Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a school, right? The school where Annie and Kat and everybody else goes is just called Gunnerkrigg Court. And the vast maybe-abandoned-maybe-not urban cityscape where it's located is ALSO just called Gunnerkrigg Court? Implying that the only purpose any of it is being put toward is as a boarding school, which can't possibly be utilizing all that real estate? This is confusing because I've never really thought it through before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
don't forget that Gillitie Woods are pretty big too. I mean just look at it http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=676

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
STOP LINKING PAGES! I've read two entire chapters today from random links in this thread, I need to get some work done!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hard to say.

There's implications of the grown ups doing secret Science poo poo. On a couple occasions the girls have gone to some sort of downtown area for shopping and haircuts. There's the rows of warehouses that Kat's lab is in, and the enormous lake where I'm not sure if you can see the other shore.

Gunnerkrigg is a school, but it seems to be part of some vast metropolis with other urban junk going on. It's probably undefined for a reason, and there's an implication of a huge (somewhat underpopulated) city around it.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

STOP LINKING PAGES! I've read two entire chapters today from random links in this thread, I need to get some work done!

Hahaha, I was just commenting to some friends about this same problem.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently got a friend to read it after linking him a picture of Parley and Robot fencing. He kept linking me stuff, and I ended up re-reading a good majority of the comic.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

loquacius posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a school, right? The school where Annie and Kat and everybody else goes is just called Gunnerkrigg Court. And the vast maybe-abandoned-maybe-not urban cityscape where it's located is ALSO just called Gunnerkrigg Court? Implying that the only purpose any of it is being put toward is as a boarding school, which can't possibly be utilizing all that real estate? This is confusing because I've never really thought it through before.

The thing is neither have the main characters

It does sort of call into question how literal Tom is being with the scale of everything, since the protagonist is a near shut-in at a boarding school and yeah in a major sense nothing existed for her outside the confines of her school until the most recent chapters, just the same as the whole world was that hospital before. Kat presumably has a bit more awareness of whatever larger something is going on, but has presumably also never really questioned it because hey, it's home. They're just starting to branch out and take an interest in the world outside the school and whatever weird nonsense they happen trip over, so now is when we start seeing more glimpses into the bigger context.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Maldraedior posted:

don't forget that Gillitie Woods are pretty big too. I mean just look at it http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=676

These two pages also show how big Gillitie Woods is:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=254
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=258

(I was going to quickly scan through this chapter to find these pages, but ended up reading every page of it, damnit)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

I don't think they imply how far "up" the school goes. For all we know, there's university level, which would correspond to higher level research. Bear in mind the size of university campuses and how large their connected scientific institutions can be.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You people are leaving out Residental, which takes place entirely inside the Court's confines. You know, the presumably large park that is sufficiently far away a train is needed to reach it.

Its probably best not to think too hard about how big the Court is.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

1stGear posted:

You people are leaving out Residental, which takes place entirely inside the Court's confines. You know, the presumably large park that is sufficiently far away a train is needed to reach it.

Its probably best not to think too hard about how big the Court is.

Yeah, I think it's defined in a loose way for the same reason Tom draws characters in a more basic way when they're a certain distance away: it's for the convenience of the story. It's interesting to think about the world beyond the Court and the Wood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes up in the comic, or at least not until the very end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think Tom's said before that Gunnerkrigg effectively takes place in our world and the populace as a whole isn't aware of places like Gunnerkrigg and etherics and the like. The world outside places like that is pretty much ours.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

What, isn't it obvious? The entire court is Birmingham.

And my name is Tom so obviously it's canon :smug:

(the city in Zimmy's head is Coventry)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
If you live in a capital-c City how often do you see the borders? You could live your whole life in NYC, London, LA, Paris, Chicago, etc etc without leaving, and certainly if you followed the lives of kids growing up in one the world outside of it just wouldn't ever rate mention if they didn't have family to visit outside.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mrpwase posted:

What, isn't it obvious? The entire court is Birmingham.

It is empty, soulless and confusing so it all fits.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is empty, soulless and confusing so it all fits.

Next years dorms will be the Bull Ring

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Next years dorms will be the Bull Ring

"Each student sleeps in their own individual 300 sq ft retail subdivision. These are fully equipped with a counter, till, shelving, POS, and a Yo! Sushi."

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

loquacius posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

This page was just linked: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=149

You should re-read the dialog, not just look at the picture.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

If this hasn't been said a dozen times already, then we're doing it wrong:

The GGC books look amazing. I had a chance to see a friend's copy of it, and boy oh boy am I aching to get all the volumes. Plus it's a fantastic price for a hardback copy. I can't say how impressed I am.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cavatica posted:

If this hasn't been said a dozen times already, then we're doing it wrong:

The GGC books look amazing. I had a chance to see a friend's copy of it, and boy oh boy am I aching to get all the volumes. Plus it's a fantastic price for a hardback copy. I can't say how impressed I am.

Just make sure you buy them through the correct venue so Tom sees some of the money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Just make sure you buy them through the correct venue so Tom sees some of the money.

Specifically, Topatco, right?

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.
Guess the school doesn't have very strict rules on hair things - we were only allowed to wear only plain hair ties in school colours. Stupid hair things.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I once got told off for wearing a hat on non-school-uniform-day. Stupid head things.

(did Robot always have a bandage on his right arm?)

vv :argh:

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 7, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mrpwase posted:

(did Robot always have a bandage on his right arm?)

Yep! He has them on all limbs. Maybe he was never properly plated. It was a temporary body, after all.

(Enjoy your inevitable re-read of that chapter, bitches!)

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I re-read the entire archives of GC every morning and I do all of the movements along with the characters so I don't see what y'all are complaining about

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

mrpwase posted:

(the city in Zimmy's head is Coventry)

Wait so jack fell for Zimmy because she sent him to Coventry? Sounds kinda backwards, but I suppose especially with kids it often works that way.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

I re-read the entire archives of GC every morning and I do all of the movements along with the characters so I don't see what y'all are complaining about

Do you open-palm slam the URL into your address bar?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Waffnuffly posted:

Do you open-palm slam the URL into your address bar?

Not many people can say they've defended themselves against an age-old swordfighting revenge ghost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Not many people can say they've defended themselves against an age-old swordfighting revenge ghost.
I can. I say it out loud to my mythology class and all I've learned is that people in Quislett can still be immature jerks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MikeJF posted:

Yep! He has them on all limbs. Maybe he was never properly plated. It was a temporary body, after all.

The saddest story! :smith:

quote:

Open palm slam derail
The best derail! :unsmith:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can't be the only one who's a little freaked out by seeing robot's "innards" am I. Somehow knowing it's all just metal and circuitry does not make it any better.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can't be the only one who's a little freaked out by seeing robot's "innards" am I. Somehow knowing it's all just metal and circuitry does not make it any better.

Aren't we all just metal and circuitry on the inside? Well, you at least.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Male Man posted:

Aren't we all just metal and circuitry on the inside? Well, you at least.

All I am inside is just a big dick. :(

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
I'm just a sap!

wait i did the joke wrong

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MikeJF posted:

It's tape, since he's Parkourbot. Think like the hunter in Left 4 Dead. I've heard traceurs will tape down the ends of their sleeves and legs for some reason or another. But I've never seen it in person and don't know why they would.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's tape, since he's Parkourbot. Think like the hunter in Left 4 Dead. I've heard traceurs will tape down the ends of their sleeves and legs for some reason or another. But I've never seen it in person and don't know why they would.

To decrease wind resistance and so that you don't get hooked on a thing and wipe out really hard.

I don't know anything about parkour i just made that up but i bet that's why.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Probably so they don't get their clothes hooked on a fence when jumping from a ledge onto a 4 story building. Which would result in death.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe, but like I said, I haven't ever seen anyone do it. The only instances I can think of are Parkourbot and the Hunter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You're a tin can, ROBOTS DON'T HAVE FEELINGS

But this was not the direction I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Wait, Robot didn't just die did he? I mean, it looks like it could be an introspective realization in the last panels, but at the same time the lighting is worrying me.

Either way, good update.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 9, 2011