Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sapato posted:

does anyone who watched the vgas, know what the bungie exclusive was?

Bungie had no presence there and their next games will be published by Activision so exclusive is not in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sapato posted:

does anyone who watched the vgas, know what the bungie exclusive was?

Bungie was not at the VGA's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I'm not really talking about those games though? The whole "Infected = Zombies" deal doesn't apply to RE5 (and 4)
They are the (non-boss) enemies in a RE game so by definition they are zombies. That's all there is to it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

What about all the games that exist where mindless zombies can still use weapons? Like Doom?

Wait, are the baddies in Doom seriously considered zombies? I thought they were hell creatures. What the gently caress :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

Wait, are the baddies in Doom seriously considered zombies? I thought they were hell creatures. What the gently caress :psyduck:

The guys with guns are called Zombies and are infected humans. The things that look like monsters are Hell Demons.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

BAM! Crushed both Uncharted 1 and Assassin's Creed 1. Unwrapped Uncharted 2 GOTY edition and popped it in HOLY JESUS 9 patches to download :(

I cannot wait to play this. :swoon:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The guys with guns are called Zombies and are infected humans. The things that look like monsters are Hell Demons.

Really? I always figured they were posessed marines. Go figure v:shobon:v

Also regarding Metal Gear Rising being set after MGS4 and the world having more cyborgs, what's the betting that for the story of MGS5 they turn Snake into a cyborg to preserve his life and prevent him from dying? :haw:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can't they just introduce another Snake clone?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Can't they just introduce another Snake clone?

That's not ridiculous enough.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Gaseous Snake? Plasma Snake?

In fact I'm shocked that at least that first one never appeared in MGS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

That's not ridiculous enough.

What if it was like a siamese twin snake? Cloning process gone horribly wrong. And it would be a co-op only online game.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Best news related to Last of Us is the news that Naughty Dog is now a two team studio so it could be assumed there is a second project in early stages of development in addition to Last of Us. I wish I saved the tweet mentioning this a few hours ago.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What if it was like a siamese twin snake? Cloning process gone horribly wrong. And it would be a co-op only online game.

You've just given me a great idea for a game, thanks. I'm probably gonna make that sometime now :3:

Edit: Apparently the team at Naughty Dog that is making The Last Of Us has been developing the game for 2 years, according to the creative director. What I find quite interesting is that a lot of Sony first party studios are now starting up secondary teams, as we've seen Polyphony Digital, Guerilla Games and now Naughty Dog do.

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 11, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm imagining some kind of horrible QWOP type scenario where one person moves and one aims, and items and weapon select are also split, and all lag is minimum 300.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Wow the VGA awards went by like a hurricane of bad game jokes, B-list celebrities and pretty average trailers. The big Diablo 3 and Bioshock Infinite trailers were honestly pretty unexciting, but I'm sure they'll play well anyways :)

For all the goons who wanted a quick recap of all the good trailers in one post:

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron here

The Last of Us here

Hitman: Absolution here

Metalgear Rising: Revengeance here

Command & Conquer Generals 2 here

List of trailers that weren't terribly exciting:
Rainbow 6: Patriots
Bioshock Infinite
Diablo 3 intro
The Amazing Spider-man
Mass Effect 3

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Wow the VGA awards went by like a hurricane of bad game jokes, B-list celebrities and pretty average trailers.
Honestly I don't see the appeal of having video game stuff on TV at all. Video games have all but replaced TV watching as far as my use of the TV goes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not a console game, but i'll just throw this out there anyways; Having played the Diablo 3 beta, the game is incredible and if you aren't excited for it, you really should be. Unless you don't play PC games, but still, Diablo 3 really is amazing.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
I would absoblutely love to play Diablo 3, but I don't think my macbook from 2008 can handle it even on the low settings :(

Having said that, who wants some more details about :siren:Title Fight:siren: from unkie Paul Gale?

Link: Title Fight Q 'n' A, Part 3

In between pictures of himself and David Hayter and a video of his cosplay as Ryu, Mr Gale has revealed some more information on Title Fight:

Q: Will Title Fight have any female characters?
A: Yes, there currently are two confirmed female characters in the game, one of which was already announced on Paul Gale Network, Fat Princess.

Q: Will there be any 3rd party characters in Title Fight?
A: From the list of fighters so far, there aren’t any 3rd party characters, however it is something that’s being considered.

Q: Are there life bars for the characters?
A: No, not right now at least. However an indicator of some sort that represents your character’s “life” might be integrated into either the color circle around the person

Q: Can you give us a 3rd stage?
A: The Bridge of Asylia from Lair is purportedly being in development. The stage is expected to have Lair’s epic score playing

Q: Can you give us an 8th character?
A: Yes I can- the pair of Jak and Daxter!

I'm surprised Sony didn't want to mention this at the 2011 VGAs, but I guess it's still in the very early stages of development. Also everytime I visit his site I feel very :psyduck:, but damnit you guys need to know!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Lair :psyduck:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's actually the second to last mission. Anyway I can't give any advice really, its' been too long since I've played it. All I can say is to focus on blowing away the things that can't respawn like turrets and stuff first.

Oh right there is one more on the book mode screen.

Got it! shot out all the gatling turrets and it was a loving cakewalk after that. The only tough part was blowing up the lance-cannon because Welkin apparently spent the night before this battle drinking, was severely hung over today and unable to hit poo poo

On to the end! :toot:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Am I a bad person if the part of the VGAs that got me most excited was Tony Hawk 1+2 being released as a collection in HD?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Am I a bad person if the part of the VGAs that got me most excited was Tony Hawk 1+2 being released as a collection in HD?

Yes because it isn't 1 and 2 being released as a collection in HD, just a few levels updated and put out digitally.

(DLC-ally)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bleep posted:

The best part of new trailers is that you get lots of new comments! Metal Gear Rising is off to a great start.

That's it, I'm leaving. I'm going to live in a hut on a desolate mountainside so I never have to talk to a human being ever again, just in case I meet one of these people.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

:sbahj:

Eh, I bet it's as real-time as any other Uncharted cutscene.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Gaseous Snake? Plasma Snake?

In fact I'm shocked that at least that first one never appeared in MGS4.

Bose-Einstein Conden-Snake

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I know that action sequences make for the best trailers, so I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but everything I see on Mass Effect 3 is leaving me cold. I loved the first one, thought the second was pretty good, but had been stripped of too many RPG elements, and 3 looks to be going even further towards just being a Gears of War-style shooter. :(

But Platinum are making a Metal Gear game, so I guess there is still goodness in the world. :allears:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ein Bear posted:

I know that action sequences make for the best trailers, so I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but everything I see on Mass Effect 3 is leaving me cold. I loved the first one, thought the second was pretty good, but had been stripped of too many RPG elements, and 3 looks to be going even further towards just being a Gears of War-style shooter. :(

Considering the Earth is currently being invaded instead of some rogue guy massing forces somewhere to attack at some unspecified time (ME1)... it makes sense that they'd go all out action on this one.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Krad posted:

Considering the Earth is currently being invaded instead of some rogue guy massing forces somewhere to attack at some unspecified time (ME1)... it makes sense that they'd go all out action on this one.
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it any more palatable. It's kind of sad to see Bioware stop doing RPGs and start doing... whatever it is they're doing these days.

Mass Effect 2 was still pretty fun (if not terribly RPG), but Dragon Age 2 pushed too far, and now we'll see how much beyond that ME3 goes :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

It makes sense, but that doesn't make it any more palatable. It's kind of sad to see Bioware stop doing RPGs and start doing... whatever it is they're doing these days.

Mass Effect 2 was still pretty fun (if not terribly RPG), but Dragon Age 2 pushed too far, and now we'll see how much beyond that ME3 goes :(

For what it's worth, Star Wars the Old Republic is an RPG and about as close to a Knights of the Old Republic 3 we are probably ever going to get. But that's PC only, so doesn't do a lot of good for this thread. :/

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The Metal Gear Rising Revengeance trailer looks absolutely retarded and cheesy but I still kinda want to play it anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Danthrax posted:

The Metal Gear Rising Revengeance trailer looks absolutely retarded and cheesy but I still kinda want to play it anyway.
Retarded and cheesy? Were you expecting anything different from a MGS game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder what happened to make the developer change the tone of Metal Gear Rising so much. I thought it was still going to be like classic Metal Gear Solid, but with a big emphasis on melee, but the sneaking around would still be there.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

I said come in! posted:

I wonder what happened to make the developer change the tone of Metal Gear Rising so much. I thought it was still going to be like classic Metal Gear Solid, but with a big emphasis on melee, but the sneaking around would still be there.

Kojima's team hit a dead end going that route, essentially cancelled the game, then Platinum stepped in and infused it with pure unadulterated GLORIUS NIPPON and now it looks awesome.

It's a good thing they shifted the emphasis away from the sneaking stuff, because crazy all out action is what Platinum does best.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

After MGS:Rising was originally unveiled at E3, the guys at Kojima Productions stated in interviews that they didn't even have a game, it was just some little tech demo they had floating around that they didn't know what to do with. I think the problem was Microsoft was so desperate to have something at their E3 shows to distract people from the lack of exclusives and overabundance of Kinect garbage, so they tried something big like MGS:R but the problem was it was showed waaaaaaay too early and yet again a second year running at the following E3. Kojima Productions didn't have a game to show at all, just some tech demo that was presumably running off the MGS4 engine.

I can only imagine that as time went by it became even more apparent that they couldn't base a game around some little gimmick and Kojima thought "Oh poo poo" and handed it off to a developer that could do an action game based off Raiden justice. They shouldn't have let Microsoft pad their E3 shows with the original Rising really, and just kept the whole thing a secret, but I imagine Kojima at least pocketed a nice wad of cash for it so good on him :D

It will be quite interesting to see how Metal Gear Rising performs commercially though once it's released, since I imagine it will either bomb terribly or sell millions, with no middleground between the two. Hopefully Kojima lets them make a Zone of the Enders 3 if it sells well though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Platinum Games making ZoE3? Please don't get my hopes up. That is literally the game I want most in the entire world. :smith:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

MUFFlNS posted:

Hopefully Kojima lets them make a Zone of the Enders 3 if it sells well though.
I'd settle for an HD re-release of ZoE 1/2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I'd settle for an HD re-release of ZoE 1/2.

That was announced already.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1172179p1.html

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Come to think of it, what is the deal with ZOE2? Why is it so popular and yet there has never been a sequel? I can't think of very many games with that big a gap between how well people think of it, and (I assume?) how badly it did sales-wise?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

The Majini in RE5 were fully intelligent, could speak to one another, do everything they could as regular people, and didn't eat human flesh. Also by the end of the game they were packing assault rifles and mini-guns.

I'm fairly certain RE5's enemies weren't zombies.

I loved it when they chased you in scooters.

Rising ain't going to be a Metal Gear game but who cares about that, there is going to be a MGS5 anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, what is the deal with ZOE2? Why is it so popular and yet there has never been a sequel? I can't think of very many games with that big a gap between how well people think of it, and (I assume?) how badly it did sales-wise?

Both ZoE games sold well, but to my understanding, ZoE2 sold worse. Hideo Kojima blamed it on the release date and being overshadowed by other games. It's also very likely that the fact that ZoE1 sold as well as it did was in large part due to the MGS2 demo disk included on the game. Back when it was released, the joke was that it was a $50 demo that came with a free game.

To quote Kojima about ZoE 2:

Hideo Kojima posted:

"It's a title that even now, six years later, is extremely well received by the press and users. However, due to errors in setting the release time frame, while it was a medium hit, it did not achieve the expected numbers."

• Locked thread