Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Metal Meltdown posted:

In my opinion the m14 is ultimately a superior weapon, especially once you hit HoE difficulty. However, it's also far harder to use it correctly since you need to be able to chain fire headshots on charging scrakes/flesh pounds with perfect accuracy.

I don't know about that. I put about 7 shots into a scrakes head and he did not go down. Had the red dot right on his stupid forehead and they just keep counting it as body shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shoot the neck

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Taffer posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the difficulty, fixed that. I also put the HoE one down to suicidal. What do I need to do to allow spectators?

There's a parameter in the KillingFloor.ini file under [Engine.GameInfo] that reads MaxSpectator, which should be at 0, which is no spectators allowed. Change it to 6 or whatever you feel like.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Really, really satisfied with this update. I was in a full 6 man server on hard with the Combat Shottie in hand and I love that thing. It's a great transition weapon for when you're saving up for the exceedingly pricey AA12. DPS on it seems excellent at close range since I took diwn a scrake with just one clip. Played around with the M4/M203, but it would glitch about 50% of the time if I was also carrying an M79, and it wouldn't allow me to buy grenades for either the M4 or the M79. That, along with the textured scope bug for the XBow seem to be the extent of the flaws here because I love what they've done. MP5 is absolutely nasty, and those revolvers are a really handy and cheap early-in-the-match damage dealer if your ping is low enough for consistent headshots. Hoping to pop onto the goon server while the global server list fixes the enormous amount of lag it's experiencing.

unkle77 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 8, 2011

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just as an FYI, the M4 w/203 causes the M79 to bug out; if you have both in your inventory the M79 is reduced to 12 rounds (versus 24 like it should be) and both the 203 and M79 use the same ammo so you have 12 rounds between the two.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I played around with the M4 on Commando, and I really don't see what the issue people have with it is. Honestly it feels like another AK but with a scope, and a slightly larger ammo count. I like it and I think I'll be using that as part of my default commando rollout.

The Magnums are pretty cool, and they have a pretty fast rate of fire as well. I'd say that they're an upgrade from the HC at best, sidegrade at worst, in my opinion.

Claymore is just a slower fire axe. I hardly play zerker so I doubt I'll be seeing much action with it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Scyantific posted:

Honestly it feels like another AK but with a scope, and a slightly larger ammo count.

Same ammo capacity and same amount in magazine

Taffer posted:

Shoot the neck

Meh, I will stick with the crossbow. Two shotting flesh pounders on Hard is so satisfying.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 8, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN TOO

HO HO HO

also what the hell trigger discipline dude come on :(

Scyantific posted:

Claymore is just a slower fire axe. I hardly play zerker so I doubt I'll be seeing much action with it.

Haven't tried zerker yet, the big question for me is if the claymore has a greater reach than the axe. That would be a good benefit to offset its slower rate of fire.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mesadoram posted:

Same ammo capacity and same amount in magazine
At level 5 Commando the M4 carries 500 rounds total while the AK carries 375.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Insert name here posted:

At level 5 Commando the M4 carries 500 rounds total while the AK carries 375.

I stand corrected.

Still between the ak and the m4 I prefer the setup of bullup with the ak. Best balance of HS machine and damage dealing. M4 is nice and all, but I enjoy the clip size of the bullup more.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mesadoram posted:

I stand corrected.

Still between the ak and the m4 I prefer the setup of bullup with the ak. Best balance of HS machine and damage dealing. M4 is nice and all, but I enjoy the clip size of the bullup more.
I despite the Bullpup and refuse to use it except for when I spawn with it. I don't even know why cause it's honestly not that bad of a gun. I think it might just be latent hostility towards the gun from when it was the only Commando gun when I first started playing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Insert name here posted:

I despite the Bullpup and refuse to use it except for when I spawn with it. I don't even know why cause it's honestly not that bad of a gun. I think it might just be latent hostility towards the gun from when it was the only Commando gun when I first started playing.

It's a really well balanced gun when you are at 4-6 commando. The clip size, reload time and fire rate is really incredible. To top it all off it has practically no recoil (or manageable to a point where you don't notice). It is probably my favorite head shot machine in the game.

Only problem I have with the commando class is scrakes. I just can't seem to drop those bastards by myself even after loading both of my guns into their face.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Oh my god the husk cannon is amazing. You can fire uncharged shots all day long to set generic zombies on fire, and charge it up to explode husks/scrakes/fleshpounds.

It also stuns scrakes when charged. :flashfap:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

President Ark posted:

Oh my god the husk cannon is amazing. You can fire uncharged shots all day long to set generic zombies on fire, and charge it up to explode husks/scrakes/fleshpounds.

It also stuns scrakes when charged. :flashfap:

I am curious to see the damage numbers that will probably come out in the next few days comparing the flame thrower to the husk. See which one is actually more damage per second and better damage per shot.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Was playing a medium length game on manor earlier today, we get to the patriarch and several of us get picked off. Soon it's only down to me and one other guy. We come out of the underground tunnel bit to the front yard of the manor and pat is heading our way. We unload on him with all we've got but the other guy gets taken down and the patriarch heads for my rear end. I run out of ammo for my M14 so I start jumping backwards, take out my revolvers and manage to take down the patriarch with them, sending him flipping backwards.

Game is even more awesome with this patch. MP5 makes the medic actually worth playing, revolvers own and the M4 is a nice addition to the commando's arsenal. Haven't had the chance to try the claymore or the husk gun yet though, maybe later today.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
So far I've only tried a few of the guns out and my impression is pretty underwhelmed.

Combat Shotgun- Considering its role in games like L4D2 and other FPSes, I was expecting something like the AA12, maybe a little lighter, with half the clip, but semi-auto and all. It's a replacement for the standard shotgun, however, with only 6 shells at a time, all of which must be manually reloaded. I'll stick with my loadout of AA12 and Hunting for Support. The AA12 is meant for isolated enemies and large, immediate threats while the Hunting is great for clearing small mobs and delivering crippling blows to said immediate threats (such as wounded scrakes). Don't get me wrong, the combat is probably a viable alternative to the standard shotgun, but its only benefit is the semi-auto capability, allowing for slightly faster fire at the cost of 2 shells.

Husk Arm Launcher- I was really disappointed with this one. It does set enemies on fire, but maybe it was just bad luck or a change in the gameplay but certain enemies would not flinch while burning from it, resulting in many gorefast blades to the face while trying to strafe them. Burn effects from the flamethrower and mac-10 cause enemies to flinch or stop their charge, allowing for a good way to circle-strafe enemies while they burn to death. The loss of a constant stream of fire with the flamethrower is a huge downfall for any firebug given its role as a close-range fighter, while the mac-10 was meant more for precision burning from a distance, which the husk gun can't compare to being a slower projectile. The husk arm's only benefit is that it doesn't need to be reloaded, and the burn is similar to the mac-10, but the charged shot seemed to have a smaller area of effect than I had hoped for.

44 Magnum- A lighter Handcannon, really. It's pretty clear these were created as a result of the Mk2 pistols from the weapons mod, and I think these are okay on their own, their light weight being a good back-up weapon while doing damage similar to a handcannon, less than the LAR. Dual-wielding while not a sharpshooter, however, seems to have the drawback of a longer reload time with only 12 shots between the two pistols.

I haven't tried the others out yet but I'm holding my breath they'll be better, especially since people say the M4 and MP5 are good.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Thompsons posted:

Can't wait to see how unplayable the game gets once the weekend rolls in.

Ugh, don't make me fill tonight full of it so I feel sated for the weekend.

The first rush will be this weekend with level 1 "pros" getting chewed up on hard, then the week after will be spent bleeding off the people that don't want to learn how to play, and then at the end of the event people will rush the game to get Santa--assuming he's back anyway.

And then when that's all said and done, we lose the X-Mas models. They really are my favorite character set :(

Oh, and maxed out supports will be welding doors to grief people during each rush too.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Husk Arm Launcher- I was really disappointed with this one. It does set enemies on fire, but maybe it was just bad luck or a change in the gameplay but certain enemies would not flinch while burning from it, resulting in many gorefast blades to the face while trying to strafe them. Burn effects from the flamethrower and mac-10 cause enemies to flinch or stop their charge, allowing for a good way to circle-strafe enemies while they burn to death. The loss of a constant stream of fire with the flamethrower is a huge downfall for any firebug given its role as a close-range fighter, while the mac-10 was meant more for precision burning from a distance, which the husk gun can't compare to being a slower projectile. The husk arm's only benefit is that it doesn't need to be reloaded, and the burn is similar to the mac-10, but the charged shot seemed to have a smaller area of effect than I had hoped for.

Charging it longer results in a bigger area of effect.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
After playing with the M4/203 some more I really wish they made it single shot or reduced it's fire rate; so much wasted ammo. :( I never use the Commando M4 in full-auto mode so I wouldn't mind at all if they stuck the M4/203 permanently on single.

E: Also that rear sight is ugly as hell

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 8, 2011

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Ice Cave is ridiculous. I can't seem to find anywhere that is even remotely defensible. Every ceiling and wall in every room seems to have a spawn hole or two. We were literally holed up in a tiny tunnel with a little u-bend just so that we wouldn't have stuff spawning on top of or behind us. But that leaves no room to pull back if you start to get overrun, and it's a very small, close kill zone on top of that.

Anyone have any luck on this map yet?

Edit: And I'm not talking like stalkers and crawlers spawning. Some of these little holes in the wall drop full-sized normal rear end enemies.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
We just beat icecave on suicidal. We chose to hold up in the room with Santa's chair, where zeds come out of two entrances, one elevated pipe along the corner and a ceiling hole. The pipe spawns normal zeds except for scrakes and fleshpounds, while the hole only drops crawlers and stalkers. So far, it seems to be the most manageable spot.

I'm starting to like the M4 quite a bit. Its recoil is less than the AK and feels just as powerful. I'll probably go Bullpup/M4, M4/SCAR from now on. Combat shotgun is also a good replacement for the regular one. The rest of new weapons are kinda meh.

Edit: The Magnum was also nice.

wretchx fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 8, 2011

Guerrilla Warfare
Feb 22, 2008
Does anyone know how to change the scope settings for the crossbow? I normally run with it on textured settings, but ever since the update its been screwy. The zoom is intense (it says 2.50 to the left) and displays no crosshair at all.

I'm unable to play with it on low/high model mode (the crosshair bobbing during movement gives me a headache) so any help would be appreciated. I seriously can't stand playing my favorite class because of this. :(

Edit: It appears that others using the textured scope setting are affected by this as well and TWI are aware and are working on it.

Guerrilla Warfare fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 8, 2011

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

windsor posted:

Edit: The Magnum was also nice.
I always seem to overshoot with the Magnums; I think the models for the dual Magnums are held slightly lower than the dual 9mm/HC and it throws my "centre-of-screen" sense off and I miss half my shots. :(

Gun is so cool though; dual Magnum/LAR every day. :clint:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I mainly play support with standard shotgun/AA12 and solo Handcannon as my panic button/far away dudes, but I tried the combat shotgun/AA12 and Dual Magnums, and so far, the Magnums are my favorite new gun in the game. They're like mini-LARs if you figure out where the reticule is. Also gave the Husk Cannon a shot kill off a Patriarch, definitely more suited for that task than the flamethrower or Mac10, but I wouldn't trust it for mobs.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I mainly play support with standard shotgun/AA12 and solo Handcannon as my panic button/far away dudes, but I tried the combat shotgun/AA12 and Dual Magnums, and so far, the Magnums are my favorite new gun in the game. They're like mini-LARs if you figure out where the reticule is. Also gave the Husk Cannon a shot kill off a Patriarch, definitely more suited for that task than the flamethrower or Mac10, but I wouldn't trust it for mobs.

Yeah, it isn't all that great for Mobs. Really with the Husk Cannon your Mac-10 gets a lot of action for trash cleaning.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of which, the Mac-10 now gets the ammo boost to its max ammo, which means it has 480 bullets at level 6 instead of 300 for every level. Between that and being able to fit a magnum into the Mac-10/Husk gun combo everything is great.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Best thing by far about the Magnum is how light it is. Seriously you can squeeze that thing onto just about any build. M14 + Dual .44s + Hand cannon is one hell of a SS build.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The combat shotty is great - it's much better at delivering damage fast than the regular shotty and costs little enough that it makes for a great wave 2 buy, even if you can somehow afford an AA-12 already (because the lack of ammo is an issue on the AA-12 if used alone).

Also the MP5 loving owns, it's accurate, deals good damage, has loads of ammo and a high rate of fire. I might play Medic most of the time now.

Husk cannon is also nice. The M4+203 is loving ridiculously expensive (why the hell does it cost MORE than a T3 weapon?!) but it's nice having a Demo weapon that shoots bullets.

freeforumuser posted:

Why does support always get the best things.

I still think they should split Support into two perks, a Support one that gets the carry weight bonuses and an Engineer one that gets shotties/weld (including shotty weight decrease).

Then add an M249 and GPMG as T2/3 weapons respectively. :haw:

Akoogly Eyes posted:

I can't connect to any servers, the game just gets stuck on the "Connecting (F10 cancels)" screen.

I get this in RO sometimes - try cancelling then immediately trying to connect to the same server again.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 8, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; dp

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 8, 2011

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
The magnums seem really inaccurate, earlier today I was on foundry blasting down at crawlers with them and puffs of dust would kick up between their feet, sometimes even behind them. With the handcannon I barely have to aim, just general direction and blam.

Additionally the magnum viewmodel looks really tiny, like a dinky toy gun. Not that serious but it does look kinda silly.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is it me or have scrakes been weakened? they seem to go down realy easily now.

Also demo has some bugs where the m4 looses the grenade function and the m79 will only hold 12 shots. Also the sprite crosshair doesnt appear on the xbow anymore. Looks like other people have had the same problems on the tripwire forums.

On top of that the server browser seems to be acting up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up one of them $6 servers for the Christmas event for my buddies and I.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/72.5.86.111:7707/

feel free to use it when we're not!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Did they ever release a patch list? people keep mentioning changes to the Zed behaviour etc but the news update on steam just says a small block of text with no real details.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
What's the deal with this game? I just tried to play and couldn't find a single server.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Industrial posted:

What's the deal with this game? I just tried to play and couldn't find a single server.

Every time there's a new official map it takes a day or two for all the major server operators to update for it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Every time there's a new official map it takes a day or two for all the major server operators to update for it.

So there are no servers right now? Good time for a Christmas event.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's like, 11AM in America dude. probably nobody playing

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Industrial posted:

So there are no servers right now? Good time for a Christmas event.

Taffer, alg, and I have 4 servers running. They're empty but feel free to fill them up!

Industrial
May 31, 2001

alg posted:

it's like, 11AM in America dude. probably nobody playing

Yes because no one works second or third shift or goes to college in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Free weekend means floods of pubs clogging everything. Give it a few days, its usually no problem at all to find servers. There's not thousands of them like TF2 but generally you can play whenever.

• Locked thread