Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nitr0 posted:

What in the gently caress is Panda antivirus?

Some POS thing that apparently costs like $100 a year.

Edit:
loving the tagline: Enjoy total security. Everything you need to protect your PC, your data, your family… against all kinds of threats

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Tell them to dump that poo poo and get this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

best protection out there right now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nitr0 posted:

I wish. She paid for it for like 4 years in advance. I managed to get it working by installing it in a VM though, so all is well (kinda, it still blocks downloading .nzb files).

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Nitr0 posted:

Seriously, one of few things that Microsoft finally does really well - virus/spyware protection.

e: just because you paid for it doesn't mean you have to use it

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Private Speech posted:

I wish. She paid for it for like 4 years in advance. I managed to get it working by installing it in a VM though, so all is well (kinda, it still blocks downloading .nzb files).

Sunk Cost Fallacy

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

When AV freaks out over SABnzbd, it tends to come down to one of two things:

1) OMG WHY DOES THIS HAVE SQLITE3.DLL?!?!?!

2) WHOA WHOA WHOA NOTHING IN THE WORLD SHOULD NEED ACCESS TO PORT 8080!!!!!!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sickbeard. Can it post process to a UNC path, as long as I run sickbeard.py as a user account that has the appropriate permissions to said path?

Edit: Found a workable solution, just use mklink to create a symlink on the local drive to the share you need. I'll have to do more testing vis a vis permissions but I think that will work.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 1, 2011

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Private Speech posted:

So apparently Panda antivirus blocks the SABnzbd installer download as malware, even if you turn it off. Was doing it for one of my technically less adept friends, but seriously, wtf?

^^^ Panda Security

But, don't use that garbage, just use MSE like everyone else.

Microsoft Security Essentials

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

devmd01 posted:

Sickbeard. Can it post process to a UNC path, as long as I run sickbeard.py as a user account that has the appropriate permissions to said path?

Edit: Found a workable solution, just use mklink to create a symlink on the local drive to the share you need. I'll have to do more testing vis a vis permissions but I think that will work.

I always just mapped the network drive to a letter and it worked fine. Had to do that to get Sickbeard to properly access the pool on WHS.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Just FYI, if anyone is thinking of SuperNews:

"Hello,

The article/articles in question have been removed from our servers to fulfill a DMCA take down request.

For more information regarding DMCA, please see our 'Terms & Conditions' on our website.

Thank you."

I'm expecting this to spread to many more articles as well.

EDIT:

Guess this is old news. Anyone got recommendations for replacements? Non-block preferably.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2011

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I use super news and block news in the past year I've used 50gb of my block account and I don't think I've had a single incomplete. I would imagine you will get incomplete's with any of the major providers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kontradaz posted:

Just FYI, if anyone is thinking of SuperNews:

"Hello,

The article/articles in question have been removed from our servers to fulfill a DMCA take down request.

For more information regarding DMCA, please see our 'Terms & Conditions' on our website.

Thank you."

I'm expecting this to spread to many more articles as well.

EDIT:

Guess this is old news. Anyone got recommendations for replacements? Non-block preferably.

Like you say, this is very old news and this is the solution:

Everyone worth using does this. Just use Supernews and spend a few bucks on a Blocknews account to fill in the missing articles.

What's your problem with using a block account to fill?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

wolrah posted:

I always just mapped the network drive to a letter and it worked fine. Had to do that to get Sickbeard to properly access the pool on WHS.

I have no idea why I didn't think of this, but it works like a charm! :tipshat:

My sabnzbd/sickbeard/couchpotato/torrent machine is now completely virtualized, segregated into a DMZ for firewall rules, and dumping to the file server as it should. The only thing the file server is actually doing is serving files and acting as an iscsi target for vmware backups.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Thermopyle posted:

What's your problem with using a block account to fill?
The problem is that nearly entire multi-gigabyte articles are being taken down, rather than just 10-20% of them or whatever. So overall you end up using your backup block account as much as you use your primary unlimited account. Which is, I dunno, half as economical.

And that's assuming it wasn't taken down from the block account provider as well.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Cheapnews is giving out 10gb trial block accounts. 900+ day retention, no creditcard needed.

http://www.cheapnews.eu/products/

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Usenetnow is the blocknews unlimited version.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

td4guy posted:

The problem is that nearly entire multi-gigabyte articles are being taken down, rather than just 10-20% of them or whatever.

Oh really? I haven't run into that.

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have run into it and just haven't noticed because it was filled from my blocknews account.

I buy something like the 10GB block account 3 or 4 times a year...

I don't recall ever running into a file that I couldn't get in full (unless it was just out of retention).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Is it appropriate to ask about an IRC presence for Usenet? I want to ask some questions that are probably wrong for this thread.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
NZBs.org seems frozen at the moment the usual NZB uploads aren't up yet.

Does anyone know what you need to do to get rights to upload on NZBs?

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

Ingram posted:

NZBs.org seems frozen at the moment the usual NZB uploads aren't up yet.

Does anyone know what you need to do to get rights to upload on NZBs?

You cannot upload NZBs directory to that website or any other website running newznab. The software reads headers posted to Usenet and uses regex to categorize them into releases. It is a completely automated process.

As to your problem, the site should be up to date shortly.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Anyone know the best usenet app for android. I just discovered that this thing can do torrents so now I'm trying to turn it into my computer away from home. Also whats the best way to use android to tell my computer to grab stuff off of usenet?

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

The problem is that nearly entire multi-gigabyte articles are being taken down, rather than just 10-20% of them or whatever.

I've used a little under 1.2 GB of a block account in 6 months and have never run into any problems with completion.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lenins Potato posted:

Cheapnews is giving out 10gb trial block accounts. 900+ day retention, no creditcard needed.

http://www.cheapnews.eu/products/

Looks like the trial only lasts for a week even if you don't use all 10gb.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

maniacripper posted:

Also whats the best way to use android to tell my computer to grab stuff off of usenet?

SAB Sheep if you have an NZBMatrix account.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

SAB Sheep if you have an NZBMatrix account.

Have you tried NZB Air? I haven't tried any of them, but NZB Air looks like it's got a bit better rating.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

maniacripper posted:

Anyone know the best usenet app for android. I just discovered that this thing can do torrents so now I'm trying to turn it into my computer away from home. Also whats the best way to use android to tell my computer to grab stuff off of usenet?
MediaDog is fantastic if you use SickBeard and/or CouchPotato.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

torjus posted:

MediaDog is fantastic if you use SickBeard and/or CouchPotato.

Nice, thanks for that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Have you tried NZB Air? I haven't tried any of them, but NZB Air looks like it's got a bit better rating.

I may have a long time ago. SAB Sheep does everything I need it to do though. It's very handy and very nice.

Looking at the market page for NZB Air, it seems to support more sites, though I can't say how well. On the other hand, while SAB Sheep doesn't fluidly incorporate comments from NZBMatrix, it pops up the comments page in an in-app browser window whereas NZB Air seems to leave them out altogether.

Sheep is cheap and NZB Air has a free version, so try them both out and see what you like more.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
What do you have to do for mediadog to sync with your system, I assume you have to open up those ports to the internet & set a strong password? Anything else?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

While we're on the topic of mobile apps is there anything to control sickbeard and couchpotato on iOS devices? I know the is a cp app for jail broken iPhones but anything on the normal app store?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
port forward it on your router and use the web browser? works fine for me

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Nitr0 posted:

port forward it on your router and use the web browser? works fine for me

Or VPN for the more security conscious.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yea totally. I wouldn't want some fool adding a new show to my sickbeard called gay bangers 4!!!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

One place where this didn't work for me: I wanted to run Sickbeard/SAB out of Task Scheduler. That apparently creates its own instance of a Windows shell without your drive mappings (which are tracked by your explorer.exe).

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I don't know what happened but as soon as I updated from 6.2 to 6.10 SABnzbd stopped being able to connect to my NAS.

Now, when I try to set the complete folder to either the UNC path, a mounted drive connected to the NAS, or a symbolic link to the NAS, I get: "Cannot create complete_dir folder Y:\Video". Y:\ is the mounted drive letter, works fine in Explorer, can create anything and everything in there with Explorer. Running SAB as administrator did nothing. Neither did reinstalling 6.2. Neither did rebooting.

This is all I get from the log:

pre:
2011-12-07 21:07:18,770::INFO::[misc:331] complete_dir directory: Y:\Video does not exist, try to create it

2011-12-07 21:07:18,770::ERROR::[misc:333] Cannot create directory Y:\Video
Any ideas?

Edit: Uninstalling SAB, removing all settings, and reinstalling also did nothing.

Edit2: Neither did installing 6.12.

Edit3: I hate multiple edits but more information is better. Safe mode worked. What the hell is going on?

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 8, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just how much does SSL impact speeds? I'm using 10 connections and barely getting 80-120Mbps.

0x17h
Feb 24, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

Just how much does SSL impact speeds? I'm using 10 connections and barely getting 80-120Mbps.
Unless your computer is ancient, it shouldn't affect anything on a measurable level. I'm running Sickbeard and SABnzbd on an HP Microserver N36L and it maxes out my internet connection of I allow it (50 SSL connections, 3MB/sec download speed).

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

0x17h posted:

Unless your computer is ancient, it shouldn't affect anything on a measurable level. I'm running Sickbeard and SABnzbd on an HP Microserver N36L and it maxes out my internet connection of I allow it (50 SSL connections, 3MB/sec download speed).

Why so many connections? My internet speed maxes out around the same as yours but I saturate at about 4. Doesn't more threads wear out your hard drive?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

maniacripper posted:

Why so many connections? My internet speed maxes out around the same as yours but I saturate at about 4. Doesn't more threads wear out your hard drive?

Hah. Was this a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

She's just not familiar with the concept of disk caching, that's all.