Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mahoning posted:

They probably want to spend this NBA season letting the urban crowd know that "We've got the iPhone."
You're a regular Lee Atwater with you command of that dog whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ha, I worked for Sprint for 4 years, believe me....they have a certain target consumer. They aren't the title sponsor of NASCAR by coincidence as well.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Not gonna lie, I considered jumping to Verizon when they scored the exclusive NFL license. It was nice being able to watch the NFL network at work during the night shift.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

New sponsor of the NBA: SUCK IT T-MOBILE.

This should be the new thread title.

I seriously had a tmobile customer switch to sprint last week because sprint has the nascar app. It doesn't happen often, but some people get obsessive over little things like that (in my opinion, specifically football and nascar). So yeah, it's mostly advertising.

And I wish it was the NHL as well :/

goku chewbacca posted:

You're a regular Lee Atwater with you command of that dog whistle.

Honesty he is right. Tmobile is king of the urban market, where do you think those customers will go now that tmobile is having problems?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 16, 2011

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Can anyone weigh in on what Sprint service is like in the Colorado Springe/Denver area?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I work for FedEx and I know I get a corporate discount (22% I believe) and I am just checking that is comes off of the base plan cost. My Verizon discount is gimped because it doesn't effect my wife line for anything and I just want to make sure there is no bullshit like that with Sprint.

Also if I buy through something like Amazon can I add my employee discount afterwards?

Backno fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 16, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Backno posted:

So I work for FedEx and I know I get a corporate discount (22% I believe) and I am just checking that is comes off of the base plan cost. My Verizon discount is gimped because it doesn't effect my wife line for anything and I just want to make sure there is no bullshit like that with Sprint.

Also if I buy through something like Amazon can I add my employee discount afterwards?

Your discount is 25% and waives activation fees. It's better than verizon but only discounts the base plan. Example on the family plan:

$129 family plan for 2 lines.

$129 - 25% ($32). = $98 a month

$10 a line for smart phones. This doesn't get discounted.

$98 + $20 = $118 a month.

So not awful, but not perfect. And yes you can buy from anywhere.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Backno posted:

I think to take advantage of the no activation fees thing at least the first line should be set up by corporate.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Duckman2008 posted:

Your discount is 25% and waives activation fees. It's better than verizon but only discounts the base plan. Example on the family plan:

$129 family plan for 2 lines.

$129 - 25% ($32). = $98 a month

$10 a line for smart phones. This doesn't get discounted.

$98 + $20 = $118 a month.

So not awful, but not perfect. And yes you can buy from anywhere.

I pay about that atm for just my current plan with me on a smart phone and my wife on a dumb phone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm having a hard time deciding what to upgrade to. I'm a current Sprint customer but am past my previous 2 yr contract. Online it shows I've got the $150 upgrade credit. I previously had a Blackberry Curve 8330 and it was fine for what I needed.

I don't need a phone to play games nor do I care much about facebook or watching video from it. I could easily just go with a dumbphone but I have a few specific requirements I need from a phone including: GPS, occasional web / email access and use of Google Maps as well. I'd prefer battery life over performance / features any day. I have really enjoyed Sprints service and coverage so far so I have no wish to move to another carrier after bad experiences with others.

I'm looking at the Nexus S, the EVO Shift 4G and the EVO 3D. Would there be any reason to go with the EVO Design 4G or the EVO 4G? Is there something else out there that would fit my requirements better that I'm not considering? Budget isn't a huge deal, but I'd rather pay in the $99 range than the $199 range.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm not much of a smartphone consumer.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Duckman2008 posted:

After Christmas specials:

Evo 3D: $99
Shift: $50
View: $200

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

Evo 3D has the best hardware of pretty much any Sprint phone right now, and goes down to $99 after Christmas.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Breaky posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding what to upgrade to. I'm a current Sprint customer but am past my previous 2 yr contract. Online it shows I've got the $150 upgrade credit. I previously had a Blackberry Curve 8330 and it was fine for what I needed.

I don't need a phone to play games nor do I care much about facebook or watching video from it. I could easily just go with a dumbphone but I have a few specific requirements I need from a phone including: GPS, occasional web / email access and use of Google Maps as well. I'd prefer battery life over performance / features any day. I have really enjoyed Sprints service and coverage so far so I have no wish to move to another carrier after bad experiences with others.

I'm looking at the Nexus S, the EVO Shift 4G and the EVO 3D. Would there be any reason to go with the EVO Design 4G or the EVO 4G? Is there something else out there that would fit my requirements better that I'm not considering? Budget isn't a huge deal, but I'd rather pay in the $99 range than the $199 range.

I can't speak for the Design but the OG EVO 4G (I use to have) is not the good for battery life. The EVO 3D (my wife has) is great phone with not bad battery life (not as good as my iPhone but good) if you don't use 4G. My son has a Shift not a bad phone but honestly I am not a fan of it at all. Battery life better than the OG EVO but still not close to the 3D.

The Nexus S? If I was going to pick any phone to use right now (key words right now) on that list it would be the Nexus S. I like the size and overall design better (I am over the 4.3 or 4.5 inch phone, I think 4 inches is perfect). Plus being a Nexus phone I hope ICS wouldn't be too long around the corner. That said the hardware is already out of date by a year, and it is not a phone you want to have 2 years from now. So I guess that leaves the EVO 3D as the phone you should pick. I like the Epic Touch better (design wise), but not sure if that is on sell like the 3D is. I would play with the 3D at the store. I am not a fan of the screen at all, but that is personal preference.

Edit: Actually reading your post again I would tell you to get the Nexus S (is it free now?). Only reason I hesitate to tell you that is your mind might change once you get access to the marketplace, and you will wish you had a more powerful phone.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 16, 2011

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:unsmith:

Thanks very much for the replies. I may just wait until the post-xmas EVO3D pricedrop in this case.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Scored an AIRAVE from retentions this morning so hallelujah, a christmas miracle. I don't have to give up my Evo 3D.

As far as the E3D, I do like it a lot and recommend it. Most people have already covered the pros, if I had to think of a con towards it the screen is a bit hard to read in bright sunlight so you have to crank up the brightness but it's not too bad once you do that. Battery life is pretty dependent on your signal strength/coverage. At my old residence I could get a day and a half out of it with moderate usage (once went 4 days with minimal usage) with no problem, living where I live now where it roams a lot I get maybe 10-12 hours.

I'm an upgrade fanatic but I can see surviving another year with the E3D without a problem since it's quite a beefy phone and runs practically everything I've thrown at it perfectly.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Somehow my Sprint + Google Voice integration disabled itself on my EVO 3D, and sending messages from the stock messaging app results in them not reaching anyone.

When I try to re-enable it from the Google Voice settings on the website, it says there was an error and and to try again later. I did a factory reset because I was going to anyway, but going through the Google Voice app setup on the phone automatically skips the Sprint integration part after mentioning that it exists. ("Click Next to start the Sprint Integration" is what I see but clicking Next just asks me which Google account to use with it. I remember the process having an extra step when I first got the phone.)

I previously had it set up so that my Google Voice number was used for everything, but now only the option to use my Sprint number for the integration works. I haven't completed that process though, as I don't want to be using that number at all.

Any suggestions? Could the fact that I'm on MIUI instead of the stock Sense ROM have an issue with this? I don't have a problem swapping to a Sense ROM temporarily if this will fix the problem but I'd like to avoid it if I can. I know some numbers need to be dialed to redo the voicemail integration, but they just disconnect me after 2 seconds when I'm asked to dial it. Makes me wonder if the special codes the Sense dialer uses are needed for this? How do Nexus S users do it then? Aren't they on the AOSP dialer? (Eg. No ##775# etc)

And of course Google has no customer service number so I can't ask them to fix anything.

I'll try giving Sprint a call later to see if they can help, but I'm not hopeful that I'll get anyone with a brain cell, given my past experiences with their support.

Since I use my Google Voice number for all calls and texts (except MMS), I need to fix this. I'm using the Google Voice app for texts for now but it doesn't stay in memory or give me alerts when I get a text, so I have to manually open the app, hope it doesn't get stuck on a refresh again, and then reply from there.

If I can't figure this out and Sprint can't help, my last option is to add a temporary second forwarding phone, remove my old one, and then re-add / verify it. It's not very easy to get a temporary number to add from someone so I'd prefer to fix the issue.

Anything I'm missing? I'd love any advice at all at this point.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You try *38? I can activate and deactivate Google Voice by dialing that.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

nate fisher posted:

You try *38? I can activate and deactivate Google Voice by dialing that.

Yeah, it's one of the numbers I tried. Just disconnects the line after 2 seconds and nothing changes.

I can set my voicemail provider to Google Voice in the phone settings but it also has no effect on the issue that I can tell.

Edit: These are the screens / errors I receive when trying to enable it through the website:

After choosing option #2:

Mina fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 16, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Breaky posted:

:unsmith:

Thanks very much for the replies. I may just wait until the post-xmas EVO3D pricedrop in this case.

Don't forget to check out the HTC Arrive, it is a nice Windows phone. If it's specifically *Google* Maps you want and not just any map software, then the Android phones are a better choice, of course. There is a Google Maps app that somebody made for Windows Phone but it won't be as fancy as the Android version.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Is there some recent change with sending short codes through google voice on sprint phones? I try sending a msg to redbox this morning for their holiday promotion and I get an error that short codes aren't supported and asks if I want to send it through my native sms. Up till the most recent GV update, it always worked fine.

If I go to the website, I can send it and see the responses I'm not getting. I can also send to the short code without problems.

If I change the settings to get messages to my old messaging app and GV I'll see the sent and received texts on both programs on my phone.

Maybe it's just me? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and get the same error. The number is 727272 and you send FUN to it for a discount code.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I've been doing a family plan share with my parents for the longest to save cash. We are breaking up the plan before end of year around XMAS. Whats the best way for me to score a pro deal (SERO I guess?) and still use my current phone or upgrade to a new phone? (current phone is an Evo 4G)

Ideally I'd like to get on a plan thats low minutes, low texts and unlimited data and keep my old #.

Any tips on how I go about it? The Rents just want to break the plan and sign right back up in-store but I feel like that's the worst way to get a deal.

Thoughts?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody know how closely Sprint is looking at S-OFF/S-ON when doing returns? I dropped my phone while it was plugged in, and it messed up the USB jack to a point where I can't plug it in for charging or for data. I can get back to the stock ROM easily enough (juggling batteries/SD cards with my wife's 3D), but I need to be plugged in to my computer to set S-ON...or, do I? Is there another way?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

Anybody know how closely Sprint is looking at S-OFF/S-ON when doing returns? I dropped my phone while it was plugged in, and it messed up the USB jack to a point where I can't plug it in for charging or for data. I can get back to the stock ROM easily enough (juggling batteries/SD cards with my wife's 3D), but I need to be plugged in to my computer to set S-ON...or, do I? Is there another way?

Sprint doesn't currently care if the phone is rooted or flashed.

Breaky posted:

Evo 3D after Christmas for $99. Nexus is good as well, but I would go 3D.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 17, 2011

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Krittick posted:

Yeah, it's one of the numbers I tried. Just disconnects the line after 2 seconds and nothing changes.

I can set my voicemail provider to Google Voice in the phone settings but it also has no effect on the issue that I can tell.

As an update to this issue:

I spoke to three different Sprint tech support reps (after waiting on hold for 15 minutes each time) throughout the day today. Only the third one had even heard of the Google Voice integration. He said that it's an issue with Google and to reinstall the Google Voice app. Even though I've done this before, I tried again. Still skips the integration step.

At this point he tells me to call Google and refuses to stay on the line when I tell him that Google has no customer service number.

Really getting sick of Sprint's loving awful phone support. Do I seriously need to call retentions for a technical issue to be fixed? Could they even do anything?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krittick posted:

As an update to this issue:

I spoke to three different Sprint tech support reps (after waiting on hold for 15 minutes each time) throughout the day today. Only the third one had even heard of the Google Voice integration. He said that it's an issue with Google and to reinstall the Google Voice app. Even though I've done this before, I tried again. Still skips the integration step.

At this point he tells me to call Google and refuses to stay on the line when I tell him that Google has no customer service number.

Really getting sick of Sprint's loving awful phone support. Do I seriously need to call retentions for a technical issue to be fixed? Could they even do anything?

Did you get transferred to advance tech support? Those cats know their stuff pretty well, I usually don't have an issue with them. Unfortunately sprint kill switched the direct number to them, so you have to get transferred.

Repair center near by you can take it to? My guess would be to do RTN reset and have sprint refresh the network on their end at the same time. See if that does it.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you get transferred to advance tech support? Those cats know their stuff pretty well, I usually don't have an issue with them. Unfortunately sprint kill switched the direct number to them, so you have to get transferred.

Repair center near by you can take it to? My guess would be to do RTN reset and have sprint refresh the network on their end at the same time. See if that does it.

It was advanced tech support for the second and third reps, or so they said. For all I know they stuck me back in the normal phone queue.

My experience with the local repair center the last time I had an issue with my phone doesn't make that a viable option, as I'm sure they'll somehow make it worse.

I'm going to try adding a temporary forwarding phone and removing my Sprint phone from Google Voice entirely, if I can borrow my friend's phone for a few minutes tonight. Hopefully adding it back will fix it, otherwise I'll be calling and asking to speak to advanced tech support right off the bat once more before I try retentions.

I'm apparently not the only one with the issue after doing some searching, but of course the last response from Google in the issue thread on their forums is from May...

Edit: Added a secondary number, deleted the main one, wiped Google Voice app data. Then I tried enabling it from the Google Voice website again, and it said it was successful this time. Logged into the app again and the integration went through. Sending texts from the standard SMS apps now uses my Google Voice number as god intended. Such a loving headache, but glad I didn't have to call retentions.

Mina fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
When I had an issue with Google Voice, flashing back to stock fixed my problem for some reason. You can give that a try. I didn't have quite the same issue as you, but it's worth a shot.

edit: nevermind I guess you fixed it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anybody have any ideas about why I wouldn't be able to add my google account to my Evo? Every single time I try it shits out an invalid password error, even though I know for a 100% fact that the username/password combo is correct. I've even changed the password once just to be double sure.

This is basically beyond infuriating.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Schwack posted:

Anybody have any ideas about why I wouldn't be able to add my google account to my Evo? Every single time I try it shits out an invalid password error, even though I know for a 100% fact that the username/password combo is correct. I've even changed the password once just to be double sure.

This is basically beyond infuriating.

Are you using 2-factor authentication on that Google account? You need to generate a device password if you are.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

900ftjesus posted:

Are you using 2-factor authentication on that Google account? You need to generate a device password if you are.

Well, I'm basically the dumbest guy around.

I'm so used to having them ask for the application specific password that it didn't even cross my mind to do this.

Thanks a lot, you've brought my long search to an end.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So I just got a new battery for my Evo 4g. It's just a stock replacement, not an extended life. Do I need to do any sort of battery stats reset (and if so, how do I do that. I seem to remember it being an option in recovery?), or should I just plug it in and be good to go?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My guess: plug it in and let it charge all the way up, then unplug and let it drain to 0. Then recharge and use as normal.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is there a goon favorite EVO 3D rom? I tried synergy and it was garbage. MIUI was great but the battery life was terrible and Warm is incredibly ugly compared to MIUI.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll be going to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, two weeks from today and I'll be there four days. I guessing they have coverage there since my friend got an Epic 4G Touch at a Sprint store there. So I guess my question is do I have to do anything in terms of roaming, or is everything the same there as it is here in the US?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Smeed posted:

Is there a goon favorite EVO 3D rom? I tried synergy and it was garbage. MIUI was great but the battery life was terrible and Warm is incredibly ugly compared to MIUI.

Fresh or CleanROM. Consensus seems to be that CleanROM is getting worse over time but Fresh is still really good.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Smeed posted:

Fresh has been great for me on the EVO 4G and EVO 3D.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Fresh has been great for me on the EVO 4G and EVO 3D.

This is what I've been using for awhile now and it works great. Pretty much stock without the garbage.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Does the 3D camera and screen work with Fresh? They're gimmicky but I like 'em.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I've been using SwaggedOut Stock for about 24 hours now and as a stock Sense replacement it seems pretty nifty. However I'm basically the least discerning consumer of mods at this point and would probably be happy with almost anything. Any reason to swap to fresh?

This is on a plain ol' Evo 4G by the way.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Toebone posted:

Does the 3D camera and screen work with Fresh? They're gimmicky but I like 'em.

Yup, as far as I can tell everything works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Any sense based rom should be feature complete.