Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

HEVampersand posted:

What was the goonsensus on Homefront? It's $9.99 today only at EB Games/Gamestop for us Canadians.

Neither worth your money or time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Feenix, if you write at least two paragraphs on the proper preparation of, and eating etiquette of a gently caress-sandwich, I will give you the Starhawk code I have sitting around. I don't have PMs, so you'll have to post it here with your email address, or some other way for me to send a code to you.

One of the inserts from Uncharted 3 will still work, right? I have no interest in the Starhawk beta, and it's not like I can enter the code to try and see if it works.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

HEVampersand posted:

What was the goonsensus on Homefront? It's $9.99 today only at EB Games/Gamestop for us Canadians.

Being invaded by a warring nation in real life might actually be more fun. It's buggy, short and I'm not sure if the multiplayer is still up or just filled with players who are max level.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Amazon's got their buy one get one half off deal again, including Skyrim.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

liquidypoo posted:

Feenix, if you write at least two paragraphs on the proper preparation of, and eating etiquette of a gently caress-sandwich, I will give you the Starhawk code I have sitting around. I don't have PMs, so you'll have to post it here with your email address, or some other way for me to send a code to you.

One of the inserts from Uncharted 3 will still work, right? I have no interest in the Starhawk beta, and it's not like I can enter the code to try and see if it works.

I think the Uncharted one starts later.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The Uncharted code is for the public beta. Right now they're doing the private beta for the cool people who didn't have to buy their way into testing the game out.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

HEVampersand posted:

The single player was kind of neat but it's literally a 3-4 hour game and you really should only think about getting it as a rental if you have nothing else to do.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

With the cost of rentals in Canada, $9.99 would basically be a couple bucks more and he'd get to keep it. I'm honestly thinking about it because I feel the need to waste some time on a mediocre shooter to offset all the wacky Japanese poo poo I'm playing right now.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
Thanks to everyone who replied, you helped me dodge a lovely game bullet. :hfive:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Speaking of games that are cheap: what about Brutal Legend? I think I can find it around for about seven bucks or so these days.

I'm not a huge metal fan, but I am a huge Tim Schafer fan. If I go into the game knowing about and expecting the RTS parts, maybe play it on easy, is it going to be worth my time?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChetReckless posted:

Speaking of games that are cheap: what about Brutal Legend? I think I can find it around for about seven bucks or so these days.

I'm not a huge metal fan, but I am a huge Tim Schafer fan. If I go into the game knowing about and expecting the RTS parts, maybe play it on easy, is it going to be worth my time?
I bought Brutal Legend for $60, loved it, and just wished it had gone more Zelda'y than RTS'y. It is very worth $7. Most that ended up bitter did so because of a bait and switch. The game there isn't really bad, just a bit short - but very much not what most expected.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I bought Brutal Legend for $60, loved it, and just wished it had gone more Zelda'y than RTS'y. It is very worth $7. Most that ended up bitter did so because of a bait and switch.

If you read any previews in the 4-5 months leading up to release, there really was no 'bait and switch'. People played a bit of the tutorial in the demo and assumed the whole game would be like that - that's a problem with the demo, but folks would have been even more confused if they'd been dropped right into the middle of the game.

After balance patches, it was really good in multiplayer, too. Until Airmech releases, it's the closest thing we've got to an updated Herzog Zwei.

Something to keep in mind going into the game: When you get the ability to build units and command them, ADD that ability to your repertoire. Don't forget that you can hit things, team up with troops and drive the car. If you try to play it like a straight RTS, you will lose and hate it, because you're meant to be hitting stuff with a huge axe and running over dudes with a flamethrower muscle-car.

I'm terrible at strategy games and I think I lost one battle total on Hard mode, because it's really 75% action, 25% strategy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

If you read any previews in the 4-5 months leading up to release, there really was no 'bait and switch'. People played a bit of the tutorial in the demo and assumed the whole game would be like that - that's a problem with the demo, but folks would have been even more confused if they'd been dropped right into the middle of the game.

This is pretty much untrue. Most previews played up the Zelda elements because that is what the developers played up. They didn't even reveal the "stage shows" until a multiplayer press event, at which they strongly implied it was multiplayer only. The E3 demo was literally the demo they released + a guy showing you around the wide-open world and talking about how they were inspired by Zelda. This was their big showing of the game on the floor and they showed off exactly what you got in the demo + a "hyrule field" kind of thing. No stage shows. The television commercials and even the box also strongly imply it was a Zelda-alike as well.

There's many things you can say about Brutal Legend but the advertising was incredibly dishonest and I lost a lot of respect for Double Fine when they went "Well, it's not OUR fault! People should clearly be psychic and know that previews and game footage and the demo all are providing an inaccurate picture of the game!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
True, but it's still a decent game. Well to be fair I"m a huge heavy metal/rock fan, so seeing all those references to rock was a big plus to me. That and the fact the open world itself feels like watching an album cover come to life.

Plus Jack Black isn't annoying in this game. Biggest shocker there, he actually fits with Eddie very nicely (which I think they admit it was based around him)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Maybe I was reading different previews to everyone else, but I went into the game expecting pretty much exactly what I got - in one interview they even specifically said that the singleplayer was effectively training for multiplayer, introducing new abilities and units as it goes on. Did you know that the game was meant to be just the multiplayer/RTS stuff until EA got involved? I was genuinely surprised by the people screaming that they'd been conned.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dominic White posted:

Maybe I was reading different previews to everyone else, but I went into the game expecting pretty much exactly what I got - in one interview they even specifically said that the singleplayer was effectively training for multiplayer, introducing new abilities and units as it goes on. Did you know that the game was meant to be just the multiplayer/RTS stuff until EA got involved? I was genuinely surprised by the people screaming that they'd been conned.

A demo is supposed to be indicative of a game, and if its indicative of another game, then it's very easy to feel cheated, especially if you don't follow gaming news and stuff. If I made a first person shooter, but for ten minutes in the game had a turn-based RPG sequence (uh, for some reason) and had a demo around that sequence, people who play the demo will think that the game is an RPG.

I'm almost certain EA wanted to emphasize the zelda-like qualities of the title, hence why the demo is the way it is. If I had bought it, I would have felt conned.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

My issue with the RTS segments is that they are boring, simple as that. I wonder why, when presented with the possibility of Legend Of Zelda meets Heavy Metal, and that part is done well, Double Fine decided to make large portions of the story TEH STRATEGY that doesn't even involve that much strategy in the first place!? It's a zerg rush in slow-motion, and just about as much fun to watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

You were. This is pretty demonstrably false. Here's some quotes from, say, the IGN preview:

quote:

From what I saw and was told, I'd liken the world of Brutal Legend to a heavy metal-themed Fable. So, yeah, it's going to be cool.

That's the kind of experience a lot of people got. "Heavy Metal Fable" instead of "Heavy Metal Herzog Zwei."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Katana Gomai posted:

Amazon's got their buy one get one half off deal again, including Skyrim.

Swwwweeeeeeeeeet. Christmas shopping done. Amazon continues to own!

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

ChetReckless posted:

I also picked up Brutal Legend of release, and it's disheartening to see it drop so fast in price due to lack of interest (on the bright side, if you haven't tried it now's a good time!).

I'd like to just point out of some of the bad points before the good- the game's mix of RTS and Adventure can feel pretty disjointed and lacking in depth, and you really only play one race through the single player campaign. By the time the story mode crashes to an abrupt end and you can tell they had to rush the game out.

BUT it's the greatest Heavy Metal influenced game out there. No, strike that, it's the greatest love song to the genre in a video game.

We're talking big, grand vistas of volcanoes, unscalable cliffs, haunted shores and other kick rear end areas to explore. We're talking characters that cover genres of metal, from heavy to emo to the satanic, with fatastic creature designs. We're talking a pretty star studded cast that includes Jack Black, Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy Kilmister, the ever great Tim Curry and other cameos.

We're talking riding goddamn panthers that shoot lasers from their eyes into battle.:black101:

And the music choices. Over 100-ish tracks of just solid Heavy Metal tracks. If you didn't like heavy metal before, this at the very, very least will make you take an interest in the genre and at the very best will make you want to kick something down with both hands raised in the air.

And come on, it's a pretty unique idea for a game, with nothing else really like it. If you liked Tim Schafer's games this is definitely worth a play.

(I don't even like metal and this game gets me worked up)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Disregarding the crappy RTS bait-and-switch in Brutal Legend, no one has mentioned that because of the genre-blending, the actiony, running-around segments have REALLY stiff, lovely controls.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I platinumed Brutal Legend and enjoyed it all the way through. The RTS segments weren't that bad and actually kind of fun. :shobon:

Even played through it twice.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pandanaut posted:

I platinumed Brutal Legend and enjoyed it all the way through. The RTS segments weren't that bad and actually kind of fun. :shobon:
I did enjoy the RTS segments, and it isn't that they were bad. It's just that they were unexpected, which threw a bunch of people off, and - frankly, nothing in the RTS sequences beat the sheer, unbridled joy of riding a cheetah with laser eyes around a giant metal jungle. Amidst the questionable controls, there's occasional flashes of what could have been a BRILLIANT Zelda-esque game, which all that peters out three quarters through the plot.

I appreciate that DoubleFine made an decent RTS with a Zelda-esque side-quest, and all its bits are solid. I just really, really, really wish they'd made a Zelda-esque game with RTS side bits instead, and it's hard to ignore how good that could have been while you're playing through the game.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
For the guy who asked about Rayman, if you just play straight through it won't last that long.
Dunno about a 7yr old but my 4yr old loved unlocking the extra skins which you do by collecting the pink things (time trials and collecting the yellow things throughout the levels). You can also replay any level and the flying ones are pretty fun.
Your son should be fine with it, mine struggled as the second part was unlocked.
I'd recommend it anyway, but definitely for coop with your kid

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are two new gameplay clips from the DMC reboot on GT.

The fighting looks better than in Ninja Theory's earlier titles, the music fits the DMC brand, and the jumping segment in the second clip is beautifully presented. I doubt hardcore DMC fans will see this as a worthy successor but I'm definitely intrigued. Hopefully NT will be able to make the game both beautiful to look at and to play this time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

The fighting looks better than in Ninja Theory's earlier titles, the music fits the DMC brand, and the jumping segment in the second clip is beautifully presented. I doubt hardcore DMC fans will see this as a worthy successor but I'm definitely intrigued. Hopefully NT will be able to make the game both beautiful to look at and to play this time.
Yeah, looks better than before, but I hope that's a tutorial stage or something because those enemies sure are being polite and waiting their turn.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Renoistic posted:

If the combat's as fast as DMC3/Bayonetta, I'll be totally okay with this game.

Also what's with the 100% unnecessary swearing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That gameplay footage does give me a bit of hope - maybe Ninja Theory really have been taking notes from Capcom.

Also, the music sounds so much like KMFDM it has to be an intentional homage. And I'd be totally cool with that.

Krad posted:

Also what's with the 100% unnecessary swearing.

I dunno, having the very city itself (silently) shouting 'gently caress You' as it tries to kill Dante? That's pretty neat. Doubt they can keep up that kind of setpiece intensity for long, though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 9, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Brutal Legend looks kind of like it plays like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which is unquestionably a good thing. It appears my shtick in this thread will be to occasionally post about how the currently discussed game looks kind of like mid-90s-to-early-00s PC game X and how good that is.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Dr Snofeld posted:

Brutal Legend looks kind of like it plays like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which is unquestionably a good thing. It appears my shtick in this thread will be to occasionally post about how the currently discussed game looks kind of like mid-90s-to-early-00s PC game X and how good that is.

It's also similar to Sacrifice as well!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Snofeld posted:

Brutal Legend was one of my biggest game letdowns. I'm just not an RTS player, I never have been, and the later story battles were extremely frustrating, even after receiving lots of "well duuuhhhh" type advice from people on how to play. Not being able to visually see but a tiny sliver of what is happening at a time in a game that moves that fast just drives me up the wall. Fortunately that was during my brief experience with Gamefly, so I didn't spend much money on it.

What happened in that game's development anyway? Was it planned as an adventure game to start and the RTS thing added later, or the other way around, or was it planned as a hybrid from the beginning, and they didn't bother to tell consumers that?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Brutal Legend was one of my biggest game letdowns. I'm just not an RTS player, I never have been, and the later story battles were extremely frustrating, even after receiving lots of "well duuuhhhh" type advice from people on how to play. Not being able to visually see but a tiny sliver of what is happening at a time in a game that moves that fast just drives me up the wall. Fortunately that was during my brief experience with Gamefly, so I didn't spend much money on it.

What happened in that game's development anyway? Was it planned as an adventure game to start and the RTS thing added later, or the other way around, or was it planned as a hybrid from the beginning, and they didn't bother to tell consumers that?

The latter, sort of. Schafer and some other guys developed the RTS gameplay before everything else and expanded on it from there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Eh. It looks... slow. I mean, more then anything, that is what is bothering me. Everything looks like it's in slow motion compared to DMC3/4 or Bayonetta or whatever. (aside from that voice acting... NT usually has really good voicework, what the hell is up with that?)

Also the "avoid the camera" mechanic they hint out sounds really dumb and I hope to god it doesn't mean forced stealth or "get a bad ranking if you don't stealth" mechanics.

The platforming segment actually looks better then the combat, and has a pretty neat style to it. It really makes me think this would be a better game if it was an original IP instead, because that part actually looked interesting instead of boring. I mean, the concept of trying to escape from a city that is literally twisting around you and hates you seems like you could do neat things with it, while the combat at best looks uninspired and slow.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 9, 2011

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It looks... slow. I mean, more then anything, that is what is bothering me. Everything looks like it's in slow motion compared to DMC3/4 or Bayonetta or whatever. (aside from that voice acting... NT usually has really good voicework, what the hell is up with that?)

Also the "avoid the camera" mechanic they hint out sounds really dumb and I hope to god it doesn't mean forced stealth or "get a bad ranking if you don't stealth" mechanics.

The platforming segment actually looks better then the combat, and has a pretty neat style to it. It really makes me think this would be a better game if it was an original IP instead, because that part actually looked interesting instead of boring. I mean, the concept of trying to escape from a city that is literally twisting around you and hates you seems like you could do neat things with it, while the combat at best looks uninspired and slow.

I'm confused about this game, because even as a someone that isn't a fan of Devil May Cry I can tell it should be an original IP. The vibe I got is that it's a new, cool game forced into the DMC universe, with no real benefit.

Existing fans are going to hold it to the standard of DMC 3 (or 4 maybe?) which a reboot can't really live up to, and anyone that doesn't care about Dante would be just as happy with an entirely new series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm confused about this game, because even as a someone that isn't a fan of Devil May Cry I can tell it should be an original IP. The vibe I got is that it's a new, cool game forced into the DMC universe, with no real benefit.

Existing fans are going to hold it to the standard of DMC 3 (or 4 maybe?) which a reboot can't really live up to, and anyone that doesn't care about Dante would be just as happy with an entirely new series.
Whatever arguments the game biz has been making about re-imagining existing franchises (versus coming up with something new) must really work, whatever they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I really would kind of kill to see a Prince of Persia or even a Mirror's Edge style game here instead of a DMC game. The concept of a Mirror's Edge clone set in a horrible demon city that is twisting and turning around you and trying to stop you sounds like the coolest drat thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I was kind of into the platforming until they got to the hallway church thing at the end (where the game industry mandated guide character "marks" the exit) where it's just the one same hallway being stretched out over and over to pad things out. The entire thing is just really flat with no real depth. Just everything on a single plane that Dante can just run at speed and do his little jumping airdash to clear until the end when he has to press a button. I'm sure it gets more "varied" or whatever later on, it's just that they probably could have done way more with the idea but if this is what they deem to be trailer worthy then it didn't really inspire confidence in me.

DMC never had very good platforming, so I don't get why Ninja Theory feels the need to put it in here too. The idea of a city literally trying to kill you is neat, maybe not as cool as Disaster Report but it's a fun concept. I could really see it working in something like a PoP or Mirror's Edge style game. It's just that I don't play DMC for platforming, I play it for the fun and excitement of being a cocky white haired dude who shoots demons in the face, cracks a cheesy one liner, then does a ~*~SICK RIFF~*~ on his magical electric demon guitar to shoot lightning out and kill a giant spider.

Then again I don't know why Capcom let Ninja Theory make this in the first place, but hey if Blue Castle Games can do such a good job with Dead Rising that they become Capcom Vancouver then maybe Ninja Theory can do the same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I was kind of into the platforming until they got to the hallway church thing at the end (where the game industry mandated guide character "marks" the exit) where it's just the one same hallway being stretched out over and over to pad things out. The entire thing is just really flat with no real depth. Just everything on a single plane that Dante can just run at speed and do his little jumping airdash to clear until the end when he has to press a button. I'm sure it gets more "varied" or whatever later on, it's just that they probably could have done way more with the idea but if this is what they deem to be trailer worthy then it didn't really inspire confidence in me.

DMC never had very good platforming, so I don't get why Ninja Theory feels the need to put it in here too. The idea of a city literally trying to kill you is neat, maybe not as cool as Disaster Report but it's a fun concept. I could really see it working in something like a PoP or Mirror's Edge style game. It's just that I don't play DMC for platforming, I play it for the fun and excitement of being a cocky white haired dude who shoots demons in the face, cracks a cheesy one liner, then does a ~*~SICK RIFF~*~ on his magical electric demon guitar to shoot lightning out and kill a giant spider.

Then again I don't know why Capcom let Ninja Theory make this in the first place, but hey if Blue Castle Games can do such a good job with Dead Rising that they become Capcom Vancouver then maybe Ninja Theory can do the same.

Well, that's fair and I can't disagree. I was mostly comparing it to the fighting sections. It still had problems but at least kind of had potential, whereas the fighting just bored me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that's fair and I can't disagree. I was mostly comparing it to the fighting sections. It still had problems but at least kind of had potential, whereas the fighting just bored me.

I think it could go places, like I imagine if they totally went off the walls and did some crazy Bayonetta gravity stuff then it could be exciting. I'd prefer to see more exciting combat though.

Someone pointed this out to me and maybe someone else might agree, but the city itself sort of seems similar to that one from the early dreams in Inception? Like the vaguely European style with the older buildings and the whole world twisting and folding to fight you? Cause looking at it again after being told that I started to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I am totally cool with map geometry changing as you go through it, that's one of my favorite things in games. I've loved the hell out of that ever since I played the beginning of Super Metroid when the ship starts tilting as you go through it.

• Locked thread