Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

The Joe Man posted:

Wait, so me not being able to beat the first level boss isn't a fluke? Or do I actually really suck.

I slammed the gently caress out of last monster and I showed this picture of you with last civilan watching over ruined city and and counter of last living survivors is just slowly counting down.

After that the save file is locked out with this alien growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Ok, so I do suck. Thanks for the description though!

*uninstalls*

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Rocketlex posted:

Something I don't get about things like this. If you really don't want players killing certain NPCs, why give them HP at all? I understand if it's a quirk of your engine that everything must have HP, but why is it so common that this happens in MMOs and other RPG games? I don't know much about coding, but is it really so hard to create a "This has no HP. It is not influenced by attacks" flag?

Because players were allowed to kill them after a point.

Doctor_Acula posted:

I used to be a ridiculous MMO addict...to the point where I actually played The Matrix Online. On top of that, I actually played it in beta.

People always talked about different methods they heard of killing Agents, or seeing Neo in various places. Nothing too interesting...

Anyway, for those of you fortunate enough to not have played it, the game had an interesting idle mechanic. If you stood around in the mission zone long enough, the game would spawn an Agent to basically kick your rear end.

The glitch was something my guild (I don't remember what they were called...factions?) used to not only powerlevel the entire guild at once, but to become so ridiculously rich we could control the economy.

Basically, one person would get a mission, and we'd all follow them to the location. They completed the mission, and would just wait around for the Agent to show up. As soon as he would spawn, that player would initiate the jackout command to quit. The Agent would then lose target, since it figured "well, he's quitting, so I'll let that slide."

But if the player then ceased quitting, the Agent just stood there. No target, not hostile. Just stood there. That was where the fun came in.

Agents were immune to any direct combat. They would dodge anything you swung/shot at them.
BUT they were not coded to ignore AoE damage. So everyone would simply target the couch/plant/box near the agent and cast "Logic Bomb" to do AoE damage to the dumbfounded Agent. Eventually he would die, and was worth a bit of XP.

We felt awesome for killing an Agent, but that's not the cool part.

As a failsafe in case someone did manage to kill one of them, the game coded the Agent to instantly respawn, with another Agent. Problem: they were keyed to target the original Agent's target. So now we had 2 dummy Agents in the room.

Cut to 20 minutes later. I think one of my hard drives still has screenshots of rooms full of dozens of Agents. We'd exponentially spawn them until the server crashed.

They patched it pre-retail and slyly called us on our poo poo in the patch notes.

Good times.

Did you know Sundog perchance? I still have the first fanzine from the MxO beta, almost got in it I was that much of a nerd. If it wouldn't have been for my satellite connection forcing me to rubberband all over the place..
MXO is still what I compare my online MMO experiences to, oddly enough. Before it went gold, it had an amazing community and wonderful story experience. Then they sold (SOE took over?).. and it went to poo poo.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 1, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I would play a full campaign of Station 32. Even if it turned to Aliens partway through. That whole thing was really well made.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

With music by FYAD's very own Chef Boyardee no less

McGiygas
Sep 25, 2010

by T. Mascis

RickVoid posted:

I would play a full campaign of Station 32. Even if it turned to Aliens partway through. That whole thing was really well made.
Yeah, it was really polished for something that was made in such a short amount of time. I especially liked the graphical effects that happened when you were in a room with an inferno.

Thaske
May 22, 2005

Cabbages! Knickers! It's not got a beak!

RickVoid posted:

I agree, they could have easily given you a level or two of normal action before dumping the big twist on you, and even then you could still have the second-half action last for a few levels if they had more time. I was really charmed by the firefighting sections.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

gently caress, I honestly wanna play more of this. I would buy a full version on Steam so fast. Especially if there were, A. more twists, or B. once the aliens invaded, you kept doing the same thing, saving people from fires. Just with more aliens.

Or really, just much of anything at all, it's such a cool game.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 3, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Speaking of Majoras Mask. Whats up with the circle of bushes before you enter Termina?

Pages ago, but this was the way the game told you that you weren't in Hyrule anymore. Ocarina of Time players would slash the bushes to get some rupees only for the bushes to run the hell away from them!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

scary ghost dog posted:

Pages ago, but this was the way the game told you that you weren't in Hyrule anymore. Ocarina of Time players would slash the bushes to get some rupees only for the bushes to run the hell away from them!

That's interesting, because I always assumed Link was in Hyrule until he falls down that...shaft thing. I completely forgot about that first set of bushes. Instead, the "portal" seems to be the small wooden tunnel before the area with the Keaton bushes. Weird.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurui Reiten posted:

gently caress, I honestly wanna play more of this. I would buy a full version on Steam so fast. Especially if there were, A. more twists, or B. once the aliens invaded, you kept doing the same thing, saving people from fires. Just with more aliens.

Or really, just much of anything at all, it's such a cool game.
You should probably spoiler this!

Googolplexia
Jul 21, 2009

the Bunt posted:

That's interesting, because I always assumed Link was in Hyrule until he falls down that...shaft thing. I completely forgot about that first set of bushes. Instead, the "portal" seems to be the small wooden tunnel before the area with the Keaton bushes. Weird.

I'm pretty sure the shaft thing IS the portal. Nintendo just put the bushes there as a sort of "that's not quite right" thing before you got to Termina proper. It's like there's a little bit of Termina leaking right outside the real entrance...

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still a fan of the (somewhat incorrect) theory that Link is dead in Majora's Mask. There's just enough evidence that when you squint just right, it makes sense.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Stuntman posted:

You should probably spoiler this!

Ffffff, sorry about that, thanks for the heads up. Completely slipped my mind when I was posting it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rack posted:

I'm still a fan of the (somewhat incorrect) theory that Link is dead in Majora's Mask. There's just enough evidence that when you squint just right, it makes sense.

Wait, what? I've never heard this one before. Care to elaborate?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Wait, what? I've never heard this one before. Care to elaborate?

The one I've heard of (probably not the same as the one he did) is that the whole reason the 3 day cycle constantly repeats until you win the game is because it's some sort of purgatory meets groundhog day sort of place. And winning the game results in the cycle being broken and Link returning to life.

And this is why Link doesn't get to have Epona except at the very first and very last parts.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while, but as I remember it, the gist of it is that anyone wandering the lost woods without a fairy guide dies/turns into a Stalfos (or skull kid), which goes hand-in-hand with the prologue. Then, you just have to imagine that the entire game was a pre-death hallucination. Also, the name 'Termina' and all it's implications. You can even go further and say that that link turned into the dead swordsman from Twilight Princess. I forget the details, but I think several bits of his dialogue bear a lot of references to Majora's Mask.

The reason why it doesn't hold water is because Link has gone through the lost woods alone (again, I forget the details), and also because the games rarely ever connect like that. It's a cool theory, but still a bit of a stretch.

Maybe someone with better memory can fill in the gaps while I'm looking it up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Install Gentoo posted:

And this is why Link doesn't get to have Epona except at the very first and very last parts.

What are you talking about? You get Epona half way through the game.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.

Rack posted:

The reason why it doesn't hold water is because Link has gone through the lost woods alone (again, I forget the details), and also because the games rarely ever connect like that. It's a cool theory, but still a bit of a stretch.

When he goes into the Lost Woods in OOT he has Navi with him, you have to go alone, without a fairy, and not be a Kokiri.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FauxCyclops posted:

When he goes into the Lost Woods in OOT he has Navi with him, you have to go alone, without a fairy, and not be a Kokiri.

Right, but he's not Kokiri, also:

quote:

Supposedly, after the events of Majora's Mask, the Hero of Time returned to Hyrule without Navi or Tatl and therefore could have become lost in the Lost Woods and transformed into one of these skeletal creatures. This seems doubtful, however, as Link was able to find the Sacred Forest Meadow on two occasions, and also made it through the Lost Woods and into Termina despite lacking a Fairy.

Here's a more in-depth write-up about the whole thing that explores both possibilities.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
OoT Link was raised in the forest, and specifically under the watch of the Great Deku Tree. I'm pretty sure he could find his way around if he needed to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Liku posted:

What are you talking about? You get Epona half way through the game.

As I said, this is what I heard as a kid. The story is the Epona you get in the game itself is really a ghost (because Link is dead), and you don't have actual Epona again until the final cutscenes.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rack posted:

Right, but he's not Kokiri, also:

Here's a more in-depth write-up about the whole thing that explores both possibilities.

Yes, he's a not a Kokiri, so he would need a fairy. He had a fairy when he made it to the Sacred Forest Meadow, he never went through alone. And finding a place that's supposedly a dying dream isn't exactly helping the case that he's still alive.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I've always subscribed to the theory that no two Legend of Zelda games contain the same Link or Zelda. The two of them just keep getting re-incarnated hundreds or thousands of years removed, whenever "the world needs them" or something.

I believe this because this is what some friend of mine told me when I first picked up a Zelda game. It makes too much sense to me, now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rocketlex posted:

I've always subscribed to the theory that no two Legend of Zelda games contain the same Link or Zelda. The two of them just keep getting re-incarnated hundreds or thousands of years removed, whenever "the world needs them" or something.

I believe this because this is what some friend of mine told me when I first picked up a Zelda game. It makes too much sense to me, now.

The problem with this is that some games are very clearly the same Link. Phantom Hourglass is obviously a direct sequel to Wind Waker. The manual for Link's Awakening said that it was the same Link as in Link to the Past. The Link at the start of Majora's Mask has Epona and Navi, which implies that it's the Ocarina of Time Link. The two Oracle games very obviously have the same Link/Zelda duo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

quiggy posted:

The problem with this is that some games are very clearly the same Link. Phantom Hourglass is obviously a direct sequel to Wind Waker. The manual for Link's Awakening said that it was the same Link as in Link to the Past. The Link at the start of Majora's Mask has Epona and Navi, which implies that it's the Ocarina of Time Link. The two Oracle games very obviously have the same Link/Zelda duo.

I'm pretty sure the "official" stance is a little bit of both. Some games are directly connected, some games are a matter of Link/Zelda reincarnating across generations.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I swear someone at Nintendo once said "There is no timeline! Shut up, you NERDS!" Now I hear it's actually "There IS a timeline, but it's a secret..." Personally, I'm partial to the interpretation that the games are the same legend (Link saves Zelda from Ganon) retold by different cultures.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tobaccrow posted:

I swear someone at Nintendo once said "There is no timeline! Shut up, you NERDS!" Now I hear it's actually "There IS a timeline, but it's a secret..." Personally, I'm partial to the interpretation that the games are the same legend (Link saves Zelda from Ganon) retold by different cultures.

And I tend to believe that they just made the explanation that hosed with nerds the most, canon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocketlex posted:

Apparently this is actually confirmed in Skyward Sword, at least by my perusing of the Zelda wiki.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Tobaccrow posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo's official stance is "We have a timeline, but if we told people what it was, we'd be held to it. We like to reserve the right to change the timeline if we come up with a better idea."

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

computer parts posted:

Apparently this is actually confirmed in Skyward Sword, at least by my perusing of the Zelda wiki.

Your spoiler is correct.

Also, yeah. It seems clear that they have a general idea of timeline, but know full well that keeping it a secret lets them do whatever whenever.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
If anything the reason is "Nintendo makes the same game multiple times" and they built a mythos around it because the fans thought there was one.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quiggy posted:

The problem with this is that some games are very clearly the same Link. Phantom Hourglass is obviously a direct sequel to Wind Waker.

Can't be the same Link, Nico's an old man in the second and I think Tetra's dead (how a young girl died before a relatively old pirate, I'll never know.)

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

Yes, he's a not a Kokiri, so he would need a fairy. He had a fairy when he made it to the Sacred Forest Meadow, he never went through alone. And finding a place that's supposedly a dying dream isn't exactly helping the case that he's still alive.

Are we trying to make the same point? :confused: I'm trying to say they're not the same Link (that is, he didn't die during MM, nor turn into a skeleton), just that it's an interesting theory with a smidge of believability.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rack posted:

Are we trying to make the same point? :confused: I'm trying to say they're not the same Link (that is, he didn't die during MM, nor turn into a skeleton), just that it's an interesting theory with a smidge of believability.

I always looked at it as being the same Link, and either the Lost Forest poo poo was bull or being Hero of Time gives him an extra bit of protection. Especially since he apparently had some more Time Heroing to do in Termina.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

yaoi prophet posted:

Can't be the same Link, Nico's an old man in the second and I think Tetra's dead (how a young girl died before a relatively old pirate, I'll never know.)

What? No no Phantom Hourglass happened right after Wind Waker with Tetra, Link and the pirate crew traveling the ocean. You're thinking of Spirit Tracks that happens 100 years after that with old man Nico.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
God damnit, this is becoming the worst thread. Can we please stop talking about Zelda Timelines before this thing gets shut down?

Remember the good times? Remember Killswitch? :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

computer parts posted:

This is true, but there are games that share the same Link.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I always looked at it as being the same Link, and either the Lost Forest poo poo was bull or being Hero of Time gives him an extra bit of protection. Especially since he apparently had some more Time Heroing to do in Termina.

The game never explains how one turns into a Stalfos or Skull Kid, it just states thats what happens if you become lost in the forest, so if Link were to hypothetically become lost I'm sure he'd still be able to turn into either of those things. And it might just be "If you die in here you come back as a monster" kinda thing.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Wasn't this reincarnation idea basically the canon plot to Wind Waker? What with the entire game taking place in a future flooded Hyrule where the only land masses are the peaks of the tallest mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

What? No no Phantom Hourglass happened right after Wind Waker with Tetra, Link and the pirate crew traveling the ocean. You're thinking of Spirit Tracks that happens 100 years after that with old man Nico.

Oh, you're right. I always get those two confused.