Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Game reccomendation question! Has anyone played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? Is it any good?

I played through it and while it has a few cool moments, it just wasn't very good. The main combat gimmick never felt that interesting and in general it always felt like a duller GoW. The best parts are the SotC ripoff moments but even one of those isn't very good and at best they play like far worse versions of what they're copying. The game has an awful camera that you have no control of for no reason. In GoW you can't control the camera because the right stick is used for rolling, in this it is used for nothing. The platforming isn't fun (and I have low standards for platforming). Also the plot was one of the worst written I've played through this gen (and I've played Hyperdimension Neptunia!). The plot has one cool part, but it comes after the credits and makes you just want to play that game instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

I said come in! posted:

I would be happy if this turns out to be a whole new I.P., rather then a sequel.

It's a Castlevania game in name only, and quite frankly it sucks a lot.

I agree with the first part, and wholeheartedly disagree with the second. It's not the greatest game of this generation, and my opinion may be colored by the fact that I Gamefly'd it, but I thought the game (while not a Castlevania game) was very solid, and I liked it a lot. There were a few extremely memorable sections, and it is gorgeous.

That narration sucked, though. I agree that it takes you out of the action. Still worth playing, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I couldn't play that game. I couldn't look at it based on its own merits, it would always be with me that it was not a Castlevania game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I really like Castlevania games, and even thoroughly enjoyed both PS2 entries. I got rid of Lords of Shadow before reaching the halfway point.

I still have not finished God of War 1.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
So after further Lords of Shadows opinions, I went ahead and got the PSN version of Symphony of Night. It's still such a great game and doesn't feel aged at all :swoon: thanks for saving me 30 bucks folks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So after further Lords of Shadows opinions, I went ahead and got the PSN version of Symphony of Night. It's still such a great game and doesn't feel aged at all :swoon: thanks for saving me 30 bucks folks!
Yeah, seriously holy poo poo that game. I just played it again recently and it hasn't lost anything.

If only someone ported the DS games to a big console somehow, and I don't mean Harmony of Despair, that didn't hold my interest very long.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Valkyria chat:

God drat it why can people see through my smoke mortars? I'm at the battle at the citadel with Selvaria, and she can, and her snipers can. The smoke was between my engineer and her and her snipers, and should have obstructed her and their view, but nope, dead on aim right through it. It was nice knowing you, Claudia.

I had this happen when one of my troopers was INSIDE the smoke, even, so that isn't it. I guess some characters can just see through smoke?

e. I should clarify that the above only happened when Selvaria, or her snipers, took their turns. During my turn, Selvaria wouldn't fire on me if I was inside the smoke or line of sight was obstructed by the smoke.

e2. Also lol *hits Selvaria with several direct hits with fully upgraded mortars* Selvaria: I AM A MORTAL WOMAN IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN THAT

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 4, 2011

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the Rock Band thread:

The in-game music store for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock for PS3 is finally up and running. It was down since the PSN outage last April. :effort:
The in-game store was the only place to buy the disc exports for the other Guitar Hero games.

If you wanted to buy GH disc exports but couldn't, now is the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Still the best Castlevania game in the series.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shame it's not on the EU PSN store.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So I'm used to seeing some crazy poo poo in PS3 games such as God of War 3 and the Uncharted series, but playing through the singleplayer in Killzone 3 and fighting against the MAWLR was just insane. I died so many times from just staring at the level around me and admiring the amazing art direction and how via some technical wizardry it was all running silky smooth :aaa:

This game has so many awesome moments it's fantastic. I feel like a complete idiot for writing it off so early because the multiplayer wasn't the same as Killzone 2 since I'd definitely rank it up there as one of the best shooters of the year.

I can't wait to see what Guerilla Games do next :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tamagod Sushi posted:

SotN doesn't feel aged at all, mainly because all the Castlevania games in that style to come after it are just lesser versions of the same thing. It's a huge game that looks good, sounds good, and plays good.

Konami really needs to get their poo poo together and make a true successor to that game. None of this SotN-lite crap on handhelds or lame multiplayer cashgrabs.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
SotN has great gameplay, but after growing up on the first three Castlevanias, I just can't get used to the Metroidvania level style. It's too claustrophobic and the constant backtracking just irritates me.

As for current-gen Castlevania games, well, I have Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hatter106 posted:

As for current-gen Castlevania games, well, I have Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
Hell loving yeah.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Valkyria chat:

God drat it why can people see through my smoke mortars? I'm at the battle at the citadel with Selvaria, and she can, and her snipers can. The smoke was between my engineer and her and her snipers, and should have obstructed her and their view, but nope, dead on aim right through it. It was nice knowing you, Claudia.

I had this happen when one of my troopers was INSIDE the smoke, even, so that isn't it. I guess some characters can just see through smoke?

e. I should clarify that the above only happened when Selvaria, or her snipers, took their turns. During my turn, Selvaria wouldn't fire on me if I was inside the smoke or line of sight was obstructed by the smoke.

e2. Also lol *hits Selvaria with several direct hits with fully upgraded mortars* Selvaria: I AM A MORTAL WOMAN IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN THAT

Yeah it's just a bullshit mechanic where she can see you a mile away no matter what. It's been a while since I've played it but have you tried covering her in smoke? Can't remember if smoke works that way but I can't imagine her seeing very well out of a tank launched opium den.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

Yeah it's just a bullshit mechanic where she see you a mile away no matter what. It's been a while since I've played it but have you tried covering her in smoke? Can't remember if smoke works that way but I can't imagine her seeing very well out of a tank launched opium den.

Yeah, in VC you always fire smoke bombs AT the enemy, it renders them helpless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Or just run Alicia up and shoot her in the face. VC discourages all this "tactical" bullshit. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Or just run Alicia up and shoot her in the face. VC discourages all this "tactical" bullshit. :colbert:
Well, the game forces you to field your tank, what else are you going to do with it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Still the best Castlevania game in the series.

Pretty much. I remember I went back to it after playing all the GBA/DS ones and as good as those are, SotN just destroys them. Usually the ame that starts the trend is surpassed by it's predecessors, but Castlevania still has not been able to top SoTN.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the game forces you to field your tank, what else are you going to do with it?

Use it for the precious precious CP to make Alicia kill more. :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trap her between both my tanks, stunlocking her, and do a couple turns of drive-bys.

Just make sure she can't get to your radiators and you'll be fine.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

axleblaze posted:

Pretty much. I remember I went back to it after playing all the GBA/DS ones and as good as those are, SotN just destroys them. Usually the ame that starts the trend is surpassed by it's predecessors, but Castlevania still has not been able to top SoTN.

Circle of the Moon remains my personal favorite, but probably because I played it before Symphony of the Night (and because you play as a dude with a whip. What is this sword-wielding vampire nonsense?! And because Sinking Old Sanctuary is one of my favorite tracks in the whole series.)

I think my friends and I are gonna try six player Harmony of Despair next time we get together.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Trap her between both my tanks, stunlocking her, and do a couple turns of drive-bys.

Just make sure she can't get to your radiators and you'll be fine.

Yeeeep basically what I did. Had the tanks stunlock and Welkin wore her down with anti tank shells, then smoked her, then had Marina finish her with a headshot

You basically HAVE to whack her in one round or so because of her All Heal order :argh:

Another bullshit game mechanic: ducking/laying down . Hey kids, do you want to become invulnerable to headshots and double your defense? Just lay in some grass! Seriously if I'm point-blank with Rosie aiming for a troopers head, I should still get the headshots, drat it!

Oh well game is still amazing, just soome minor annoyances.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Code Jockey posted:

Another bullshit game mechanic: ducking/laying down . Hey kids, do you want to become invulnerable to headshots and double your defense? Just lay in some grass! Seriously if I'm point-blank with Rosie aiming for a troopers head, I should still get the headshots, drat it!

I always felt a smug satisfaction from standing over those douchebags and chucking a grenade on them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Yeeeep basically what I did. Had the tanks stunlock and Welkin wore her down with anti tank shells, then smoked her, then had Marina finish her with a headshot

One of the easiest ways to do this is to sneak Alicia up behind her around the ledges, then shoot her in the back. She can't use her bullshit dodge there, but will turn to face you for a counter. Then you peg her in the back with the tank. Rinse, repeat.

quote:

Another bullshit game mechanic: ducking/laying down. Hey kids, do you want to become invulnerable to headshots and double your defense? Just lay in some grass!

Peg them with a grenade, or else give them a little nudge with the tank (a better option, because it doesn't take off a full action). They'll go flying and be forced to stand up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I actually did that mission the slow way the first time: I captured all the bases, sent Alicia and one other scout up opposite sides, and positioned them in a line with each other with her in the middle, and shot back and forth at her from whichever direction she wasn't facing. In retrospect it was so cruel.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok I just completed the campaign mode for Killzone 3 and it was awesome. I'll never understand how people can rip on the story in Killzone because out of all the popular shooters today, I'd say that it easily has the best one. The talent GG has for crafting brilliant characters is fantastic. I thought Radec and Visari were handled excellently in the second game but well, god drat is Stahl a complete and utter bastard :aaa:

So cool to play a series of games where the bad guys actually have character development! I think they handled the struggle for power between the Helghast factions really well too. It would have been easy to do what every other game does and just gone the "The bad guys are more angry!" route after the second game, but the dynamics between Stahl and Orlock owned. They did a stellar job with the voice acting and facial animations too.

Do the VGAs have an rear end in a top hat of the year award? My vote goes to Jorhan Stahl.

gently caress 'em!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MUFFlNS posted:

Ok I just completed the campaign mode for Killzone 3 and it was awesome. I'll never understand how people can rip on the story in Killzone because out of all the popular shooters today, I'd say that it easily has the best one. The talent GG has for crafting brilliant characters is fantastic. I thought Radec and Visari were handled excellently in the second game but well, god drat is Stahl a complete and utter bastard :aaa:

So cool to play a series of games where the bad guys actually have character development! I think they handled the struggle for power between the Helghast factions really well too. It would have been easy to do what every other game does and just gone the "The bad guys are more angry!" route after the second game, but the dynamics between Stahl and Orlock owned. They did a stellar job with the voice acting and facial animations too.

Do the VGAs have an rear end in a top hat of the year award? My vote goes to Jorhan Stahl.

gently caress 'em!

Man, I really need to get back into Killzone. Even worse, I just managed to trudge myself through Resistance 1/2.

Do I need to play Killzone 1 to get the story or will I be okay picking up on my own with Killzone 2 and going to Killzone 3 when it gets cheap?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think you'll be fine, I never played through Killzone 1 (like many people I'm guessing) and you can jump in with the second game fine. The general story is that in Killzone 1, the Helghast invaded Vekta (the homeworld of the ISA soldier you play as) and the second game starts with your planets forces launching a counter attack on the planet of Helghan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody played Killzone 1, so I'm sure they knew that going in.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

MUFFlNS posted:

gently caress 'em!

I think recognition of the decent story is overshadowed with complaints about anything involving Rico, and the bewildering decision at the end to nuke the gently caress out of the planet... but hey, the bad guys are fine. I did enjoy the campaign in general though, the great visuals, and playing with the Move.

Speaking of FPS campaigns, I'm also having fun playing Resistance 3 with the Move. I like the main character, and I really didn't expect the graphics to be so good.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Code Jockey posted:

Flamethrower is how you handle that, 1 hit kill drat near every time, even against some structures like the bunkers.

Just make sure to aim the flamethrower at their feet, just in case they try to duck out of the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

One of the easiest ways to do this is to sneak Alicia up behind her around the ledges, then shoot her in the back. She can't use her bullshit dodge there, but will turn to face you for a counter. Then you peg her in the back with the tank. Rinse, repeat.

Peg them with a grenade, or else give them a little nudge with the tank (a better option, because it doesn't take off a full action). They'll go flying and be forced to stand up.

I just did this. Cartoonishly easy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Goddamn that wide-open stage makes me wish we had more VC games like that. 2 and 3 are so claustrophobic...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hatter106 posted:

SotN has great gameplay, but after growing up on the first three Castlevanias, I just can't get used to the Metroidvania level style. It's too claustrophobic and the constant backtracking just irritates me.

The backtracking really isn't that bad in SotN unless you have some kind of function disorder. The layout in that game is phenominal.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

BlindNinja posted:

I think recognition of the decent story is overshadowed with complaints about anything involving Rico, and the bewildering decision at the end to nuke the gently caress out of the planet... but hey, the bad guys are fine.

I don't think the intention was to nuke the planet, they just wanted to destroy Stahl's ship since it was so dangerous and packing some nasty form of new bio weaponry on it. The problem was that when it hit, since the ship was over a huge well of the stuff (as well as containing a whole bunch of weaponry developed with it) it obviously triggered a chain reaction that none of the ISA guys expected. You even hear them act shocked at the end about the whole planet being fried, and Rico expresses sadness at whatever fate they assume fell upon the population of Helghan since their whole goal was to simply stop Stahl.

Regarding what happens in that cutscene after the credits? Yeah that shocked me too v:shobon:v It will be interesting to see what happens in Killzone 4, but I can only assume that the game won't take place on Helghan. If for whatever reason it does, I really hope we get to see more of the jungle environments because holy poo poo were they done brilliantly.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

On the topic of Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I liked it a lot and consider it one of the best God of War-style games this generation. The combat was simple yet challenging, the levels were gorgeous and fun to travel, the music was amazing and it was surprisingly long for an action title.
The only things that were so-so were the story, which was a mixed bag, and the first two chapters of the game being an hour and half worth of tutorials.

Edit: The only good thing about Killzone 3's campaign was Stahl. Everything else was done better by Killzone 2 which didn't waste two hours on on-rails and stealth missions.

GUI fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 5, 2011

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't think the intention was to nuke the planet, they just wanted to destroy Stahl's ship since it was so dangerous and packing some nasty form of new bio weaponry on it. The problem was that when it hit, since the ship was over a huge well of the stuff (as well as containing a whole bunch of weaponry developed with it) it obviously triggered a chain reaction that none of the ISA guys expected. You even hear them act shocked at the end about the whole planet being fried, and Rico expresses sadness at whatever fate they assume fell upon the population of Helghan since their whole goal was to simply stop Stahl.

Regarding what happens in that cutscene after the credits? Yeah that shocked me too v:shobon:v It will be interesting to see what happens in Killzone 4, but I can only assume that the game won't take place on Helghan. If for whatever reason it does, I really hope we get to see more of the jungle environments because holy poo poo were they done brilliantly.

What jungle? the WHOLE PLANET was toasted. You can clearly see the shockwave encompasses the ENTIRETY of the planet. The only way the soldiers at the end "survived" is they probably were in space when it happened and chased after the escape pod. I'm sure it is not Visari in the pod too as some speculated in the KZ3 thread.

I thought KZ3 was leagues better than 2. I even enjoyed the MP a shitton more than 2, though I think that is because I wasn't forced to grind out each class for some silly trophies. I might end up buying the map pack bundle for $10 if KZ3 has another bonus XP event.

Now that I own a MOVE it might be fun to revisit the game and try out the MP aspect using the move.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Easy? Yes.

Fun? It kinda misses the point of having these big open mission areas and all those units and tanks and different weapons, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I used orders maybe 3 times, of that once was to get a nearly dead teammate out of harms way. The other times I am sure were just simple heals.
Thankfully I played VC2 mostly the same way with little use of the order system. Again I think only to get badly injured teammates out of harms way or evacuate them off the field so I can deploy someone else.

The player in that video could have done better by capping the camp, and at least kill 2 other grunts. The player will finish the map in 1 turn anyways, might as well make the most of it.

• Locked thread