Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just caught up with Buzzcocks. The funniest part of the episode was when it showed a flashback and the host had the same hair but not dyed. That was some serious helmet hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

FreakyZoid posted:

Yeah, I've been enjoying it. Light humour, likable characters, nice locations, mysteries you're given enough clues to work out for yourself. It's pretty much perfect sunday night TV.

I even like that it does the "gather everyone in to a room for the big reveal" trope.

I like it too. Good to see Cat from Red Dwarf on telly again :)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I watched Black Mirror and thought it was aces and then felt compelled to make this. Spoilers for the show if you haven't caught it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4cpfhSOFI

I thought this was going to be the pig sex scene intercut with him fake wanking.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SymfonyMan posted:

Just caught up with Buzzcocks. The funniest part of the episode was when it showed a flashback and the host had the same hair but not dyed. That was some serious helmet hair.

This post infers that you don't know who Cilla Black is and I refuse to believe that.

And I just watched episode 3 of Mongrels, the Immigration one. I agree with the posts earlier on that say that it seems very anti-immigration and feels incredibly Daily Express. What the hell is that all about? He mentions that the daily mail is hypocritical but then says that there's loads of illegal immigrants coming to the "immigration nation" and bringing their families, then says they're taking advantage of the welfare state and have new PS3s.
It's like he wasn't really sure what he wanted to say so offended everyone.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 7, 2011

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I watched Black Mirror and thought it was aces and then felt compelled to make this. Spoilers for the show if you haven't caught it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4cpfhSOFI

:golfclap:

I lost it when the Coldplay music kicked in.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Taear posted:

This post infers that you don't know who Cilla Black is and I refuse to believe that.

And I just watched episode 3 of Mongrels, the Immigration one. I agree with the posts earlier on that say that it seems very anti-immigration and feels incredibly Daily Express. What the hell is that all about? He mentions that the daily mail is hypocritical but then says that there's loads of illegal immigrants coming to the "immigration nation" and bringing their families, then says they're taking advantage of the welfare state and have new PS3s.
It's like he wasn't really sure what he wanted to say so offended everyone.

It was very awkward. I can only assume that the intention was to build up the tension then release it with the daily mail lines. It fell pretty flat though, like you say, they just ended up being offensive to everyone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Daktar posted:

It was very awkward. I can only assume that the intention was to build up the tension then release it with the daily mail lines. It fell pretty flat though, like you say, they just ended up being offensive to everyone.

Or perhaps the writers really believe that stuff. There's not really anything in the episode to suggest otherwise.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

CJ posted:

I thought this was going to be the pig sex scene intercut with him fake wanking.

That was the original intention but it got a bit away from me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The hot tap was really hot.

Oh Him And Her.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I watched the first episode of Him & Her last night, and loved it :) Going to marathon the poo poo out of it after work!

'are you enjoying that toast?'
'mmm, yes'
'good. i'm glad you're enjoying that toast'

Has any one listened to Richard Herring's new snooker podcast? It might be the most tragic/brilliant thing ever. He genuinely sounds about 12 years old.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was actually quite tense when then Laura and Paul were showing off their holiday pictures. Any second I was expecting evidence of Pauls tendency to be unfaithful towards her.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Taear posted:

Or perhaps the writers really believe that stuff. There's not really anything in the episode to suggest otherwise.

I hope not. Right at the end where Kali gets the immigrant pigeon eaten, she has a fairly pithy line: "boom shakalak, once again western civilization uses brute violence to repress the poor underpriveliged people of the third world....ah crap I'm part of the problem". I *think* that that line is intended to throw everything that happened before into a new context. I agree that the song is too easy to interpret at face value because the message is muddled, you can take it as an indictment of the middle class double standard, or you can take it as attacking immigrants.

I personally think they had good intentions, but the thing is so confused that it does come across as quite offensive.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I know I'm super-late with this, but I just watched Black Mirror. I'm not sure what to think - it was jet-black drama with a sprinkling of jokes that would have got more than half-smiles out of me if the rest of the programme weren't so unrelentingly BLEAK. I think someone said it earlier in the thread, but it was like reading one of Brooker's more miserable and nihilistic columns. I don't know if I liked it, but it kept me utterly gripped from start to finish.

Also, what's the consensus on the new series of Mongrels? I enjoyed the first series well enough, but haven't caught any of the new one yet.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Mongrels is still good.
Though as has been discussed a few times, their message can be sometimes... lets say, opaque.

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
Anyone else loving love Masterchef? I am addicted to this current series, it has to be my favorite one yet. Currently rooting for Claire, I don't get how she can be so young and yet good at cooking :3:.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

Mongrels is still good.
Though as has been discussed a few times, their message can be sometimes... lets say, opaque.

I'm fine with every episode other than episode 3. Although why number 6 still isn't up is beyond me.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
No Zainab, don't marry him! He smacks you around and that one time he set you on fire!

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

TheJanitor posted:

Anyone else loving love Masterchef? I am addicted to this current series, it has to be my favorite one yet. Currently rooting for Claire, I don't get how she can be so young and yet good at cooking :3:.
It's between Claire and Ash in my eyes, they're the best two by far.

Though I want her to win because she's cute and I'm shallow.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

No Zainab, don't marry him! He smacks you around and that one time he set you on fire!

I really hope he ends up set on fire himself, possibly with Amira.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtspNJIZUIs

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

When christmas ads are mentioned I'm contractually obliged to repost the best one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I really hope he ends up set on fire himself, possibly with Amira.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtspNJIZUIs

Yusef roasting on an open fire. Happy Christmas from Albert Square.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/dec/08/sherlock-returns-bbc

sherlock back on New Years Day

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ben Soosneb posted:

Yusef roasting on an open fire. Happy Christmas from Albert Square.

Speaking of UK soaps, Corrie is getting a musical. Finally, a musical more depressing than Blood Brothers.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

1 minute of the new episode of Black Mirror, looks awesome as always.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I just watched 15 Million Merits (because I'm special and poo poo). It's definitely a very different proposition from The National Anthem with a much broader dystopian sci-fi setting and without the gross-out gimmick of "Will this pig get hosed?".

Overall though I'd call it an improvement. The setting is really well crafted and Brooker takes satirical swings at everything from reality TV to pop-up advertising. It does sag a little in the middle once you realise where it's heading and I was a little disappointed in the ending, but I won't go into it anymore and wait to see what you all think.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

reality_groove posted:

Overall though I'd call it an improvement. The setting is really well crafted and Brooker takes satirical swings at everything from reality TV to pop-up advertising. It does sag a little in the middle once you realise where it's heading and I was a little disappointed in the ending, but I won't go into it anymore and wait to see what you all think.

Brooker and Huq of course. I wonder if being on the inside of a reality talent show and really getting to find out exactly how these things work from personal experience helped will come through in the writing. It does seem like it would lend a unique perspective.

Also everyone, remember it starts 35 minutes later this week, and genuinely starts immediately after the X factor final.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Has Huq done any work in writing drama before?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
IMDb says no.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

TheJanitor posted:

I can't stand the dramatic music in Masterchef. It's so American Reality Show and totally unnecessary.

e: if Claire is that little platinum blonde cutie though, yeah she's fiiine.

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 9, 2011

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
The banter between Michel and Gregg has been pretty good in this series, and a couple of the latter's reactions in the Claire/Steve semi final were hilarious.

I like to think the producers are aware of how ridiculous the music is... suppose those cooking scenes need to be spiced up somehow?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
God drat I love Reginald D Hunter. Episodes of HIGNFY with him or Victoria Coren are always the best.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LittleBob posted:

God drat I love Reginald D Hunter. Episodes of HIGNFY with him or Victoria Coren are always the best.

I find him really annoying and overly american. He has a cool voice but I don't like "You guys over here, you do this" *laughter*.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

LittleBob posted:

God drat I love Reginald D Hunter Victoria Coren. Episodes of HIGNFY anything with him or Victoria Coren are always the best.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Al2001 posted:

I can't stand the dramatic music in Masterchef.
It's fun to try and spot what it's ripped off from though. I've noticed Rocky and Twin Peaks so far this series.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

tentish klown posted:

Victoria Coren

On that note, a reminder for Only Connect fans that although the main series is over, there is a word wall special on 12th December.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Taear posted:

I find him really annoying and overly american.

Is there a single American TV personality who appears on our screens who couldn't be described as "overly american" by someone who just doesn't like them?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Daius posted:

Is there a single American TV personality who appears on our screens who couldn't be described as "overly american" by someone who just doesn't like them?
Rich Hall?

It's a specific thing with Reginald D Hunter because he literally does the "over there we do this, over here you do this" poo poo.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

So does Rich Hall? He also does documentaries about America and American culture for BBC Four.

America.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does he? On every single appearance? I really don't think he does. And making documentaries about American culture isn't the same thing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

TheJanitor posted:

I've been enjoying it, but the number of pieces to camera of the chefs saying "Making it to the next stage would mean everything, I'd be gutted to leave." becomes exasperating. Would love for someone to say "Actually, I dont really care".

Also love the ridiculous number of filler shots of Roux/Wallace grimacing or giving an impish grin.