Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sperg Victorious posted:

You have to transfer the book by USB in calibre if you want page numbers. Also, if the mobi is already on your kindle there is a plugin to generate the page number file so you can put it on too.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126220

Oh, I think you also need to make sure the metadata includes the isbn for it to work as well.

Fantastic, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone with an Ad Kindle should check your offers now. There's one that takes $5 off your order as long as it's over $10 and is a physical product sold by Amazon.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

sethsez posted:

Answers

Thank you so much. I guess that my hopes to put the android spotify app on it will be dashed, but at least I can use Pandora and read my books, which is awesome.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Don't think so, the nook shelves are actually a sqlite database file that exists in one of the directories of the application. With adb I've read and updated it, but you'd need root + a way to copy the files to do it through a plugin.

I considered it but, don't think the nook is worth the effort honestly.

I'm rooted and all, but it doesn't sound like the effort is worth it. I haven't ever played around with shelves too much anyway.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I've never used a Nook. What are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting it? Can you root a Kindle too?

Oh, and can you fit the Nook in a typical pocket?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 4, 2011

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

calandryll posted:

I'm rooted and all, but it doesn't sound like the effort is worth it. I haven't ever played around with shelves too much anyway.

If you are rooted, there's a Nook shelves app in the Android market that adds shelf sorting by genre, etc. It's a little clunky, but is better than the title, author, date unrooted version. Then again, I just gave up on the Nook Shelves because 95% of my books are sideloaded on the microSD card and every time I synced to Calibre my shelves would get wiped.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not unless you have really big pockets. It's small, but not THAT small. Check out SizEasy to compare the size of the nook to something familiar with you, like your phone or a coke can.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I've been looking for a tablet to read comics, how are they on the Tablet and Fire? I'd be worried about screen size, should I look into a 10" screen?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read comics on my ipad and would not want a smaller screen. Unless you don't mind constantly zooming in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've been looking for a tablet to read comics, how are they on the Tablet and Fire? I'd be worried about screen size, should I look into a 10" screen?

IIRC a 7 inch tablet screen is about 48% the size of a standard comic book page. 10 inch is like 98% the size.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm able to fit my Nook pretty easily into the front pocket of my khakis as long as it doesn't have any kind of cover - but I imagine that depends more on the pants you wear then the Nook.

Add a cover, though, and there's just no way.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've read a bunch of comics on my NC, which is the same size as the Tablet, and haven't had a problem. There are a few times where I had to zoom in, but that was due to a two page scene.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Cut out a piece of cardboard to the length and width and see if that fits in your pocket. It varies so much by person-shape and pants-style. Mine fits with room to spare with a case. However, I am not, for example, a small skinny woman in tight jeans. My wife carries hers in her purse, no case, with a microfiber cloth and a rubber band around it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Ok, if you're considering finding something to read comics on, here's the dimensions to compare:

Standard Comic Book Page since the 1970s: 17 x 26 cm - 0.65 aspect ratio

6 inch E-Ink Kindles, Nooks, Kobo: 9.14 x 12.19 cm - 0.75 aspect ratio (wider than comic page)
7 inch Kindle Fire, Nook Color/Tablet, other 7 inch tablets: 8.99 x 15.34 cm - 0.58 aspect ratio (narrower than comic page)
9.7 inch Kindle DX, iPad, HP Touchpad: 14.78 x 19.71 cm - 0.75 aspect ratio (wider than comic page)
10.1 inch widescreen Android tablets (eg Transformer, Galaxy Tab 10.1): 13.6 x 21.75 cm - 0.62 aspect ratio (narrower than comic page)

From this, if you keep from stretching the page image to fit the screen (which would result in things being too wide or too tall) and instead have the standard comic book page resized at the correct aspect ratio:
6 inch E-ink devices: displays page at 7.92 x 12.19 cm - 21.8% of the area of the actual comic, 46.5% height/width
7 inch tablets: displays page at 8.99 x 13.83 cm - 28.1% of the area of the actual comic, 52.8% height/width
9.7 inch DX and tablets: displays page at 12.81 x 19.71 cm - 57.1% of the area of the actual comic, 75.3% height/width
10.1 inch tablets: displays page at 13.6 x 20.9 cm - 64.3% of the area of the actual comic, 80% height/width

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thanks guys, I hate zooming so I think I'll just grab a refurb 10" from somewhere.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I've been reading up on the Nook tablet for the past couple of days since my last post and I've found a lot about this device. However, I have one question that hasn't been answered yet.

I already have a nook and an Barnes and Noble account. If I get the tablet and then enter my email address, will it automatically download all the books that I have or will I have to create a new account. I remember hearing one time from an employee at a B&N store that you have have an account on up to six different devices. Does this mean that I don't have to create a new account or will I have to make a new one?

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

So I've been reading up on the Nook tablet for the past couple of days since my last post and I've found a lot about this device. However, I have one question that hasn't been answered yet.

I already have a nook and an Barnes and Noble account. If I get the tablet and then enter my email address, will it automatically download all the books that I have or will I have to create a new account. I remember hearing one time from an employee at a B&N store that you have have an account on up to six different devices. Does this mean that I don't have to create a new account or will I have to make a new one?

You can use your same account.

It will work on up to 5 or 6 devices, meaning your phone, nook, nook tablet and computer can all have the same library and even have it all sync up your last page read and stuff too.

Bilal X
Aug 20, 2007

I'm in Canada and I'm hesitating between paying around 120$ for a non-touch Kindle from Amazon, or an extra 20$ for a Kindle Touch on eBay. I heard you needed a US billing address to buy books on the Touch, is that true? If so, is there any problem with just buying books through the PC app and transferring them to the Kindle? I've been using the Kindle app on my PC and iPod pretty much since it came out, so I'd rather stay with a Kindle instead of buying a Kobo or something.

Sorry if this was already asked recently, I didn't find anything in the past few pages.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bilal X posted:

I'm in Canada and I'm hesitating between paying around 120$ for a non-touch Kindle from Amazon, or an extra 20$ for a Kindle Touch on eBay. I heard you needed a US billing address to buy books on the Touch, is that true? If so, is there any problem with just buying books through the PC app and transferring them to the Kindle? I've been using the Kindle app on my PC and iPod pretty much since it came out, so I'd rather stay with a Kindle instead of buying a Kobo or something.

Sorry if this was already asked recently, I didn't find anything in the past few pages.

I just put in a fake US address and I can buy from the US Kindle store. Doesn't Canada have it's own Kindle store?

By "PC app", I'm assuming you mean the Kindle for PC one? There shouldn't be any issues with buying via that because the books that you purchase will be tied to your account & you can just re-download them onto the Kindle.

Asphyxiator
Oct 20, 2003
Give her the ol' Cousin Schneider!
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. I've gone through the past half a dozen pages and still haven't been swayed one way or the other, and I've also read several articles comparing the two. I'm drawn to the hardware advantages of the Nook (slightly better display, more RAM, more storage (although I guess only 1gb can be used for personal data storage? I guess that's what the SD card slot is for). Is it just as easy to add personal ebooks (mobi for Kindle and epub for Nook) to each, or is the process simpler on one device over the other? I like the comfort in knowing that Amazon will be around forever, but I feel less certain about Barnes & Noble with the recent collapse of Borders, although I think that has helped B&N more than anything. In terms of apps/videos/etc., I'm not sure that's as important to me as the ease of reading ebooks. I would like the addition of color, but it's not a dealbreaker. Idunno, can anyone sway me one or the other? Has anyone used both devices, and do you have a preference? Sorry if this has been hashed over and I've overlooked something. I know it all comes down to personal preference and what you want out of the device, but any guidance would be appreciated.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
All kindle purchases in Canada go through the international Amazon.com store. If you have a Canadian shipping address they will refuse to sell you anything but the $110 Kindle 4, $140 Kindle Keyboard, $190 Kindle Keyboard 3G, and $380 Kindle DX, as well as a presumably smaller selection of books. I'm not sure, but I recall some people complaining that they also have this restriction based on the address on your credit card too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Asphyxiator posted:

I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. I've gone through the past half a dozen pages and still haven't been swayed one way or the other, and I've also read several articles comparing the two. I'm drawn to the hardware advantages of the Nook (slightly better display, more RAM, more storage (although I guess only 1gb can be used for personal data storage? I guess that's what the SD card slot is for). Is it just as easy to add personal ebooks (mobi for Kindle and epub for Nook) to each, or is the process simpler on one device over the other? I like the comfort in knowing that Amazon will be around forever, but I feel less certain about Barnes & Noble with the recent collapse of Borders, although I think that has helped B&N more than anything. In terms of apps/videos/etc., I'm not sure that's as important to me as the ease of reading ebooks. I would like the addition of color, but it's not a dealbreaker. Idunno, can anyone sway me one or the other? Has anyone used both devices, and do you have a preference? Sorry if this has been hashed over and I've overlooked something. I know it all comes down to personal preference and what you want out of the device, but any guidance would be appreciated.

If you only care about reading (and not things like comics or textbooks but novels and the sort), you should really get an eink device. It has to be seen to believe, much easier on the eyes. There is also the plus of crazy battery life and the ability to use it outside on a sunny day with no glare.

From there, it is all up to what store you want to use. Some prefer B&N, some (myself included) prefer Amazon. You can transfer your own books over to it via USB.

Bilal X
Aug 20, 2007

Odette posted:

I just put in a fake US address and I can buy from the US Kindle store. Doesn't Canada have it's own Kindle store?

By "PC app", I'm assuming you mean the Kindle for PC one? There shouldn't be any issues with buying via that because the books that you purchase will be tied to your account & you can just re-download them onto the Kindle.

OK thanks, I ended up buying the Touch on eBay. Amazon hasn't announced when the Touch (or Fire) will be officially available in Canada, and with shipping/customs the regular Kindle would've been like 120-130$ through Amazon anyway.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bilal X posted:

OK thanks, I ended up buying the Touch on eBay. Amazon hasn't announced when the Touch (or Fire) will be officially available in Canada, and with shipping/customs the regular Kindle would've been like 120-130$ through Amazon anyway.

Cool.

If you don't already know about it, I'd recommend Calibre for eBook management.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Asphyxiator posted:

I work part-time for B&N, and bought a Tablet for my parents for Christmas. I feel that the extra $50.00 is definitely worth it for the increased speed. And I'd prefer the independence of the SD card to Amazon's cloud. The 1G for outside storage of the Tablet is annoying, I agree. My understanding is that my company will eventually have some sort of app service to permanently download music/videos to the device, but there's no word on exactly what yet. I wouldn't worry too much about B&N's viability as a company; Nook's doing pretty well for us. In ten years B&N may be little more than a Nook store with a cafe, a magazine stand and a few books, but it'll still be around.
But whether you get a tablet or a traditional e-reader really comes down to whether you'd be using the email, browser, streaming video, and game apps that either the Tablet or Fire provide. If you're happy with whatever's already on your phone/laptop, then I agree with the above - just purchase an e-reader.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sporadic posted:

If you only care about reading (and not things like comics or textbooks but novels and the sort), you should really get an eink device. It has to be seen to believe, much easier on the eyes. There is also the plus of crazy battery life and the ability to use it outside on a sunny day with no glare.

Since I got my Nook Touch, I want an e-ink monitor so loving bad now; I think about it every day. I work in front of a pair of monitors, and staring at light all day gets pretty loving old fast now that I know there's another option. I'm dying to be able to set up one monitor for reading (e-ink) and one monitor for doing (the LCD). Someday.

Wonder if iDisplay will work on my Nook? :3:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So, I've played with Caliber a bit but I don't really understand the appeal. Am I doing it wrong? Can someone tell me why the use caliber? I just buy and download the book from my Nook and it seems to work alright. What advantages does caliber offer? I tried to set it up for my mom because she was going to have to download books on her computer then transfer them to the Nook but I never got an iTunes for ereader vibe.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2011

Asphyxiator
Oct 20, 2003

Happydogska posted:

I work part-time for B&N, and bought a Tablet for my parents for Christmas. I feel that the extra $50.00 is definitely worth it for the increased speed. And I'd prefer the independence of the SD card to Amazon's cloud. The 1G for outside storage of the Tablet is annoying, I agree. My understanding is that my company will eventually have some sort of app service to permanently download music/videos to the device, but there's no word on exactly what yet. I wouldn't worry too much about B&N's viability as a company; Nook's doing pretty well for us. In ten years B&N may be little more than a Nook store with a cafe, a magazine stand and a few books, but it'll still be around.
But whether you get a tablet or a traditional e-reader really comes down to whether you'd be using the email, browser, streaming video, and game apps that either the Tablet or Fire provide. If you're happy with whatever's already on your phone/laptop, then I agree with the above - just purchase an e-reader.

I think the other things would be nice to have available all in one device--Is it much harder on the eyes compared to a solely e-ink reader?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Happydogska posted:

In ten years B&N may be little more than a Nook store with a cafe, a magazine stand and a few books, but it'll still be around.

I always thought that the physical book store would never go away and it would switch to something like this. Any B&N I've gone into over the years was always busy and there was always a line at the cashier, whereas with Borders, I just walked up and had someone ring me up without waiting. Shows who had the staying power.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002

Asphyxiator posted:

I think the other things would be nice to have available all in one device--Is it much harder on the eyes compared to a solely e-ink reader?

It really depends on personal preference, some people just really hate reading on a LCD.

I can read on my Nook Color for hours on end, in bed with the lights out (and brightness turned down), and outside (with no glare screen protector). On the other hand, reading on my wife's Nook Touch I feel that the text is a little more crisp and the device is a lot lighter and therefore more comfortable to hold for longer.

Asphyxiator
Oct 20, 2003

pimpslap posted:

It really depends on personal preference, some people just really hate reading on a LCD.

I can read on my Nook Color for hours on end, in bed with the lights out (and brightness turned down), and outside (with no glare screen protector). On the other hand, reading on my wife's Nook Touch I feel that the text is a little more crisp and the device is a lot lighter and therefore more comfortable to hold for longer.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like I've got a Nook Tablet on my way for Christmas, so that's that! I'm really excited. I'm just so sick of holding a massive physical book in my hand while in bed--I think this will be a huge improvement (not to mention the space physical books take up and the burden of moving them). I'm sure e-ink is ideal, but I do value the other functions (just not quite as much).

What no glare screen protector are you using (and does it fit the Nook Tablet just the same), and what would be a good case? I know someone mentioned the M-Edge cases.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002

Asphyxiator posted:

What no glare screen protector are you using (and does it fit the Nook Tablet just the same), and what would be a good case? I know someone mentioned the M-Edge cases.

I got the Zagg protector at Best Buy and like it. It was a bit of a drastic change when I first put it on, but I've become accustomed to it. I believe B&N also makes an anti-glare protector (for a bit cheaper), but I haven't seen what it looks like. I have the B&N Industriell cover for mine and like it a lot. If I watched more video on it, I'd probably go for one of the easel style cases.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I used B&N's matte protector on mine for a while. Definitely an improvement outside but drat, I always forget how nice the screen is until I take the protector off.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Codiusprime posted:

So, I've played with Caliber a bit but I don't really understand the appeal. Am I doing it wrong? Can someone tell me why the use caliber? I just buy and download the book from my Nook and it seems to work alright. What advantages does caliber offer? I tried to set it up for my mom because she was going to have to download books on her computer then transfer them to the Nook but I never got an iTunes for ereader vibe.

It's really nice if you want to get ebooks from sources other than your e-reader manufacturer's store, but they don't come in a compatible format. It also has this feature where it will download articles from websites you specify, and convert them into the ebook format of your choosing for your reading pleasure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

It also has this feature where it will download articles from websites you specify, and convert them into the ebook format of your choosing for your reading pleasure.

Holy poo poo, what? I haven't bothered much with Calibre yet because I've just been using Moon+ as a reader (and it gives no fucks), but that's some sweet thinking there.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

ZShakespeare posted:

It's really nice if you want to get ebooks from sources other than your e-reader manufacturer's store, but they don't come in a compatible format. It also has this feature where it will download articles from websites you specify, and convert them into the ebook format of your choosing for your reading pleasure.

Does this have to have an RSS feed? I would like to have all of the Malcom Gladwell articles from his website on my Kindle, but have been unable to figure out what to do other then download the PDF's and then convert them myself?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

Does this have to have an RSS feed? I would like to have all of the Malcom Gladwell articles from his website on my Kindle, but have been unable to figure out what to do other then download the PDF's and then convert them myself?

It can generate articles from RSS feeds. Sometimes it can get a little tricky, but usually building a recipe with just the RSS link works most of the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just use Instapaper to save your favorite articles. It can convert them all for your ereader as well.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Thanks guys, I hate zooming so I think I'll just grab a refurb 10" from somewhere.

If you haven't bought this yet - I bought the Kindle Fire for the express purpose of reading comics. It's probably not the absolute BEST, but I still love it. I turn it to be landscape and read the page while scrolling down, and then turn it back to portrait to look at the art. So I'm turning it back and forth every page, but I don't mind this, and I actually quite enjoy getting the text in my head separate from the art. Also, I use ComiCat, not sure if there is a better option out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

I use it because I buy books from Amazon, B&N, and other random sites (webscription.net), I also have a Nook, a Phone, and a Nook Color. I keep everything synced with goodreads and their shelves as well, and have two sets of books on my device, normal books and books marked in goodreads as being on the to-read shelf.

Normal books are stored as:
Author Last Name, First / Series / Series # - Book Title - Author.epub
IE:
Sanderson, Brandon/Mistborn/1 - The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson.epub
books on the toread shelf are stored in the specific folder toread as:
toread/The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson.epub

I then sync all three devices so that whatever I pick up has the book I was reading in the same place. NC and phone use Aldiko, Nook uses the built in reader.

Whenever I mark the book as read in goodreads, it gets removed from the toread directory and goes to the author one on the next sync.