse" outside the console warrior context. It only really get cluttered with the system options - which could be organized better - but getting to the store and to your game is three or four movements away.

Yeah, after dealing with the awful Xbox 360 dashboard and its many terrible iterations since launch, along with the goofy Wii interace, the XMB is downright fantastic. It's just so quick and responsive and easy to get to where you want to go that I cannot fathom why somebody would dislike it unless they just have some goofy anti-Sony frame of mind that they're firmly locked into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gametrailers.com has a preview of the Japanese version of Ni no Kuni: White Witch http://www.gametrailers.com/video/import-preview-ni-no-kuni/724483 The new JRPG from Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. The plan is to release the game early next year, exclusively for the PS3, in North America.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Since people think by "obtuse" I meant how to press buttons, let me explain myself with an example.

In the display menu I selected 1080p, then played a game and it suddenly drops to 480i. I was confused. Then found out I had to select 480p and 720p as well. This is an obtuse design flaw. There is no need for it if I can display 1080p. Why do I have to select all possible resolutions?

It's like iPhone ui vs android ui. Although that might open up another can of worms.

As for the controller, ever since the dreamcast it feels unnartural for the analog stick to be below the dpad. Plus the concave thumb pad feels comfortable on my thumbs vs the convex like the ps3 has.

It's my opinion. Deal with it or get angry and look like a dumb dick.

No need to be console warrioring on me :)

Got 3d dot hero, demon souls, Valkyrie chronicles, little big planet 2, and resonance of fate. Buying siren later. Yakuza is on my watch list. Keep the suggestions coming and leave the console warrioring for gamefaqs :)

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

In the display menu I selected 1080p, then played a game and it suddenly drops to 480i. I was confused. Then found out I had to select 480p and 720p as well. This is an obtuse design flaw. There is no need for it if I can display 1080p. Why do I have to select all possible resolutions?

Some displays, believe it or not, actually do not support all resolutions between 480p and 1080p.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Since people think by "obtuse" I meant how to press buttons, let me explain myself with an example.

What game was this for? The PS3 doesn't upscale games by default like the 360 does, developers have to implement it on a per-title basis.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

What game was this for? The PS3 doesn't upscale games by default like the 360 does, developers have to implement it on a per-title basis.

The newest ratchet and clank game. It struck me as odd because my pc and 360 just "knew" what resolutions my HDTV could do, went to the max, and I was done. No need for inputs from the user. But i had to tell the ps3 what to do, in great detail what my hdtv can do. It doesn't make the thing any less of a game console. It just make the interface unintuitive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The newest ratchet and clank game. It struck me as odd because my pc and 360 just "knew" what resolutions my HDTV could do, went to the max, and I was done. No need for inputs from the user. But i had to tell the ps3 what to do, in great detail what my hdtv can do. It doesn't make the thing any less of a game console. It just make the interface unintuitive.

Really? My roommate's 360 didn't know dick about the tv it was plugged into. We had to reset the options at some point because it refused to display correctly.

And oh god the dashboard, I still have no idea how to navigate that terrible thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

See. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Regardless of opinion or "fact", if its multiplatorm I'm NOT gonna get it for the ps3. Please don't recommend it :)

Recommend more off the wall poo poo like 3D Dot hero please :)

The OP has lots of good game recommendations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The first time I booted my PS3, it ran through a setup thing that asked me to select all of the resolutions my TV could support, or to let it auto-detect. I've literally never had a problem adjusting to different TVs, either.

I have very little experience with the Dashboard, but remember not being able to figure anything out on my cousin's 360, and giving up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Everytime I hear about controllers, it almost feels like there is a rare breed of people that are capable of adapting to different controllers. 360 controller? Lay index fingers on trigger, just thumb for d pad. ps3 controller? Lay the first and second fingers on the triggers, thumbs on d pad.

As for the resoultion, I use to have a problem with that. Mostly because my former HDTV could only support 480p and 1080i (kinda reason why CRT HDTVS suck) but once I got my new tv, I just selected all options of what resolution I get and bam all done.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

The OP has lots of good game recommendations.

It does, but there are somethings missing (like siren) and I was curious if there were forgotten weird rear end gems that might have been overlooked

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It does, but there are somethings missing (like siren) and I was curious if there were forgotten weird rear end gems that might have been overlooked

Probably, we just get this question a lot. A lot, a lot.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It's like iPhone ui vs android ui. Although that might open up another can of worms.

As for the controller, ever since the dreamcast it feels unnartural for the analog stick to be below the dpad. Plus the concave thumb pad feels comfortable on my thumbs vs the convex like the ps3 has.

It's my opinion. Deal with it or get angry and look like a dumb dick.

No need to be console warrioring on me :)

Got 3d dot hero, demon souls, Valkyrie chronicles, little big planet 2, and resonance of fate. Buying siren later. Yakuza is on my watch list. Keep the suggestions coming and leave the console warrioring for gamefaqs :)

Nobody else is console warrioring here, though it's cute that you try to turn it around as such. You couldn't even make it a single sentence without resorting to hyperbolic statements about what were apparently resolution settings, which isn't really the UI (the UI is very much pushing buttons, which may have caused the confusion), but whatever, nobody here is angry, we're just trying to correct strange statements right out of the gate.

As others have said, PS3 games have their own native resolutions, and while some of them upscale, others are stuck at 720p. Most modern A/V equipment with an HDMI port is capable of relaying what resolutions it supports; my receiver and TV both do this, so I guess yours is skipping that step. Just check the 720p option as well as 1080p and you'll be golden -- you'll literally never have to deal with it again (though if you have a receiver, you might want to check on the audio settings too to make sure they were reported correctly to the system via HDMI, since it scans for that info too).

We've had the whole symmetrical/asymmetrical analog stick debate more than a few times over the years in these threads (I still insist that if it's comfortable for your right hand, it shouldn't be uncomfortable to your left unless you're holding the controller wrong), so I don't want to stretch that out any more, but I'm in total agreement about the convex/concave thing. I'll never understand why Sony dropped that from their first dual analog controller - the material was a lot rubberier like the 360's sticks too, and it was great for small adjustments. There's just not enough fidelity to movements when you have to push from the outside rather than flattening your thumb and steering from the middle, but they have caps you can put on the sticks to fix that if you want. Same with the triggers (which, if history is any indication, will be the next complaint).

I remarked about the controller in the first place because you used a bunch of hyperbole there, too, about it destroying your thumbs or something. Held right, there's no reason why it would be any different for your right and left hands, so hopefully those tips earlier will help a little. They're definitely very different controllers, but I like each for different reasons.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah, after dealing with the awful Xbox 360 dashboard and its many terrible iterations since launch, along with the goofy Wii interace, the XMB is downright fantastic. It's just so quick and responsive and easy to get to where you want to go that I cannot fathom why somebody would dislike it unless they just have some goofy anti-Sony frame of mind that they're firmly locked into.

While it seems the interface thing has been put to bed, I just had to chime in that the PS3 XMB is so consistent for me that I'm routinely able to enter a game or the store before my TV fully turns itself on (yeah, it's old and even new bulbs are poo poo for me) or switches input. I know that's mostly muscle memory, but I think it speaks to the responsiveness and consistency of the interface as well.

I know, small thing, but for some reason I always take note of it and smile when my TV fully brightens up and the loading screen for Arkham City is already doing it's thing.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Probably, we just get this question a lot. A lot, a lot.

I'm this thread does, which is why I asked here. I figured there'd be some seasoned posters here who could answer that quick lol.

The newer ps3 consoles are region free right? Any import friendly titles to note?

Also just got a $50 psn card. Got a list of sweet games ONLY for the ps3?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Every PS3 ever made is region-free for PS3 games.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
I think there might be one or two exceptions, such as Stranglehold which is region locked because of the included blu-ray film on the disc.

Nice PSN games: If you're after weird or arty I'd suggest Flow, Noby Noby Boy, Flower, the upcoming Journey (out next year). I'm sure I'm missing a good bit but the other guys'll know :)

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 1, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Also just got a $50 psn card. Got a list of sweet games ONLY for the ps3?

Flower, Joe Danger, Pixeljunk Monsters, inFamous, and Super Stardust HD are frequently recommended.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Sunk maybe one hundred hours into these two PSN games: PixelJunk Monsters and Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars (I believe they both have demos).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Wipeout HD with DLC, Godhand. And Pixeljunk games are good, too.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Nice PSN games: If you're after weird or arty I'd suggest Flow, Noby Noby Boy, Flower, the upcoming Journey (out next year). I'm sure I'm missing a good bit but the other guys'll know :)
I still dig Fat Princess, and that probably qualifies as weird. Fun, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For the record, I'm pretty sure the menu tells you to choose all usable resolutions when you're setting that up.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
There is a simple menu spot under the PSN store that has "Exclusive on Playstation Network" as well, which will simply solve what digital download titles are only on ps3. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be easier to just post the goddamn ps3 exclusive wiki list?

I think VGBC recommend me post along with no MULTIPLATFORM is hilarious, since a lot of multiplat titles are now better on ps3 due to additional free content, like Deadspace 2, medal of honor, and LA noire. But y'know, no point telling a brick wall this. By the way if you want to bitch about the controller buy a lovely 3rd party xbox clone, or a XIM keyboard/mouse controller, there are a ton of options for the ps3.

To actually post something relevant, BUY LAIR, a perfect ps3 exclusive VGBC will love.

Katamari forever

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Also, my problem with Vanquish is that I didn't know what I was doing, and had a hard time getting the hang of things. I quit after I beat the first level.

I'd recommend trying the demo. Just use it as a consequence-free playground to explore all the mechanics and weapons, like the seperate melee moves for each gun you're holding, or the different ways to activate AR mode (bullet time).

Try techniques like using your boost kick (melee whilst boosting) onto a piece of cover, ricocheting up and activating AR in mid-air, an using that time to pull off some headshots.

Normal grenades take a few seconds to detonate when they hit the ground, but you can shoot them in mid-air to get them to detonate right in the middle of a huge group of enemies.

I don't care about the overall score, I only look at the number of deaths (there's a trick to prevent the game recording your deaths), percentage of time spent in cover (the lower the better) and the time bonus, which I always aim to have +5000.

In Vanquish, you're not just fast enough to dodge bullets. You're fast enough that you won't have to.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

That loving Sned posted:

Normal grenades take a few seconds to detonate when they hit the ground, but you can shoot them in mid-air to get them to detonate right in the middle of a huge group of enemies.

I got a platinum for this game I never knew about this. WTF. I turned the score HUD off just because I didn't need to know how terrible or awesome I was doing by some numerical counter.

The new Ni No Kuni trailer looks so good. Considering I HATE LOATHE jRPGs this has me really really excited.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

For the record, I'm pretty sure the menu tells you to choose all usable resolutions when you're setting that up.

You are 100% correct. It just seemed so user unfriendly. No other electronic item I have required it. Dvr, 360, pc, laptop, media center. All of them just go "1080p yep have fun". I didn't have to do shot with those. Oh well. It is what it is.

Scyron posted:

You're an idiot.

I'll look into fat princess and wipeout. Noby boy looks interesting. Are pixeljunk games twin shooters? I'm kinda burned out on those =\

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'll look into fat princess and wipeout. Noby boy looks interesting. Are pixeljunk games twin shooters? I'm kinda burned out on those =\

Pixeljunk games are different kinds of games across each one. Shooter is a twin stick shooter (kind of), and I never really enjoyed it, but Monsters is a great tower defense game (though it works a bit better being portable on the PSP version) and apparently Eden is pretty good too, though I haven't played it myself and I'm not really sure what kind of game it is.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

sentrygun posted:

Pixeljunk games are different kinds of games across each one. Shooter is a twin stick shooter (kind of), and I never really enjoyed it, but Monsters is a great tower defense game (though it works a bit better being portable on the PSP version) and apparently Eden is pretty good too, though I haven't played it myself and I'm not really sure what kind of game it is.

Eh. I have a bazillion tower defense games already. Thanks for the update.

Which motorstorm is the best? Best begin local and online multiplayer, thriving community, and craziest poo poo you can do. Also the less sim the better.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

None of the MotorStorm games have any sim characteristics.

It just depends on what setting you're into, but Apocalypse is probably the best one. Apocalypse is the craziest of all of them, with cities full of zombies, exploding and collapsing buildings that change the race track, it's really crazy.

Pacific Rift is more "typical," with fairly-consistent levels with lots of paths, and jungle-themed environments.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Scyron posted:

The new Ni No Kuni trailer looks so good. Considering I HATE LOATHE jRPGs this has me really really excited.

Both the PS3 and DS versions sold terribly in Japan. I have no idea why, I thought they would be all over it. It's odd that the portable version came with a large spell book and the home console version didn't, but unless Level-5 really did drop the ball with them, I'm still looking forward to playing it.

I really liked Noby Noby Boy, and a friend of mine absolutely adored it, but I can tell that it's not a game for everyone. You don't unlock new planets yourself, you're working co-operatively with the entire world, so it's a collaborative effort. It's also the only game I've gotten all the trophies for, as the icons line up to make a picture :3: It's also really cheap, and might possibly be in the Christmas sale, so there's no reason not to pick it up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Calling PixelJunk Shooter a twin stick shooter is like calling Legend of the Guardian a twin stick shooter: there's a lot more to it.

Which reminds me that I need to go back to finish PJS2 at some point...

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How do I redeem a psn code and buy a game online (without using a ps3)? I'll toss this up to being more used to xbox live, so I'm not really familiar PSN.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How do I redeem a psn code and buy a game online (without using a ps3)? I'll toss this up to being more used to xbox live, so I'm not really familiar PSN.
Have to use the system. There's no online storefront.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Harlock posted:

Have to use the system. There's no online storefront.
This is also true of things like resetting the password, by the way. A great deal of the PSN/store-related functionality is system-only.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Shalinor posted:

This is also true of things like resetting the password, by the way. A great deal of the PSN/store-related functionality is system-only.
I think you can do the password thing via https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should also be able to redeem codes there. They won't queue or anything though, you'll need to get them from your Download List in the store.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

What is it witch Japanese console makers still thinking its 1995?

That is really loving stupid. I don't give a poo poo how first world problems this is, its dumb as hell. I can redeem poo poo on steam and live but not psn. What. In. The. Hell.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Scyron posted:

I'm in the same boat. I really don't like JRPGs at all but whenever I see footage of Ni No Kuni I really want to play it v:shobon:v

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That is really loving stupid. I don't give a poo poo how first world problems this is, its dumb as hell. I can redeem poo poo on steam and live but not psn. What. In. The. Hell.

No time to implement features like that when they are being hunted and burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Uh, you can redeem stuff on PSN. Sony just doesn't have a very good website for managing PSN accounts and the like.

I've never tried entering a PS3 specific unlock code into Media Go, but it's worked for me for PSP stuff, so there is a sort of PC based way to do this, even if it isn't terribly good.

Really though, I don't quite understand your complaint. Your PS3 is the only thing that can use the things you're redeeming (besides a few cases with PSP compatibility), you have to be at your console to use these things, why is it a pain to redeem these things at your console?

• Locked thread