Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

zmcnulty posted:

How much would you attribute to the network? Have you tried Boxcar? That's what I've been using since I got that weird au/iPhone/Gmail/Push mojibake bug.

I've tested it both in my house on the same Wifi and outside on the mobile networks and the Android was slower in both situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

dtb posted:

1) Email pushes faster to my iPhone. I can open and read an email on my iPhone before it arrives on the Nexus
2) I would like a visual notification in standbye for email like on my iPhone so that I can just look at the screen when an email comes rather then unlock and open the GMail app

1) This could be a network issue but it might also simply be the OS is bogged down and its slow to run. Might also be the mail app doesn't put up a notification till the email has been downloaded fully.

2) There's an app for that. (I don't know what, but I'm sure there is)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

dtb posted:

2) I would like a visual notification in standbye for email like on my iPhone so that I can just look at the screen when an email comes rather then unlock and open the GMail app

For gmail, the icon should show up in your notification tray, which you can just open to see the mail. I don't know how ICS works, though.

For sp mode mail, I use the widget plus widget locker to see the number of e-mails, sender, and a brief summary on the lock screen.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Right so some simple questions :)

1: What frequencies/network types do the big 3 operate in japan?

The only info I can find is a sort of generic statement that Japan runs 3g networks in 2100mhz. But I also know that there is at least one provider that runs 850mhz or 1900mhz infill as I can roam with my 850/1900mhz UMTS/HSPDA phone there (I vaguely remember seeing dotcomo as the network name, but my memory is pretty bad, so it could have been anyone).

2: Are raw simcards available for prepaid accounts?

Couple of parts for this, my wife wants to get and keep a prepaid number (and get her mum to turn it on every couple of months to keep the phone active), but wants to put the simcard into her W995a (another HSDPA 850/1900) phone. Also would like another sim for my phone so I don't have to pay our stupid roaming charges ($30NZD a mb). We have lots of relatives who can get us these sim cards (and my wife can just use her folks address) so it is just a matter of finding out if any of the pre-paid companies actually do just simcard packages. ( the brother in law should be able to find us the APN settings).

3: What data plans are available for prepaid?

Or are we stuck with the quite high carges that I can see from softbank with per packet charges.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

dtb posted:

Just got my Galaxy Nexus today
So far two complaints:
1) Email pushes faster to my iPhone. I can open and read an email on my iPhone before it arrives on the Nexus

But all around it is a very solid device.

The lack of additional storage is a non-issue since we will soon have data in the subway; stream all your music. I do it already on my iPhone: iCloud baby.

You can't use the iCloud music function (iTunes match) in Japan yet, can you?!

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Rekka posted:

You can't use the iCloud music function (iTunes match) in Japan yet, can you?!

I bet you can if you have a US iTunes account.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Right so some simple questions :)

1: What frequencies/network types do the big 3 operate in japan?

The only info I can find is a sort of generic statement that Japan runs 3g networks in 2100mhz. But I also know that there is at least one provider that runs 850mhz or 1900mhz infill as I can roam with my 850/1900mhz UMTS/HSPDA phone there (I vaguely remember seeing dotcomo as the network name, but my memory is pretty bad, so it could have been anyone).

2: Are raw simcards available for prepaid accounts?

Couple of parts for this, my wife wants to get and keep a prepaid number (and get her mum to turn it on every couple of months to keep the phone active), but wants to put the simcard into her W995a (another HSDPA 850/1900) phone. Also would like another sim for my phone so I don't have to pay our stupid roaming charges ($30NZD a mb). We have lots of relatives who can get us these sim cards (and my wife can just use her folks address) so it is just a matter of finding out if any of the pre-paid companies actually do just simcard packages. ( the brother in law should be able to find us the APN settings).

3: What data plans are available for prepaid?

Or are we stuck with the quite high carges that I can see from softbank with per packet charges.

Sorry for the late reply on this.

1) It's basically a disaster but you can mostly summarize by saying KDDI and Docomo use 800MHz, while Softbank uses 1.5GHz for 3G. That will change as LTE/4G is introduced by more carriers.
2) All the prepaid setups I've seen involve buying an actual handset as well. But they tend to be cheap, a few thousand yen at the most. In theory it should be possible to buy a prepaid phone, take out the sim card, and plop it in her phone.
3) Never seen an unlimited data plan for prepaid. They charge 9 yen per 10 seconds of 64K data usage, or something completely ridiculous.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The AU iPhone got an update earlier today, anyone have any idea what it did? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

I bet you can if you have a US iTunes account.

Yup
Only reason I maintain a bank account in the states is for a credit card just for iTunes :)

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Original_Z posted:

The AU iPhone got an update earlier today, anyone have any idea what it did? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

I think you're a month late on getting the 5.0.1 update unless you're running the beta of 5.1 that was release yesterday
http://japanese.engadget.com/2011/12/12/ios-5-1-beta-2/

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

dtb posted:

I think you're a month late on getting the 5.0.1 update unless you're running the beta of 5.1 that was release yesterday
http://japanese.engadget.com/2011/12/12/ios-5-1-beta-2/

Nah, a popup said a carrier update was available. I installed it, and the network connection restarted. I assume they added features that AU didn't support, but have no idea what they are, no info was given.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Original_Z posted:

Nah, a popup said a carrier update was available. I installed it, and the network connection restarted. I assume they added features that AU didn't support, but have no idea what they are, no info was given.

Never seen a carrier update on my Softbank iPhone.
What version of the OS does it say you're running?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

As far as I can tell there's two levels of firmware for any given iPhone: Apple layer and carrier layer. The Apple layer provides all of the functionality available, then the carrier layer will enable/disable certain features. That's why my Messaging screen doesn't have diddly squat on it.

I guess this carrier layer can be updated over-the-air, like iOS itself. Still no telling what was added (or removed) today though. Some dudes on 2ch were saying that traffic data has been added in Google Maps, but I thought that was there before? And not really sure why it would require a carrier update, more like a Maps application update.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I got a carrier update on my softbank iPhone the other day. It said it just added free access to more public wifi spots though.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ganguro King posted:

I got a carrier update on my softbank iPhone the other day. It said it just added free access to more public wifi spots though.

Yeah I got one of those a few months ago, along with a gigantor text from 57 (Softbank notifications) explaining what was included.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

I don't know that I would call that a carrier update, what they did was send you a link to download a Profile that stores with Wifi passwords.
It's for enterprise customers so they can easily do settings across many devices without individually setting each one up.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone's iPhone iOS 5 earthquake warning system ever go off?
Mine went off once in the middle the night for an earthquake that woke me up, but for example it didn't go off today a few hours ago.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

zmcnulty posted:

Sorry for the late reply on this.

1) It's basically a disaster but you can mostly summarize by saying KDDI and Docomo use 800MHz, while Softbank uses 1.5GHz for 3G. That will change as LTE/4G is introduced by more carriers.
2) All the prepaid setups I've seen involve buying an actual handset as well. But they tend to be cheap, a few thousand yen at the most. In theory it should be possible to buy a prepaid phone, take out the sim card, and plop it in her phone.
3) Never seen an unlimited data plan for prepaid. They charge 9 yen per 10 seconds of 64K data usage, or something completely ridiculous.

Thanks, on 1 that looks like a unmitigated nightmare. I guess it stops people changing providers with their phones though, so they become mostly disposable items.

On 2 I guess we will just get a cheapie phone and be happy with it. The wife is only staying for a month, which puts it outside of the stealing her mums phone length, but long enough to want a phone. I can live without a mobile. Its just nice to be able to use google maps to find my way around some areas. As most of the time I have no idea where I am walking around Suganami-ku.

I was just asking because softbank do a 1500Y cap on the iphone sims they rent. But not on the smartphone sims. And based on the wiki page, my phone won't work with softbank anyways.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

dtb posted:

Does anyone's iPhone iOS 5 earthquake warning system ever go off?
Mine went off once in the middle the night for an earthquake that woke me up, but for example it didn't go off today a few hours ago.

Nope. We had a shindo 2 or 3 here a few weeks ago and it didn't go off, either.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Thanks, on 1 that looks like a unmitigated nightmare. I guess it stops people changing providers with their phones though, so they become mostly disposable items.

On 2 I guess we will just get a cheapie phone and be happy with it. The wife is only staying for a month, which puts it outside of the stealing her mums phone length, but long enough to want a phone. I can live without a mobile. Its just nice to be able to use google maps to find my way around some areas. As most of the time I have no idea where I am walking around Suganami-ku.

I was just asking because softbank do a 1500Y cap on the iphone sims they rent. But not on the smartphone sims. And based on the wiki page, my phone won't work with softbank anyways.

Not sure what OS you are using or if there is an equivalent app, but when I was in Panama I used this a lot:
http://appcomments.com/appdetails/id327783342/City_Maps_2Go_reviews

Basically you download maps in advance of your trip and you can use them offline. Since GPS requires no data connection to work.

I thought on Android though Google Maps can do pre-caching?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/6124146/

Au iPhone getting iMessage and Facetime March of next year.
I didn't realize you couldn't use the visual voicemail either (no word on that). I pity the phoo that bought an Au iPhone.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of iPhones, has anyone on Softbank had their SMS ringtones messed up lately? Mine sound like it is playing the ringtone a bunch of times in rapid succession and cutting itself off. Vibrator goes crazy too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganguro King posted:

Speaking of iPhones, has anyone on Softbank had their SMS ringtones messed up lately? Mine sound like it is playing the ringtone a bunch of times in rapid succession and cutting itself off. Vibrator goes crazy too.

yeah, I listen to music a lot of the time and mine (iPhone 4) sounds like it's trying to cut in and not interrupt what's going on too much. So then the message tone's beginning is choppy and screwing with whatever I'm listening to. Haven't noticed the vibration, but definitely the SMS/text/mail tone being screwy. Maybe it's an iOS software issue? There was an update recently and that might be about the time this started.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

dtb posted:

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/6124146/

Au iPhone getting iMessage and Facetime March of next year.
I didn't realize you couldn't use the visual voicemail either (no word on that). I pity the phoo that bought an Au iPhone.

It's not like they kept it secret, every phoo who went with au knew that there was no iMessage or Facetime support yet anyway. Of course, no pity is required if that phoo likes Youtube!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 28, 2011

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Ganguro King posted:

Yea, sometimes when I get a notification (mostly iMessage) it goes off like 4 times, often before it completes the first notification.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

It's not like they kept it secret, every phoo who went with au knew that there was no iMessage or Facetime support yet anyway. Of course, no pity is required if that phoo likes Youtube!

It's a pain in the rear end to do group conversations with a phoo that doesn't have iMessage when everyone else does that's phoo-sure.

Yes, the Softbank data network sucks. Their solution is to put wifi everywhere. It's alright but the goddamn login screen popping up every time I walk in to a store is annoying.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I only use wifi when I'm at home (brought my wireless router from the States, that turned out to be a brilliant idea). There's not enough wifi around down here to justify leaving it on, and having the iPhone always trying to sniff out wifi makes things slower - it spends time trying to find that before just latching on and loading things with 3G.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

How does the SoftBank one work? Do you have to actually login every time?

KDDI one had me download some settings pack, which I guess contained WPA2 passwords and such since it automatically connects now. Pretty useful but the iPhone seems to suck at Wifi/3G handoff -- if I lose the wifi while sending an email for example it just craps out, rather than having 3G pickup where wifi left off.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

KDDI one had me download some settings pack, which I guess contained WPA2 passwords and such since it automatically connects now. Pretty useful but the iPhone seems to suck at Wifi/3G handoff -- if I lose the wifi while sending an email for example it just craps out, rather than having 3G pickup where wifi left off.

Once you download the profile, when it comes in the area of a hotspot it connects using standard WEP security. The problem is though that it then uses a web based authentication based on your Softbank account too which means a browser window pops up for a second showing the Softbank logo etc which stops you from doing whatever you were doing.

I don't know that it cuts of email sending though; that sounds more like an iPhone problem then a Wifi problem.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Is there any trick to getting softbank to let you sign up for a SIM only contract with a factory unlocked iPhone 4S? I've been flat out told that they can't do it twice.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

My understanding is that SoftBank specifically excludes Apple products from its SIM-only plans. Your other options are b-mobile/Aeon or docomo's Xi service.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I asked this in the iPhone thread, and was directed here.

I have a Softbank iPhone 4. Is there anyway to sell it to someone in America so they could use it? Is an iPhone an iPhone an iPhone, or is what I have some kind of Japan-only iPhone that will only work with a certain company.

I know I can give it to someone else to use with Softbank, but is that the only option?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

While it is technically possible, unless you've made a special effort in advance to preserve an unlockable baseband, the answer is no, it will only work on SoftBank. (If you don't know what that means, then the answer is definitely no, it will only work in SoftBank.) The hardware is identical, but they are jerks and will refuse to unlock your phone for use on other networks even after you've paid it off.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Someone posted this in the iPhone thread: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

I like how EVERY OTHER CARRIER in Asia outside of Japan let's you use your iPhone as a personal hotspot

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Ganguro King posted:

While it is technically possible, unless you've made a special effort in advance to preserve an unlockable baseband, the answer is no, it will only work on SoftBank. (If you don't know what that means, then the answer is definitely no, it will only work in SoftBank.) The hardware is identical, but they are jerks and will refuse to unlock your phone for use on other networks even after you've paid it off.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Someone posted this in the iPhone thread: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

I like how EVERY OTHER CARRIER in Asia outside of Japan let's you use your iPhone as a personal hotspot

Aw dammit :(

Looks like I'm/my dad is out of luck. Thanks for the info anyway!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

zmcnulty posted:

Where did you get that AU wifi support? I've searched the app store but can't find anything relevant, only info about their Android models.

For signal, I'm really not that impressed with the AU iPhone. Their coverage in Kanazawa isn't that great, I'll be standing in the middle of KZ station and be struggling to load things in, even in the downtown districts my friends with Softbank constantly have better connections. Even the underground rooms have better signal with SB, go figure. It seems pretty good when I go to Tokyo though, I can be in places like Shinjuku and have acceptable signal. Ikebukuro seems like a really bad spot though, everything I go there or pass through on the train, there's a good chance that I'll have a really slow connection despite having full bars.

The Youtube speeds are pretty good, though. My friends do complain how it can take awhile to load on their phones, but it's really fast on mine.

Either way, I can't really recommend the AU phone over the SB one, if they can't get their poo poo together when my contract is up then I might go back to SB (or maybe try Docomo if they get it).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Should have a bookmark in your Safari.
http://www.au.kddi.com/iphone/support/guide/auwifispot.html#jizen

Anyway, to go into more detail. It sort of sucks if you're actually moving around. It will pick up a wifi signal from some random shop then auto-switch to wifi for data. But the iPhone does a really lovely job of realizing when it loses that wifi signal, and appears to have no "hand-off" to 3G. So it just sits there trying to send the data over a wifi signal that doesn't exist anymore (since that shop is now 50m behind you, when you're walking down the street). Only way to unhang it is turn wifi off, then re-initiate the data request via 3G. If you live in an area that has a lot of wifi coverage, I definitely recommend keeping wifi off until you actually sit down at whatever restaurant/cafe/train station.

As for coverage. Seems hit or miss. Sometimes I have full bars when Softbank friends have none. Sometimes the reverse is true. Like at Kandatsu, the thing is basically useless besides music and GPS... except while riding lifts, strangely enough. So the jury is still out.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 10, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you're legitimately going to use tethering, can you enable it on your own or do you need to go to the docomo shop?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tarepanda posted:

If you're legitimately going to use tethering, can you enable it on your own or do you need to go to the docomo shop?

They don't support tethering period. If you legitimately need it and don't want to risk them ripping you a new one you'll have to fork out for a mobile wifi, insofar as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

LimburgLimbo posted:

They don't support tethering period. If you legitimately need it and don't want to risk them ripping you a new one you'll have to fork out for a mobile wifi, insofar as I'm aware.

Yeah, they do support tethering. I ended up going down to ask and they have to enable it on your account first.

• Locked thread