Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Flying AMC is a nightmare, enjoy that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
This is a pretty dumb question and may not even be true in reality but:

In BF3, the dog tag for the 2nd Lt rank is a single gold bar while the 1st Lt is a single silver bar.

Why is the 2nd Lt. gold and the 1st Lt silver? Isn't gold "better" then silver?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

OGS-Remix posted:

In BF3, the dog tag for the 2nd Lt rank is a single gold bar while the 1st Lt is a single silver bar.

Gold, being more malleable than silver, is easier to hammer into a sheet thin & soft enough for a senior NCO to wipe his rear end.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

OGS-Remix posted:

It is true in reality.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

Rrail posted:

So how do you *do* it, do you just like, show up and say "Fly me somewhere"?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nillerz posted:

They have to be going where you want to already, and have room. That's why it's called Space Available.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OGS-Remix posted:

The partial answer is that the rank insignia we all know and love were gradually phased into use over about 150 years. 2Lts didn't use gold bars until WWI. Capt and 1Lt rank were both gold at one point, and 2Lts had nothing except occasionally different colored trim on a uniform item (hat, etc). Rank insignia came into use one at a time, generally with years between additions or changes.

Edit: It probably also had something to do with the fact that higher ranks got insignia first, and silver was cheaper than gold so they started there and moved down.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

Casimir Radon posted:

They have to be going where you want to already, and have room. That's why it's called Space Available.

How do you get intel on flights?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Nillerz posted:

How do you get intel on flights?

Was the link I posted earlier no good, or did you miss it?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

No poo poo. The one time I've flown "space-a" was because I work with a C-17 pilot who happens to be from my hometown and he was flying a jet back there for an airshow...even with this all but assured space-a travel (as in, "Hey, I'm flying a jet back home on this day at this time, and I'm coming back on this day at this time, you should come with me") our itinerary changed three times in 24 hours and we left 4 hours late.

That said,

Nillerz posted:

the process is to

1) be on leave (this is absolutely required, your leave paperwork is the first thing they will ask for when you go to check in)

2) find an AMC base...theoretically any AFB will work, since they all have some sort of passenger terminal presence, but your chances for space-A flights go up exponentially if you're flying out of an AMC base, and they go up even more if it's one of the AMC hubs (Travis, McGuire, places like that). Your best bet for catching a flight to Japan is gonna be a West Coast AMC base, so either Travis or McChord

3a) find the number for whatever base's passenger terminal and call; you should be able to find a number online for that specific pax terminal's hotline that lines out the space-a travel they are projecting for the next 24, 48, and 72 hours. The link that Godholio posted on the last page has a list of the numbers for the pax terminals and the hotlines at all the major AMC bases.

3b) show up to the pax terminal with your leave paperwork and IDs for people wanting to travel and sign in for space-a. At this point the dude behind the counter will tell you what they are currently projecting, and tell you when you need to be there to make the flight that's going where you want to go; he will also give you the number and tell you to call frequently to ensure the flight's show/departure times haven't changed (they will). Alternatively, you can combine 3a and 3b into one step and find out what flights are available when you go to check in for space-a, but remember that you are required to be on leave when you check in, so if you want to husband your leave days you can call ahead and find out when the flight is leaving so you don't have to blow leave sitting around your home waiting for the next flight.

4) show up at the appointed time, check in for your flight, wait around because the flight has been delayed (or it got moved up and you missed it, or the flight is on time but you got bumped), finally go through "security" and take a bus out to the aircraft, at which point you will probably be delayed further for them to change something out payload wise, or because the aircraft breaks, or one of a gajillion other things happens, finally take-off (bring earplugs and a jacket) and land, at which point if you are trying to connect you jump back a step and try to find out what flights are available and see how long you are going to have to wait for the next flight out to get where you are going.

If you are going space-a point to point it isn't terrible, particularly if both points have regular flights to/from where you are trying to get to...so if you are trying to go to Japan, you ideally want to start at Travis, McGuire, or Elmendorf and hop a direct flight into whatever part of Japan you want to visit (Yokota, Misawa, etc.) It's when you start throwing connections into it that you can get hosed and be stranded somewhere for a while. Space-a isn't terrible if you a) are close enough to travel direct out of an AMC hub, b) have EXTREMELY flexible travel dates and plans, c) don't mind being stranded somewhere for up to several days at a time while you are trying to and from your intended destination, and d) (a corollary of c) have enough leave to burn waiting around for flights to try and get where you are going.

There's a reason you see so many retirees flying space-a.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 8, 2011

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

As a warning, these retirees have stories. Which they will want to share with you. At great length.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Alright, so I would need to get the number for the PAX terminal nearest to me (I live near Rochester), and according to what you're saying, since I'm east coast, I'll probably have to do a flight to a west-coast base first. This multiplies the probability of issues.

I am in the National Guard, so I don't have to worry about leave-time, but if I get stuck in western US, are there base amenities or do I have to get a hotel?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Nillerz posted:

Alright, so I would need to get the number for the PAX terminal nearest to me (I live near Rochester), and according to what you're saying, since I'm east coast, I'll probably have to do a flight to a west-coast base first. This multiplies the probability of issues.

I am in the National Guard, so I don't have to worry about leave-time, but if I get stuck in western US, are there base amenities or do I have to get a hotel?

Guard/reserve can only do CONUS, I think. You can stay on bases if they have room, but with no orders they can just deny you if they have no room (rather than give you non-a slips). McGuire is your closest if you're in NY.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

poo poo, loving New Jersey? I hate New Jersey...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

revenance posted:

Guard/reserve can only do CONUS, I think.

This is almost correct...Guard/reserve can fly OCONUS, but it has to be to/from a U.S. territory...so Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. If it doesn't belong to the U.S., you can't go there.

So Japan would be a no go.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nillerz posted:

poo poo, loving New Jersey? I hate New Jersey...

It's not that bad. It's the state that brough you me and...I think smoke crack.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

gleep glop posted:

It's not that bad. It's the state that brough you me and...I think smoke crack.

NJ got me my GED, but I'm from NYC.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Quick question, I'm in DEP but have more important poo poo to be doing with my last month than PTing with a bunch of people who can't even pass the APFT and sitting in class going over poo poo that I have to do on that FSTS training site anyway. Is there anything my recruiter can do to my contract if he gets pissed off? I've read about people not even showing up to a single thing until they ship, so I should be good right?

Gooble Gobble fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 9, 2014

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Gordian posted:

Quick question, I'm in DEP but have more important poo poo to be doing with my last month than PTing with a bunch of people who can't even pass the APFT and sitting in class going over poo poo that I have to do on that FSTS training site anyway (even though I'm E-3 and can't get more rank). Is there anything my recruiter can do to my contract if he gets pissed off? I've read about people not even showing up to a single thing until they ship, so I should be good right?

I was in DEP for 6 months and I didn't show up to anything like that. My recruiter asked that I call once a week to make sure I'm not dead, and come in whenever to show my face whenever I had time. I would give your recruiter the courtesy of telling him that you can't make it, and you'll keep in regular contact with him. Accountability for your people is a big deal in the military, and from what I got from my recruiter he is somewhat responsible for you until you ship. I don't actually think there is anything they can do, but I'm not the one to answer that.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Gordian posted:

Quick question, I'm in DEP but have more important poo poo to be doing with my last month than PTing with a bunch of people who can't even pass the APFT and sitting in class going over poo poo that I have to do on that FSTS training site anyway (even though I'm E-3 and can't get more rank). Is there anything my recruiter can do to my contract if he gets pissed off? I've read about people not even showing up to a single thing until they ship, so I should be good right?

You'll get plenty of that for the next several years. Give your recruiter a courtesy call and let him know that you have personal obligations to fulfill before you ship or whatever. Enjoy life while you are at liberty to do so.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Gordian posted:

DEP for 6 months, shook off most of their BS, showed up a month before I shipped and apologized for getting my phone cut off.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Gordian posted:

DEP

Pretty much echoing what others have said re: courtesy call to check in.

Hell, I was two states away from mine for nearly three months before I shipped. All that your recruiter needs to know is that you're alive and not imprisoned. If your recruiter is a shitbag like most, it'll most likely just give you a go on your future soldier checklist without bothering to ask if you've glanced over any of it.

That being said, don't do anything too stupid between now and your final MEPS date and you'll be fine.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

GreenMeat posted:

Gold, being more malleable than silver, is easier to hammer into a sheet thin & soft enough for a senior NCO to wipe his rear end.

Just had to quote this because it owned. :tipshat:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Dumb dramabomb questions:

Say a (US) soldier is overseas and he (supposedly) finds out his wife is seeing someone else.

Q1: She may have told the guy she is having an affair with that she can't leave her soldier husband because he will automatically get custody of the children. This is bullshit, right?

Q2: If they are moving back to the place where the US army has a big old base, with a plan to have this dumbass guy get a job/apartment nearby, what is the likelihood he is going to end up sooner or later getting his rear end horribly kicked?

Q3: If your wife/husband was cheating would you want to know? If so, how would it even be possible to let you know?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Why are you loving around with some dudes wife man?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
She's probably enough of a piece of work that there are other reasons the husband will get custody.

The only answer that matters is that the dude is a complete douchebag anyway and deserves to get his rear end kicked. Start stocking up on icepacks.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

IrvingWashington posted:

Say a (US) soldier is overseas and he (supposedly) finds out his wife is seeing someone else.

Q1: She may have told the guy she is having an affair with that she can't leave her soldier husband because he will automatically get custody of the children. This is bullshit, right?

Q2: If they are moving back to the place where the US army has a big old base, with a plan to have this dumbass guy get a job/apartment nearby, what is the likelihood he is going to end up sooner or later getting his rear end horribly kicked?

Q3: If your wife/husband was cheating would you want to know? If so, how would it even be possible to let you know?

http://www.myspace.com/sgtdunson/music/songs/i-m-a-kill-jody-73940910

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

IrvingWashington posted:

Hey!

gently caress you.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

IrvingWashington posted:

No one here is going to help you gently caress a dude's wife.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

IrvingWashington posted:

Ask this in the Coast Guard thread. They'll know what's up.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
If I wanted to start to learn a language before deploying to Afghanistan, am I going to be better off learning Dari or Pashto?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

IrvingWashington posted:

Banging a dudes wife while he is half the world away is about as low as you can get. :frogout:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IrvingWashington posted:

:lol: Note to other people reading this thread, don't do this. If you join the military you will see why soon enough.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEUSFORORUM posted:

If I wanted to start to learn a language before deploying to Afghanistan, am I going to be better off learning Dari or Pashto?

Kind of a crapshoot depending on where your unit's going. I'd have to say the odds favor Dari, and it's easier than Pashto.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

DEUSFORORUM posted:

What branch? If you're a Marine you should learn Pashto, because the odds are against you going much further north than Helmand province. If you're Army I have no idea where you all go in Afghanistan-- Dari would probably get your further.

Also, unless you're some kind of language Rain Man, you're not going to get very far teaching yourself either of those languages. However, here's something you CAN do that will get you 1000% further than anyone else in your unit-- just memorize a poo poo-load of words. gently caress grammar. I spoke Pashto better than anyone else in my unit while we were embedded with the Afghan police because I spent a ton of time memorizing words I thought might be useful.

http://fieldsupport.dliflc.edu/downloads.aspx

Go to the Language Survival Kit (PDF/Audio). It will give you massive lists of words with individual audio files, so you can make a huge playlist, put it on random, and quiz yourself while driving/running/wacking off.

I probably only knew about 10 basic verbs, but I had tons of words I could mix and match with. You obviously come off sounding crazy to native speakers, but they will seriously respect the effort and, most importantly, be able to understand you somewhat.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Godholio posted:

She's probably enough of a piece of work that there are other reasons the husband will get custody.

The only answer that matters is that the dude is a complete douchebag anyway and deserves to get his rear end kicked. Start stocking up on icepacks.

I am happy for him to get his rear end kicked. We've been helping his wife come to terms with finding out her husband is a piece of poo poo.

I don't think he would come here looking for icepacks - even our kids made it plain they think he is scum :3:

e: well poo poo, apparently he really is on his way to fort hood. Be sure to greet him friendly-like.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 16, 2011

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

IrvingWashington posted:

I am happy for him to get his rear end kicked. We've been helping his wife come to terms with finding out her husband is a piece of poo poo.

I don't think he would come here looking for icepacks - even our kids made it plain they think he is scum :3:

e: well poo poo, apparently he really is on his way to fort hood. Be sure to greet him friendly-like.

He meant Jody is going to get his rear end whooped.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So wait, is Irving the deployed soldier? Or is he Jody?

What is going on.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
He is definitely Jody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

So wait, is Irving the deployed soldier? Or is he Jody?

What is going on.

Pretty sure he's Jody.

• Locked thread