Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Then what the gently caress was that last post?

E: Can an officer make me a flow chart to follow this? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

IrvingWashington posted:

I am happy for him to get his rear end kicked. We've been helping his wife come to terms with finding out her husband is a piece of poo poo.

I don't think he would come here looking for icepacks - even our kids made it plain they think he is scum :3:

e: well poo poo, apparently he really is on his way to fort hood. Be sure to greet him friendly-like.

Are you honestly expecting us to side with you? And now you're brainwashing kids?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I hope he beats him to an inch of his life. gently caress Jody.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Vasudus posted:

I hope he beats him to an inch of his life. gently caress Jody.

Can't second this enough.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wait, so "our kids" means Jody is taking his kids too?

Dude, you are going to loving die.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Why are we capitalizing jody?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Smoke Crack posted:

Why are we capitalizing jody?

It is an actual name. I have an aunt named Jody. Became very funny after I joined the army. Also autocorrect capitalizes it.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003

GreenMeat posted:

Kind of a crapshoot depending on where your unit's going. I'd have to say the odds favor Dari, and it's easier than Pashto.

It is looking like RC-South.

sharkbomb posted:

What branch? If you're a Marine you should learn Pashto, because the odds are against you going much further north than Helmand province. If you're Army I have no idea where you all go in Afghanistan-- Dari would probably get your further.

Also, unless you're some kind of language Rain Man, you're not going to get very far teaching yourself either of those languages. However, here's something you CAN do that will get you 1000% further than anyone else in your unit-- just memorize a poo poo-load of words. gently caress grammar. I spoke Pashto better than anyone else in my unit while we were embedded with the Afghan police because I spent a ton of time memorizing words I thought might be useful.

http://fieldsupport.dliflc.edu/downloads.aspx

Go to the Language Survival Kit (PDF/Audio). It will give you massive lists of words with individual audio files, so you can make a huge playlist, put it on random, and quiz yourself while driving/running/wacking off.

I probably only knew about 10 basic verbs, but I had tons of words I could mix and match with. You obviously come off sounding crazy to native speakers, but they will seriously respect the effort and, most importantly, be able to understand you somewhat.

I am Army. I am trying to get enough of a background so that I can get my unit to let me go to language training. I am planning to use the DLI materials as a starting point for either language.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEUSFORORUM posted:

It is looking like RC-South.

I am Army. I am trying to get enough of a background so that I can get my unit to let me go to language training. I am planning to use the DLI materials as a starting point for either language.

Head start 2 materials are available at AKO now under self service > my training

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oh jesus.

1. There is a married couple who are friends with us. The guy has been having an affair with an army wife and he just left to go be her lover or some retarded poo poo like that right next to an army base

2. There is a married couple who live in Texas. The husband is serving overseas. The wife is having an affair with the husband from family #1.

3. There is me, my wife and my kids. We are just watching this poo poo blow up around us, being nice to the wife who just got left, and hating the guy who ran off to gently caress an army wife. When I said 'our kids' I meant that even our kids think the husband from family #1 is a shitheel.

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer.

I asked what I asked because

1. I figured the stuff about custody was bullshit, but I figured someone who is brave enough to carry guns around for a living would know better than me.

2. I also figured it was a supremely bad idea for this guy to go to Fort Hood and environs, but given that I am happy for him to get a savage beating for a number of reasons (walked out on his wife and kid while blaming her for everything, got his 7 year old son to tell his soon-to-be-ex-wife he's moving to TX because he's too spineless to do it himself are two good examples) I figured it would be nice to hear "yes, he will get horribly beaten if not killed."

3. I last asked if you would want to know, and if there was some way I could get in touch with the soldier who is being cheated on. All I have for this guy is a facebook page he hasn't done anything with in about a year. I know I would want to know for sure what was going on, but is that the kind of thing that you would want to know if you were overseas? I feel loving awful for this guy, and while I'm obviously mostly dealing with looking after the broken family who are friends with us, I feel like if I could do something to help this soldier then I should.

TL;DR: I am not loving an army wife. A guy I know left his wife to do just that, how can I help gently caress him over? Also, yes, gently caress Jody.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 17, 2011

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Clearly all responsibility for a cheating situation is on the man, as women are not only property of their husbands, but are incapable of making or taking responsibility for their own decisions.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Cerekk posted:

Clearly all responsibility for a cheating situation is on the man, as women are not only property of their husbands, but are incapable of making or taking responsibility for their own decisions.

I was going to go into all kinds of detail about how nuts you would have to be to extrapolate this from everything, but you're kind of scary.

Yes they are both to blame, great job, you're the next King Solomon. The guy walked out on two people I care about, and nobody forced him to do it, so most of my hate is going to be directed toward him rather than someone I know next-to-nothing about.

v:shobon:v

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't mean for this to come across like an rear end in a top hat, but honestly it's probably just best to mind your own business. There really is no reason to invite this kind of drama into your life and or household.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't mean for this to come across like an rear end in a top hat, but honestly it's probably just best to mind your own business. There really is no reason to invite this kind of drama into your life and or household.

Did the same thing while some 3rd ID wife was messing around with people I knew, up through when she collected her husband's SGLI following a fatal IED. Chick had spent 50K, including a Hawaii trip not soon after. Totally hosed but the hell if I'm getting involved in that drama bomb.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're an rear end in a top hat for saying that. It sounds pretty likely this guy is going to get his rear end handed to him, so that's good, and yeah, we have enough drama here dealing with the fallout. My primary concern right now is for the boy whose dad just left and whose mom is pretty much falling apart. And posting about it on the Internet, of course.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Get him to the recruiter when he turns 18 he is a good candidate already

Scottish_Loser
Aug 3, 2007
3/4 Scottish 1/4 Loser(..errr Swedish)
Hey I messed up with logging on to fill out my SF86 form. Can my recruiter just send me new login info, or did I just gently caress myself over?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Scottish_Loser posted:

Hey I messed up with logging on to fill out my SF86 form. Can my recruiter just send me new login info, or did I just gently caress myself over?

I showed up for my indoc physical not wearing underwear. Recruiters can fix anything.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I think I've read in this thread before about using deployment orders or similar to break contracts with AT&T and whatnot without paying penalties. I'm in the Navy's DEP program, scheduled to ship to boot camp on May 15th. Can I sign a 1 year lease then break it without penalties using this sort of strategy?

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

Scottish_Loser posted:

They can send new log in information. Be sure to tell them ASAP. If you go beyond the 'grace' period - I think it is 30 days, the recruiter has to open up a new request. Doable but a pain in the rear end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Harmburger posted:

I think I've read in this thread before about using deployment orders or similar to break contracts with AT&T and whatnot without paying penalties. I'm in the Navy's DEP program, scheduled to ship to boot camp on May 15th. Can I sign a 1 year lease then break it without penalties using this sort of strategy?

If you sign the contract after you receive the orders, they may deny it. That said, I signed a 2-yr contract then was told by my commander (incorrectly!) that I was required to have a local number for recall purposes. Since at the time Verizon didn't have any local numbers, I broke the contract and kept my awesome new RAZR. Signed up with AT&T and got another RAZR. Sold the first one in SA Mart, I think.

Edit: Try not to be a dick and gently caress with companies that make this stuff far less painful than it could be.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

If the date on the orders is earlier than the date you signed the lease, then they don't have to let you out of the lease. They may or may not actually read the date on the orders though.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I re-upped under the BEAR program on the 1st of Oct in Iraq and the nearest class date I was given was January 2013 (for 35F, already have the clearance) and is there a goddamn chance in hell I'll get a date any sooner?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I re-upped under the BEAR program on the 1st of Oct in Iraq and the nearest class date I was given was January 2013 (for 35F, already have the clearance) and is there a goddamn chance in hell I'll get a date any sooner?

I'll try to check next week, after leave. PM me a reminder; I've been out of the office since the 19th and I know I'm gonna be slammed when I go back to the office on the 3rd. I'll at least get you some good POCs so you can find out.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Which brand of boots do you guys prefer the most for comfort and durability?

Also, are there any good online stores that give a good discount for Active duty enlisted?

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2011

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

There is a boot thread somewhere, but I wear these from New Balance:

http://www.uspatriottactical.com/otb-8-desertlite-boot.html

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I took these to hell and back:
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/t8tacticaljunglebootgarmont.aspx
If they fit right, they're the best. I like my Oakleys too.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I second the OTB boots. I have a used but serviceable pair in size 7.5EE if you want to try them. I had to size up to 8EE after wearing the 7.5s for a month. :q:

I will say though that at least for me, they're (OTBs) very lacking in ankle support. Still though, the OTBs are rugged as gently caress still and probably the lightest desert boot on the market.

While we're at it, I need to find a good pair of boots that have excellent ankle support. Think I could get away with a pair of Lowa Desert Elites with their toecap? They look a lot less retarded then some of the abortions I've seen people wearing on their feet. Apparently they have a large military discount which makes their $300 retail price not so bad.

As far as stores, US Patriot or whatever has some good coupons, I bought the second pair of OTBs for around $120 shipped? I think I paid $150 at their retail store for the first pair.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 31, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DoktorLoken posted:

7.5EE

You have choad feet.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is why OTBs rock, my shoes/boots have Superfeet blue/green respectively so in reality they're even lighter if you use the crappy insoles:

That's right, the boot only weights 100g more than an ASICs GT-21xx running shoe. Yes, that is a badass Weight Watchers food scale next to my espresso machine.

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
I’m also in the market for some boots but I’m only going to use them for PT on my own so I was looking for something that can take a good beating. My big concern is how they size. I’m a lady so I’m assuming that ordering a 7.5 of the OTBs or T8s will probably not fit my dainty feet very well. Is there a good metric for how to covert sizes?

Sorry if this seems silly, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I drop $100+ on some boots.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

OTBs fit incredibly accurately to New Balance athletic shoes.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Since it's bootchat ITT, are Asolos really as good as everyone says? Looking at the Fugitive GTX.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are you in Afghanistan yet?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Rrail posted:

Are you in Afghanistan yet?

Couple weeks. Headed out to the middle of nowhere. I changed companies.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yah I remember all the shenanigans with your LOA. It's ok, I think about 80% of the expats outside of my company are here illegally at this point, without valid visas.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 28, 2012

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Well, I'm a civilian, and my company is paying for it. Might as well get the best, right?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

iceslice posted:

I took these to hell and back:
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/t8tacticaljunglebootgarmont.aspx
If they fit right, they're the best. I like my Oakleys too.

I love my T8s. I'm a rebel so I wear the coyote tan ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I hate move.mil

Everything is so cryptic and unknown about what the movers will/ won't do.

Last time they unpacked my stuff, apparently they won't put your dishes and everything were you want, they'll just unpack everything in the room it's supposed to go in and leave it at that, taking the packing material with them.

Well this time when movers were packing my stuff, I asked them and they said that when the movers come to deliver my HHG, just have them leave everything in the boxes, then I can unpack everything myself an schedule a one-time debris pickup of all the five thousand cardboard boxes they used to pack my stuff with.

I did as such, and then the people from move.mil said my request for trash pickup was denied and there is nothing they can do about it. They said sometimes it gets approved, but not all the time.

So apparently now I'm left with getting rid of the boxes through y city recycling once a week...this should only take about two months! Screw it, no matter how much the movers despise me, I'm making them unpack all my poo poo for me from now on.

• Locked thread