Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ From what I remember, you're better off just hitting the towers with Scouts or Snipers, but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

^ From what I remember, you're better off just hitting the towers with Scouts or Snipers, but don't quote me on that.

Well for the distant ones I am; the ones that piss me off the worst are the ones near the spawn [whose machine guns make it tough for me to take them down with anything but tanks]. Marina's able to consistently whack the far off one dead center... hmm, guess I never DID have her try for the armored one midway down, but I figured "armored == no bullets just tank rounds".

Bah it's late, I'm tired from my bitter nerd rage, I'll try tomorrow.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Am I a bad person if the part of the VGAs that got me most excited was Tony Hawk 1+2 being released as a collection in HD?

Oh, man, I didn't watch the VGAs. Was this seriously an announcement? Because this makes me excited, too.

The Flying Milton posted:

Yes because it isn't 1 and 2 being released as a collection in HD, just a few levels updated and put out digitally.

(DLC-ally)

Oh, unless this is true. gently caress this. Uggghh, I'm so conflicted.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I recommend Allstar Yakyukken Battle. Why play popular titles when Japanese dvd players games are judt as good? And they take their clothes off if you win :cheers:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

whip posted:

I recommend Allstar Yakyukken Battle. Why play popular titles when Japanese dvd players games are judt as good? And they take their clothes off if you win :cheers:

Oh what the gently caress did I just look up.

Edit: I got Yakyuu (baseball) mixed up with Yakyukken (rock-paper-scissors) so I was all "What's this baseball game?" and it is not a baseball game no it is not.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Morpheus posted:

Oh what the gently caress did I just look up.

Edit: I got Yakyuu (baseball) mixed up with Yakyukken (rock-paper-scissors) so I was all "What's this baseball game?" and it is not a baseball game no it is not.

3 strikes and you're out. Close enough

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
My 5 year old is into watching skateboarding videos and I was thinking about getting him a game for the PS3 to put under the tree. Since he is only 5 here are the requirements

1. You can just skate around ad infinitum without any sort of timer or anything. He has some monster truck game on the wii that sucks because you get to smash trucks for 1 minute then you get 3 minutes of loading screens, menus, and score screens before you can play again for 1 minute.

2. Somewhat simple controls (I haven't played tony hawk in ages, but I remember tony hawk on the ps2 being pretty simple, just hold down x and let it go to ollie).

3. Bargain bin would be great.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Begby posted:

My 5 year old is into watching skateboarding videos and I was thinking about getting him a game for the PS3 to put under the tree. Since he is only 5 here are the requirements

1. You can just skate around ad infinitum without any sort of timer or anything. He has some monster truck game on the wii that sucks because you get to smash trucks for 1 minute then you get 3 minutes of loading screens, menus, and score screens before you can play again for 1 minute.

2. Somewhat simple controls (I haven't played tony hawk in ages, but I remember tony hawk on the ps2 being pretty simple, just hold down x and let it go to ollie).

3. Bargain bin would be great.
... on the one hand, I want to recommend Skate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JqElFb9Uig

Because it absolutely matches #1 and #3, and captures the feel of skateboarding videos perfectly. Not sure the controls would be simple enough, though. An ollie is simple, just flick the stick down then up, but the flick controls in general get a little weird if you try anything advanced. Might be worth a try?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So E3 registration opened today and I got an alumni email saying I wouldn't need to submit my industry credentials again if they hadn't changed. On a lark, I registered and... uh... got my confirmation. Guess I get to go to E3 again?

Thanks, Sony contest. The gift that keeps on giving. :haw:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

So E3 registration opened today and I got an alumni email saying I wouldn't need to submit my industry credentials again if they hadn't changed. On a lark, I registered and... uh... got my confirmation. Guess I get to go to E3 again?

What...how did...huh?!?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Fuzz posted:

What are your industry credentials? :wth:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

whip posted:

Annoying someone on the internet enough to have a sonic the hedgehog title ;)

That's pretty awesome though (The E3 thing)!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

whip posted:

He won a contest last year, and was briefly "That Guy who Takes Video Games Too Seriously, Ruining Them for Everyon Else." He's very well qualified.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Weird. I was reading a Japanese game blog (borderline nws ads) and someone proposed the top 5 poo poo games of the year, and LA Noire was sitting at #5. Reading the comments it seemed that everyone there was expecting a GTA sandbox game and were extremely frustrated that it wasn't one, and it went into the bargain bin immediately. Over here I remember hearing from early on that that's not what it was about, maybe they didn't get that over there?

Incidentally the other four were Sengoku Basara Chronicles (PSP), Winning Eleven 3D (3DS), Naruto Narultimate Impact (PSP) and Ace Combat Assault Horizon (PS3).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird. I was reading a Japanese game blog (borderline nws ads) and someone proposed the top 5 poo poo games of the year, and LA Noire was sitting at #5. Reading the comments it seemed that everyone there was expecting a GTA sandbox game and were extremely frustrated that it wasn't one. Over here I remember hearing from early on that that's not what it was about, maybe they didn't get that over there?

Incidentally the other four were Sengoku Basara Chronicles (PSP), Winning Eleven 3D (3DS), Naruto Narultimate Impact (PSP) and Ace Combat Assault Horizon (PS3).

I think it's more that people expect that kind of game out of Rockstar and are mad when they don't get it. It's a bit annoying, similar to how people get mad about a game from a series not being what they expected it to be, but if it weren't stuck to that hype then it would have been an alright game that nobody would have really complained about.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Shalinor posted:

... on the one hand, I want to recommend Skate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JqElFb9Uig

Because it absolutely matches #1 and #3, and captures the feel of skateboarding videos perfectly. Not sure the controls would be simple enough, though. An ollie is simple, just flick the stick down then up, but the flick controls in general get a little weird if you try anything advanced. Might be worth a try?

Excellent. Thank you for the suggestion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

I think it's more that people expect that kind of game out of Rockstar and are mad when they don't get it. It's a bit annoying, similar to how people get mad about a game from a series not being what they expected it to be, but if it weren't stuck to that hype then it would have been an alright game that nobody would have really complained about.
If only they had known that Rockstar didn't develop it...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Begby posted:

Yeah, seconding Skate here. It's really only as complex as you want it to be. The basic moving around and jumping off things is dead simple - more intuitive than the Tony Hawk games, I reckon. Fancy moves are very complicated, though. It's meant to be more of a skating 'sim' than others.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Samurai Sanders posted:

If only they had known that Rockstar didn't develop it...

I'll admit I didn't know either but hey I haven't looked at the game at all so it's fair that I don't know. Still, there's plenty of people who think that the developer is the same thing as the publisher, at least in English-speaking forums. I have no idea how many times I've seen people think everything Atlus puts out is developed by them, or that New Vegas was done by Bethesda, just to name a couple cases.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Begby posted:

If you go Skate, get either 1 or 3. 2 threw in a lot of bullshit security guards that lock down areas of the map until you do X Y Z, which I can't imagine would be fun for a 5 year old that just wants to go grind on that awesome looking bench.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh, neat! There's a sequel to Sniper Elite in the works. Trailer here.

Due next year for 360/PS3. The original (PC/PS2/Xbox 1) was recently ported to the Wii, and it's really a remarkably underrated game. It's all about sniping - breath, gravity, heart rate and wind speed all need to be taken into account. One of Rebellion's last good games, too. Hoping the sequel manages the same.

Hoping the plot is nicely morally questionable again, too. In the first, you played as a US agent, disguised as a German sniper on a mission to assassinate Russians in Berlin during the end of the war so that they don't get their hands on any nuclear research.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 12, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

I'll admit I didn't know either but hey I haven't looked at the game at all so it's fair that I don't know. Still, there's plenty of people who think that the developer is the same thing as the publisher, at least in English-speaking forums. I have no idea how many times I've seen people think everything Atlus puts out is developed by them, or that New Vegas was done by Bethesda, just to name a couple cases.
Anyway even leaving aside disappointment stemming from it not being what they expected, how could they have disliked it so much? I have some problems with LA Noire but it is still a triumph of a game in almost every respect.

edit: in fact the first like four comments were "man I expected so much, and I got THIS?!?" as if what was bad about it was self-evident.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 12, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Shalinor posted:

If you go Skate, get either 1 or 3. 2 threw in a lot of bullshit security guards that lock down areas of the map until you do X Y Z, which I can't imagine would be fun for a 5 year old that just wants to go grind on that awesome looking bench.

Eh, the guards really barely do anything and are easily avoided. 2's city is basically 1 but better plus you can get off your board.

Also if his kid really wants to play a loving impossible skating game like I did when I was young get him a copy of Skate or Die.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're going to get Skate 3, it doesn't get any cheaper than it is right now.

Skate 3 - $11.99

Today only though. This goes for most of EA's other games too, 40% off today only.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyway even leaving aside disappointment stemming from it not being what they expected, how could they have disliked it so much? I have some problems with LA Noire but it is still a triumph of a game in almost every respect.

edit: in fact the first like four comments were "man I expected so much, and I got THIS?!?" as if what was bad about it was self-evident.

Well, LA Noire is really heavily set in a certain time and place and the gameplay is pretty simplistic and coached heavily in the atmosphere of that time and place. Without the same cultural reference points, it might not have the same impact. (And it's worth noting that a lot of people even in the US *really* hated it.)

I also wonder what kind of translation it got. LA Noire is so heavily promoted off its visuals and body language being so "realistic", a bad dub could really throw that off worse than normal.

Also, it could just be the fact that someone in Japan who really wanted a western-style GTA game is less interested in what amounts to a slightly more interactive visual novel.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd imagine that LA Noire would have fared a lot better in Japan if they'd marketed it strongly as what it is - basically a grittier, slightly more open version of Phoenix Wright or other such equivalent games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ImpAtom posted:

Well, LA Noire is really heavily set in a certain time and place and the gameplay is pretty simplistic and coached heavily in the atmosphere of that time and place. Without the same cultural reference points, it might not have the same impact. (And it's worth noting that a lot of people even in the US *really* hated it.)

I also wonder what kind of translation it got. LA Noire is so heavily promoted off its visuals and body language being so "realistic", a bad dub could really throw that off worse than normal.

Also, it could just be the fact that someone in Japan who really wanted a western-style GTA game is less interested in what amounts to a slightly more interactive visual novel.

They were probably just pissed about how Cole killed so many Japs in the war. :smugbert:

Edit: and to be clear, because goons are sensitive and freak out, not being racist here, the game uses that terminology.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Given the whole promise of the game being that your decisions are open and change the game, kind of with Heavy Rain, I can see how someone would be disappointed with something that, if you take out the fancy graphics and godawful driving sections, becomes a Phoenix Wright game with a more serious tone but less obvious evidence/clues.

I felt a lot of the time I had to jump into an accusation just to hear what was said before I could decide whether to press the "be a dickhead" button or to actually put some evidence forward.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Fuzz posted:

The Biggest Dick

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

They were probably just pissed about how Cole killed so many Japs in the war. :smugbert:

Edit: and to be clear, because goons are sensitive and freak out, not being racist here, the game uses that terminology.
Actually I found it interesting how he was treated as the only person who saw the enemy as humans in the war.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have some problems with LA Noire but it is still a triumph of a game in almost every respect.

I wouldn't call it a triumph. It boasts some really neat technology, but the gameplay was not really that great. The interviews seemed cut and pasted, meaning my character would go from "oh hey" to "gently caress YOU" and then back again without any sort of real reaction from the witnesses. Investigating a scene was just pressing a button around the environment until you found something. The one gunplay section I played before returning the game was loving terrible.

I can certainly see how it would appeal to people, and from hearing about it from other people there seems to be a really good story buried in there, but it wasn't my bag at all.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

1942 was released by Capcom in 1984 and is a video game about an American fighter pilot blowing up the Japanese air fleet on his way to Tokyo. :japan:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EC posted:

I wouldn't call it a triumph. It boasts some really neat technology, but the gameplay was not really that great. The interviews seemed cut and pasted, meaning my character would go from "oh hey" to "gently caress YOU" and then back again without any sort of real reaction from the witnesses. Investigating a scene was just pressing a button around the environment until you found something. The one gunplay section I played before returning the game was loving terrible.

I can certainly see how it would appeal to people, and from hearing about it from other people there seems to be a really good story buried in there, but it wasn't my bag at all.
Surely we can agree that it doesn't deserve to be in the worst five games of the year, right?

edit: vvv yeah that's what I went in hoping for, and I got it. My only problem with the game was that it didn't have multiple endings.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 13, 2011

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I enjoyed LA Noire a lot. I guess people had different expectations. I kinda knew it was going to be basically the console equivalent to a point and click adventure. I was a big fan of Police Quest and such. I study film so all the references and poo poo was up my alley. A chase scene on the set of intolerance ending with a Griffith last minute rescue was faptastic!

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

tooooooo bad posted:

1942 was released by Capcom in 1984 and is a video game about an American fighter pilot blowing up the Japanese air fleet on his way to Tokyo. :japan:

They made up for this by trying to make the most American looking Street Fighter be Japanese :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

Surely we can agree that it doesn't deserve to be in the worst five games of the year, right?

Definitely not worst, but one of the most over-hyped of the year for me. I can totally see how other people dig it, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

whip posted:

They made up for this by trying to make the most American looking Street Fighter be Japanese :)
Guile? Or Ken? I'm not following you...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually I found it interesting how he was treated as the only person who saw the enemy as humans in the war.

Yeah, I really liked the war backstory in the game.

Hell, I really liked all the story in the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Codemasters is releasing Dirt 3.5 and charging $60 for it: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/announcement-trailer-dirt-showdown/724858

At least that is what it looks like to me. I think i'm done with Codemaster racing games over all, i've felt burned on F1 2010, 2011, and Dirt 3 fell way short of what Codemasters promised it would be. The last year, they've just been shoveling out really poor quality games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get this. Does everyone in the world forget the scenes in MGS2 where Raiden got a sword, kung-fu fight ninjas, blocked bullets with his blade and had a battle with a dual-sword wielding doctor Octopus after fighting a bunch of giant robots? Or the sequel where he showed up as exactly the dude he is here and did ridiculous poo poo like beating up guys with a sword he holds in his teeth? What the hell did people expect from a game starring Raiden.

Maybe almost everyone who replays MGS2 just does the Tanker section (short and sweet) because playing all the way to the end of Raiden's section (unless you are trying to get dog tags or 'the full experience') is mostly unbearable due to the cheesiness of the dialogue - so I could actually imagine that lots of people really do tend to forget the very end of the game.

MUFFlNS posted:

I'd love a directors cut of MGS4 but I'd hate for them to remove anything, I'd just want more stuff added in.

I was really hoping Peace Walker would have the same sneaking mechanics as MGS4, but I guess that would be impossible on a PSP.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 13, 2011

• Locked thread