Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

MUFFlNS posted:

It will be quite interesting to see how Metal Gear Rising performs commercially though once it's released, since I imagine it will either bomb terribly or sell millions, with no middleground between the two. Hopefully Kojima lets them make a Zone of the Enders 3 if it sells well though.

I definitely agree. While Platinum games really does make fantastic action games this isn't really reflected in their sales at all, which range from poorly to somewhat profitable. I feel that Metal Gear Solid has a real niche market and following for its stealth gameplay, while Metal Gear Rising will need a lot more outside of setting to differentiate itself from all the other action games coming out, like Darksiders 2 and the Devil May Cry reboot which will also probably include fighting giant enemies with ridiculous weapons.

And for the record Kojima needs to make a ZoE3 regardless of sales :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MUFFlNS posted:

It will be quite interesting to see how Metal Gear Rising performs commercially though once it's released, since I imagine it will either bomb terribly or sell millions, with no middleground between the two. Hopefully Kojima lets them make a Zone of the Enders 3 if it sells well though.

This is what I am interested in seeing. I was put off by the trailer at first. I kept thinking that this is not a Metal gear game. How dare they. Then I realized that Raiden isn't Solid Snake and he just does things differently. The trailer wasn't so bad to me after that. A little over the top but that should be expected from Platinum. I still think the game will fail horribly though because people won't see past it and there will be no middle ground. This is strictly a pass/fail game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can I have a Policenauts sequel instead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jabro posted:

This is what I am interested in seeing. I was put off by the trailer at first. I kept thinking that this is not a Metal gear game. How dare they. Then I realized that Raiden isn't Solid Snake and he just does things differently. The trailer wasn't so bad to me after that. A little over the top but that should be expected from Platinum. I still think the game will fail horribly though because people won't see past it and there will be no middle ground. This is strictly a pass/fail game.

I really don't get this. Does everyone in the world forget the scenes in MGS2 where Raiden got a sword, kung-fu fight ninjas, blocked bullets with his blade and had a battle with a dual-sword wielding doctor Octopus after fighting a bunch of giant robots? Or the sequel where he showed up as exactly the dude he is here and did ridiculous poo poo like beating up guys with a sword he holds in his teeth? What the hell did people expect from a game starring Raiden.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, what is the deal with ZOE2? Why is it so popular and yet there has never been a sequel? I can't think of very many games with that big a gap between how well people think of it, and (I assume?) how badly it did sales-wise?

There are truck loads of games that did not do great in sales, yet are beloved by lots of people. God Hand, Okami, just about every SNES RPG, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Stranger's Wrath, The Dreamcast as a whole, Eternal Darkness, all the Panzer Dragoon games, Jet Set Radio Future, Alpha Protocol...I could go on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
MGS is a niche game? If it's niche it basically means every game I ever play is niche.

edit ^^^ For most of those I'd say the gap between how many people love it and how well it did on sales isn't as big as ZOE2. I have literally never met someone who didn't love ZOE2, but for instance, I didn't like God Hand or Alpha Protocol. Okami is a good comparison though, but Okami got a sequel.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2011

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I definitely agree. While Platinum games really does make fantastic action games this isn't really reflected in their sales at all, which range from poorly to somewhat profitable. I feel that Metal Gear Solid has a real niche market and following for its stealth gameplay, while Metal Gear Rising will need a lot more outside of setting to differentiate itself from all the other action games coming out, like Darksiders 2 and the Devil May Cry reboot which will also probably include fighting giant enemies with ridiculous weapons.

MGS4 sold over 5 million copies at last count (2 years ago) which isn't just impressive figures for an exclusive game, but also makes it one of the best selling games of this console generation. There's nothing niche about MGS :D I think the problems Rising faces though are that first and foremost, Platinum makes great games that bomb commercially (and since Rising follows their same traditional formula, there's a chance it will suffer the same fate) and as if that wasn't enough to doom them, it seems that the Metal Gear fanbase in general absolutely hate everything about the new Rising trailer and the fact a different developer is handling the game.

I'm kinda curious to see if the sales scare Kojima back to making a PlayStation exclusive again too, mainly because the times he's released Metal Gear games on Microsoft/Nintendo consoles in the past, they're bombed horribly and been a complete waste of time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As a Metal Gear Solid fan, I did not like the trailer. That style of gameplay does not appeal to me and I hate Raiden, and as far as I know, someone correct me on this, a lot of Metal Gear fans loathe that character too.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Samurai Sanders posted:

MGS is a niche game? If it's niche it basically means every game I ever play is niche.

edit ^^^ For most of those I'd say the gap between how many people love it and how well it did on sales isn't as big as ZOE2. I have literally never met someone who didn't love ZOE2, but for instance, I didn't like God Hand or Alpha Protocol.

Perhaps niche isn't the right word, but Metal Gear Solid is one of the very few (and first) games that emphasised stealth over full frontal engagements with enemies, and it's a genre that isn't too common today. Sure there's games that try to incorporate stealth mechanics such as the Uncharted and Assassins Creed series, but it's not as fine tuned or as tense like the MGS or Thief series where being discovered almost leads to instant failure you don't think fast enough. Deus Ex:Human Revolution came really close to pure stealth though, and I enjoyed that.

I guess when I say niche I meant it in that the gameplay style isn't as mainstream and well known as an FPS, Platformer, Music or Casual Party/ Fitness games which enjoy massive sales figures. Good to hear MGS4 sold like gangbusters though! :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

As a Metal Gear Solid fan, I did not like the trailer. That style of gameplay does not appeal to me and I hate Raiden, and as far as I know, someone correct me on this, a lot of Metal Gear fans loathe that character too.
Yeah I don't really know anyone who likes Raiden, other than apparently Kojima. It's almost like he was made to appeal to teenage girls, did Kojima want to bring them into the MGS market or something?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

I said come in! posted:

Can I have a Policenauts sequel instead?

No, it should be a SNATCHER sequel! <:mad:>

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I said come in! posted:

As a huge Metal Gear Solid fan (MGS is probably one of my favorite series in general) and as someone who hated the Raiden character in MGS2, I loved the new trailer. Platinum Games rules and is a perfect match for Kojima's insanity. And MGS4 actually made me like Raiden (I liked MGS4 in general as well).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I don't really know anyone who likes Raiden, other than apparently Kojima. It's almost like he was made to appeal to teenage girls, did Kojima want to bring them into the MGS market or something?

It wouldn't surprise me. That is the kinda person he is. Kojima is awesome by the way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Given that almost all the girls I know who also play videogames absolutely adore the MGS series, especially since MGS2... I think he did a pretty good job, actually.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know I've read somewhere that they literally had this in mind during development.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, well then there you go.

Actually come to think of it the first time I saw the MGS2 demo, a female friend of mine was the one playing it (not a teenager though). Why didn't I remember that?

edit: MGS4 was not very memorable for me, my image of Raiden is still mostly from MGS2.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2011

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

A lot of Metal Gear fans do hate Raiden, but since he was introduced as a cool cyborg ninja in MGS4, that shifted towards indifference or 'OMG so cool a ninja who tapdances with foot daggers'.

That being said, I don't really care for Raiden one way or another, but I didn't like any of the previous works from Platnium Games, and dislike that they changed the story to be post-MGS4.

The triumvirate of things to dislike about this game.

Although if you want niche..

quote:

Record of Agarest War 2 is coming to North America and Europe in summer 2012 for PS3, American publisher Aksys Games announced. Record of Agarest War 2 will be in HD and include a revamped grid battle system and a remastered world.

I couldn't even stomach playing through the first one. So go nuts, people who are masochistic.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I never played MGS2 but I really liked Raiden in MGS4, primarily because I just have a thing for cyberpunk stuff in general and from a design standpoint, his freaky jaw looks creepy/weird as hell which I love.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I never played MGS2 but I really liked Raiden in MGS4, primarily because I just have a thing for cyberpunk stuff in general and from a design standpoint, his freaky jaw looks creepy/weird as hell which I love.

In general, I really like how the series has gotten more and more cyberpunk, culminating in the nanotech age in MGS4. It's full-body cyborgs and vibroblades all the way from here now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe how long Kojima waited before bringing nanomachines into it. From now on it's going to be nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesNANOMACHINES!!!

edit: that's pretty much all I remember from MGS4, other than the joy of controlling a Metal Gear and how much it made me wish I was playing a new ZOE game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 11, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't believe how long Kojima waited before bringing nanomachines into it. From now on it's going to be nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesnanomachinesNANOMACHINES!!!

I reckon we're past that now - it's more traditional cyberpunk from here on out. Snatchers are a possibility, though.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Samurai Sanders posted:

They were using Nanomachines back in MGS1. Snake smuggles his cigs into Shadow Moses in his stomach because Nanomachines stop his stomach acids or something?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dominic White posted:

In general, I really like how the series has gotten more and more cyberpunk, culminating in the nanotech age in MGS4. It's full-body cyborgs and vibroblades all the way from here now.

That's why I hope that there is a MGS5 and that Kojima goes further into the future, going wild with cyborgs and everything. I mean I understand that a lot of people love MGS3 but I'd much rather see him carry the franchise into the future than dither with the past and such.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Samurai Sanders posted:

I expect the storyline to incorporate Transfarring as a warning to future generations. Or a philosophical debate on whether or not humans should go down the dark path that is Revengeance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ein Bear posted:

They were using Nanomachines back in MGS1. Snake smuggles his cigs into Shadow Moses in his stomach because Nanomachines stop his stomach acids or something?
Really? I remember the engineered virus, and some other medicine and stuff he got to stop the cold (or at least that's what Naomi told him), but I must have forgotten that.

Maybe I need to play MGS1 again, it's been many years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? I remember the engineered virus, and some other medicine and stuff he got to stop the cold (or at least that's what Naomi told him), but I must have forgotten that.

Maybe I need to play MGS1 again, it's been many years.

quote:

Snake : By the way, what was that injection for?

Naomi : It's a combination of and nanomachines and an anti-freezing peptide
so that your blood and other bodily fluids don't freeze, even at
sub-arctic temperatures.

Snake : Nanomachines?

Naomi : Not just one kind either. There are different types which will
replenish the supply of adrenaline, nutrition and sugar in your
bloodstream.

Yep, Nanomachines! (Nanomachines?!)

They also keep the Codec charged and function as a GPS transmitter (the DARPA Chief has them too), and Snake worries they're giving him hallucinations when Psycho Mantis fucks with him. Oh, and they shut off his weapons when he goes into the nuclear warhead storage room. And of course, he got FoxDie'd when Naomi injected him with the nanomachines.

Nanomachines do everything!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RadicalR posted:

No, it should be a SNATCHER sequel! <:mad:>

Yeah, this. Policenauts has a relatively conclusive ending, as opposed to Snatcher which ends on what's basically a cliffhanger.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yep, Nanomachines! (Nanomachines?!)

They also keep the Codec charged and function as a GPS transmitter (the DARPA Chief has them too), and Snake worries they're giving him hallucinations when Psycho Mantis fucks with him. Oh, and they shut off his weapons when he goes into the nuclear warhead storage room. And of course, he got FoxDie'd when Naomi injected him with the nanomachines.

Nanomachines do everything!
Oh, okay never mind. I wonder why my memory of MGS4 is full of nanomachines but not 1 then? All I remmebered was foxdie, which is not really a nanomachine, unless engineered viruses are nanomachines.

edit: I wonder how much surprised repeating of lines?! is going to happen in the new game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 11, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, okay never mind. I wonder why my memory of MGS4 is full of nanomachines but not 1 then?

Half of MSG4's script is the word Nanomachines, whereas there are only like 10 times it gets brought up in MGS1. They're a major primary focus in MSG4 while they're mostly just technobabble background fluff in MGS1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would commit murder for a directors cut of sorts of MGS4 where it cuts out a lot of the cutscenes that are just explaining things that have already been told to us, adds new scenes that make the story a bit more coherent and adds more levels.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

I would commit murder for a directors cut of sorts of MGS4 where it cuts out a lot of the cutscenes that are just explaining things that have already been told to us, adds new scenes that make the story a bit more coherent and adds more levels.

You do realize that when the game comes out your trial will be over and you will be in prison for life which won't allow you to play the game you committed murder for?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I don't think that can save MGS4. I just didn't like anything about it as much as MGS3, or even 2 really. Except for one (the metal gear vs. metal gear fight), all of my good memories of MGS are from other games.

edit: hell, I've only played a little bit of Peace Walker and it is already more memorable than 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think that can save MGS4. I just didn't like anything about it as much as MGS3, or even 2 really. Except for one (the metal gear vs. metal gear fight), all of my good memories of MGS are from other games.

See, I would have liked it a lot more if it had more content! The combat and sneaking around were the best parts of the game, but there wasn't enough of it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'd love a directors cut of MGS4 but I'd hate for them to remove anything, I'd just want more stuff added in. I mean, MGS4 with Metal Gear Online redone (removing Konami ID stuff) and all the DLC on disc would be great enough, but more levels would also be a really nice bonus. I know some people disliked the amount of cutscenes but at the end of the day I still think of it quite fondly as one of the best games I've played. I just really like that they went completely overboard with it being as it was the last we'll see of Snake (well, apparently anyways) and Kojima just went crazy with it and didn't give a gently caress, which I find pretty respectable to be honest. It just seems like the game Kojima had wanted to make throughout his whole career and he finally got to make it v:shobon:v

I also think this is why he's kinda lost since releasing it and doesn't really know what to do with himself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't remember what they were even fighting about. What would Ocelot have done if he had won?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't remember what they were even fighting about. What would Ocelot have done if he had won?
Pretty much have total control over all of the standing armies of the world through SOP.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ocelot accomplished his objective of destroying the Patriots with your help. Only he wished to replace the AI control with his control so he could re-establish Big Boss' vision for a world where soldiers were not merely tools. Big Boss himself though comes to see he should stop loving with the world on such a scale.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So that new Naughty Dog game with Ellen Page in it looks pretty interesting. Here's hoping it's good.

Also yes, I'm still alive, despite not having a working PS3 for almost 2 months now. :smith:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
The Last of Us looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well gently caress the [actual] last fight in Valkyria.

it really doesn't seem like it'd be that hard IF loving WELKIN WOULD HIT THE GOD drat loving TOWERS MORE THAN 1 OUT OF 10 TIMES. I've resorted to basically save scumming this poo poo, because I'll be pressed up so close to a tower I'm practically loving it and Welkin still manages to miss by like a god damned foot. If I hit one, I save, and it seems like it's been save-fire-load-fire-load-fire-load-fire-load-fire-hit-save-repeat. I got lucky in the first round and managed to disable the towers and Maximilian down to like 50% health, but the second time, one armored tower is live and Welkin just loving can't hit the thing. I guess I'll try again with Largo, maybe.

I wonder if I could do him in one turn; zap the towers, figure out some way to get Marina protected from his horrible death ray [there's an order for this right?], and headshot him a few times...

Grrragh. Nevermind what I said before about not getting hosed by random number generators in this game. There is no excuse for bad aim when I've got a buttload of accuracy mods and I am practically touching the barrel of my gun to my target. Sure it's a small target but jesus it isn't moving or anything.

Gettin' mad about video games.

[gettin' rather excited about new Tony Hawk though, gently caress yes]

• Locked thread