Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

House of Chains does the same thing. You have no loving clue who Karsa Orlong is for a large part of the book. Maybe two thirds through do you realize he's Toblakai from Deadhouse Gates and the entire book is just to further expound upon how awesome Conan the Barbarian is.

Incidentally, Midnight Tides and House of Chains are my favourite Malazans. Memories of Ice is also pretty awesome because Gruntle.

Gruntle in the house that was packed with so many corpses it bulged outward was badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm pretty sure all this series needs is an editor who refuses to accept that an entire book full of treading water and postponing the siege of Winterfell for five years is a good idea. Somebodys gotta get that fat poo poo on task.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

True, except that Midnight Tides ends up rocking. The book thats begins the sucking is actually the book in the same setting in the first one (Toll The Hounds blows). Unless you thought the first one was a shitheap, then that one begins the sucking.

That's kind of the point, the Malazan example works because he stops the action, focuses on a new set of characters and takes the time to develop them so that you identify with them. These last two Gurm books might have been better if he divided them by geographic proximity rather than however he did it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

NovemberMike posted:

That's kind of the point, the Malazan example works because he stops the action, focuses on a new set of characters and takes the time to develop them so that you identify with them. These last two Gurm books might have been better if he divided them by geographic proximity rather than however he did it.

Actually I think the theory, at least in AFFC, was that he was dividing them by geographic proximity.

It fell apart by the time ADWD came around, but welp.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

These last two Gurm books might have been better if he divided them by geographic proximity rather than however he did it.

That is what he did. He just also included stuff from the South once the timeline in Dance had gone past that of Feast.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So he didn't split by geography at all, you're saying.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I have lots of experience having sex with a redhead and I can tell you that shadow babies do not come out of their vagina. Real babys do. I was as shocked as you are right now.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Between this and the ruby thing i don't know what to believe any more, next you all are going to tell me that lemoncakes do not heal the mental scars of rape or that Theon was castrated.

Yes, gelding chat is back!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
*~*~ =^_^= My Daario =^_^= ~*~*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I should really go back and figure out just how many chapters were wasted pining for Daario. It wasn't even that bad in a vacuum, but it felt like it dragged out way too long for what we all knew it was-- a young and somewhat inexperienced/naive girl being led around the nose by a dashing roguish-type. Anyone who isn't a teenage girl could see that, I think.

Considering how GRRM will loving rush through the whole "kidnap Myrcella plot" in 1-2 chapters, which is a far more exciting story and could actually get us invested in Dornish wunderkinds like Darkstar, it strikes me as something I should quantify.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I always got the impression Daario longed for Dany just as much as she did for him; he was just more macho and less sappy about it, which makes sense since he isn't a teenage girl like she is.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

I always got the impression Daario longed for Dany just as much as she did for him; he was just more macho and less sappy about it, which makes sense since he isn't a teenage girl like she is.

It just makes him more of a pedophile.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I always got the impression that impression that any feelings Daario had to Dany were muddled in with the fact that, well... he gets to bone a hot nubile queen and gain considerable influence over a major city in his part of the world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think he gives two shits about her beyond that.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
It doesn't matter if he gives two shits about her if the reader can't be made to give a single poo poo about either of them.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

I don't think he gives two shits about her beyond that.

I think he wants to be near Dany, because that would mean he'd be close to his true love: ~*Belwas*~

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

Fog Tripper posted:

I think he wants to be near Dany, because that would mean he'd be close to his true love: ~*Belwas*~

Which is sad for him, as Strong Belwas has eyes only for ~~HoNeYeD LoCuStS~~. The target of the poisoning, carried out by Daario, was the locusts.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So sad ~daario~'s plague corpse was thrown over the walls. Maybe he and Strong Belwas will be together and hang out with Ned in the afterlife.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

ZearothK posted:

So sad ~daario~'s plague corpse was thrown over the walls. Maybe he and Strong Belwas will be together and hang out with Ned in the afterlife.

Stop this heretical talk, Daario now runs the Yunkish camp, and Belwas survived.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

basx posted:

It doesn't matter if he gives two shits about her if the reader can't be made to give a single poo poo about either of them.

It's okay, Dany gives more than enough shits for Daario, and the reader.

Foul, disgusting shits spattered out upon the Dothraki sea.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

It just makes him more of a pedophile.

Can we go ahead and just sort of dive into cultural relativism vis-a-vis fantasy worlds

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Hi Im a boy and im re-reading these books, fat author man likes to explain the same thing many times even from the same POV it was mentioned in quite some time ago okay im sad bye.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Can we go ahead and just sort of dive into cultural relativism vis-a-vis fantasy worlds

Nah, don't really want to get into Sansa/Sandor right now

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah Man posted:

I'm just saying there's no reason to say nasty things in the first place.

I feel that I said enough good things to people about this series in the first decade of its existence.

As Penance for each soul I have dragged into this horrible never ending cock tease series, I must say 1000 Hail Fatties.

PS: He is fat.

SteepleJack posted:

Just be optimistic. He's starting Winds of Winter in a month.

Serious?

SteepleJack posted:

EDIT: PS he owes you nothing. It's your problem and yours alone if you don't enjoy what he's putting out.

Wrong. He owes me some motherfucking books.

SteepleJack posted:

I'm outta here, though. This whole thread doesn't seem constructive.

oh, you'll be back. They always come back.

batomys posted:

Thanks for these.

crimson and clover
Hodor hodor hodor

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Anyone done a book-by-book word count on "Hodor?" Just curious.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Noted Literally posted:

Which is sad for him, as Strong Belwas has eyes only for ~~HoNeYeD LoCuStS~~. The target of the poisoning, carried out by Daario, was the locusts.

You know nothing, Noted Literally.
"~~HoNeYeD LoCuSt~~" = ~~Daario's~~ penis.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
How did I miss the Hungry Caterpillar? Its amazing.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I'm pretty sure all this series needs is an editor who refuses to accept that an entire book full of treading water and postponing the siege of Winterfell for five years is a good idea. Somebodys gotta get that fat poo poo on task.

Feast and Dance did feel less like cohesive books and more like a collection of serialized chapters. I hope he finds writing WoW more fun than the last two, even he seems to think that the last two books covered a part of the story that wasn't very eventful.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 16, 2011

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I finally decided I was going to make it all the way through these stupid books and I've made it farther than ever before this time, but A Dance With Dragons might do me in. A whole book full of characters I either hate or have been made stupid - yippie!

Why does it take so loving long for him to get to the drat point?

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
I liked Barristan I dunno.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I haven't gotten that far, just slogging my way through another Dany chapter after Tyrion was so unpleasant as to be out of character and Jon was dull. Are there more interesting people coming up?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

side_burned posted:

Feast and Dance did feel less like cohesive books and more like a collection of serialized chapters. I hope he finds writing WoW more fun than the last two, even he seems to think that the last two books covered a part of the story that wasn't very eventful.

Killing the 5-year gap was probably the worst thing that could have been done, in terms of poo poo happening. Ugh.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

neongrey posted:

in terms of poo poo happening. Ugh.

I see what you did there.
:golfclap:

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Shhhhhit berrrrieessss, poo poo berries baby
Shhhhhit berrrrriiesssss, can you come out toooonight...

Still stuck in my drat head

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Niccy Bones posted:

I liked Barristan I dunno.

I liked him too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yo Sandor Clegane is still alive, right

I'm pretty sure GRRM was careful to have the island wizard priest say that The Hound had "moved on" or something vague

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It actually is to GRRM's credit that the monk on the island stuck out immediately and thoroughly to me as the Hound.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Sophia posted:

I haven't gotten that far, just slogging my way through another Dany chapter after Tyrion was so unpleasant as to be out of character and Jon was dull. Are there more interesting people coming up?

Well, Daario has a blue moustache, Jon Connington might be gay, umm... Victarion is cool in this book?

I don't even remember who is in the beginning anymore.

Edit: Theons chapters are pretty good.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Yo Sandor Clegane is still alive, right

I'm pretty sure GRRM was careful to have the island wizard priest say that The Hound had "moved on" or something vague

He said something like "the hound died"

and then a guy matching his exact physical description is pointed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

I don't even remember who is in the beginning anymore.

A wildling shapeshifter guy who sees the others and pretty much nothing else.

Pretty weak!