Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The funny thing about what canon and what isn't is that is constantly being written over or just plainly ignored.

Considering personally what happened now is the only efficient and sane thing to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
That reminds me.

Last night the wife watched an episode of Clone Wars and that long-eared Jedi Master kicked it. Didn't he die during the Purge?

The episode lacked tension because you "knew" he was going to make it no matter what happened but SURPRISE.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So, Steam's daily deal for today is Force Unleashed II for 5 bucks. I've heard it's pretty bad - but is it bad enough that it's not even worth 5 bucks? Or is there at least some fun to be had from it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Probably a controversial opinion here, but I enjoyed both Force Unleashed games just fine. Just don't go into them worrying about Star Wars canon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So, Steam's daily deal for today is Force Unleashed II for 5 bucks. I've heard it's pretty bad - but is it bad enough that it's not even worth 5 bucks? Or is there at least some fun to be had from it?

Gameplay wise, they look fun but trying to take anything in it seriously and your head will explode. It is Star Wars on crack cocaine.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gameplay wise, they look fun but trying to take anything in it seriously and your head will explode. It is Star Wars on crack cocaine.

I even had fun with the Wii version of the first one. When I read something from the developer saying how they listened to the complaints about the first when making the second, I got all excited. The first one had some easily identifiable issues that if fixed, could make a classic.

I only played the demo for the second, but between that and the reviews, I wanted to kick that developer in the cock.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

The Force Unleashed games are fun, but stupid. But that was enough for me to enjoy them. Just don't pay attention to the story. It's real dumb. And don't try to figure out how your character is so freakishly powerful, while every other Jedi we've ever met is a child in comparison.

But The Force Unleashed II is short. Very short. So...I'd say 5 bucks sounds pretty good for the game content you get in return.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I bought it :shobon: Got the first one from the Holiday Sale last year and it was fairly entertaining, and $5 to fling around stormtroopers for a few hours sounds good to me!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The PC port of the first one was so loving terrible that I'm not buying or playing the second on principle. Even if it's $5

gently caress people that make lovely ports :mad:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Timothy Zahn posted:

Since many of you have asked about 20th Anniversary editions of Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, here's the latest from Shelly:

It is now probable that next year will *not* see a special edition of DFR. However, she does leave open the possibility that if there's a groundswell of sales on the Heir 20th, it's *possible* that the Higher-Ups at Del Rey will reverse that decision.

I'm certainly not trying to push anyone here (an author pushing people to buy books? Inconceivable!), but merely passing on information.

Posted on his Facebook.

(he and Brandon Sanderson are the only two authors I follow in social media)

Basically, gently caress Del Rey.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I finally caved in and added a hard copy of Heir to my Amazon wish list, so I did my part

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I really want to get the new Heir for the annotations, but I also don't want to remove my decades old copy that's falling to pieces from my bookshelf.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WhyteRyce posted:

The PC port of the first one was so loving terrible that I'm not buying or playing the second on principle. Even if it's $5

gently caress people that make lovely ports :mad:

Isn't that the one that's like 30GB because of all the pre rendered videos?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

computer parts posted:

Isn't that the one that's like 30GB because of all the pre rendered videos?

Probably. It was horrendously huge. I just remember not being able to use my mouse in the main menu. Keyboard control only.

And it ran like rear end

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

youwantsomewang posted:

I always thought there would be too many Keyboard commands to assign to the controller so I never tried. How have you set yours up?

Coming soon: a Tie Fighter/X wing Alliance Controls diagram for 360

You do have to use the keyboard for a couple things (Hyperjumps, docking, reinforcements)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

X-Wing Alliance is on X-Box Arcade?

Or you guys just talking about the controllers?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or you guys just talking about the controllers?

If only Lucasarts gave a poo poo about these great games. I'm just talking about controls

This will pretty much get you through the games (Blue can't be assigned)

It's a bit of a hassle setting each command but otherwise they are plug and play with my 360 controller.

You can press the button and it tells you what it's assigned to, which helps.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Behold, the most effective vagina repellent known to mankind:

(it's a toss up between the shuttle, Hoth brewing Co. stein, or the oscilloscope/power supply/lab bench in the background I guess)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

Behold, the most effective vagina repellent known to mankind:

(it's a toss up between the shuttle, Hoth brewing Co. stein, or the oscilloscope/power supply/lab bench in the background I guess)

Very awesome! :) You should put the little pilot guys in there!

And where does one get a Hoth brewing Co. stein?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Very awesome! :) You should put the little pilot guys in there!

And where does one get a Hoth brewing Co. stein?

Yep, I just did! 4 mini-figs in the cockpit, plus a stormtrooper who I just put at the base of the stand, becuase 5 mini-figs wouldn't fit in the cockpit :(

I guess the Stein was sold at Celebration V; I was a poser and ordered it from ThinkGeek's limited stock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

TFU II is interesting in a trainwreck-y sense. You can see where development just kind of got cut off at certain points. Like how the Dagobah level is barely anything, you basically just walk off your ship, go through two screens and watch a cutscene. Or how there's only something like four unique locations in the entire game and you go back to one of them twice. Its too bad because I thought the gameplay was improved over the original but everything else is crappier.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this? posted:

TFU II is interesting in a trainwreck-y sense. You can see where development just kind of got cut off at certain points. Like how the Dagobah level is barely anything, you basically just walk off your ship, go through two screens and watch a cutscene. Or how there's only something like four unique locations in the entire game and you go back to one of them twice. Its too bad because I thought the gameplay was improved over the original but everything else is crappier.

Didn't LucasArts tell the development team they were going to be let go once the game was done?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

Didn't LucasArts tell the development team they were going to be let go once the game was done?

I'm fairly certain they fired the entire team and announced that they had canceled TFU III before 2 even came out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Good riddance really. They were destroying Star Wars continuity at an almost Lucas like pace.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously? Because anyone's given a poo poo about Star Wars continuity since the mid-eighties?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Wasn't it all Lucas sanctioned though?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Carnaticum posted:

Wasn't it all Lucas sanctioned though?

You say it as if that makes it better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It angers me the most that Force Unleashed has lined the pockets of a certain chubby cheeked gently caress that I am sure tore away the of last good feelings we all had for LucasArts.

gently caress you Haden Blackman, you ignorant rear end.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good riddance really. They were destroying Star Wars continuity at an almost Lucas like pace.

They've besmirched and lessened the world of Ewok Jedi and caff :qq:

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They've besmirched and lessened the world of Ewok Jedi and caff :qq:

People actually get butt-hurt over there being a coffee analog in Star Wars?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's sad too. TFUII (I never cared to play either of them) has you coming back in a clone body. But unlike the clonetroopers Starkiller is actually resurrected by the cloning process.

"Ok, cool" I thought "TFU tried to bring together all the Alliance Founders and have them challenge the Emperor and put a little bow on some continuity."

"Maybe in this one the Emperor finds out about Vader's experiment and it ends with Palpatine discovering the cloning tech from Dark Empire. Another nice bow"

Nope, the Emperor is not even in the sequel. It's just a lovely and shameless God of War clone with no story.

What the gently caress Lucasarts? You used to be the industry gold standard...under the same loving guy...

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

McDowell posted:

What the gently caress Lucasarts? You used to be the industry gold standard...under the same loving guy...

It's like at some point in the late 90s/early 00s, LucasArts made a concerted effort to focus more on quantity than quality. Lucas learned from his experience with Empire that making a quality product costs more than making a piece of poo poo, and there are enough fanboys out there to buy as much poo poo as he can slap the name "Star Wars" on.

It's sad, but not surprising.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe I would have felt differently if I'd paid full price for them...in fact, yeah, I definitely would have felt pretty pissed if I'd paid somewhere around $60 per game...but for games I got in bargain bins for less than $20, the Force Unleashed games weren't all that bad. Pretty short and horrible vis-a-vis Star Wars extended universe continuity (which I don't really give a poo poo about, anyways), but a nice little Jedi power fantasy. I think they're something worth picking up on the cheap, playing through once, and then trading in for credit towards something better.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just can't recommend X Wing Alliance enough, there's mods out there to give it modern visuals.

It's a great Star Wars game if you like pew-pew spaceships and don't care about Jedifest lightsaberthon

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Chairman Capone posted:

The games are fun well hell. You basically play a force demi god. Enjoy being a super powered rear end hole and make strings of storm troopers grab onto each other till you make one huge chain then toss em all into a force field. Ignore the cannon and just have fun, for 5 dollars it would be silly not to buy it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

arioch posted:

Posted on his Facebook.

(he and Brandon Sanderson are the only two authors I follow in social media)

Basically, gently caress Del Rey.

Ugh, gently caress them. They had a real poo poo marketing campaign for this, what did they honestly expect?

The SE of Heir to the Empire is excellent if you haven't bought it, I encourage everyone to buy it.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

McDowell posted:

I just can't recommend X Wing Alliance enough, there's mods out there to give it modern visuals.

It's a great Star Wars game if you like pew-pew spaceships and don't care about Jedifest lightsaberthon

I loved this game when it came out, but my friend and I were disappointed in the lack of co-op. It was advertised right up until release as having the option to have multiple players flying in the same ship, with one piloting and the others gunning.

We wanted to get 3 of us whizzing around in the Falcon blasting away, but it wasn't implemented.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I loved this game when it came out, but my friend and I were disappointed in the lack of co-op. It was advertised right up until release as having the option to have multiple players flying in the same ship, with one piloting and the others gunning.

We wanted to get 3 of us whizzing around in the Falcon blasting away, but it wasn't implemented.

I remember doing this...maybe not in sotry missions. But I remember making custom maps at lan parties and doing stupid things like adding 13 SSD's and just flying around them...Was that X wing alliance or one of the other ones. Cause that was badass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McDowell posted:

It's sad too. TFUII (I never cared to play either of them) has you coming back in a clone body. But unlike the clonetroopers Starkiller is actually resurrected by the cloning process.

The guy's name is Starkiller? Was this only a nod to the original Star Wars scripts or did he have something to do with Luke as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lobok posted:

The guy's name is Starkiller? Was this only a nod to the original Star Wars scripts or did he have something to do with Luke as well?

He did start the Rebel Alliance so I guess there's that.