Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Veins McGee posted:

Initial training time counts starting at 24months.

I don't get what you mean by this, like if you're in initial training for over 24 months it counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

revenance posted:

I don't get what you mean by this, like if you're in initial training for over 24 months it counts?

Kinda sorta.

Little jimmy went to Infantry OSUT, which is 3 months (for easy rounding)

He has 0 days active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

Little jimmy deploys once, on title 10 or 32, for 12 months.

He has 12 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

He deploys again for 12 months.

He now has 27 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill (12+12+3)

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Kinda sorta.

Little jimmy went to Infantry OSUT, which is 3 months (for easy rounding)

He has 0 days active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

Little jimmy deploys once, on title 10 or 32, for 12 months.

He has 12 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

He deploys again for 12 months.

You can deploy to a warzone under title 32?

quote:

He now has 27 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill (12+12+3)
That's not a bad deal, I have over 18 months in training, so if I hit 24 months "deployed" time (can you clarify? I have lots of title 10 time under OEF/OIF/ONE but not all overseas) then I can get 100% benefit since it requires 36 months?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

revenance posted:

You can deploy to a warzone under title 32?

That's not a bad deal, I have over 18 months in training, so if I hit 24 months "deployed" time (can you clarify? I have lots of title 10 time under OEF/OIF/ONE but not all overseas) then I can get 100% benefit since it requires 36 months?

I think he meant to use the word "activated" vs "deployed". The law just changed to include Title 32 activations for the purposes of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit calculation.

24 months on some form of active duty since 9/11/2001(other than annual training or IADT). If you have 24 months of accumulated AD time, outside of your initial training, then your benefit is calculated including your initial training time.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

I think he meant to use the word "activated" vs "deployed". The law just changed to include Title 32 activations for the purposes of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit calculation.

24 months on some form of active duty since 9/11/2001(other than annual training or IADT). If you have 24 months of accumulated AD time, outside of your initial training, then your benefit is calculated including your initial training time.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome, I need to look at my point summary then because I'm drat close if it counts any non-AT/IDT time.

Does non-initial training count towards the 24 months of AD? I went to OTS/tech school last year (with initial training back in 2003), so I would actually break the 24 month threshold if that's counted.

revenance fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 22, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

revenance posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome, I need to look at my point summary then because I'm drat close if it counts any non-AT/IDT time.

Does non-initial training count towards the 24 months of AD? I went to OTS/tech school last year (with initial training back in 2003), so I would actually break the 24 month threshold if that's counted.

No, annual training does not count. Generally, it has to be DD214-generational service. So if you deployed on 10, did some time loving around on 32 and it adds up past 24 months then yeah, your schools count.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
It's gonna be more than 3 deployments after January 2012.

(read 9 month deployments)

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
When I posted my original question I meant deployed because we are just going to assume that after finishing boot/ AIT that the local base will never have any work days for you besides the one weekend a month/ two weeks a year stint.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Say you join the reserves and get out of all your entry training. Can you just volunteer for a deployment or do you just have to wait for your unit to get assigned to one?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

005060524 posted:

Say you join the reserves and get out of all your entry training. Can you just volunteer for a deployment or do you just have to wait for your unit to get assigned to one?
It's kind of dependent on a lot of different factors. How your unit is set up, what your job is, will they let you go, etc...

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Vasudus posted:

No, annual training does not count. Generally, it has to be DD214-generational service. So if you deployed on 10, did some time loving around on 32 and it adds up past 24 months then yeah, your schools count.

No, not talking about annual training. I was activated (not deployed) for OTS (3.5 months) and tech school (7 months) last year (OCS and OBC for Army equiv), but since I'm prior E it's not "initial training", so I'm wondering if those orders count towards the 24 months or if I can't tack them on until after I meet the 24 month criteria. I am getting a DD-214 out of those schools.

quote:

For the AF, that's largely up to your supervisor and your career field (and your skill level to a slightly lesser extent). I spent the first 4 years volunteering for a bunch of crap as an individual augmentee but then I find other reservists who have never been let go by their unit their entire careers.

revenance fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 22, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smoke Crack posted:

Aaaaahahahahaha! Keep on force shaping, you dumb fucks.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

revenance posted:

No, not talking about annual training. I was activated (not deployed) for OTS (3.5 months) and tech school (7 months) last year, but since I'm prior E it's not "initial training", so I'm wondering if those orders count towards the 24 months or if I can't tack them on until after I meet the 24 month criteria. I am getting a DD-214 out of those schools.

Probably something you should ask the VA but I would imagine that they do count as initial training(since for anyone else they would be initial training).

Working for your unit or for a nearby command(Active Reserve, PTAD...there's other acronyms) counts towards your benefit time.

Smoke Crack posted:

Plus 3-5 months at the front end and a month or 2 at the back end. For reservists/NG, you accrue active duty time from the second you are activated, not the second you step foot in Afghan/Iraq.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

Probably something you should ask the VA but I would imagine that they do count as initial training(since for anyone else they would be initial training).

Working for your unit or for a nearby command(Active Reserve, PTAD...there's other acronyms) counts towards your benefit time.

I found this on ARPC:
http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15635

quote:

*Excludes time in Basic Military Training and/or Skill Training. Re-training skill level schools may count toward qualifying service.

But that's from 2009...I can't seem to find more updated stuff and the VA website for the bill doesn't seem to address it. Guess I'll go ask them, thanks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah the biggest thing is that the VA is the final answer on all of this. There are a few places in the process that are still fuzzy, and eligibility time is one of them. If you served 3+ years you're 100%, deployed once you're 60%, anything else I kinda throw darts at a wall.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I'm about to graduate with a 35 series MOS. I'm ARNG and my unit isn't set to deploy for a while as far as I know. Say I want to go, what's the best route to accomplishing this?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

So I'm about to graduate with a 35 series MOS. I'm ARNG and my unit isn't set to deploy for a while as far as I know. Say I want to go, what's the best route to accomplishing this?

Depends on your commander. You can find a deploying unit and he may let you go with them provided they're willing to take you along. Or he can tell you sorry, you're staying put. Don't bother with the deployment volunteer list on GKO.

In my case I went with a local unit (completely different division, MOS and mission) and transferred back to my old unit when I returned. It literally took years of begging my CO to let me go though...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So an O-3 and a CW2 (both in the same chain of command)are on a scooter (the CW2 being the driver), both retardedly hammered, crash in the middle of the road and immediately get picked up by local Polizei.
What could one reasonably expect to happen in terms of punitive action?

e: Talking army here.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 25, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it was AF, that O-3 would be a civilian in a couple of years since he's not getting promoted to major and they're not keeping anyone who gets passed over. Best case.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!
I would guess that both receive a Letter of Reprimand with the 03 never making Major and getting out and the CW2 depending on how much they had left retiring as a CW2 or getting out as well.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
My unit is telling me I need to fill out my own NCOER support form. This will only be my second ever NCOER, the first coming from active duty. This is wrong correct? Isn't it essentially rating myself?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

gleep glop posted:

My unit is telling me I need to fill out my own NCOER support form. This will only be my second ever NCOER, the first coming from active duty. This is wrong correct? Isn't it essentially rating myself?

Hahaha, yes, yes it is. Welcome to the reserves/guard.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

revenance posted:

Hahaha, yes, yes it is. Welcome to the reserves/guard.

Alright I thought so. Time to tell them gently caress no I guess.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

gleep glop posted:

Alright I thought so. Time to tell them gently caress no I guess.

Just FYI they will halfass the poo poo out of your performance reports if you make them do their job.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

revenance posted:

Just FYI they will halfass the poo poo out of your performance reports if you make them do their job.

It's my PSG who wants me to rate myself. My actual rater is willing to do it but they're trying to insist I do it instead of her.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've never understood why rating your self is a bad thing. If they sign it at the end of the day, why is filling out the paper so hard? At least you can put down all the poo poo you want, and no one is going to look at it anyway. I don't know poo poo about being an NCO, am I missing something?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

iceslice posted:

I've never understood why rating your self is a bad thing. If they sign it at the end of the day, why is filling out the paper so hard? At least you can put down all the poo poo you want, and no one is going to look at it anyway. I don't know poo poo about being an NCO, am I missing something?

I hate to all effort and moral here but...it isn't right. How can I honestly rate myself? The person who is supposed to be my rater can and will be way more honest than myself. I know it won't make a big difference but little things like this are what create a lot of the problems the army has. How am I supposed to get on my soldiers about doing the right thing, being honest with me, and standing up to the command when they're flat wrong and then just do this? I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal but it is not something I'm going to do.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

gleep glop posted:

I hate to all effort and moral here but...it isn't right. How can I honestly rate myself? The person who is supposed to be my rater can and will be way more honest than myself. I know it won't make a big difference but little things like this are what create a lot of the problems the army has. How am I supposed to get on my soldiers about doing the right thing, being honest with me, and standing up to the command when they're flat wrong and then just do this? I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal but it is not something I'm going to do.

I'm not in the military but rating yourself has become a very common thing in the corporate world as well. The main idea is to get an idea of management's perspective of the personnel as well as their own view of themselves, and to address any disparities appropriately. Employees are often over or underrated by management, and the self evaluation has become a really useful tool to identify this in a lot of well run organizations.

There also tend to be a small number of people who refuse to evaluate themselves or set goals (for your and many other reasons) and research in management has shown repeatedly that these types of people tend to be malcontents and toxic to the organization (regardless of core competency), and getting rid of them immediately is the usual course of action in most large corporations. I've been directed to do it myself with really great but primadonna analysts and developers multiple times, and it doesn't really matter what I think because that's policy.

Not sure how the military handles it but if you were in the private sector I'd say you're committing career suicide with that attitude.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Continuing with the "I don't know poo poo about being an NCO" theme I have a couple thoughts on that. First, I'd say that an honest introspective view is going to outweigh anything your senior NCO is going to tell you on a piece of paper written once a year. Daily feedback, job performance, and your relationship with your peers should give you that personal information/satisfaction.

Second, if the guy doesn't give a gently caress enough to do the rating, and you have to push them into it, how good of a job do you think they're going to do? They'll copy and paste the bullet points, print, sign, and get you out before PT is over.

I agree that its a huge flaw that the Army (and a lot of middle management in almost any business) struggles with, but forcing your seniors to do it for you isn't the solution. If your subordinates ask why your NCOER is hosed, tell them its none of their god drat business and you'll show them how to do it properly. My experience tells me that with today's Army there is no point in trying to change those above me, but you can have an impact on the junior guys for the future.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Well I'm not making much more of a career out of the army. I ETS Dec 2013, six years, two deployed, is enough for me. It's just the fact that my actual rater is willing to rate me, and my PSG, who isn't anywhere in my rating scheme, is trying to order her to make me write it. Stupid. I won't do it.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Well I'm not making much more of a career out of the army. I ETS Dec 2013, six years, two deployed, is enough for me. It's just the fact that my actual rater is willing to rate me, and my PSG, who isn't anywhere in my rating scheme, is trying to order her to make me write it. Stupid. I won't do it.

My reading comprehension is weak and I misunderstood your situation.

Has the drawdown plan been made public at all? I've been seeing numbers between 40k and 150k, and I'm curious where these guys are coming from? Is there a priority for who is going out first, or are promotion slots just going to disappear?

iceslice fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 6, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep glop posted:

You know the quality of your work better than they do. Assess yourself, and they will compare your results against their expectations. If what you've done lines up with or exceeds, you're in good shape. If you fill the thing with lies and made up accomplishments, they SHOULD notice and mark you down accordingly. If they don't notice, you have a terrible supervisor and it will probably help your career.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'm not sure how it is in the guard/reserves but if you only see a guy once a month how in the gently caress do you accurately rate them? If I was writing people ncoers in the guard it would be nothing but 3-3's and 4-4's for "shows up" and "sometimes shows up."

Also, a lot of people bitch about rating themselves but are you so sure of yourself to accept an accurate NCOER? Ask me about giving someone a 3-4 on their's when they bitched about having to provide bullets!

edit: The term "stand up to my command" is literally the precursor to every bad idea I've seen a midlevel NCO or junior officer do. That sure will show them! Sure I lost rank and position but I showed them how I felt!

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 6, 2011

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My NCOERS have come off of NCOER.com or some bullshit like 3 hours before they're do every year. This year, I wrote my own and just gave myself Excellents in everything because gently caress if I'm going to make it easy for them to screw me again this year.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Never miss an opportunity to write yourself a glowing review. If they didn't want a walk-on-water, they wouldn't let you do it.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2011

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Can I fly Space-A if I'm on terminal leave?

I want to visit my friend in Landstuhl, Germany as soon as I go on terminal leave. Will they take my ID card from me, making this impossible?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As I understand it, you get a new ID that expires on your sep date. But I'm looking forward to a more complete answer since I could be starting terminal as soon as next week (probably won't though).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

As I understand it, you get a new ID that expires on your sep date. But I'm looking forward to a more complete answer since I could be starting terminal as soon as next week (probably won't though).

My Active ID was issued with the end date being my actual EAOS. I went on terminal from the ship with my Active Duty ID, and turned it in and got my IRR ID from the NS Everett Personnel Department on the day of my actual seperation.

I dunno about Army ID policy, but most everyone I know was told to mail theirs in to wherever on the day of their seperation so they could get their moves done and what not.

Also: I've been told that your DD 214 serves as authorization for base accesses in the instance that you have already forefeited your ID.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
I wanna go to Japan with my wife before I deploy. How exactly do I do this Space A poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Nillerz posted:

I wanna go to Japan with my wife before I deploy. How exactly do I do this Space A poo poo?

http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/index.asp

• Locked thread