Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so it's been a while since I've checked this thread, but I have to ask, is the boxee firmware getting worse or something? did they push out a bad update?

My network connectivity has been atrocious lately. My boxee box, cable modem, and router are downstairs all directly connected, my main desktop pc with my media on it is upstairs connected to my router wirelessly. I never seem to have any issues with connecting to the internet on my PC, 802.11n seems to be plenty fast. But lately my boxee box can't seem to connect to anything worth a poo poo. streaming videos from my PC buffer far too frequently but even if that could be chalked up to wireless issues the thing that is even more frustrating is that netflix, vudu, and all of my other apps basically just won't connect at all, or they'll start to connect and then timeout.

My girlfriend used to love the boxee and now she's getting pissed off because it never works when she wants to watch netflix, thankfully I have a PS3 as well which runs netflix and vudu flawlessly but I'm really beginning to feel like my boxee box is a paperweight if I can't count on it to play basic media and run apps without choking.

A few months ago I would recommend this thing emphatically but I definitely can't do that in it's current state. Are they poised to release an update or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not until next year because of some certification poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Growing frustrated with this box, just want something that'll play stuff reliably and not crash all the time. I don't care about any of the online stuff. We have two in our house, the original one (launch day) will freeze up and require a manual power off every 3 days or so (irritation, but works well regardless) and the other one just downright broke on us. Boots up to a black screen, even in recovery mode! Just filed a ticket with D-link and as it's still under warranty, I'm not concerned, but eyeing alternatives soon I think.

I can deal with the Sluggish UI, but not working? meh.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Growing frustrated with this box, just want something that'll play stuff reliably and not crash all the time. I don't care about any of the online stuff. We have two in our house, the original one (launch day) will freeze up and require a manual power off every 3 days or so (irritation, but works well regardless) and the other one just downright broke on us. Boots up to a black screen, even in recovery mode! Just filed a ticket with D-link and as it's still under warranty, I'm not concerned, but eyeing alternatives soon I think.

I can deal with the Sluggish UI, but not working? meh.

I feel the same way. Now my movies list stops at "J" due to the recent update.

I just really hope something else comes out, or that local playback improves on the google TV or roku.

Really boxee just needs to focus. Drop the software part, get a better hardware partner. The box needs to be $99 and the software really really needs to be improved.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Also make it look not stupid. Make it an Apple tv that supports mkv and samba and it would be a winner

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
They need to stop chasing new features and improve what they have already.

I love Boxee, but the little niggles make what should be a smooth experience frustrating. Like how the BBC iPlayer app sometimes decides to start playing a second version of what i'm watching in the background so I get two different audio streams and no way to stop the second one, only the first.
How The Onion App stutters for the first few seconds when playing the next video so you miss a bit of each one.

Or how you can't force it to reindex your media right now and i'll wait while it does it.

They are small things, but rather than fix them? Let's do live tv instead!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

At the risk of being a boxee traitor. Can the AppleTV play MKV over the network? That's 99.9% of what I need. I do not believe it does 1080p, but my tv is 720p... So I am not sure I care.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

At the risk of being a boxee traitor. Can the AppleTV play MKV over the network? That's 99.9% of what I need. I do not believe it does 1080p, but my tv is 720p... So I am not sure I care.

If you jailbreak and install XBMC, yes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

If you jailbreak and install XBMC, yes.

Well poo poo... Heading to the Atv thread now. Thanks! I really wanted boxee to work for me. Bought it on launch day and another six months later.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just really wish we could hack the boxee to run vanilla xbmc, instead of the bastardization we have now.

I love the boxee for what it is, but I'd agree that its going downhill.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Am I the only one that has had 0 problems with his Boxee Box? It handles my large collection fine and I even bought it second hand.

Maybe because I only use it for one or two TV shows/Movies a day?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one that has had 0 problems with his Boxee Box? It handles my large collection fine and I even bought it second hand.

That's our use also, not the same results. :(

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

I was all set to pull the trigger on one of these, but now you guys have me second guessing my decision. I currently have an ATV2 w/ XBMC but I'd really like to be able to view 1080p content. I need 1080p, ESPN3, and Netflix (that's not a crappy add-on). Am I going to be horribly disappointed with a BB? Are there any other options?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tantalus posted:

I was all set to pull the trigger on one of these, but now you guys have me second guessing my decision. I currently have an ATV2 w/ XBMC but I'd really like to be able to view 1080p content. I need 1080p, ESPN3, and Netflix (that's not a crappy add-on). Am I going to be horribly disappointed with a BB? Are there any other options?

Tantalous, haven't seen you around in The Ray Parlour, unless I'm just not observant.

Others seem to not be having any issues at all, a few of us are. I believe the UI is generally sluggish for everyone, and I rarely use apps so I can't speak to those. It's not a BAD box per se, but I think I've just hit my boiling point with the issues I have received. I'd probably recommend trying it out, Amazon should give you a solid 30 days, and after the new-paint smell wears off you should know if it will work for you.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I think I'll try to take a video showing how my user experience is at the moment. Basically even immediately after a reboot I still have major connection issues, movie and show graphics won't fully load, netflix, vudu, etc. won't load, I can maybe stream a movie for a few minutes before it freezes up or starts buffering like mad.

I'm wondering if there aren't some network preferences in the settings that I'm overlooking or something but it's directly connected to the router so it's not like it's a wireless configuration issue, also it was working more or less fine a few months ago with nothing having changed since.

really frustrating.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Yeah, your mileage definitely will vary. I use it exclusively for streaming videos (1080p included) from a network share. Works great for that, with lots of nice chrome to make it feel much cleaner than just browsing directories full of AVIs, too.

But, any Boxee app, Netflix included, is going to be a lot jankier than on most other devices. The box just isn't that fast. I would definitely recommend getting it from a place with a generous return policy and trying it out for a while if this is your major use case.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tantalus posted:

-ESPn3 will not work at all, until the linux binaries of FLash 11 (?) get updated. I have seen no timeframe for this, I would assume this is months off.
- Netflix works OK. The app is not as responsive as the ps3 app, which does 5.1 The boxee only does stereo
- Everything 1080p works for me over powerline ethernet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Listening and browsing your music collection will make boxee run at a crawl after an album or two. It just gets works and worse until it barely responds at all to button presses. A hard reboot is the only fix. How about getting rid of that loving poo poo visualization and instead run a graphic equalizer and fix up the memory leak or whatever is causing that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jonathan posted:

Listening and browsing your music collection will make boxee run at a crawl after an album or two. It just gets works and worse until it barely responds at all to button presses. A hard reboot is the only fix. How about getting rid of that loving poo poo visualization and instead run a graphic equalizer and fix up the memory leak or whatever is causing that.

Yeah the whole music thing is a loving dumpster fire.

Also new boxee boxes have now replaced the play/pause button with a netflix button

http://i.imgur.com/1bgHI.jpg

No, you cannot pause files now, you need to hit the OK button then pause. More cracking UI work from Boxee.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FCKGW posted:

Ours seems fine. I use it with a USB HDD in it and use the Boxee as the NAS server. Works great. Easy to get content on it. And I set up all my PCs in the house to point to the Boxee for their Boxee software content source.

Works great! Gets over run kind easily when more than 2 people start watching poo poo off it. Poor little guy can't keep up.

Has been easily worth the purchase to me.

kri kri posted:

No, you cannot pause files now, you need to hit the OK button then pause. More cracking UI work from Boxee.

Oh god what the gently caress. That better not gently caress up old remotes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

Also new boxee boxes have now replaced the play/pause button with a netflix button

W T F?

Just checked in the ATV thread and they basically told me it's a pile of poo poo for playing MKVs over a network... what's the real alternative here?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TraderStav posted:

W T F?

Just checked in the ATV thread and they basically told me it's a pile of poo poo for playing MKVs over a network... what's the real alternative here?

Probably a really cheap nettop? I have a acer Revo I got for like $100 that does XBMC fine. I thought it was slow so I went to Boxee, jokes on me I guess!

I threw on the new OpenElec build on my revo, and its pretty drat nice. Much nicer than vanilla xbmc for sure. Might just use that I am debating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

Probably a really cheap nettop? I have a acer Revo I got for like $100 that does XBMC fine. I thought it was slow so I went to Boxee, jokes on me I guess!

I threw on the new OpenElec build on my revo, and its pretty drat nice. Much nicer than vanilla xbmc for sure. Might just use that I am debating.

Quite interesting... I used to have a large HTPC with XBMC on it, but got tired of dealing with Windows integration issues and remote control. Using a Logitech mini keyboard/mouse deal was a pain, especially with the wife-factor. Would the revo with this OpenElec have that issue? It doesn't sound like the former as there is no other real OS to work with, which is good, because I don't know linux.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Quite interesting... I used to have a large HTPC with XBMC on it, but got tired of dealing with Windows integration issues and remote control. Using a Logitech mini keyboard/mouse deal was a pain, especially with the wife-factor. Would the revo with this OpenElec have that issue? It doesn't sound like the former as there is no other real OS to work with, which is good, because I don't know linux.

Openelec is really great for just running as an appliance. Its easier to use than xbmc live, since out of the box you can transfer files to the device via samba and lots of other nice things. No OS to gently caress up at all really, can install to any kind of drive, check it out. Can't hurt really since it is free.

I really wish local playback would improve with the roku/google tv/etc since I really just want an appliance that works really well with online content and can play back local media well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kri kri posted:

That Netflix button was supposed be there from day 1, it was there during the announcement and first hands-on.

They removed it when Netflix didn't launch with the box.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 6, 2011

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

Openelec is really great for just running as an appliance. Its easier to use than xbmc live, since out of the box you can transfer files to the device via samba and lots of other nice things. No OS to gently caress up at all really, can install to any kind of drive, check it out. Can't hurt really since it is free.

I really wish local playback would improve with the roku/google tv/etc since I really just want an appliance that works really well with online content and can play back local media well.

Not seeing any REVOs on Newegg for under $250, let alone $100. Should I be searching somewhere else for older/used?

I suppose tossing the openelec on the old C2D HTPC Box i have lying around couldn't hurt either. Although I do want to maintain the Win7 install for SopCast for Saturday/Sunday English football...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Not seeing any REVOs on Newegg for under $250, let alone $100. Should I be searching somewhere else for older/used?

That's the old 1600 that's been discontinued for at least a year now.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

TraderStav posted:

W T F?

Streaming from a qnap over wireless-n, I've run into 1 issue across about 100 files, 6 gig mkv movie? No problem plays without a single buffer after I hit play. Please note: this is all 720p content.

So yea, I'm sure there are issues somewhere but this thread has taught me if it doesn't make loving toast in the morning its obviously not good enough for some.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are people using for movie renaming? Ember looks completely abandoned at this point.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I do all mine manually over an RDP connection to my netbook fileserver hub thingamabob.

It's a pain in the rear end but works just fine and dandy for my needs, as I don't have terabytes of content.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
is ember media manager revisited abandoned now? or did you not know about it?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Those of you complaining about the boxee being slow, where is your media stored (local hdd, lovely nas, good nas, bitchin' fileserver), how is it accessed (wired/b/g/n), and how much do you have and is it all named correctly for scanning?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

devmd01 posted:

Those of you complaining about the boxee being slow, where is your media stored (local hdd, lovely nas, good nas, bitchin' fileserver), how is it accessed (wired/b/g/n), and how much do you have and is it all named correctly for scanning?

My local media is stored on a drobo connected to my desktop pc via eSATA. My desktop PC is connected to my router via wireless-N which is connected directly to my boxee. 1080p and often 720p video buffers more regularly than I'd like. I don't think it's the drobo though as playing videos on my internal HDD seems to yield similar performance. It's not until I actually put the video on a thumb drive and plug it into the boxee directly that any buffering issues go away.

All of my media has been renamed using ember and all cover-art is included. Boxee still takes forever to pull this in. I probably only have ~200 movies in my movie folders, broken into an HD and an SD folder and organized into folders by movie title within those.

The problem however is that the performance isn't only bad for connecting to local content. It's also been awful for connecting to online content. It usually takes ~10-30 seconds for the preview images of the featured content on the homepage to load (if it even loads at all). Additionally pretty much all of the app logos take forever to load, and then when I go to run an app that won't even be reliable. I've tried using the netflix and vudu apps a few times in the past week and they take forever to load and then may or may not even load enough movie cover art for me to continue browsing.

If the issues were purely with local content it'd be one thing, but the performance is pretty much universally bad at this point.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I have a hard drive connected to the Boxee via USB and then shared on my network. I drag all of the files I download/rip to that, then play from the connected USB drive. Works perfectly.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Moniker posted:

I have a hard drive connected to the Boxee via USB and then shared on my network. I drag all of the files I download/rip to that, then play from the connected USB drive. Works perfectly.

I mean I can certainly try that, and I'm sure it'll work, but... I definitely wouldn't have purchased this device if I thought the workflow would have to be something janky where I had to go out and buy a separate external hdd to serve as a temporary holding area for media I actually wanted to watch on the boxee. My drobo houses all of my movies, music, photos, etc. for the purpose of having a backup solution and my PC is able to pull from it with lightning speed (eSATA is plenty fast for streaming).

Why should I have to copy all of my files to a holding area when I want to actually watch something?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I mean I can certainly try that, and I'm sure it'll work, but... I definitely wouldn't have purchased this device if I thought the workflow would have to be something janky where I had to go out and buy a separate external hdd to serve as a temporary holding area for media I actually wanted to watch on the boxee. My drobo houses all of my movies, music, photos, etc. for the purpose of having a backup solution and my PC is able to pull from it with lightning speed (eSATA is plenty fast for streaming).

Why should I have to copy all of my files to a holding area when I want to actually watch something?
When I download anything at all, I just download it directly to the shared drive. I don't have to copy anything over. It's just there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Do people not understand the box isn't just slow when navigating your library? To test I turned off file scanning, and the box is still slow as poo poo when navigating the files view and using apps. The netflix and youtube apps are very slow as well. I also reset my box to factory defaults since my movies list broke, and the speed is the same with 0 library files.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I stream 1080p and 720p mkvs from my comp to the Boxee over wireless G just fine. No stuttering or slowdown.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I stream 1080p and 720p mkvs from my comp to the Boxee over wireless G just fine. No stuttering or slowdown.

I'm not talking about the playback of files, im talking about navigating the interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kri kri posted:

I'm not talking about the playback of files, im talking about navigating the interface.

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't replying to you...just saying in general. But I will say that my Boxee isn't slow at all navigation wise. Just as snappy as when I first got it.

• Locked thread