Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I spent $60 and will probably spend another $60 on pay day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I'm really enjoying Master of Orion 1 (apart from the tiny windowed mode) really glad I picked it up!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm really enjoying Master of Orion 1 (apart from the tiny windowed mode) really glad I picked it up!

Scaling is your friend. Normal3x that sucker.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I guess some of the post-Halo gamers aren't used to health scrounging. :)

Also, for people who haven't bought Fallout 1 or 2 yet, get it on GOG. It's way easier to mod than the Steam version. Same with Jagged Alliance 2.

What was the name of that one Fallout 2 mod that fixed a bunch of problems? I can't seem to find it with google.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

doctorfrog posted:

I messed around a little bit with scaling but no luck until I tries Normal3x. It's perfect now, thanks a lot!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Agnostic watermelon posted:

What was the name of that one Fallout 2 mod that fixed a bunch of problems?

Killap?

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I actually recommend TA: Kingdoms over TA

You monster!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Is there any way to make Stonekeep's window bigger? There's no option of that sort in the graphic mode setup.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Has the GOG team figured out that their little DOSBox setup program breaks when you install the game anywhere else but Program Files? It's not a huge deal but it's kind of annoying to have to edit the .conf to mess with graphics settings.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

iastudent posted:

Is there any way to make Stonekeep's window bigger? There's no option of that sort in the graphic mode setup.

It's worth getting to know the dosbox.conf. Dig into the game directory, locate the .conf file that DOSBox is using, and open it (as an Administrator if necessary).

Locate the [render] section and pick a scaler. Save 'n run.

Use this as a reference: http://tinyurl.com/39e4exq

(This assumes that Stonekeep is using DOSBox.)

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
Quick Wing Commander: Privateer question: I never seem able to complete "patrol" missions, be they from the mission computer or from the Mercenaries' Guild (which, I understand, should always pay, unlike the "pubbie missions").

I autopilot to each point in sequence, kill all the bad guys that show up along the way, then autopilot back to base. The mission vanishes from the "missions" tab in the in-game QUINE computer (the one you save/load from), but I never get payment.

I have a level 2 G&S scanner (because I remember reading somewhere that you needed a scanner upgrade to actually complete these missions), too.

Am I actually seriously supposed to manually travel between all the waypoints, without using autopilot? Because gently caress that noise.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is Police Quest: SWAT 2 worth playing, or is it just a poor man's Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm?

I'll always remember the first game for reminding me to slice the pie so I don't get shot, but it's not something I would pay money to experience again.

Edit: Also, can I get some opinions on the Wing Commander and Independence War games from people who are relatively new to those series? I get that Wing Commander is The Greatest Thing, but I have very little experience with the genre.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2011

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is Police Quest: SWAT 2 worth playing, or is it just a poor man's Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm?

It doesn't even deserve to be called the poor man's Jagged Alliance 2. I'll just repost what I said a few months ago:

I posted:

The second SWAT game is, as my good friend elTrut over at the world-renowned GameFAQs user review section puts it in his eloquent overview of the game, a game where "you can choose between the Terrorist (Bad and evil people. People that do terror stuff.) or the SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics, the elite force of the police.)". It's basically a thrilling battle between you and the finer points of police procedure, as you excitingly babysit your entire command, which have the initiative of Terri Schiavo, through thrillingly linear missions that can last as long as ten whole minutes, boldly navigating the cumbersome interface while marveling at the awesomely static camera angle in a fight to have fun in a game where the missions sometimes take less time to actually play than they do to prepare for. I'm going to have to leave the last word to elTrut: "this game just totally Suck, alright? It is BAD, it's the worst stradegy game I've play, so I'd recommend you to get SWAT 3, which is a first person shooter".

Seriously, the game is tedious dogshit of the worst sort, your money would be better spent on Master of Orion 3, because at least there you can just click "auto" over and over again and end up a winner.

EDIT: Also, real policemen can usually manage to walk across a room without banging into a table five times in a row.

uncle wrinkles fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 14, 2011

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Armor-Piercing posted:

I'll always remember the first game for reminding me to slice the pie so I don't get shot, but it's not something I would pay money to experience again.

Edit: Also, can I get some opinions on the Wing Commander and Independence War games from people who are relatively new to those series? I get that Wing Commander is The Greatest Thing, but I have very little experience with the genre.

SWAT 2 is actually really fun from what I remember and not at all just a JA2/SS clone. It's like the other Police Quest games where proper procedure and apprehending the bad guys is far more important than shooting stuff. Plus, it has a full terrorist campaign with it's own unique set of toys and code of conduct.

I played way to much Wing Commander way back when to give anything close to an unbiased opinion, but it is considered The Greatest Thing for a reason. If you have joystick I highly suggest checking them out.

I never played Independence War. Looks neat though.

EDIT: drat! to the poster above. Guess it may just be rose-tinted glasses on my part. I haven't played it in years so keep that in my when considering my opinion.

EDIT 2: I just noticed you said you didn't have much experience with the genre. Seems to me like WC would be a good place to start. A joystick is important though. I remember it being an absolute mess trying to play it with anything else.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 14, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Let's Play of the first couple Police Quests was fantastic. It really seems like what a cop would want a video game to be: a Serious Thing with irreversible traps of procedure that dramatically overstates how hard it is to be a Good Cop.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

Jonny Retro posted:

EDIT: drat! to the poster above. Guess it may just be rose-tinted glasses on my part. I haven't played it in years so keep that in my when considering my opinion.

No need to apologize, opinions do differ :) I think it's different if you actually played the game back in the day - I get the feeling I'd have fun with a re-release of Front Page Sports: Football, even though that game is likely utterly dreadful by modern standards. SWAT 2 just hasn't aged gracefully at all, and because of the impenetrable interface (I am so, so glad the days of icon-only GUIs in games are basically behind us) the police procedure stuff just ends up being tedious minutiae.

Falls into that Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit category of "games that are much more entertaining via a LP than when actually played".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

The Let's Play of the first couple Police Quests was fantastic. It really seems like what a cop would want a video game to be: a Serious Thing with irreversible traps of procedure that dramatically overstates how hard it is to be a Good Cop.

There's a crazy guy in a lake. What do you do? Oh, you hosed up. Now you're stabbed and dead.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Vertigus posted:

There's a crazy guy in a lake. What do you do? Oh, you hosed up. Now you're stabbed and dead.

Making a modern sequel to those games would be really hard, because literally every solution would be to just tazer the dude.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

as my good friend elTrut over at the world-renowned GameFAQs user review section puts it in his eloquent overview of the game
Man, all these years, and I never knew Clue was in reality a worse game than Superman 64.

That'll teach me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dominic White posted:

I know it caught a lot of flak back in the day, but I really quite liked Lands of Lore 2 - it's one of those 'FMV hybrid games done right', like Realms of The Haunting.

Unless LoL2 got a lot better later on I wouldn't even consider it to be as "good" as Stonekeep. Whereas Realms of the Haunting is still great.

And Blade Runner really is "find the scripted point" hunt. Yeah, definitions of adventure games have changed since the Sierra days but all my memories are of a game very light on "game" and very heavy on "clicking on things hoping for something to happen".

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Quick Wing Commander: Privateer question:
Am I actually seriously supposed to manually travel between all the waypoints, without using autopilot? Because gently caress that noise.

Nope, but you do have to manually fly to within 1000m of each point (I think autopilot drops you 12k away or something) before you auto to the next one.

Or something like that. It'll show up as no longer red in your map screen when you've gotten close enough.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are you referencing the Theatrical or any of the director's cuts? The voiceover that the Theatrical had was criminally bad and imposed by the studio.

This might be it. I never saw the original, have they really changed it that much? I mean, the scene with Deckard chasing down the exotic dancer was what I expected most of the movie to be, it was great! And the society they seem to have so painstakingly crafted just for this movie alone seems so horribly unused in what I've seen.

..And then there's the ending, but I did read somewhere that the final cut edition had butchered it, I just didn't know how much?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

This might be it. I never saw the original, have they really changed it that much? I mean, the scene with Deckard chasing down the exotic dancer was what I expected most of the movie to be, it was great! And the society they seem to have so painstakingly crafted just for this movie alone seems so horribly unused in what I've seen.

..And then there's the ending, but I did read somewhere that the final cut edition had butchered it, I just didn't know how much?

The final cut edition fixes pretty much everything except the obvious error in the movie: the fact that the stunt actor playing Darryl Hannah during the fight scene is actually a guy that looks nothing like her. They also "fix" one of the better lines from previous editions by getting rid of any ambiguity to what Roy Batty says (Father/fucker is no longer a weird mix that can be heard either way.

Really, the major changes for the theatrical and the various directors cuts are they remove the voiceover, and they change the ending to be more ambiguous/ not be nearly as happy. Its funny, since in the theatrical version the ending is actually played over unused footage from the Shining. A couple scenes run a little bit longer as well, as well as being far more graphic. The work print is actually pretty interesting since it apparently includes even more scenes but I haven't watched the entire thing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It still doesn't address my distress over how Harrison Ford's got too little time on-screen. His character just feels so unused considering he's the protagonist.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
If I'm interested in trying out Wing Commander, which would be the best one to pick up?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

THE BAR posted:

It still doesn't address my distress over how Harrison Ford's got too little time on-screen. His character just feels so unused considering he's the protagonist.

Blade Runner is one of those movies where you don't really watch it for the typical Hollywood storyline. There's a reason why it failed in the box office.

What Blade Runner does an amazing job at is conveying a setting. It's visually amazing, but it's also not human right? The future society feels cold and devoid of emotion. That's why its hard to connect with. Watching it makes you feel lonely. And that's what made it such a scary future because it lacks the comfort of being social that people enjoy.

So I think it's justified to not enjoy watching the movie. Usually people who enjoy film noir still something to be emotionally invested in. In Blade Runner, it only happens at the very end, when Rutger Hauer gives his monologue.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
RE: Blade Runner talk.

THE BAR - you absolutely need to watch the Final Cut version of the film. It fixes so many subtle yet profoundly important things that it really is like watching a new movie.

Premium Account
Mar 4, 2008
What happens when GoG eventually goes down? Do people expect GoG to be around in 10 years time? 15? ... hell, even 30? I have a big enough backlog of games already (courtesy of Steam) and I doubt I'll get around to playing the GoG games in a very long time.

I just don't see GoG lasting that long. There's only a few timeless classics there (few meaning 20 - 30) but at some point all the people that care for those type of games will have them purchased via the site. Then where does the site go from there? How do they make their money?

Eh, I don't know. I just can't see myself buying these games as I feel like I'm only renting them for a decade or so whereas with Steam it's more of a permanent purchase.

Thoughts?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Premium Account posted:

Thoughts?

The installers are self-contained and don't care whether GOG lives or dies. Hoard them and you'll always have them.

It's Steam that we're hanging on Gaben to stay afloat for. Sure, they've said that their last update before the lights go out removes online authentication, but you can say a lot of things.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I think GoG will last a while, they'll get more recent releases as they get older.

That was worded weird.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oldstench posted:

THE BAR - you absolutely need to watch the Final Cut version of the film. It fixes so many subtle yet profoundly important things that it really is like watching a new movie.

That is the only version I've seen, so it's a given I didn't notice! :)

And I agree with you, r1ngwthszzors, the setting is one of the best I've ever seen in a movie, no question there, but I've always put solid entertainment high on my priority. There's not much solid about the plot or pacing. Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy the idea of the universe and it's premise, but as a film academy graduate I can't just let this thing go. There ARE some fundamental flaws that leaves the viewer at a loss as to what's going on during their first viewing, where I would assume at least SOME kind of bearing would be made to guide the audience.
Yes, I know it's a movie that was made for multiple viewings, it's an art piece, not a oneshot film, but leaving some people without a clue whatsoever about what they just saw is being eccentric just for the sake of it.

I'm sorry, I did not wish to derail the GOG 50% off extravaganza, but it does affect this one game, which... Isn't even on GOG anyway, so I guess it's at a faulty.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Premium Account posted:

What happens when GoG eventually goes down? Do people expect GoG to be around in 10 years time? 15? ... hell, even 30? I have a big enough backlog of games already (courtesy of Steam) and I doubt I'll get around to playing the GoG games in a very long time.

I just don't see GoG lasting that long. There's only a few timeless classics there (few meaning 20 - 30) but at some point all the people that care for those type of games will have them purchased via the site. Then where does the site go from there? How do they make their money?

Eh, I don't know. I just can't see myself buying these games as I feel like I'm only renting them for a decade or so whereas with Steam it's more of a permanent purchase.

Thoughts?

What? Just download your games and back them up. GoG has no DRM. The site can burn and you can still play your purchases (unlike Steam).

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Premium Account posted:

Thoughts?

Lots of good games will become old in the next 10 years. :smug: Also you can keep the installer, that's like, one of their selling points.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Lots of good games will become old in the next 10 years. :smug:

Well this is a really good point. There's still a substantial number of games that were released before digital distribution took off and aren't available elsewhere. There will also always be a continuous stream of games that you will want to get off Gog because they took the time to make sure that your Windows Vista era game works with Windows 8.

Premium Account
Mar 4, 2008
What is this installer all about? I have the GoG downloader (which I assume is what you're talking about), but does this mean I have to always have my games actively installed?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The GOG installers are simply .exe files that unpacks and installs the game for you. I would suggest that you keep every game you buy on your drive somewhere, if you can afford the space. Having the ability to take all the games with you, without having an internet connection is pretty great.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Premium Account posted:

What is this installer all about? I have the GoG downloader (which I assume is what you're talking about), but does this mean I have to always have my games actively installed?

When you download the game you save that games installer to your computer. If GOG ever disappears you can still play whatever games you have installed and if you saved the installer you can still reinstall those games on your own or other computers.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Premium Account posted:

I think they mean the file that you downloaded to install the game. There's nothing to invalidate or otherwise break that installer, so as long as you keep them backed up and safe there's technically nothing keeping you from having/playing that game until you die.

edit: Is there an echo in here?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

This is what they look like by the way.

And that's it, you run it and click install to a specified directory.

Premium Account
Mar 4, 2008
Ah, I think I understand. Take Arcanum for example. I've added it to the GoG downloader and it's taking 1GB of space. So HDD space is required regardless if you have them actively installed or not.

Thanks. I guess I'll purchase some games and leave them on the online GoG shelf for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Premium Account posted:

Ah, I think I understand. Take Arcanum for example. I've added it to the GoG downloader and it's taking 1GB of space. So HDD space is required regardless if you have them actively installed or not.

Thanks. I guess I'll purchase some games and leave them on the online GoG shelf for a bit.

Of course it'll take some space, it's, in essence, the entire CD you're downloading as a single file.