Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

No time to implement features like that when they are being hunted and burned.

lol

For the record you can redeem codes online but not purchase poo poo or set anything to download (demos and poo poo) while you are away. In the year of our lord twenty eleven.

sentrygun posted:

Really though, I don't quite understand your complaint. Your PS3 is the only thing that can use the things you're redeeming (besides a few cases with PSP compatibility), you have to be at your console to use these things, why is it a pain to redeem these things at your console?

Because I literally do this all the time. New DLC? Buy online, set to download, waiting for me when I get home. New demo thats a gig? Set to download, there when I get home. Its just something I got used to.

VVV HOLY poo poo Wipeout HD is an insta-buy

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

That loving Sned posted:

Both the PS3 and DS versions sold terribly in Japan. I have no idea why, I thought they would be all over it. It's odd that the portable version came with a large spell book and the home console version didn't, but unless Level-5 really did drop the ball with them, I'm still looking forward to playing it.

I really liked Noby Noby Boy, and a friend of mine absolutely adored it, but I can tell that it's not a game for everyone. You don't unlock new planets yourself, you're working co-operatively with the entire world, so it's a collaborative effort. It's also the only game I've gotten all the trophies for, as the icons line up to make a picture :3: It's also really cheap, and might possibly be in the Christmas sale, so there's no reason not to pick it up.

Sending messages to friends that show up on their noby is pretty fun. Also 2011x multiplier makes that 3,000m stretch into something really special.

I'm not sure if it is an accomplishment but getting to rank 1152/131739 for noby noby boy feels pretty good considering I'm in the Top 10% of contributors to get this princess bitch to Uranus. :smugbert: I doubt the community will get to see Pluto though, that is one far away hunk of rock. Another reason Noby owns is the "hold square"->starts the in game videocapture tool->poop out a youtube sized/encoded video file.

Also while getting the noby cap I thought I'd post this since WipeOut HD was mentioned. Love the ability to do photography in games, sometimes it is nice trying to get a good looking screenshot than worrying about winning or whatever.

edit; why don't more games feature this. I know 360 dev units can poop out screenshots with the help of a pc but so far it is so slim.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 2, 2011

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What is it witch Japanese console makers still thinking its 1995?

That is really loving stupid. I don't give a poo poo how first world problems this is, its dumb as hell. I can redeem poo poo on steam and live but not psn. What. In. The. Hell.
Use the link above your post to redeem it, dude. :confused:

Here it is again...
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Use the link above your post to redeem it, dude. :confused:

Here it is again...
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action

Look a few posts up ;)

Ok. So a third party wired controller doesn't turn on the console. Odd. And Siren is 39.99. A downloadable game from twenty loving eight.

Any disc based copies that are cheaper?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And Siren is 39.99. A downloadable game from twenty loving eight.

It was never released on disc in the US. You might be able to import an English copy for cheaper overseas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of Noby Noby Boy, what planet is girl on now?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Look a few posts up ;)

Ok. So a third party wired controller doesn't turn on the console. Odd. And Siren is 39.99. A downloadable game from twenty loving eight.

PSN game share still work between two people. You could see if anyone wants to split it with you, for only $20 apiece.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of Noby Noby Boy, what planet is girl on now?

Saturn. Probably the best planet next to Earth, so far.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Ok. So a third party wired controller doesn't turn on the console.
The USB ports aren't powered when the system is off. This is literally the thing I'm most pissed about with the PS3.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The newer ps3 consoles are region free right? Any import friendly titles to note?
Policenaut put together a a thread for anything Sony-wise Imports. I'd give recommendations, but my tastes are pretty much giant robot=good.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
You should get Portal 2 man, it comes with some Steam integration you'll like it. :)

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Krad posted:

You should get Portal 2 man, it comes with some Steam integration you'll like it. :)

If you buy new does it still come with a free copy of portal2 on pc?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
vbC, have you tried the latest CoD? I know it's not exclusive, but it really shines on the PS3.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

sentrygun posted:

Really though, I don't quite understand your complaint. Your PS3 is the only thing that can use the things you're redeeming (besides a few cases with PSP compatibility), you have to be at your console to use these things, why is it a pain to redeem these things at your console?

Like he said, being able to queue stuff up remotely and push it to the console while you're away so you don't have to go through the whole redeem/download/install thing really is a time saver (especially with the PS3, which doesn't really have file size limits and thus can take a really long time to pull down and install when you just want to play the game). It's something that is supported on not just the 360, but on stuff like Android devices (dunno if that's the case for iOS stuff too as I don't own any), but it's increasingly something that goes beyond simple convenience to becoming really, really useful. It's a feature that you don't realize how much you miss until you don't have it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

omnibobb posted:

vbC, have you tried the latest CoD? I know it's not exclusive, but it really shines on the PS3.

In addition to this, I think you should totally get the Bioshock games. You've never played games until you play those!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

liquidypoo posted:

In addition to this, I think you should totally get the Bioshock games. You've never played games until you play those!

Eh, I'd say just pick one of the Bioshock games - the second one is really more of the same. Bioshock Infinite though is going to be off the chain.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SamBishop posted:

Like he said, being able to queue stuff up remotely and push it to the console while you're away so you don't have to go through the whole redeem/download/install thing really is a time saver (especially with the PS3, which doesn't really have file size limits and thus can take a really long time to pull down and install when you just want to play the game). It's something that is supported on not just the 360, but on stuff like Android devices (dunno if that's the case for iOS stuff too as I don't own any), but it's increasingly something that goes beyond simple convenience to becoming really, really useful. It's a feature that you don't realize how much you miss until you don't have it.

Its decent but I don't think of it as much of a big deal. Last time I checked, it didn't actually download until you got home anyways. I think by far the most useful feature is the system shut off once its done downloading.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Also, Final Fantasy XIII - decent game! And FFXIII-2 is on the way!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This is cute and all guys, but instead of getting all defensive over some consumer electronic, could we talk about the awesome exclusives for it?

I'll bite the bullet for wipeout hd ($25 holy poo poo) because it is too loving awesome to say no. Is the online community still active?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is cute and all guys, but instead of getting all defensive over some consumer electronic, could we talk about the awesome exclusives for it?

I'll bite the bullet for wipeout hd ($25 holy poo poo) because it is too loving awesome to say no. Is the online community still active?

I'm not getting defensive, I prefer Xbox over the PS3 any day BUT you come into this thread being all like "listen, I bought your lovely system alright, now tell me what to buy but DONT YOU DARE RECOMMEND SOMETHING I CAN PLAY ELSEWHERE BECAUSE I WILL NOT PLAY THEM ON YOUR lovely SYSTEM" just be like, "Hey, I prefer Xbox, what great exclusives are on PS3?"

Nearly all your posts are "PS3 is a piece of poo poo. Tell me what to buy for it."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Make sure to get the expansion too. It more than doubles the content for like ten bucks. And it's not just new tracks, it adds a poo poo load of new modes, all of which are pretty fun.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

omnibobb posted:

Also, Final Fantasy XIII - decent game! And FFXIII-2 is on the way!

I don't even know what the gently caress.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't know why but an FF13 character saying "The cat is my only family!" made me burst out laughing. It's like they're the gooniest JRPG Character.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Final Fantasy XIII-2: The Cat is My only Family :catstare:

^ Beaten: Policeeeeenaaauuut! ^

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Harlock posted:

The cat is my only family!

e:fb!

FF13-2: The Biggest Goon.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Policenaut posted:

I don't know why but an FF13 character saying "The cat is my only family!" made me burst out laughing. It's like they're the gooniest JRPG Character.
The other two options are codependency, so not like they're better options.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Well it makes sense that no one in the FF13 universe would have a turtle as a pet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope Live Choice lets you just troll. Constantly. Just pick the most inappropriate responses at every choice.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I hope Live Choice lets you just troll. Constantly. Just pick the most inappropriate responses at every choice.

If Square Enix employed anyone who wasn't either actually imported from Japan or wasn't intensely integrated into the culture for the Square side of things, I would honestly think this could be a possibility, just as one of those "well, we should do something for the West" suggestions. Sadly, I don't think that's the case, but things might change now that Eidos is almost single-handedly carrying that company.

Everyone thought that was a stupid purchase, but between Hitman (shut up, it's going to be really good), Tomb Raider (if you haven't realized how much better Crystal D is than Core ever was with their own franchise, I genuinely feel bad for you) and Deus Ex ('nuff said), Eidos has kept Square Enix relevant this generation in ways their own stuff couldn't. I'm still pissed they let Monolith Soft get away because I NEED XENOBLADE, DAMMIT.

Wada even admits their Western efforts are far outpacing anything they've tried to do (though I think the Crystal Tools Engine will end up yielding the most impressive results this gen because if Square can do anything, it's make their own stuff look crazy good when they just develop it in-house). Final Fantasy XIII was definitely not as beloved by others as much and I enjoyed it, but there was no debating just how goddamned pretty the game was. If FF XIII-2 keeps that up, I'll just have more eye candy to pour over while QTEing my way through boss fights.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Well even if you called me an idiot I would play with you only to pwn your scrub noob rear end. :) Yeah the community is active after the psn downage (a YCS poster should know all about that) Sony gave the game away for free in every region in the world, so there is a huge resurgence in the community.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is the server for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 still up? From what I can find it looks like MUA2 is still up and running, but I can't find any information on the first game.

Better yet, is there a list somewhere of games where the online has been shut down?

KimchiHead
Jan 10, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I heard red dead redemption is vastly superior on the PS3 than XBOX 350. It's so much better, it may as well be an exculsive. I'd get that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

KimchiHead posted:

I heard red dead redemption is vastly superior on the PS3 than XBOX 350. It's so much better, it may as well be an exculsive. I'd get that.

Was it really? I ended up getting it for the 360 because of a bunch of random comparison stuff I saw online. Honestly, it's hard for me to decide which platform to get games on nowadays because it isn't as clear cut as it was back in the 16-bit days (Mortal Kombat on the Genesis for blood, Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES for more screen, etc).

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

KimchiHead posted:

Not to YCS but no. PS3 only has 1 exclusive hideout for sam which sucks and is useless. You do however get a nice reduced resolution @ 640p, like GTA4, instead of 720. Bugs are about on par and draw distance is the same, with less LOD and less grass on screen.

Nothing that really changes gameplay, only cosmetic changes but with ROCKSTAR being the wisenheims they decided there will be no RDR on pc, so as it stands, 360 only has a slight edge in visuals, nothing more. On a personal opinions the ps3 controls sucked, but I was really holding out for a PC release so I might see some mods, like GTA4.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Scyron posted:

PS3 only has 1 exclusive hideout for sam which sucks and is useless.

You know, I played the game again when the Undead DLC came out, and I swear they patched in that "exclusive hideout" in the main game of the 360 version, since I rode past an area that had a hideout where there wasn't one before. Don't recall the name of it, but I'm assuming it was the same one as the PS3 exclusive one.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

You know, I played the game again when the Undead DLC came out, and I swear they patched in that "exclusive hideout" in the main game of the 360 version, since I rode past an area that had a hideout where there wasn't one before. Don't recall the name of it, but I'm assuming it was the same one as the PS3 exclusive one.

You know what, it could be, I really only remember from when ps3v360 came out and the hideout was touted as exclusive at the time.

I got to play some of RDR from my roomies copy a long time ago but goddamn I wanted a pc version. I just hate the use of microsoft's moon bucks for DLC, nor did I have the space on my hdd. I swore since GTA4 was on pc that I could wait for an eventual PC release. I didn't want to be suckered in and buy the same game twice over like GTA4.

In the end only rockstar loses since I have TONs of other games to play. A real shame and a terrible business decision since I know of at least 3 other PC only players that would have purchased RDR at $50 without the undead nightmare.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
Being as I have some funbux left on my US account and it is on sale, how is Split/Second?
I was really interested in it but then it completely fell off my radar so I've no idea how fun it is or isn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Just when I thought Final Fantasy couldn't possibly sink any lower. The option about the cat is pretty funny though.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Wait, what moronic Assassins Creed apologist is saying anything bad about the new Hitman? It's Hitman the worst iteration was still awesome for a console game.

KimchiHead
Jan 10, 2004

You guys ruined it, I was hoping he would come in with five paragraphs and about two links describing missing objects, lowered resolution and frame rates. I couldn't make it too obvious by saying something like Bayonetta was better on PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

3D Dot Hero is loving amazing. So many little touches that are just amazing.

Still trying to get used to little big planets wonky controls...they feel a bit loose. Not as tight as mario but not as slippery and floaty as past sonic games. Is there a way to download custom levels to play them later offline?

• Locked thread