Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
My mom is bugging me to help her find a good entry level camera for casual photography as a gift for my sister and I just ran across this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...4SM4ST9Z2R2NWW1

I was already checking out the similar Olympus models along with the lower tier Canon and Nikon cameras but this seems like it would be perfect. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

adebisi lives posted:

My mom is bugging me to help her find a good entry level camera for casual photography as a gift for my sister and I just ran across this today:

I was already checking out the similar Olympus models along with the lower tier Canon and Nikon cameras but this seems like it would be perfect. Any ideas?

unless there's been some developments in the last few months I don't know about (which is possible), that's one of only 2 you should bother with. The other is the canon S95/S100 series.

I'm more than casual and I'd be thrilled to get an lx5 as a gift.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

adebisi lives posted:

That's a great camera at a great price. I've been debating getting one today myself for times I don't want to lug my DSLR around.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That's a great camera at a great price. I've been debating getting one today myself for times I don't want to lug my DSLR around.

Aren't these Panasonics basically Panasonic electronics with Leica glass? Leica makes nice glass...

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ExecuDork posted:

:words:

Awesome stuff, thanks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Leviathor posted:

Aren't these Panasonics basically Panasonic electronics with Leica glass? Leica makes nice glass...

In the same way my Nokia cellphone has 'Zeiss' glass. Its just an name on the low end stuff.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Facebook photography question.

When you upload photos to facebook what settings do you guys use? In lightroom I have been exporting them at 720x429 and with 240 pixels per inch with a maximum file size of 720k, but they aren't coming out too great. I know facebook compresses the photos to be a certain size but I see other people are able to upload them with some decent quality.

Just wondering basically what export settings you guys use on lightroom when you know you will upload to facebook. I really don't want to have to jump back and forth between Photoshop and Lightroom.

e:
I don't use the automatic facebook/Ligthroom syncing option in fear of :filez:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 3, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I just set long edge as 720px and the resolution as 72 dpi and that's about it. No matter what, the Facebook usually screws up colors and constrast every now and then.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

e:

What does this mean?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Enigma89 posted:

Facebook photography question.

When you upload photos to facebook what settings do you guys use? In lightroom I have been exporting them at 720x429 and with 240 pixels per inch with a maximum file size of 720k, but they aren't coming out too great. I know facebook compresses the photos to be a certain size but I see other people are able to upload them with some decent quality.

Just wondering basically what export settings you guys use on lightroom when you know you will upload to facebook. I really don't want to have to jump back and forth between Photoshop and Lightroom.

e:

I export my facebook photos at 1000 on the long edge, 150 DPI and 75% quality. Facebook is gonna recompress them anyways but they look okay for what they are.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Legdiian posted:

What does this mean?

Let's just say Lightroom was "gifted" to me and I rather not sync my personal facebook account to "gifted" software.

Sorry for being a bit vague but I don't want to get probated.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

dissss posted:

In the same way my Nokia cellphone has 'Zeiss' glass. Its just an name on the low end stuff.

My cell phone camera was hand crafted in the basement forge of Carl himself!

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

adebisi lives posted:

I've got one of these and I love it! There was a firmware update recently that extends the shutter speed in manual mode to around five minutes :)

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
Who wants to help me with a gift idea? My brother is a semi-professional photographer, and has most of the legitimate toys regarding DSLRs and flashes and all that fun stuff. There's a groupon deal for this place, and as a student on a tight budget that would really make things easier for me.

The problem is that I have no knowledge of photography so I don't know what's good on there vs. what's crap. The reason it popped into my head is that he's always experimenting with non-standard shots and stuff, and bought one of those 360* panoramic cameras and had a blast with it. So if there's something fun like that I'd be interested in getting it for him.

I was thinking maybe something like this, if it's not total garbage, along with some other little stuff?

http://canada.shop.lomography.com/cameras/multilens-cameras/supersampler-chrome-edition

I'd like to keep it to $50-$80 probably. Thanks!

Drama Llama fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 4, 2011

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Get a Nishika N9000 off ebay for fun 3D photos and a few rolls of 35mm film. It'll probably cost you around $35 including 3 rolls of film instead of $60 for just the camera.

If you want to see how they come out, there's a whole bunch of examples in the toy camera thread.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

King Hotpants posted:

I assume this is what you're talking about (I googled "world's largest photo libraries")

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/16/the-relative-sizes-of-the-worlds-largest-photo-libraries/
Yes, thanks - slightly different from how I remembered it, but it fulfils the purpose.

Tactical Mistake
May 11, 2011

Planning Ahead Strategically

HookShot posted:

Get a Nishika N9000 off ebay for fun 3D photos and a few rolls of 35mm film. It'll probably cost you around $35 including 3 rolls of film instead of $60 for just the camera.

If you want to see how they come out, there's a whole bunch of examples in the toy camera thread.

Just posting to say that's a great idea, you should go for that.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'm in a rut - I haven't shot in for-freaking-ever and I just want to go shooting something, but I have no idea what. It'd be cool to go street-photographing, but I've never really done that before; any advice?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I guess the question would be what you haven't done yet or in ages?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

HPL posted:

I guess the question would be what you haven't done yet or in ages?

I haven't done night photography in forever, though first I'd have to figure out where the hell my tripod went. I've never really done street photography - I tried it way back in Sacramento but found it boring because I found it hard to shoot people the way the guys at DigitalRev do it. I'm a bit shy at doing studio photography, but I should give that a whirl by asking a friend to let me use his cheap studio, actually.

The concept of street photography scares me in two ways: approaching people and just taking pictures, and walking around with a shitton of expensive gear that just screams STEAL ME.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Try street photography with an iPhone. It's fun.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Casull posted:

and walking around with a shitton of expensive gear that just screams STEAL ME.

I tried to do street photography one time with my lovely old film camera and a nifty fifty and if a cop car hadn't drove by at the specific time the not-nice-looking dude behind me decided to get suspiciously close then turn around and walk away, I'm pretty sure I would have lost my gear.

Now I'm paranoid to go anywhere with my gear visible. Doesn't help that I'm a girl I'm sure, but I have no idea what I would do in a situation like that. I completely froze last time.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CarrotFlowers posted:

I tried to do street photography one time with my lovely old film camera and a nifty fifty and if a cop car hadn't drove by at the specific time the not-nice-looking dude behind me decided to get suspiciously close then turn around and walk away, I'm pretty sure I would have lost my gear.

Now I'm paranoid to go anywhere with my gear visible. Doesn't help that I'm a girl I'm sure, but I have no idea what I would do in a situation like that. I completely froze last time.

I'm a guy, and I like to think I am not too small. However, I still try to do my street with a friend, or at least during nice daylight hours.

I did however go out on New Year's last year, and Halloween this year. A guy broke my camera and also broke my hand last year on New Year's. On Halloween a guy hit me from behind and tried to start a fight with me. I guess my track record is not the best.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

Fun fact: your film camera is also a hunk of brass at the end of a strong line.

Start swinging.

Sevn posted:

I'm a guy, and I like to think I am not too small. However, I still try to do my street with a friend, or at least during nice daylight hours.

I did however go out on New Year's last year, and Halloween this year. A guy broke my camera and also broke my hand last year on New Year's. On Halloween a guy hit me from behind and tried to start a fight with me. I guess my track record is not the best.
Jesus...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

As a small girl as well this is my plan with my 30D if anyone ever gives me trouble. That poo poo is HEAVY.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I just have a rebel :( I'll just keep the battery grip and 70-200 on it the whole time...wait no, I don't want to damage the 70-200! Or keep the film body in my bag and just swing that around, haha.

But yeah, that happened in the middle of the day on a weekend with a zillion cars everywhere. I live close to downtown where a lot of violence sometimes happens, so I'm not totally surprised, but it still sucked. I wonder if carrying pepper spray or something would be worth it? I realise my life isn't necessarily worth my camera gear, but man I'd be pissed if I got robbed.

Sevn, sorry to hear about your luck...that sucks! How does that even happen? Just drunk idiots?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

No joke, the first day of my final-semester photography class was 5 minutes spent on the syllabus and 55 spent on Camera Fu.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Does anybody know which (if any) third party battery grip manufacturers have weather sealing? I want to get a grip for my 5d2, but I want weather sealing if at all possible.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just spent the last ten minutes using the magnetic lasso in PS Elements 8, only to have everything I did ruined by an accidental double click of my mouse. Is there anyway to add to my original lasso tool without having to re-lasso everything (if that makes sense)? I've tried selecting it from my history but anytime I click on it I can only move my selection or start a new lasso.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

yoohoo posted:

I just spent the last ten minutes using the magnetic lasso in PS Elements 8, only to have everything I did ruined by an accidental double click of my mouse. Is there anyway to add to my original lasso tool without having to re-lasso everything (if that makes sense)? I've tried selecting it from my history but anytime I click on it I can only move my selection or start a new lasso.

Shift to add to a selection, Alt to subtract.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

CarrotFlowers posted:

I just have a rebel :( I'll just keep the battery grip and 70-200 on it the whole time...wait no, I don't want to damage the 70-200! Or keep the film body in my bag and just swing that around, haha.

But yeah, that happened in the middle of the day on a weekend with a zillion cars everywhere. I live close to downtown where a lot of violence sometimes happens, so I'm not totally surprised, but it still sucked. I wonder if carrying pepper spray or something would be worth it? I realise my life isn't necessarily worth my camera gear, but man I'd be pissed if I got robbed.

Sevn, sorry to hear about your luck...that sucks! How does that even happen? Just drunk idiots?

I carry a keychain can of pepper spray in my camera bag. Anyone willing to rob you with a weapon is probably also willing to use it on you.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CarrotFlowers posted:

Oh I forgot I posted in this thread haha.

The guy that attacked me was quite literally a psycho, and I don't know how he stayed employed out here so long. Word was, he had been trying to pick a fight with anybody he could come across and nobody would fight him, obviously because he is so big and crazy.

Supposedly, according to him and only him, I said some not so nice things to his ex girlfriend. According to him, I said those things in June or July, and it was now New Year's Eve... I never even knew he had a problem with me until he walked up to me, yelled in my face for a few minutes, and punched me square in the face. Considering it was about 3am and I had been drinking for the past 5 hours, I'd say I did pretty good by not just falling down as soon as he punched me.

With the old strap I had, I tended to just wrap it around my wrist and just hold the camera the whole time. In my other hand was a can of beer. As soon as the maniac came at me, I did what any self respecting good would do, I started backing up, trying not to get hit or spill my beer. He got me cornered, so naturally I hit him in the head with my camera. This only seemed to make him more angry, but luckily it was broken up by that time.

I am not really a small guy and I swung my camera with quite a lot of force. It didn't seem to bother him at all, and it broke my camera.

tl;dr, buy pepper spray (I was indirectly maced, this will stop someone in their tracks, just don't get caught in the cloud), don't hit people with your camera.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
General question, I just got into photography couple of weeks ago. So far I have been shooting landscapes and not people. However I really want to try street photography, but I just can't bring myself to take out my camera and start pointing it at random strangers on a street. Funny enough, I am not shy person, but under this circumstances I just lock up. How did you guys conquered this feeling when starting out? Just kind of do it while feeling like a creep or such, until it becomes natural? Do people sometimes give you crap for it?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Deadreak posted:

General question, I just got into photography couple of weeks ago. So far I have been shooting landscapes and not people. However I really want to try street photography, but I just can't bring myself to take out my camera and start pointing it at random strangers on a street. Funny enough, I am not shy person, but under this circumstances I just lock up. How did you guys conquered this feeling when starting out? Just kind of do it while feeling like a creep or such, until it becomes natural? Do people sometimes give you crap for it?

You should have a look for Mannequin's posts where he explains what he does. Basically you just ask politely if they would mind you taking their photograph. Saying you like they way they're dressed or something couldn't hurt. A trick Mannequin uses (as have I in the past when getting funny looks in a supermarket while taking photos of the fish counter) is to say you're doing it for an art project, which you kind of are.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

David Pratt posted:

You should have a look for Mannequin's posts where he explains what he does. Basically you just ask politely if they would mind you taking their photograph. Saying you like they way they're dressed or something couldn't hurt. A trick Mannequin uses (as have I in the past when getting funny looks in a supermarket while taking photos of the fish counter) is to say you're doing it for an art project, which you kind of are.

I love living in a foreign country :D People give me strange looks no matter what I am doing, having a camera is no exception. If anything, having a camera attracts more people to me because they want to take pictures with the foreigner haha.

How to get past the fear? Suck it up. Or have a beer and loosen up, just make sure you don't smell like a walking booze factory. Seriously, no matter how confident you are, you will still get turned down every once and a while, Mannequin even mentioned this, and it never feels good, but you get used to it, kinda. I have been told no by very interesting people, beautiful people, ugly people, and every other type you can think of.

That being said, I live in a small rural town in the States, so I am not sure how I would approach it there, though I am planning on trying when I come back for a visit!

Then again, you don't even have to ask, just take their picture and keep walking. I have gotten some dirty looks by doing that, but once again, you learn to suck it up and keep going.

Who knows if I am credible enough to listen to though. The guy in the street photography thread called me a dingus because I told him he should be confident and learn to take a picture from eye-level. You could just do what he does and fire of shots from the hip.

(Don't get me wrong, shooting from the hip can create nice perspective to the scene and I like that, but it should not be the only method you use for street photography).

Attitude by DarSevn, on Flickr

One from eye-level.

Time for school by DarSevn, on Flickr

One from the hip, which I totally missed focus on.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think drinking is probably the best advice you usually don't hear going into street photography, or at least for someone like myself who is pretty shy. By virtue of doing street photography, you're in an urban area, so walk 50 feet to the nearest bar and have a couple drinks and then get to work.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
Yay a hobby to support my drinking problem, good times! Thanks for advice guys, will keep it all in mind next time I am out with a camera.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Deadreak posted:

Yay a hobby to support my drinking problem, good times! Thanks for advice guys, will keep it all in mind next time I am out with a camera.

I like to think of it as drinking being a hobby to support my photography problem ;)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I like to think of it as drinking being a hobby to support my photography problem ;)

Just be careful because drinking syngerizes with photographic shopping habits and ends up being a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shmoogy posted:

Just be careful because drinking syngerizes with photographic shopping habits and ends up being a real problem.

Did you see my post where I bought an RB67 body? I know this all too well...